• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

duckroll

NichM said:
This thread reminds me: I was digging through an older thread about Devil Survivor and found this from duckroll:

Elsewhere in the thread, he's unaccountably convinced that Devil Survivor will be a CoM/BD+ style RTS and that the only reason Meguro would be going into the studio to do vocal tracks is for a FES edition of P4. Not one of his more prophetic days. :lol

2ntibro.jpg

Apenheul

I'm not familiar with the SMT games but I hope Strange Journey doesn't resemble Etrian Odyssey too much. I love EO but it took (for me) at least 5 strata, 20 floors and 50 hours to really appreciate it. Can't take the 'go into the labyrinth, go back to town, sleep & save' routine much longer :)

For me the best moments of EO are when you reach a new stratum and there's a whole new environment to explore with (sometimes) a new mechanic/puzzle element to navigate through it.

Llyranor

What really has me interested in this game (despite feeling rather ho-hum about EO) is how the recruiting and fusing demons will be progressively and constantly keeping the gameplay fresh, giving the player plenty of new tactical options throughout the game as the s/he'd progress through it.

One of the things I didn't like about EO was how restrictive it was about setting up characters into specific roles (you'd specialize chars into specific roles, and they'd be pretty restrictive roles). While the game offered a lot of options between and within the classes, changing options/roles would be pretty time-consuming (creating a new char, losing 10 levels to respec). Just not appealing features to someone who just wanted to get through the game at a good pace, but still have room to experiment rather than being shoehorned into specific roles. I'm hoping the demons in SD will remove those annoyances for me.

Varna

Llyranor said:
One of the things I didn't like about EO was how restrictive it was about setting up characters into specific roles (you'd specialize chars into specific roles, and they'd be pretty restrictive roles).

The only really somewhat restrictive role is your main character and human allies you acquire (which are very limited if any).

I suddenly found myself worrying that they'd do the stupid thing and decide not to have the fusion option search from Devil Survivor in.

ethelred

duckroll said:
090814_sjsave02.jpg

The blog just updated again. 2 save slots 100% confirmed. Lol @ the time clock for both saves.

That's fantastic. Two of my three biggest concerns from Etrian Odyssey and Devil Survivor have now been addressed (more than one save slot and the return of the compendium).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:
090814_sjsave02.jpg

The blog just updated again. 2 save slots 100% confirmed. Lol @ the time clock for both saves.
Yay for the clock! i missed that feature in devil survivor.:lol

Varna

Chrono Helix said:
I suddenly found myself worrying that they'd do the stupid thing and decide not to have the fusion option search from Devil Survivor in.

Hopefully they are ready to move away from the random factors in this game. I haven't played Devil Survivor yet, but I always did hate sitting there hitting back until I got the spells I wanted. Also the random bonus stat point at level up in Nocturne? BS. I hated when I managed to get one only to die and NOT receive it the next time I level up.

Confession time: If I was close to level up I would sit next to a save point and keep redoing that level up until I got the stat point. Hard mode makes you desperate for anything. :(

Aeana

ethelred said:
That's fantastic. Two of my three biggest concerns from Etrian Odyssey and Devil Survivor have now been addressed (more than one save slot and the return of the compendium).
Where was this addressed?

Aeana

duckroll said:
This might be a little hard to see, and might lead to blindness, but the bottom left pic and the bottom middle pic seem to hint at good things.
Oh, great. I still can't believe Devil Survivor doesn't have it. If it did, I wouldn't have even been worried about it not being in this game in the first place.

Two save slots and semi-confirmation of the compendium make me even more hyped for this, already my most-hyped upcoming game. OMG. :lol

Now what I really want to know about is fusion. I'll be okay with it if it just uses a random Nocturne-style skill-inheritance system, I guess, but after seeing them finally take the logical step with Devil Survivor it would be a real huge step back.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I find it hilarious that all the pics are with a DSlite, is Atlus too poor to afford a DSi? :eek:

Error said:
I find it hilariously that all the pics are with a DSlite, is Atlus too poor to afford a DSi? :eek:

They'll need to use these assets for a few more DS games before there's room in the budget for something as pricey as a DSi.

firex

Error said:
I find it hilarious that all the pics are with a DSlite, is Atlus too poor to afford a DSi? :eek:
Atlus is too old-school. they only got the Lite when someone bought it for them on Alice's birthday.

mollipen

Error said:

DS ROMs (as in the ones you get official from Nintendo for working with pre-release games) don't work on the DSi; at least, review/preview ROMs don't. So, it probably isn't much of a choice on their part.

Acosta

I'm totally expecting Ultraman to fight that guy with the funny helm.

Love the screenshots, I wish more DS developers went for something like that and not N64 polygons.

P.S Sorry Segata, I didn't get that about the pool :(

Amir0x

Banned
I actually don't care for the boxart too much... but I don't care at all about boxarts so it doesn't matter to me :D

<3 2 save slots

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That helmet looks so goofy. I wonder why its different than the other ones (other than to differentiate him from everyone else because he is the main)

Error

HK-47 said:
That helmet looks so goofy. I wonder why its different than the other ones (other than to differentiate him from everyone else because he is the main)
it's the same for the other ones.

panda21

ahhh! this looks awesome! i really really like that art style :D

i hope its right that dsi is region free for ds, otherwise i'll have to wait for like day 365 (stupid europe D:)

Gorgon

Gorgon said:
Wow, looking reaaally good. Loving the style and atmosphere of this game, and this cover is just the cherry on top.

dragonlife29 said:
That boxart is atrocious...

I hope Atlus USA comes up with something better.

I guess they can't please everyone :lol

Error

New scans are out and the info...

[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:36] <duckroll> when your demons level up
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> at some point they will have a gift event
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> like in Persona
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> but
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> they will give you their devil source
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> which is one of their combat spells
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> and you can use this source to put it into any other demon
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> to create normally impossible combinations
[05:39] <~duckroll> DEVIL SOURCE
[05:40] <error1> omggggggggggg

Aeana

Okay, finally got a glimpse of this week's Famitsu coverage. Something very interesting is that when you level up your demons, you can get a gift event as you do in many of the other games, but one of the possible gifts this time is the demon's "devil source." A devil source contains one(?) of that demon's abilities, and can be used to give that ability to another of your demons. This even allows you to give abilities to demons who wouldn't normally be able to learn or inherit them, it seems.

EDIT: Damn it Error.

Top Bottom