• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newbie to Modeling in Max, How To Get Started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

I’m a complete newbie to modeling and max and just wanted to know the best way to get started with learning how to model well. I’ve completed most of the modeling tutorials, but I’m at a point now where I don’t know exactly what to do next. Should I just attempt to model really basic stuff I see at home or something? how did most of you guys get through the newbie hump? Because I’m really interested in doing modeling, but I really don’t now what I can do to improve my skills past the tutorials, which I’ve already completed.

Check out various online tutorials to get the ball rolling... Not to sound like a jerk, but google really is your best friend right now. Youtube also has a great selection of video tutorials.
The tutorials and documentation that come with max are extremely helpful as well. Not to mention loads of specific forums catered to modelling (3dtotal.com, cgtalk.com, polycount.com, gameartisans.org).

If i remember correctly i used a tutorial DVD from Gnomon. They have fantastic tutorial DVD's in general. Check it out:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Its best to start small, especialy if you want to model for games you should try to understand low poly modeling before you do fancy stuff. Its easier to switch from low poly to hi poly later then the other way around.

First thing that i ever modeled and unwrapped was a wooden crate for a Half Life 2 mod. I modelled cars and stuff like that only 2-3 months later. Once you get the hang of it its easy to model whatever you want as long as its technical or architectural stuff. Organic modeling (humans, monsters etc.) is a complete different league and needs more experience and a lot of practising.

sites that are a must

www.cgtalk.com
www.3dtotal.com
www.cgchannel.com

go through 3d totals tutorials. Alot start from beginner to really advanced.

I went to college for 3D animation, but I find really thinking of a personal project and doing whatever tutorials that would aid in getting it complete is what works for me. Get some basics, then start looking for a internship.

Klyka

Banned
Find a good agent or sleep with someone who's got connections.
Also stick your finger down your throat after every meal and you are all set.

Mik2121

Yep, it completely depends on what you wanna do. Modeling for games? movies and the like? architecture? (not the best soft for that, lol).

Really, it's quite different to do models for games than doing the very same stuff for movies and all that.

Onemic

Mik2121 said:
Yep, it completely depends on what you wanna do. Modeling for games? movies and the like? architecture? (not the best soft for that, lol).

Really, it's quite different to do models for games than doing the very same stuff for movies and all that.

Games mainly.

B.K.

http://www.3d-palace.com

Go there and register then download some of their free tutorials. They've got some good free video tutorials. I really find it a lot better to use video tutorials than written tutorials. It's easier for me to follow when I can see what's being done, instead of just reading what to do.

Willectro

Banned
I learned some stuff back a few years ago using Blender.

Although it isn't industry standard exactly, you can still do some neat stuff with it. Blender is a little less daunting to learn compared to 3Ds Max (I assume that's what you're referring to). That being said, both are fun to use. Blender's free too. :D

onemic said:
Games mainly.

If you want to do games you need to learn the following:
-modelling
-uv mapping
-texturing
-rigging (if you are thinking of characters
-lighting (for environments)

My advice is to model everyday objects to begin with, and start training your texturing and uv mapping skills. The first job you will most likely get is an asset modeller, bottles, crates and all that shit.
Furthermore, if you want to work in the games industry, I assume you have no experience.. which is a huge minus in terms of getting a job (no fault of your own). To get a job with no experience, you need to have a portfolio worthy of the gods.

Quite simply.

B.K.

Dabookerman said:
If you want to do games you need to learn the following:
-modelling
-uv mapping
-texturing
-rigging (if you are thinking of characters
-lighting (for environments)

Probably also need to know how to sculpt and make normal maps in either Mudbox or Zbrush too.

B.K. said:
Probably also need to know how to sculpt and make normal maps in either Mudbox or Zbrush too.

Oh of course, that too. Especially since normals are used a lot more often than bump mapping now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom