• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Creates Contest II: Are you a bad enough nerd to make a retro game by year's end?

Enk

makes good threads.
Original Contest post below this one

Updates:

GAF CREATES I Compilation has been rereleased. Look HERE for the details and where to download.

GAF Creates II Releases So Far

Retro Dibblez
by Olorin
Written in: Flash
Released: March 10, 2010
Category: Runner & platformer
PLAY!

RetroDrib.png

retroscreen3.gif

Works in Progress

coming soon!

Enk

makes good threads.
GAF CREATES CONTEST II: Electric Pixelloo

The Mission

A fresh new year with a fresh new decade on top of that. Now I know some of you nerdlings are too busy hiding in your grandad's bombshelter, refusing to let go of the fact that it is now the 21st century, and that 3d games have ruled the wastelands (that's right, the world is a wasteland now so stay in your hole in the ground away from us ghouls).

By now you have memorized the level layouts and enemy locations in Amagon, and are currently on your 1,307th playthrough of Harley's Humongous Adventure. Your roach colony has defied you and have decided to risk living in the sunlit world than stay another day with your rank ass. Saddest of all, grandad seems to have had his "fill" of you (yes I've been watching you from a tiny camera I planted in one of your fingernails, bet you can't find it).

Basically, you're bored shitless.

Well I'm here to help fill your waste of time with some other waste of time!

See I have chosen to recruit you, yes YOU, to help join me in defeating the evil 3d Overlord whom has turned the outside world into that depressing wasteland which is preventing you from getting you your daily supplies of Pringles and Twinkies. Most importantly, this evil is thwarting you from getting your hands on fresh new old games!!!

Awful right?

Now before you do something drastic like grabbing your plastic lightsaber and jumping outside, my requirements actually allow you to continue using your PC like always. You need to hurry though, as you have one year to finsh your project or else the 3d Overlord with obliterate the world with its army of shavened space marines!

This isn't making a lick of sense to you? Stop thinking about it and read on to find out how to join!

Requirements:

I- Start and complete a new old game by the end of this year
II- Game must be in the style of a retro game (from the Atari era to the SNES days)
III- Old school game mods are acceptable, but must have all new level layouts and other additions (like new enemies or gameplay elements)
IV- Must be polished, playable, and beatable
V- Game must be at acceptable retro length (think typical NES or Arcade game)

Additional rules:

A- Anything is allowed to help you make you game (LunarMagic, XNA, SEUCK, Flash, GameMaker)
B- Teamups with other GAFFERs are allowed but only by a limit of 3.
C- If making a mod, DO NOT include the rom with the zip
D- When finished, zip and upload your game to an accessible filesharer (ex.Filefront) and PM the links
E- If caught plagiarizing someone else's work you will be banned to the wasteland and appropriately mocked!
F- No DudeBro. Dawg's got his own time and place to shine.

Other notes:

1- BACK UP YOUR WORK CONSTANTLY!
2- It's helpful to post updates on your progress. Why? Because once you let people in on what you're working on, you will feel more compelled to finish.
3- Try to make sure your game is as accessible to as many people as possible. You want your hard work to be seen right?
4- Don't be afraid to ask for help! Getting stumped on how to do something is usually as killer in developing games on your own.
5- Don't be too ambitious! Keep it simple at first and push yourself further as you get a better handle on things.
6- If you need some help getting started I have provided some tools in the next post to lead you into the right direction.
7- It’s best to start early. Spend the first few of months learning your software and sketching out ideas.
8- Most importantly DON’T PANIC! If midway through you realize you might not make the date then string together a demo or video if you can then just finish the project when you choose.

Awards?

Well besides finally getting your ass away from playing games to learning how to make one, I will be dolling out a free downloadable game ($10 max) to anyone that meets the criteria above. There will be a special GAF CREATES Game of the Year Award, but I haven't decided on what that would be yet. On Jan. 1, 2011, GAFFER's will be able vote on their favorite game. I'll will go into more details as the time comes. Also if anyone would like to donate prizes just shoot me a PM.

Final Words:

Unlike the last GAF CREATES, this contest is more open and expanded. The idea of GAF Creates is to give an extra push to you wanna-be-gamemakers to start making something and learning about game development. Instead of just focusing on one game and program, you can now use whatever tools that are available to make your game as long as it sticks within the retro styled world. Learning to make a game can be quite daunting at first, but once you get a handle on the basics, creating a game can be just as fun as playing one.

Good luck everyone!

Enk

makes good threads.
Help and Resources

Need help getting started? Looking for the right program to meet you vision? Need more than just GAF's help in creating your creation? Well this is the post for you! This list will continuously be updated so if there's anything you would like to suggest please feel free to post it!

Various Websites

RomHacking.net
http://www.romhacking.net/
-Best place to go for all you oldschool game modification needs. Lots of documents, editors, mods, translations, and an active forum communtiy

Indie Gamer Forum
http://forums.indiegamer.com/

GameDev.net
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

Misc Tools

Gm8_new_logo.jpg

GameMaker
Grab HERE
For: Windows

Resources:
Official Site Tutorials
GameMaker Community Forums

xna.gif

XNA
Find HERE
For: Windows, 360

Resources:
Building XNA 2.0/3.0 Games
(a great book suggested to me by Noogy of Dust fame and written by James Silva, creator of Dishwasher)
XNA Tutorial Videos
XNA Creator's Club

flashIcon.png

Flash
Purchase HERE
For: Pretty much anything that can play Flash games

Resources:
Step-by-step Guide to Becoming a Flash Game Developer
Flash Game Design
Flash Game Tutorial
How to Make a Successful Flash Game

bob.gif

Official Hamster Republic RPG Maker (OHRrpgCE)
Grab HERE
For: Windows, DOS

Resources:
Hamster Replublic Forum
Tutorials

seuck-3.gif

SEUCK (Shoot'em Up Construction Kit)
Grab HERE
For: C64

Resources:
The SEUCK Vault
There's a Windows version HERE

rpgmaker.gif

RPG Maker XP
Grab HERE

Resources:
RPG Maker XP Tutorials
RPG Maker XP Tutorial for Noobs
Video Tutorials

knytt.gif

Knytt Stories Editor
Grab HERE (comes with game)

Resources:
Nifflas Support Forum
Tutorial Videos

Retro Game Editors:

mario.gif

LunarMagic
Grab HERE
For: Super Mario World

Resources:
SMW Central
GAF Thread

link.gif

Hyrule Magic
Grab HERE
For: Link to the Past

Resources:
Orochimaru's Perfect Guide to Hyrule Magic

samus.gif

SMILE
Grab HERE
For: Super Metroid

Resources:
Metroid Hack Forum

mega-1.gif

MegaFLE X
Grab HERE
For: Mega Man 3, 4 ,5, and 6

Resources:
None yet

cASTLE.gif

reVamp
Grab HERE
For: Castlevania III

Resources:
None yet

SonicSSS.gif

Sonic ED2
Grab HERE
For: Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2

Resources:
Alternate Editor: Esrael Sonic Editor
Sonic Retro Forum
Sonicology
Sonic Community Hacking Guide

Enk

makes good threads.
Shig said:
This is a really stupid rule.

Always open to suggestions on how to improve the contest. Basically what I'm looking for are complete games. Maybe not exactly two hours but around the normal time it takes to beat a regular NES game.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Always open to suggestions on how to improve the contest. Basically what I'm looking for are complete games. Maybe not exactly two hours but around the normal time it takes to beat a regular NES game.
A lot of people think of arcade games when you bandy about the term 'retro', is what I'm getting at. Many genres are reliant upon that pacing; a two-hour shmup or beat-em-up would far overstay its welcome, nevermind nebulous experiences like Pac-man or Donkey Kong that some people can find to be a perfectly worthwhile experience in two or three minutes.

In general, I think promoting multi-hour playtimes as a tenet is kind of foolish in a competition between free games by amateur developers. It just seems like a recipe for unnecessary bloat, both for the game maker and the game player. I'd much prefer to play a five-minute game of someone's best ideas than the overly-decompressed slog it could turn into if they're trying to fulfill some sort of arbitrary, imaginary value proposition.

Enk

makes good threads.
Paco said:

Nice, I'll look through that. You can also find some more here:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=23

Shig said:
In general, I think promoting multi-hour playtimes as a tenet is kind of foolish in a competition between free games by amateur developers. It just seems like a recipe for unnecessary bloat, both for the game maker and the game player. I'd much prefer to play a five-minute game of someone's best ideas than the overly-decompressed slog it could turn into if they're trying to fulfill some sort of arbitrary, imaginary value proposition.

I get what you're saying. I'll drastically reduce the limit down to something more reasonable, but can still be fulfilling.

Tain

I- Start and complete a new old game by the end of this year
II- Game must be in the style of a retro game (from the Atari era to the SNES days)
III- Old school game mods are acceptable, but must have all new level layouts and other additions (like new enemies or gameplay elements)
IV- Must be polished, playable, and beatable
V- Needs to be at least 30 minutes in length

Wait, rule #5 was already shortened from 2 hours to 30 minutes?

Most of the best arcade games ever are like 20 minutes. :|

Anyway, this sounds like fun. I've been messing with two things lately; a simple looking Unreal Engine 3 game (like, low poly solid-color models, probably too new-looking for this), and an SFML game. This could give me motivation to work on the latter and probably completely abandon the former.

Don't know if anything I could make could compete with a mod of a ROM, in the end, but it's more fun this way.

Tain

just to be absolutely sure: a game made entirely of ugly-ass flat shaded polygons a la original Starfox and Virtua Fighter might be a bit too out there for this, right?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Have no knowledge of coding or any of that other scary stuff, but I'm in. :) Maybe a SNES mod or something would be a nice place to start?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maybe I'll push out my Android game by the end of this year, it's one of my resolutions so hopefully...

It's going to be a platformer with graphics modeled after the SNES.

Enk

makes good threads.
Tain said:
just to be absolutely sure: a game made entirely of ugly-ass flat shaded polygons a la original Starfox and Virtua Fighter might be a bit too out there for this, right?

Was thinking of something more pixel related. If you think it suits the retro feel, show something off and I'll see if it fits the mold.

bengraven said:
RPG Maker 200000000

haha

I might be in if we have until the end of the year.

Forgot about RPG Maker. I'll add it to the list once I get a chance.

Brobzoid said:
Have no knowledge of coding or any of that other scary stuff, but I'm in. :) Maybe a SNES mod or something would be a nice place to start?

Go for it! Lunar Magic is the easiest to get into, but the other editors seem just a well put together.

Andrex said:
Maybe I'll push out my Android game by the end of this year, it's one of my resolutions so hopefully...

It's going to be a platformer with graphics modeled after the SNES.

Working on and finishing a game is my New Year's resolution as well (hence one of the reasons for the thread). Hope you get to working on it so we can start seeing some stuff soon!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Doing all the art will be the hard part, but I've found with careful iteration I can do it. Takes forever, though.

1. I'm in! Totally in.
2. The "acceptable length" is kind of a silly rule, I think. I hope it is changed, because some of the best games are short.
3. I think a year of developing is too long (I would have liked 6 months), but I won't object to it.

The hardest things for me will be the music, graphics, and game idea. Music I should be somewhat okay with, but graphics, I don't think so...

Also, can we show off our projects as we go along? Like, show our progress along the way?

One more question. Can we use existing sprites from games? If not, what about if they're edited sprites?

Chris R

I'll join this. Most likely will create something for the iPod Touch / iPhone platform, since I've been working on that now for quite awhile.

Stencil said:
Awesome. Anyone need a graphic designer/illustrator?
That sounds interesting. I was planning on going solo with my project, but I'll consider a graphics man (or woman). However, before I make a decision like that, I'll need to come up with a game concept.

Something I'm kinda bad at is coming up with an idea that's something new, refreshing, or "revolutionary" (some might say this about many game creators in the retail industry...), but I'll try hard this time!

I hope a lot more people join in on the contest, and even if on doesn't know how to code in some language, there are many game creation tools that don't require any code in the OP, so yeah.

Tain said:
I was leaning towards doing so. I figure if mods of existing games are acceptable...
I was thinking along these lines as well.

Enk

makes good threads.
Added a couple of more suggestions to the Resources post. Didn't realize how far along RPG Maker has come. Seems like you can make a lot of different types of games with it.

rpgmaker.gif

RPG Maker XP
Grab HERE

Resources:
RPG Maker XP Tutorials
RPG Maker XP Tutorial for Noobs
Video Tutorials

knytt.gif

Knytt Stories Editor
Grab HERE (comes with game)

Resources:
Nifflas Support Forum
Tutorial Videos

Why would you do that? said:
I think a year of developing is too long (I would have liked 6 months), but I won't object to it.

Think of it his way, if you get done midyear you could either start work on a new game or continue refining, polishing, and adding to your current game for the next six months. On the previous contest I finished the core Massimo game in a month and a half. The rest of the month and a half I spent adding secrets and other additions that I couldn't do when I just started learning LunarMagic.

Also, can we show off our projects as we go along? Like, show our progress along the way?

One more question. Can we use existing sprites from games? If not, what about if they're edited sprites?

I would highly recommend showing what you are working on as it gives you a bit more motivation to finish it. I'm going to be doing the same with my project(s) as well.

Also as stated before you are free to make game mods. Make your own Mario or Zelda game if you want. As for using existing sprites, it should be fine as long as you're not planning on selling your game.

Stencil said:
Awesome. Anyone need a graphic designer/illustrator?

Are you able to do sprite work?

samratty

Well I'm in preliminary stages of putting together a platformer with maybe 2 other people on the team. Who knows, maybe I'll submit it come the end of the year

Koren

I might join as well, if I find some time this summer... (problem is that I already have a game project, which can't fit the challenge since it's multiplayer, and a numeric version of a board game, which rise legal issues :( )

I have a project that could fit the bill, though, and I may be able to complete it in time. But I have a question:

Although it can be played with a NES/SNES-style pad, or with the SNES mouse, I think the control may be better with tilting controls (like wiimote used as NES pad) and/or with 3-axis analog joystick (or dual analog). Would it be allowed to include some controls that where not available (or really ususual, since Powerglove has tilt) at this time, as long as it's perfectly playable with classic controls ?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've been meaning to do an Atari 2600 game. Probably something simple first using bAtari Basic, and eventually something in assembly.

Just got the Harmony USB dev cart too. Works like a charm.

Tunin

I'll see what I can do, never programmed an actual game, only did some chars for M.U.G.E.N.

But I'll do my best.

Enk

makes good threads.
Koren said:
Although it can be played with a NES/SNES-style pad, or with the SNES mouse, I think the control may be better with tilting controls (like wiimote used as NES pad) and/or with 3-axis analog joystick (or dual analog). Would it be allowed to include some controls that where not available (or really ususual, since Powerglove has tilt) at this time, as long as it's perfectly playable with classic controls ?

As long as the game stays within a retro style I wouldn't have a problem with you wanting to experiment with other control schemes.

Tempy said:
I've been meaning to do an Atari 2600 game. Probably something simple first using bAtari Basic, and eventually something in assembly.

Just got the Harmony USB dev cart too. Works like a charm.

It'd be interesting to see and Atari game pop up in the mix. Probably be a hell of a lot easier on the graphics side of things.

OatmealMu said:
I'd be willing to offer up my services on the art side of things. Let me know.

I could possibly need some help with the main character of my game (done in a more 8bit style). I have several concepts already pixeled out but none look quite how I want them to be.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If anyone wants to contribute sprite work for my game, it'd be very much appreciated. I'd be happy to say what the game is about and stuff if you're deciding which project would be most interesting to collaborate for.

One thing I have to say is I'm planning to sell my game on Android Market (and a couple other app stores for Android) for $0.99. I'm willing to cut the profits, which will be admittedly very small.

Disclaimer:
I'd estimate there's a 50/50 shot that the game is finished. If that doesn't bother you, PM me.

Stencil

... I was planning on going solo ... I'll need to come up with a game concept.

Well, feel free to PM me if you need someone to bounce ideas off of.

Enk said:
Are you able to do sprite work?

Frankly, no. What program is that based out of? I'm willing to try and learn. I can certainly make pixel art, but it's not my specialty.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Enk, is it OK if the game doesn't use pixel art but is still kinda "retro"? Like, say if someone made a top-down shooter with vector art, or something like Braid where the art is hand-made but the basic gameplay can be seen as "retro"?

I have no idea how to program or anything like that, but I can do UI design and Karateka/PoP style animation if anyone wants to make a fighting game.

Tain

Also: "Pre-rendered" sprites, Viewpoint/DKC style. How about that?

I'm guessing the answer would be "show me and I'll let you know", but something like an amateurish top-down Viewpoint (not the PSX remake) is what I'd be thinking of.

I actually started making a game with RPGXP a while ago but didn't had the time for much progress. Maybe this year, this contest is a stimulation :D

OatmealMu

Enk said:
I could possibly need some help with the main character of my game (done in a more 8bit style). I have several concepts already pixeled out but none look quite how I want them to be.

Alright. Go ahead and PM me the relevant info.

Enk

makes good threads.
Andrex said:
Enk, is it OK if the game doesn't use pixel art but is still kinda "retro"? Like, say if someone made a top-down shooter with vector art, or something like Braid where the art is hand-made but the basic gameplay can be seen as "retro"?

It should be fine as long as it pays some sort of tribute to the games of old. For example the XBLA Arkedo games, while modern with its fancy effects, are very much retro in style. So I would accept something like that.

Tain said:
Also: "Pre-rendered" sprites, Viewpoint/DKC style. How about that?

I'm guessing the answer would be "show me and I'll let you know", but something like an amateurish top-down Viewpoint (not the PSX remake) is what I'd be thinking of.

That would be fine. Love Viewpoint by the way. A little disorienting at first but a pretty kickass shooter once you get the hang of its viewpoint (pun intended).

OatmealMu said:
Alright. Go ahead and PM me the relevant info.

Ok, just give me a little bit. I'm currently putting together something to post on here within the next week and you should be able to see where I'm going with my game.

I'm gonna try and participate as I need to be a bit more productive this year. Gonna try and learn XNA (Probably for zune though. Don't i need to subscribe to Creator club to make it work on 360?) in 6 months and create game during that time and rest of the year :lol.

i'm going to try my hand at a simple 8-bit NES style platformer. Should be possible.

It's called Mousey! and stars an anthropomorphic mouse named Mousey on his quest to save his beloved Suzette from the clutches of the evil Dr. Meow.

shuyin_

Banned
I'm in. I already have an idea; hopefully i'll create the gamedesign document this month.

I might need some people to help me with backgrounds/sprites though.

Enk

makes good threads.
DMPrince said:
I'm gonna try and participate as I need to be a bit more productive this year. Gonna try and learn XNA (Probably for zune though. Don't i need to subscribe to Creator club to make it work on 360?) in 6 months and create game during that time and rest of the year :lol.

Yeah you'll need to subscribe. I think there should be a free way to join but you lose a lot of the extra perks. I'll be subscribing tomorrow and working with the tutorials in the Building XNA Game book Noogy suggested.

JodyAnthony said:
i'm going to try my hand at a simple 8-bit NES style platformer. Should be possible.

It's called Mousey! and stars an anthropomorphic mouse named Mousey on his quest to save his beloved Suzette from the clutches of the evil Dr. Meow.

Sounds similar to Mousecapade for the NES.

I plan on making a sequel to an already retro-RPG I was making last year. The last one is largely unfinished, but I am planning on a sequel because I was largely unsatisfied with it and because this contest requires me to start a game from scratch this year.

jepense

Oh, I was wondering when will you start GCC II, Enk. :D Hopefully more people will actually make something than last time. As for me... I won't promise anything. If I was 15 years younger, I'd be all over this, but just the SMW hack last time around took way too much time. But, I'll at least look into some of the game-creator tools to see if I can whip something up.

Edit: I checked the first competition and... what? Massimo has been downloaded a massive 44 times. Come on, people. Try this stuff out, it's good.
My hack is not found at all (I haven't removed it), but why reupload it if nobody cares. :(

AniHawk

I've been toying with the idea of making a 2D platformer for a couple of months now. I can see it in my head and I downloaded the program to make it and even messed around a bit in Garage Band to see what the hell that does for music but I haven't really done anything yet.

Top Bottom