• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How awesome would have been Russia if they finished this building...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserbeam

Banned
mattiewheels said:
so....when are we getting some weird piece of shit to replace the world trade center?

how long do these things take?
2013 I think now but ask again tommorrow and it will probably be 20never.

Silverstein and the Port Authority are in dispute as usual so it keeps slowing shit down because Silverstein wants financial backing on 3 towers while PA says 1.

Should have said fuck you to both parties and just rebuilt the towers the same way no bickering over towers etc then.

jillytot said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Seed_4000
xseed40003.jpg
that looks unreal

Ri'Orius

Fireblend said:
It would also be good for culture, maybe? It wouldn't be too bad for humanity to treat itself to some "pride project" once in a while. It'd be awesome if all governments of the world did this, and it was actually a global project, aimed to unite humanity and create consciousness on how we all belong to the planet and it's our responsibility to take care of it as well as ourselves.
Until it is revealed that the building is actually a doomsday machine, created to control us by some secret cult organization

You mean the World's Fair?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
laserbeam said:
2013 I think now but ask again tommorrow and it will probably be 20never.

Silverstein and the Port Authority are in dispute as usual so it keeps slowing shit down because Silverstein wants financial backing on 3 towers while PA says 1.

Should have said fuck you to both parties and just rebuilt the towers the same way no bickering over towers etc then.
i wonder why the thought of just rebuilding the towers as they were, with a more modern and sound structural design, isn't happening. why does it have to be some kind of statement or conceptual building?

laserbeam

Banned
mattiewheels said:
i wonder why the thought of just rebuilding the towers as they were, with a more modern and sound structural design, isn't happening. why does it have to be some kind of statement or conceptual building?

Who knows if anything rebuilding the old ones would have been more of a Statement and as you said the information learned could have allowed for internal structure changes and shit if they were so hung up on 1776 just make the towers taller.

I admit I was kinda partial to this though
34g2ecn.jpg

Any architecture buffs hear any inklings about construction on the Chicago Spire re-starting? I know the foundation was done before the economy collapsed...

laserbeam

Banned
reggieandTFE said:
Any architecture buffs hear any inklings about construction on the Chicago Spire re-starting? I know the foundation was done before the economy collapsed...

As of October 08 construction is delayed until economy recovers so probably not gonna happen for at least 3-4 years. Alot of questions swirling about if financial backing still exists though.

Architect who designed it has sued to have a lien placed on the property due to not being paid yet.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Always-honest said:
Daniel Libeskind should have been given the chance to do this.

He got a building design near the WTC that is about to break groundnear the MetLife building.

Speaking of unbuilt projects, here is the MetLife North tower. It was partially finished and then scrapped during the great depression. The base of it is still there.. it would have been as tall as the Empire State Building

GRP19-502.jpg

Here is what is finished:

00004d3a

and a cool "what if" pic from the ESB

3231995481_1e36025d18_o.jpg

Trurl

Banned
Always-honest said:
yeah, dome of germania:
germania.jpg
Mastoid.

Most of these structures look as oppressive as the regimes that designed them.

I even hate that giant statue, The Mother Land Calls. Perhaps it's impressive, but the thing is a monstrosity and creepy. The size of these things seems dehumanizing.

Timbuktu

Speaking of unbuilt projects, one of the most disappointing to have been scrapped in recent years would be Peter Zumthor's Topography of Terror in Berlin.

080919-lis-zumthor-0043.jpg

080919-lis-zumthor-0048.jpg

080919-lis-zumthor-0055.jpg

neubau_2.jpg

I guess no model, drawing or photograph can ever match the real thing for Zumthor. His finished projects are so finely crafted. The Berlin government were too in debt to build this so it was finally cancelled and demolished in 2004 to make way for a new competition now funded by the German government.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
laserbeam said:
That would be it. Hitler basically had Ancient Rome on the brain when it came time to design his perfect Berlin

Not just Berlin. The salute, the eagle on the wreath, etc. All Roman symbols. Even the helmets to some extent.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Ether_Snake said:
Not just Berlin. The salute, the eagle on the wreath, etc. All Roman symbols. Even the helmets to some extent.

It's not surprising. Hitler envisioned Nazi Germany as a belated successor state to the Roman Empire.

maharg

idspispopd
industrian said:
It's not surprising. Hitler envisioned Nazi Germany as a belated successor state to the Roman Empire.

Pretty much every major power sees itself as that. Just look at architecture in Washington (along with some government terminology, including Republic), the name Tsar in Russia, British legends of King Arthur being a roman, etc. Legitimacy for governments who believe in Exceptionalism almost always harken back to Rome somehow.

industrian

maharg said:
Pretty much every major power sees itself as that. Just look at architecture in Washington (along with some government terminology, including Republic), the name Tsar in Russia, British legends of King Arthur being a roman, etc. Legitimacy for governments who believe in Exceptionalism almost always harken back to Rome somehow.

Hence the reason why both Moscow and London dubbed themselves the New Rome. Hitler took it one step further in the "let's take over Europe" department though.

Trurl said:
Mastoid.

Most of these structures look as oppressive as the regimes that designed them.

I even hate that giant statue, The Mother Land Calls. Perhaps it's impressive, but the thing is a monstrosity and creepy. The size of these things seems dehumanizing.

ofcourse. it's ridiculous... megalomania to the max.
still, i like the complete surreal feeling these huge over the top structures give me (as do mountains, glaciers, etc..).

as archtitecture, it's probably impressive and daunting, but stupid and ugly at the same time.

Tabris said:
You guys realize that the future super power of the world is currently communist?

nothing about China is communist. Police State, maybe. Nationalism, absolutely. But their economic civic is definitely Free Market for the foreseeable future

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not that it's a super structure or anything, but I love what they did with the bundestag in berlin in terms of modernising an old building, with the big glass dome and stuff.

1671173746_c0eabc0f4a.jpg

It's quite neat.

Arjen

gofreak said:
Not that it's a super structure or anything, but I love what they did with the bundestag in berlin in terms of modernising an old building, with the big glass dome and stuff.

It's quite neat.

Agreed, inside of the glass dome is beyond awesome.

Timbuktu

Talking about building on top of old buildings though, I also like CaixaForum Madrid by Herzog & de Meuron and Kolumba Art Museum of the Cologne by Peter Zumthor

0140201-421.jpg
0278819-421.jpg

pritzker-prize011.jpg
pritzker-prize007.jpg

Leonsito

photo122.jpg

Sucks what represents, but is an amazing structure, and insanely long in the inside (more than the Vatican).

Edit: Timbuktu, CaixaForum is amazing.

Johann

Tabris said:
I wish we as a civilization made wonders like this again. It seems like the only place that has tried anything big was Dubai.

Well, we have women's suffrage. Civilization 3 told me it was a wonder.

Johann said:
Well, we have women's suffrage. Civilization 3 told me it was a wonder.

No wonder people think Civ 3 was the worst. :lol

I do agree that it would be cool to get back to making these enormous, resource wasting structures, but we have enough crap to blow our resources on these days, I suppose.

Hyoushi

GMB said:
Seriously, it might not look as horrible when finished. That new pic you posted was at least a little bit better...
Hehe. Well, they are not actually finishing the hotel, so far they only got contracted to put some comms antennae in the top area of the building, and they are putting a glass facade up strictly for aesthetic purposes. But for now, no funding exists to actually finish the internal structure to make it operational.

gofreak said:

It's quite neat.

Man that level was a BITCH on veteran. Grrr.

Awesome pic though I really want to get there to see stuff like that.

I always thought the Petronas twin towers was pretty cool. Seen here:

Petronas_Panorama_II.jpg

The Sagrada Familia church is currently under construction in Barcelona and is expected to completed sometime around 2026. I really like the amount of detail, and once the building is complete the tallest tower will be 170m tall.

2ufx2xd.jpg

2ms3o8n.jpg

industrian

1138 said:
The Sagrada Familia church is currently under construction in Barcelona and is expected to completed sometime around 2026. I really like the amount of detail, and once the building is complete the tallest tower will be 170m tall.

If that gets completed in my lifetime it will be quite a surprise. They've been working on it forever.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Tabris said:
Why can't America make a building like that?[/QUOTE]

Because we spend significantly more money than we already have on paranoia driven foreign policy, and on corporate welfare for banks.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Fritz said:
For those who have been to Berlin: notice the Brandenburg Gate in the lower middle and the Reichstag situated on the right side of the square in front of the dome!

Its ridiculous and ugly as fuck. The sowjet stuff is much cooler.
Bundesarchiv_Bild_146III-373%2C_Modell_der_Neugestaltung_Berlins_%28%22Germania%22%29.jpg

Here was the layout for Berlin..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom