• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ourobolus said:
No, not really. The only similarity is that it's a first-person dungeon crawler. The rest of the systems (demons/battles) are purely SMT.
That, and I think they are using the same code for the map, since the map in the picture looks identical to how I remember EO. Most likely this is just built on top of EO :lol

EscapingJail said:
Hey guys, I have a quick question.

This is my first SMT game that I've played. I'm really liking the story. In fact this is probably one of the only Atlus RPG's i've ever played.

If I like the story in this will I also like persona 3,4?

I haven't beat it really but I'm really liking how its going.
You... didn't mention which SMT game you're playing.

Narag

MotherFan said:
How good is EO? I am thinking of picking it up.

Excellent and a long deserved love letter to people that enjoyed the days of dungeon crawling for the sake of it and those that had graph paper and pencil at their side to map their way through said dungeons.

The map definitely looks like EO's map.

I didn't know what I was getting myself into with EO. I cleared out all the wolves near fenrir, and since I killed them so easily I figured I'd fight Fenrir right then and there instead of having to travel back to town and back down through the Labyrinth to get to him. He was a lot stronger than the other wolves, but I killed him, the problem was that the other wolves respawned while I was fighting him. I did not know that would happen. my party got killed, and I lost 2 floors of progress. I didn't touch the game until about a year later. I think playing Izuna helped increase my patience with these types fo games, I can't get enough rogue-likes/dungeon crawlers now.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
People thinking this is going to be like EO because there's technically one dungeon, are in for a surprise IMO.

duckroll

Aeana said:
Well, that's disappointing. Single-town dungeon crawlers are cool and everything, but it's not what I want in SMT. Especially not after two Etrian Odysseys.

I don't really think it exactly implies that. Maybe I worded it wrongly but there's nothing to suggest that the game is structured like how EO is. Instead what it suggests is that you are exploring into hostile territory and there won't be any "aid" found in the wilderness. I think it's important to remember a few things:

a) the expedition consists of 4 teams each in a giant vehicle

b) since they are vehicles, they're essentially mobile bases

The "safe zone" could easily be shifted and moved as you progress within the game, and what is considered a "town" area could simply be what is currently being established as the base of operations at the moment. There's really nothing that suggests the game has a single base point throughout the entire adventure.

duckroll

Varna said:
Damn. First thing I thought of was Xenosaga Episode II.

Well at least not being able to buy things makes sense in this scenario. Going to feel weird playing an SMT game without Macca. I wonder if this means demon negotiations will be based more on selecting the proper responses then luck and giving shit away.

I never said there's no Macca in the game. It still plays a part in the game and exists. There is demon negotiation and clearly you will be using Macca for the compendium as well. There are just no traditional RPG -stores- in the game. It also implies that you won't be able to find random demon stores like in SMT3 within dungeons. Although it doesn't outright say that.

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1226566_1407.html?ref=rss

:O

nrhjm.jpg

2zso76u.jpg

duckroll

Nibelung Valesti said:
So, search commands have been romanized/translated? ^^
They weren't in English before, were they?

Erm, they were always in English. There's a "Dark Scanner" in previous screens too. I wonder what that does.

duckroll said:
I don't really think it exactly implies that. Maybe I worded it wrongly but there's nothing to suggest that the game is structured like how EO is. Instead what it suggests is that you are exploring into hostile territory and there won't be any "aid" found in the wilderness. I think it's important to remember a few things:

a) the expedition consists of 4 teams each in a giant vehicle

b) since they are vehicles, they're essentially mobile bases

The "safe zone" could easily be shifted and moved as you progress within the game, and what is considered a "town" area could simply be what is currently being established as the base of operations at the moment. There's really nothing that suggests the game has a single base point throughout the entire adventure.
Okay, that clears things up. I wonder how backtracking will work, assuming it's worth it to.

duckroll

vall03 said:
woah! theres an unknown demon? looks like we are going to spend a lot of time scanning stuff

There's an Analyze bar for every demon it seems. When it's empty you can't even see it. As it fills up you get more data about that demon displayed in the bottom table.

vall03

duckroll said:
There's an Analyze bar for every demon it seems. When it's empty you can't even see it. As it fills up you get more data about that demon displayed in the bottom table.

Ah, I see... but how does that bar fill up? was it ever mentioned before?

duckroll said:
- Aside from developing new applications, by bringing materials and resources back to the Red Sprite, you'll be able to create new items and equipment - including swords and guns. Creating items will be the only way to replenish supplies, since you cannot buy items.

That sounds hard, where are we going to get our Dis-Poisons and Dis-Charms?

Totakeke said:
You guys forget the map events that takes away your warp wires.

Nothing like a random yes/no answer to make your life harder.

I remember they were all squirrels. I think the one in the 6th stratum was even described as plant-like to fit the theme of the stratum.

vall03 said:
Ah, I see... but how does that bar fill up? was it ever mentioned before?
Maybe it'll be like P4 where you have to try different elements on the target and it'll automatically fill in the elemental resistance info. Or you get info on what skills the demon has based on how much of the analyse bar is filled.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
This might be a stupid question, but I notice the bottom of this screen says "1/5". Does that mean there five screens you can cycle through on the bottom?

I haven't played much of the SMT series before, so I'm not sure if this would be unusual or not.

Yaweee

Nirolak said:
This might be a stupid question, but I notice the bottom of this screen says "1/5". Does that mean there five screens you can cycle through on the bottom?

I haven't played much of the SMT series before, so I'm not sure if this would be unusual or not.

Devil Survivor used the bottom screen to scroll through your own party, and the enemy party. I'm guessing there's just some additional information for the other three screens, like maps (what EO used the bottom screen for), inventory, and quest information.

EDIT: And it seems like your own demons have an Analyze meter as well. I had thought it went with the D-SOURCE written next to it, but that's its own thing.

duckroll said:
- Aside from developing new applications, by bringing materials and resources back to the Red Sprite, you'll be able to create new items and equipment - including swords and guns. Creating items will be the only way to replenish supplies, since you cannot buy items.

That sounds a little bit like the item creation/stocking system in Etrian Odyssey, where selling items dropped from enemies would put new items in stock in the shop, sometimes in limited quantities. I can see that fitting quite well with SJ's isolated setting, if they removed the selling/buying and just created items in limited quantities.

Totakeke said:
You guys forget the map events that takes away your warp wires.

The squirrel is always evil every time you run into him. The first time, sure, but you know what they say about fool me once, fool me twice. :lol

MotherFan said:
How good is EO?

so_awesome.jpg

duckroll said:
I don't really think it exactly implies that. Maybe I worded it wrongly but there's nothing to suggest that the game is structured like how EO is. Instead what it suggests is that you are exploring into hostile territory and there won't be any "aid" found in the wilderness.

Yeah, I would be surprised if it was actually structured like EO -- in terms of the "single dungeon with floors" aspect, or the "only one ever base of operations" aspect, or any of it. We already know that there are NPCs and conversations that happen in the "dungeon" maps, which is just like the old SMTs. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see areas that have no encounters, or to discover places where the "demon world" society has built up structures, or to see savepoints/healing spots/demon "brokers" spread through the world.

The real question is whether you'll be picking locations from a list, or whether Bluepointerman will make a triumphant return! :lol

Clevinger said:
Has it been revealed whether or not it uses a press/extra turn system yet?

From what we've gathered so far, there's a new variant system where hitting weaknesses triggers some kind of "demon combo attacks" from your party members; no more info yet on how exactly that works.

MotherFan

Aeana said:
Well, that's disappointing. Single-town dungeon crawlers are cool and everything, but it's not what I want in SMT. Especially not after two Etrian Odysseys.

Well, I am not sure we have enough information yet. Technically, SMT 3 takes place all in Tokyo, yet you have different areas that have become their own cities. It is possible that this is the same way it works in SJ? There could be different areas in the anomaly that open up into different dungeon areas. I can't read what the scans say though so if what I am suggesting is inaccurate, please tell me.

Also, I have decided to pick up EO. I am going to sell my copy of fallout 3 (already finished it) and use that to get EO.

Yaweee

HK-47 said:
Looks like the Black Rider is back. Do we know any of the other ones?

If there's 300+ demons and at least one rider, there's going to be all four. =)

And for the ongoing debate, does it really matter if it is all one giant dungeon with intermittent warp points, one central area/town with a bunch of different wings, or one giant dungeon with towns strewn throughout? Regardless, there will be scenery, music, and story changes as you progress through the game.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Flying_Phoenix said:
As much as I want to play this I'll hold off on it. I'm sorry Nintendo but the DSi has far too little battery life.
Get a lite. Hell get a phat. This game is going to get me to buy another DS along with Devil Survivor. :p

duckroll

Yaweee said:
And for the on going debate, does it really matter if it is all one giant dungeon, with intermittent warp points, one central area with a bunch of different wings, or one giant dungeon with towns strewn throughout? Regardless, there will be scenery, music, and story changes as you progress through the game.

It's obviously not one giant dungeon.

MechaX

MotherFan said:
Well, I am not sure we have enough information yet. Technically, SMT 3 takes place all in Tokyo, yet you have different areas that have become their own cities. It is possible that this is the same way it works in SJ? There could be different areas in the anomaly that open up into different dungeon areas. I can't read what the scans say though so if what I am suggesting is inaccurate, please tell me.

It seems like this is going to turn out similar to how SMT If did; one "home base" where stuff occasionally happens (In If it was the high school, in SJ, it might be the mobile vehicle), and the rest of the dungeons on the outside are broken up into different locales each with their unique music, look, enemies, etc (In If, the 6 different areas of the demon world, in SJ... probably different areas of the... strange world).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yaweee said:
If there's 300+ demons and at least one rider, there's going to be all four. =)

And for the ongoing debate, does it really matter if it is all one giant dungeon with intermittent warp points, one central area with a bunch of different wings, or one giant dungeon with towns strewn throughout? Regardless, there will be scenery, music, and story changes as you progress through the game.

I mean are any of those other demons returning ones?

MechaX

Probably well over half are returning. Although, there are about 50 or so demons from SMT1-If, Devil Summoner through Soul Hackers, and the PS1 Persona games that never made the PS2 generation cut that you'll probably see.

Yaweee

HK-47 said:
I mean are any of those other demons returning ones?

Ah, sorry about that.

Taken from Gamefaqs, for the most part

Titania
King Frost
Tiamat
Nue
Zhen
Girimekala
Wendigo
Orochi
Cu Chulain
Oberon
Succubus
Basilisk
Berserker
Apsaras
Leanan Sidhe
Formor
Kudlak
Rakshasa (sic)
Black Rider

And I'm certain the Japanese speakers here can pick a few more off the recent screenshots.

And, yes, Cthulhu would be awesome. Atlus already has Nyarlathotep from the Lovecraft stories, so why not some more?

Flying_Phoenix said:
As much as I want to play this I'll hold off on it. I'm sorry Nintendo but the DSi has far too little battery life.
So get a DSL then?

Though my understanding is that the DSi get about 10-12 hours on the second brightness setting and about 8 hours in the third... that's not sufficient?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Error said:
Cthulhu plz.

The Lovecraftian horrors have never appeared in non Persona SMT games to my knowledge.

Plus there is cooler stuff they need to put in first.

Forgot Jack Frost.

Yaweee

HK-47 said:
The Lovecraftian horrors have never appeared in non Persona SMT games to my knowledge.

Plus there is cooler stuff they need to put in first.

Nyarlathotep was in SMT2, if..., and Devil Survivor

Lovecraft stuff in SMT games, from the MegaTen Wiki:

* Byakhee (EP)
* Dagon (SMT1)
* Hastur (EP)
* Nodens (EP)
* Nyarlathotep (Persona 1, 2 IS/EP, SMT2, if..., Devil Survivor)
* Shoggoth (P2, doesn't specify which)
* Whateley (P2)

EDIT: And apparently Cthulhu was in SMT2. Never seen him mentioned before. And what the hell is that cock doing there?

As for the P2-only ones, they look a lot more like Soejima's work than Kaneko's, which might explain why they haven't been reused.

Segata Sanshiro said:
So get a DSL then?

Though my understanding is that the DSi get about 10-12 hours on the second brightness setting and about 8 hours in the third... that's not sufficient?

But I'm most worried that Nintendo plans the DS userbase to have the i phase out the Lite so most games will be developed around the DSi making them unplayable on the DS Lite due to the lack of hardware power.

Oh and I play games with high brightness.

Sipowicz said:
does dsi have a crap battery life?

i thought it was 19 hours
The DSL can get 15-19 hours on the lowest brightness setting. The DSi can get 9-14 on the lowest brightness setting. It definitely has a worse battery life than the DSL, but I still think it should be quite sufficient for most people's needs.

Hell, I remember my Game Gear got about 2 hours on six AAs. Nothing beats that OG brick Game Boy though. On 4 AAs it could get anywhere from 14-35 hours.

Varna

Does the game being played affect the battery life? I remember when Etrian Odyssey came out a few people at the Atlus boards were saying their DSL's were getting shorter then normal battery life out of the game (perhaps had to do something with the game running at 60 frames).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Segata Sanshiro said:
The DSL can get 15-19 hours on the lowest brightness setting. The DSi can get 9-14 on the lowest brightness setting. It definitely has a worse battery life than the DSL, but I still think it should be quite sufficient for most people's needs.

Hell, I remember my Game Gear got about 2 hours on six AAs. Nothing beats that OG brick Game Boy though. On 4 AAs it could get anywhere from 14-35 hours.

It truly was a man amongst boys

Bad HK, bad joke

Top Bottom