• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 85: Decay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme: Decay

Submissions are due by Monday, March 1st at 11:59 pm EST.

Voting begins Tuesday, March 2nd and ends on Wednesday, March 3nd at 11:59 pm EST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads, then by shortest time since they last brushed their teeth.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

Chorazin

Oooooh, nice topic!

Hopefully all this fucking snow in my area will melt by the end of the time limit so I can get some good pics. It's hard to get anywhere good when you're trudging through 3 feet of compacted snow. :(

I think one of the photos I took for a past assignment months ago would be better suited for this assignment. I could take a way better composed shot now that I have my DSLR (i did the old one with my P&S) but maybe I can come up with something better... hmm...

mrkgoo

I've politely bowed out of the last few assignments. Trying to figure my way through Aperture and RAW workflow.

Anyway, I discovered Aperture 3 has a "Wispy Scoundrel Filter":p

EF-S 60mm Macro, f/2.8, 1/2500s, iso800

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
4377314555_06aa11bcfa_o.jpg

bigger size http://www.flickr.com/photos/35765710@N02/4377266047/sizes/l/
E-30
ISO 200
(1/160)
f/4.0
46 mm

SickBoy

BlueTsunami said:
Posting to subscribe and I really like this assignment choice

Not saying you shouldn't have posted to say you like the assignment choice, but you can subscribe to a thread by using the "thread tools" to the top right of the first post.

Chorazin

I'm hoping some of the shots I took at the South Mountain Reservation (a.k.a. nature reserve) came out ok for this assignment, but if not I luckily have Friday off this week to go out and shoot.

Chorazin

Gah, most of my shots from the nature reserve came out shitlicious. Hopefully I can go out Friday on my day off, but now they're calling for another fucking snowstorm. :(

Timbuktu

4385251421_c023108861_o.jpg

Camera: Nikon D90
Exposure: 0.1 sec (1/10)
Aperture: f/18.0
Focal Length: 35 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash

4388487721_810943dbbd_o.jpg

5DII w/24-105 f4

24mm, 1/25 sec., f4.0, ISO 1600

edit: decided to change my submission to another image from the same day and site.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Timbuktu said:

Camera: Nikon D90
Exposure: 0.1 sec (1/10)
Aperture: f/18.0
Focal Length: 35 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash[/QUOTE]
Any particular reason you went for that polaroid-ish frame?

MTE

4391633165_b23a920b22_o.jpg

Camera: Nikon D90 @ 190mm
ISO: 250

Took a few urban decay images, but for some reason, I like this one.

RSZ_2282ps2.jpg

Canon G7 Powershot, ISO 80, 8 sec, f/8.0

Beta decay produces the eerie blue glow of Cherenkov radiation around these nuclear fuel rod samples awaiting laboratory analysis.

Not really...it's the set of little weights that came with my Logitech gaming mouse in the strainer basket from my teapot. ;)

Timbuktu

Rentahamster said:
Any particular reason you went for that polaroid-ish frame?

That's how I send it to print, sort of a standard format that I keep my photos in. The square crop is something I've kept to for a while now too and I shoot with that intent. Preparation for getting a hasselblad I guess.

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/1600 second
Aperture: f/5.8
ISO: 100
Post Processing: Crop, gimped out a couple extra power lines, adjust color balance (Whispy-style,) increase saturation, resize, unshark mask in GIMP.
What I was smoking: The heck with urban decay, rural decay.

cwmartin

Took this shot YEARS ago. With just a regular ole point and shoot. Since that camera broke i've gone without. Cant wait to graduate, get a job, and be able to afford a camera I want. :/

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
cwmartin said:
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v67/170/25/9030924/n9030924_32693293_5305.jpg[IMG]

[B]Took this shot YEARS ago.[/B] [/QUOTE]
In that case, this photo is ineligible for the contest.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
259ycth.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 149 mm
ISO Speed: 1600

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Zyzyxxz said:
gah sold my DSLR! Maybe I'll think of something nice to take with my crappy point and shoot

I think a crappy P&S could be a nice limitation for a theme like this. Helps with thinking outside the box and the traditional idea of making everything pretty.

I know it was an easy assumption to make that the deadline was last night, but I extended the deadline a day to make up for my typo.

AnkitT

2450rqd.png

Camera: Nokia N85
Shutter Speed: 1/20 second
Aperture: F/2.8
Focal Length: 5 mm
ISO Speed: 214
Post Proc: Cropped and resized.
(I know these dont matter much with a camera phone)

brerwolfe

this isn't at all what i wanted to use for the assignment. i had an idea that i thought would be fun but was completely dependent on the weather, which suddenly turned rainy (in orlando). at any rate, here goes my first assignment thread submission:

an example of urban decay, as opposed to just "decay."

4398272995_516848ab94_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 7D
Exposure: 1/400
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 40 mm
ISO Speed: 250

desaturated the bright lipstick reds in photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom