• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How awesome would have been Russia if they finished this building...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

The Palace of Soviets.

Palace_of_Soviets_-_perspectice.jpg

From wikipedia:

The Palace of Soviets (Russian: Дворец Советов, Dvorets Sovetov) was a project to construct an administrative center and a congress hall in Moscow, Russia, near the Kremlin, on the site of the demolished Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. The architectural contest for the Palace of Soviets (1931-1933) was won by Boris Iofan's neoclassical concept, subsequently revised by Iofan, Vladimir Shchuko and Vladimir Gelfreikh into a supertall skyscraper. If built, it would have become the world's tallest structure. Construction started in 1937, and was terminated by the German invasion in 1941. In 1941-1942, its steel frame was disassembled for use in fortifications and bridges. Construction was never resumed. In 1958, the foundations of the Palace were converted into what would become the world's largest open-air swimming pool. The Cathedral was rebuilt in 1995-2000.[1]
A nearby subway station, built in 1935 as Palace of Soviets station, was renamed Kropotkinskaya in 1957.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Soviets

That building looked so damn epic!.

Tabris

I wish we as a civilization made wonders like this again. It seems like the only place that has tried anything big was Dubai.

batbeg

I don't know, would they have built it on the moon? No? Because they didn't ever land on it? Fuck yeah they didn't. americanflag.gif

That building looks fucking awesome.

ruxtpin

Banned
That History Channel show - "Cities of the Underworld" I think it it's called - had an episode where the featured what the OP is talking about. The show was all about Russia, but they let the host explore some of the foundation for the aforementioned building; it's pretty interesting stuff.

Not only that, the host discussed this secret subway system running underneath Moscow. It's a shameless plug for the show, but I love that type of stuff. Secret societies and all that jazz; it's probably why I liked the game Deus Ex much. =P

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Russia was ,is and will be awesome.

Kabouter

Powerslave said:
Still, they have:

http://www.john.bothner.com/travels/volga/motherRussia.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Not for long...
[quote]The statue is currently leaning due to groundwater level changes causing movement of the foundations; the leaning is rapidly getting worse. The statue is not fixed to its foundations and is held in place only by its weight. It has moved by 20 centimeters and is not expected to be able to move much further without collapsing.[/quote]

Fireblend

Banned
Tabris said:
I wish we as a civilization made wonders like this again. It seems like the only place that has tried anything big was Dubai.
I definitely agree with this. We could make stuff so awesome and breath-taking. Too bad it costs money, and making a wonder for no particular reason seems a bit easy to criticize, since there's much better things to spend money on.

Also:
Fersis said:
Russia was ,is and will be awesome.
I wish I'll be able to visit it someday.

Mik2121

Tabris said:
Seriously. We need more epic looking buildings! Not just big skyscrapers, but actually something that's really innovative like back a few thousand years ago when the Egyptians built the pyramids, etc..

I would love to see something that epic, but I guess chances are incredibly low :( Only some dictator would spend so much money on a building without caring what everybody else said regarding the money spent.

Tabris

Fireblend said:
I definitely agree with this. We could make stuff so awesome and breath-taking. Too bad it costs money, and making a wonder for no particular reason seems a bit easy to criticize, since there's much better things to spend money on.

Yeah, I agree, but honestly I wouldn't mind giving up $30 a year to make something amazing.

If every American citizen did that, $30 x 350m = 10 billion a year. Think that's enough to make something amazing? It would also feed the economy all the jobs required for a huge project like that.

EDIT - Fixed my math lol.

Tabris said:
Yeah, I agree, but honestly I wouldn't mind giving up $30 a year to make something amazing.

If every American citizen did that, $30 x 350m = 1 trillion a year. Think that's enough to make something amazing? It would also feed the economy all the jobs required for a huge project like that.

I do think that would be cool, but that money would be better used elsewhere.

Fireblend

Banned
Tabris said:

If every American citizen did that, $30 x 350m = 1 trillion a year. Think that's enough to make something amazing? It would also feed the economy all the jobs required for a huge project like that.
It would also be good for culture, maybe? It wouldn't be too bad for humanity to treat itself to some "pride project" once in a while. It'd be awesome if all governments of the world did this, and it was actually a global project, aimed to unite humanity and create consciousness on how we all belong to the planet and it's our responsibility to take care of it as well as ourselves.
Until it is revealed that the building is actually a doomsday machine, created to control us by some secret cult organization

Mik2121

Tabris said:
Burj Dubai only cost 20 billion.

Damn, then we do seriously need an epic building built by some country!

I bet in 1000 years when we get contact with aliens and join some galaxy federation and the earth becomes one ("country"), the main headquarters for the Earth would be some kind of super epic building, but until then we need something else!

I'm kidding!...

By the time we join the galaxy federation we will be in so many planets that I doubt the Earth would get to hold that building :(

Mik2121

giga said:
I went on to see what's the largest open air pool now. Resort in Chile which is 1000 meters long, 19 acres:

http://thugian.com.vn/uploads/news/San%20Alfonso%20del%20Mar%20Resort.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Wow! I would love to swim from one side to the other on that pool!.

It's the best part of dictatorships. The gigantic structures built by their megalomaniac leaders.
Except for North Korea. They suck at it (but even the pyramid has an awesome villainy style to it).

Tabris said:

If every American citizen did that, $30 x 350m = 10 billion a year. Think that's enough to make something amazing? It would also feed the economy all the jobs required for a huge project like that.

EDIT - Fixed my math lol.
Isn't the population of the United States just barely over 300 million (307 I think) and even that, at least 20% of that is children. So it's more like 240m and then once you factor in all the poor and senile population you're probably lucky if you reach 230 million.

maharg

idspispopd
ruxtpin said:
That History Channel show - "Cities of the Underworld" I think it it's called - had an episode where the featured what the OP is talking about. The show was all about Russia, but they let the host explore some of the foundation for the aforementioned building; it's pretty interesting stuff.

Not only that, the host discussed this secret subway system running underneath Moscow. It's a shameless plug for the show, but I love that type of stuff. Secret societies and all that jazz; it's probably why I liked the game Deus Ex much. =P

That show is so full of shit.

Tabris

Souldriver said:
It's the best part of dictatorships. The gigantic structures built by their megalomaniac leaders.
Except for North Korea. They suck at it (but even the pyramid has an awesome villainy style to it).

It's not based on dictatorships. America earlier in the 20th century created such things as Empire State Building, Washington Monument, Mount Rushmore (which I think is tacky but along the same idea) etc. Things that weren't economically smart but they did it anyways. The renainsance gave birth to amazing wonders with no dictatorship.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
megateto said:
Weren't the nazis going to build some kind of über dome topping building with absurd measures too?

a boner for opulent neo-classical architecture is the common thread i share with hitler.

yes very awesome.

there should be a lot of huge statues to imo. much bigger than statue of liberty.

lots of great building designs have not been realised unfortunately

Mik2121

We need to make this the official COLOSSAL STRUCTURES THREAD!

And have people post other epic buildings even if they were just projects that never existed in anything other than paper and someone's mind!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom