• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How awesome would have been Russia if they finished this building...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one reminded of King Kong?
kingkong.jpg

Tabris

architecture,dubai,photography,xiffy-3a8994dcb84bfc1c9392a9c4eeac8aaa_h.jpg

Getting close to completition... only slowed due to the economy hit but that's slowly coming back to normal levels so they should be back on track in a couple of years for the rest of their developments.

Why can't America make a building like that?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tabris said:
I wish we as a civilization made wonders like this again.
It's because the last major wonder that was completed was Hollywood, and now most of the major cities that aren't busy producing military units or factories are stuck making hit movies and singles to try and keep the populace from revolting.

Fritz

DKnight said:

For those who have been to Berlin: notice the Brandenburg Gate in the lower middle and the Reichstag situated on the right side of the square in front of the dome!

Its ridiculous and ugly as fuck. The sowjet stuff is much cooler.

Wes

venison crêpe
They all pale in comparison to the 50 METRE TALL HORSE.

angel-of-the-south.jpg

About to begin being built in Kent.

ruxtpin

Banned
Wes said:
They all pale in comparison to the 50 METRE TALL HORSE.

angel-of-the-south.jpg

About to begin being built in Kent.

haha. awesome.

I'll see your giant horse, and raise you a massive peachoid.

GaffneySCPeachoidAtNight.jpg

Gaffney, SC. Looks like a giant ass crack when you first see it, and then you get under it and looks like hemorrhoid behind a massive camel toe.

DKnight said:
http://i31.tinypic.com/2vb0isp.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/21k9efs.jpg[IMG]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkshalle[/url]

Not as impressive IMO.[/QUOTE]

My favorite part of that: It was going to be so large, that in cold weather and with 180,000 people in it, that the respiration would actually accumulate at the top of the dome, precipitate, and fall back down.

That's right, it would rain spit.

Undeux

vas_a_morir said:
Am I seriously the only one who sees the lego Hitler face?

1192hlj.jpg

Very glad someone else mentioned that. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and thought I was imagining it. :p

The Illinois was a proposed mile-high (1,609 meters/5,280 feet) skyscraper, envisioned by Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright believed that it would have been technically possible to construct such a building even at the time it was proposed. The design included 528 stories, with a gross area of 18.46 million square feet.

Interesting Fact: A number of problems occurred in Wright's design of The Illinois including space that was needed to service the elevators which would occupy all of the space available on the lower floors, thus defeating the purpose of the building's height.

theillinois.jpg

Ultima Tower
Designed in 1991 for San Francisco California

This design is obviously more of a far fetched vision than a seriously considered project but I wanted to include it in this list because it's really cool. Architect Eugene Tsui originally conceived the idea of the Ultima Tower as part of a study of the compact urban area of San Francisco. The structure would utilize atmospheric energy conversion by converting the difference in atmospheric pressure at the top and bottom of the structure into electrical power. The Ultima Tower is 500 stories tall (two miles high) and is intended to house one million residents.

Interesting Fact: The structure's shape is modeled after the tallest structure not made by man- African termite nests.

ultima-tower-city.jpg

agrajag

Banned
Russia's Ostankino tower was also the world's tallest free-standing structure for a whopping 9 years and the world's second tallest for another 30 years.

IMG_2229.jpg

And the whole thing caught on fire a few years ago!

Undeux said:
Very glad someone else mentioned that. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and thought I was imagining it. :p

it was intentionally. at a certain day in the year the face of hitler would be visible.

Man, we need to get back to those 'who can built the coolest shit' contests. Let's start with a huge tower on the moon! Just because we can, and it would be awesome :D

artist

Banned
Mik2121 said:
We need to make this the official COLOSSAL STRUCTURES THREAD!

And have people post other epic buildings even if they were just projects that never existed in anything other than paper and someone's mind!.
Good idea.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
so....when are we getting some weird piece of shit to replace the world trade center?

how long do these things take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom