• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

Gorgon

Yeah, that 3-square radius scan idea makes sense now that I look better at the pic. Maybe what your scan reveals depends on what upgrades you have made to your suit/equipment and that would be why Forma and Enemy are both lit up, including the unexplored area.

Yaweee said:
But both the Enemy and Forma are lit up, whereas previous screens showed those as two distinct types of scans.

The icons might stay on your map once you've located them with a scan, even if you move on to do a different scan.

And is that a regular enemy, meaning that random battles aren't actually random, is it a scripted encounter, or are there FOE-type enemies?

One of the earlier videos seemed to suggest that there are scripted encounters (possibly with rare or unique demons) in addition to random fights.

duckroll

090828_01.jpg
090828_02.jpg

090828_03.jpg
090828_04.jpg

OMG look at the awesome background! :eek:

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
charlequin said:
Huh. I'm actually kind of curious how this works. Where are you seeing these kind of painted backgrounds instead of rendered 3D spaces?
In battle. They've done a great job with the 3D environments too though:

2zso76u.jpg

These are all 3D environment screens.

jj984jj said:
In battle. They've done a great job with the 3D environments too though:

2zso76u.jpg

These are all 3D environment screens.

Yeah, durr. For some reason I got the impression these were "event" screens rather than battle negotiation screens so I was like "what's up with the backgrounds?!" :lol

Dresden

I was depressed over the news of Persona 3 being re-released on the PSP, but this thread cheered me right back up. Can't wait to pop this thing into my DSi.

I hope they don't have any teenage romance thing in this game, though. Most likely won't, looking at the crew members.

Yaweee

All of those backgrounds look awesome. I think it gives a good of how huge the game is going to be (

Is the demon featured in the newest screenshots a new design?

duckroll said:
No, it's Bifrons from Soul Hackers.

Ah, thanks. SMT2 and Soul Hackers have so damn many that haven't been in any of the US games.

duckroll

Yaweee said:
All of those backgrounds look awesome. I think it gives a good of how huge the game is going to be (

Is the demon featured in the newest screenshots a new design?

No, it's Bifrons from Soul Hackers. The only new demon designs revealed so far are Morax, Bugaboo and the new Asura design.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
Man, I only just noticed that the demon sprites actually all have shadows, and the shadows animate as well! Pretty awesome detail. :eek:

I'm loving the detail.

Yaweee

Oooh, .75 seconds of battle footage, a level up screen, and some dude talking while dramatic music plays!

Why are they tormenting us? Just show us some substantial battle footage! At least the animations look pretty quick (faster than Devil Survivor) from the tidbit they show...

Does the side information reveal anything new?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Who are the demons in the new screenshots?

Also which one is Bifrons in the last batch of shots?

duckroll

HK-47 said:
Who are the demons in the new screenshots?

Also which one is Bifrons in the last batch of shots?

Bifrons is the demon carrying the torch. The demons in the new screen are Inferno from SMT2 and Macabre from Devil Summoner.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
Bifrons is the demon carrying the torch. The demons in the new screen are Inferno from SMT2 and Macabre from Devil Summoner.

Thank ye kindly, duckroll. I wish there was a site that had the art work for all the Soul Hackers/Devil Summoner/Persona 2/SMT1&2 demon/personas.

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
I wonder how many different environments/dungeons there are.

Well, we've seen 8 distinct battle backgrounds now which are clearly in completely different areas. There are at least 2 other areas shown outside of combat would would need to have battle backgrounds different from the ones shown so far. I honestly expect there to be many more, because 10 locations or so still isn't a lot. They better not have shown everything off before the game is out. :p

duckroll

Hobbun said:
Actually, it is a long wait if you are one waiting for localization.

Well considering this thread is "Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)" and not "Atlus USA announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)", do you really think I give a fuck? :)

Volcynika

duckroll said:
Well considering this thread is "Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)" and not "Atlus USA announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)", do you really think I give a fuck? :)

Sometimes people aren't specific with the Atlus announcements, even some of the threads about US branch announcements dont have the US/USA tacked on, you didn't put JP at the end of yours!

IM CONFUSED

/not really

duckroll

Volcynika said:
Sometimes people aren't specific with the Atlus announcements, even some of the threads about US branch announcements dont have the US/USA tacked on, you didn't put JP at the end of yours!

IM CONFUSED

/not really

DAMNIT! FOILED AGAIN! :((((

Hobbun

duckroll said:

I never said you did, but you quoted someone who obviously is waiting for the NA release, which is a long wait.

duckroll

Hobbun said:
I never said you did, but you quoted someone who obviously is waiting for the NA release, which is a long wait.

You're all wusses, it's going to be 5-6 months after the JP release at most. After all, that's how long it took for them to release Devil Survivor and Persona PSP right? That's nothing compared to the almost TWO YEAR wait for Layton 2. :p

Hobbun

duckroll said:
You're all wusses, it's going to be 5-6 months after the JP release at most. After all, that's how long it took for them to release Devil Survivor and Persona PSP right? That's nothing compared to the almost TWO YEAR wait for Layton 2. :p

Well, if it’s only 5-6 months, that’s not too bad I was thinking it would be almost a year.

duckroll

Hobbun said:
Well, if it’s only 5-6 months, that’s not too bad I was thinking it would be almost a year.

- Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES took 1 year each to arrive in the US after the JP release.
- Raidou and Raidou 2 took 7 months each.
- Persona 4, Devil Survivor and Persona PSP took 5 months each.

I would say 5-7 months for Strange Journey is a very likely scenario.

duckroll

Today's daily blog entry for SMT:SJ has the director answering a few more fan questions. This time it's about save slots.

- He confirms that there will be NG+, and that there's exclusive content reserved for subsequent playthroughs. He doesn't want to give any specific details, because of spoilers.

- He also confirms that because of the huge amount of save data they're using, they had to choose between having 2 save slots and no quicksave slot, or 1 save slot and 1 quicksave slot. After some deliberation and testing, he found that having 2 save slots is the best option for the player, so he requests that players put up with the lack of quicksave and use the sleep mode on the DS instead.

- Finally he comments that while there is no quicksave (in particular he's saying there is no "save anywhere" feature, meaning the game uses save points), you will be able to return to the title menu from the pause menu at any time if you need to abandon your current game to load another file instead.

duckroll said:
- He also confirms that because of the huge amount of save data they're using, they had to choose between having 2 save slots and no quicksave slot, or 1 save slot and 1 quicksave slot. After some deliberation and testing, he found that having 2 save slots is the best option for the player, so he requests that players put up with the lack of quicksave and use the sleep mode on the DS instead.

Sounds good to me! I basically never use quicksaves in DS games given that the damn thing can sit in sleep mode for like a million years without dying, and this way my wife and I don't need to buy two copies like we did for both EOs. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I dont know if this was mentioned but will the new transferable demon skills overwrite inheritance rules, like fire moves dont transfer to ice demons and so on?

duckroll

HK-47 said:
I dont know if this was mentioned but will the new transferable demon skills overwrite inheritance rules, like fire moves dont transfer to ice demons and so on?

We don't know exactly how things work just yet. We'll either only find out when the game is released, or if they have more detailed information in an upcoming update or preview.

vegee

Banned
Wow, Atlus really pumps out their games. Someday when I have money again, I'll have some catching up to do.

sfried

So is the music streaming or synthesized? Because that's some pretty good quality instrumentation for real-time generated "orchestra" style soundtrack.

Gorgon

duckroll said:
Gpara's article had one extra screenshot which is brand new! :eek:

34xs6ma.jpg

A crocodile coming out of what seems like an open cage on the right side of the screen? And on the left side what seems to be the front part of an WW2 airplane?!?

Some weird shit going on in this game, me tells you.

duckroll

Gorgon said:
A crocodile coming out of what seems like an open cage on the right side of the screen? And on the left side what seems to be the front part of an WW2 airplane?!?

You have amazingly sharp eyes. :D

Here's more weirdness:

2z8z21e.jpg

If they're in another dimension accessed from a void in the south pole, why is there a radioactive barrel in a wasteland? :eek:

duckroll said:
Finally he comments that while there is no quicksave (in particular he's saying there is no "save anywhere" feature, meaning the game uses save points), you will be able to return to the title menu from the pause menu at any time if you need to abandon your current game to load another file instead.

Useful, although I think SMT3 did it best: a load game option from the party menu.

Gorgon

duckroll said:
Here's more weirdness:

2z8z21e.jpg

If they're in another dimension accessed from a void in the south pole, why is there a radioactive barrel in a wasteland? :eek:

Yeah, I remember that one :lol

Wasn't there some hints in the game introduction that the dimension appeared due to human actions, although no one was sure? Maybe some governments have been dumping radioactive waste near Antarctica in secret and this is the result. Maybe the game has some environmental message as background. Oh, and maybe that airplane came from the Bermuda Triangle.

Cheesy, I know, but I woudn't be actually surprised :lol

Gorgon said:

:lol

i don't know what's going on either, but i'm loving it!

duckroll

Today's blog update is pretty boring. It's just a recap of the demon fusion system without new details, and the same 3 screens Famitsu's article had. What is interesting is that he promises that the demon fusion system will be covered in next week's update. Hopefully we get a nice detailed video on the process.

Yesterday's blog update had the director answering another question, this time about touch screen use. He said that while the automap on the bottom screen can only be scrolled using the stylus, the rest of the game is completely controlled by buttons. The reason being that he feels that playing the DS with both hands holding the system is the most comfortable way to play the game, and that is how he wants the game to be played.

The blog entry also has the blogger hyping up a "major" announcement coming very soon. No hint of what it is though. Maybe they're finally going to update with full gameplay-centric trailer?

Yaweee

Maybe the "major" announcement is that they're kicking random skill inheritance to the gutter, forever, because the system sucks.

Sigh. I wish. I don't have any idea what a "major" announcement would be for Atlus, outside of a new game. But they already have 3 games announced yet to be released, which might be tied for the most they've ever had in queue?

Top Bottom