• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 announced

ZipperWebLogo_sm.gif

...... PROUDLY PRESENTS:

4407077192_7cd79ab47c_o.jpg

4407077224_2be0e882a1_o.jpg

4407077258_1183090865_o.jpg

tba-socom-iv-us-navy-seals-20100304094825100.jpg

Of course, as with any new announcement, what you really want to know are the details: Who’s in your squad? Where have they been deployed? What kind of threat are they up against? Though we’ll be revealing the answers to all these questions and plenty more throughout 2010, we don’t want to leave you completely in the dark, so what we will tell you is that a militant revolutionary has unexpectedly seized control in an important South Asian country. As the Ops Com, your mission is to command an elite five-man squad charged with stopping his aggressive agenda before it’s too late. In only six days, you must lead your team through a hostile jungle and urban environments against an army of well-armed rebel insurgents that completely outnumber you.

If that setup doesn’t whet your appetite enough, you should also be pleased to know that in addition to the SOCOM’s single-player operation, players will also be able to enjoy a 32-person multiplayer mode that boasts more Special Forces units than ever before!

If you crave even more information, then the guys at IGN have you covered with their exclusive first-look preview at what we’ve shown so far. Editor and shooting game fanatic, Ryan Geddes, dropped by our studio earlier in the week to check out SOCOM 4 for himself, so be sure to read the full IGN article to find out what he thinks.

But wait! There’s more! As part of our continued announcement celebration, the folks at GameTrailers TV will air the world premiere trailer for SOCOM 4 tonight at 12:30 am EST/PST. All you have to do is tune in to Spike TV when the time is right and let your eyes and ears do the rest. Don’t miss it!

Oh, and before we let you go, we wanted to send a message to our SOCOM and MAG fans all over the world. First, if you play MAG and wonder what this means for the game’s future, wonder no more – we’re still fully committed to supporting MAG for a long, long time and the addition of another game in our lineup doesn’t change that. Second, it’s been great to hear from SOCOM fanatics located in every corner of the globe as we led into today’s announcement. We’re extremely excited to be attached to this beloved franchise again and knowing that so many people wanted us to return to something that already meant so much to us has been both inspiring and touching – so thank you to all of you who wanted it to happen! We look forward to living up to your expectations.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/socom-4-its-official/

From IGN's preview:

That starts with the main character. His name, well, I don't have any intel on that yet. Zipper simply calls him the Ops Commander. He's the leader of a 5-person NATO special forces squad deployed near the Strait of Malacca, a key global shipping lane that connects the Pacific and Indian Ocean between Malaysia and Indonesia. He quickly finds himself in a world of pain when the rest of the NATO forces in the area are annihilated. It's up to his team to sort it all out. At his side are two Westerners -- Schweitzer and Wells -- and two South Korean operatives, Chung and the mysterious Forty-five. The latter is the first female combatant in a SOCOM game. Here's hoping she got her nickname from her weapon of choice.

Rest assured, there will be multiplayer in SOCOM 4, but Zipper's not talking about it yet. All we know is it will be "an all new experience" that supports up to 32 players online. When asked if there would be co-operative play, Steiner simply said, "We don't have any announcements yet about further online play." So if you're a SOCOM fan who's psyched about online multiplayer, stay tuned because we're thinking the team has a lot more to say on the matter.

The SOCOM 4 single-player campaign is built around 14 missions that unfold over about 12 hours of play time. And although Zipper is trying to make SOCOM 4 more accessible to new audiences, that doesn't mean it'll be a cakewalk. The team says they've focused intensely on artificial intelligence this time around. Don't expect dumb enemies to present their heads to you for easy popping. They're programmed to use suppressing fire, flanking and bounding maneuvers, and cover. Enemy commanders will even call in airstrikes on you (if you leave them alive long enough).

In a brief demo of a mid-game level of SOCOM 4 called The Slums, I saw a strafing run in action, and it devastated the poor enemy saps holed up in a cluster of wooden buildings. The environments in SOCOM 4 are destructible, and building materials flew in all directions as a series of explosions ripped into the landscape.

USELESS GTTV TRAILER:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-socom-4/62664

SAME TRAILER WITH COMMENTARY from Zipper's Creative Director Ed Byrne:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/socom-4-teaser-directors-commentary/

TO SUMMARIZE:

- Third Person Shooter
- SINGLEPLAYER CAMPAIGN with 14 missions, for around 12 hours of gameplay.
- 5 man squad.
- 32 PLAYER ONLINE aiming for "an all new experience".
- Destructible environment.
- Singleplayer co-op not yet confirmed.
- Singleplayer campaign will take place in South East Asia - jungles, mountains, small towns, cities
- Playstation Move integration.
- FALL 2010 RELEASE

Playstation Move (that would be Sony Wii controller) gameplay (offscreen, terrible quality):

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5r_pdWoFrk&feature=player_embedded
2) http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/6253383/socom-4-hands-on

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I hope it's not online only. That was a pretty big mess for the last game. Though I still did buy it day one mainly for the free MIC though.

Strider2K99 said:
Someone who didn't read the OP folks.

It says single and multi in the announcement.

edit: yea that stuff wasn't in the OP when I posted. Just 2 screens and a short blurp.

Anyway good I'm glad to hear it is sp/mp. I'm excited that zipper is back where they are most valuable, with the Socom franchise.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I wonder if this what GTTV is revealing tonight.

edit: beaten.

kuYuri

RbBrdMan said:
I hope it's not online only. That was a pretty big mess for the last game. Though I still did buy it day one mainly for the free MIC though.

Someone who didn't read the OP folks.

It says single and multi in the announcement.

Xater

RbBrdMan said:

How about actually reading the announcement?

I'm not totally excited for this but I have to say that a new SOCOM by Zipper is interesting. I really hope they modernize the franchise and make it great again. That Slant 6 effort was piss poor. I also enjoy me some SP SOCOM so yay!

andycapps

Not shocking that it was a shooter, but this was out of left field for me since MAG just came out. Good news though, and yeah, hopefully they support MAG and get some more content out for it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Y2Kev said:
Oh, a multiplayer military shooter! Awesome!!!!

Funnily enough they're hardly talking about multiplayer. They seem to want us to focus on the singleplayer.

All they've said about multi is that it'll be up to 32 players. So quite different from MAG I guess.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So this was first leaked on the same production site that leaked Syphon Filter 5.

What on earth happened to Syphon Filter 5 though, since that was leaked far earlier?

The events take place in Southeast Asia, but Zipper is quick to point out that you'll see more than jungles and beaches in SOCOM 4. Expect to train your sights on mountains, small towns and massive cityscapes as well. And unlike previous SOCOM games, the single-player mission is designed to be a seamless in-the-field experience. That means there's no choppering out to a cushy battleship in-between missions to load out your team and regroup. The weapons and supplies you have with you at the beginning of the mission are all you get from HQ. Like a true special forces team cut off from the outside world, you'll need to requisition supplies in-theater. Hooah.

To help build a believable story, Zipper put the SOCOM 4 actors on a sound stage together and captured their movements and dialogue digitally as they performed each scene. Naughty Dog used a similar approach with Uncharted 2 in order to achieve more natural interactions among on-screen characters. The Zipper devs didn't show any acted scenes during my demo, but they did say that all cinematic scenes are in-engine. That means you won't see sharp cuts to flashy pre-rendered cutscenes; story moments will blend in and out of gameplay.

The SOCOM 4 single-player campaign is built around 14 missions that unfold over about 12 hours of play time. And although Zipper is trying to make SOCOM 4 more accessible to new audiences, that doesn't mean it'll be a cakewalk. The team says they've focused intensely on artificial intelligence this time around. Don't expect dumb enemies to present their heads to you for easy popping. They're programmed to use suppressing fire, flanking and bounding maneuvers, and cover. Enemy commanders will even call in airstrikes on you (if you leave them alive long enough).

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1074103p1.html

DMPrince said:
hahaha. poor GTTV.

Why? This will get more people to watch their show than most of the games people were guessing in that other thread. SOCOM is a really popular series.

Apath

Xater said:
How about actually reading the announcement?

I'm not totally excited for this but I have to say that a new SOCOM by Zipper is interesting. I really hope they modernize the franchise and make it great again. That Slant 6 effort was piss poor. I also enjoy me some SP SOCOM so yay!
I don't think it really needs modernizing per say, but I'll agree that Slant 6's effort was indeed piss poor. Horrible map selection, horrible map count, clunky/laggy menus, and it was a pain in the ass to connect to games at times. Not to mention the game looked horrible, which wouldnt be so bad, but I spent most of my time dead panning around the map :D

Carlisle

Neat. Almost fell for Confrontation, but dodged the bullet last-second. Will keep an interested eye on this one.

Slant 6 deservedly got some heat for SOCOM: Confrontation, but SOCOM FTB3 (PSP) turned out to be extremely solid. That said, I absolutely adore Zipper for what they've been able to accomplish with SOCOM. It was my first and still is my only online shooter for a reason.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nirolak said:
So this was first leaked on the same production site that leaked Syphon Filter 5.

What on earth happened to Syphon Filter 5 though, since that was leaked far earlier?
Bend is smaller? I dunno. Can't give up hope.

GeoramA

Eh, at least there's an actual campaign. Pretty lengthy one too.

Getting really tired of this genre, though.

dralla

they fucked up S3 so bad I can't get excited. They kept it 32 players which is already a bad sign.

things that need to happen for me to get excited

16 players maximum
No vehicles
Completely revamped control scheme
Party system

Greg

Cut the 32-player shit - no one cares for that trash in SOCOM.

I'm hoping they got their need for a massive war game out of the way with MAG and stick to the smaller, tactical feel from SOCOM I, II, and Confrontation.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I'm disappointed by the news, but only because I don't play SOCOM.

If I were a SOCOM fan I'd be shitting my pants right now considering how mega-ton popular the series was when Zipper handled it themselves.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
I just can't believe that people are so dissapointed with this announcement? SOCOM II of the PS2-era was one of the most popular and greatest online games, even know it still tops most of the online games. If you played socom 2 online, you just know that this is a game with an enormous potential :)

32 players :\

Just let MAG be your big battle game and return SOCOM to what made it great. It all started to fall apart at 32 players. Hopefully this is much, much better than Confrontation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anerythristic said:
2010 title?

Fall apparently.

If too busy/lazy to read preview, the vital stats are:

12-hour single player over 14 missions
5-person squad
Set in South East Asia - jungles, mountains, small towns, cities
Aims to open up SOCOM to new audiences
Up to 32-player online multi
Fall 2010