• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 10 League: Zep's a No Show....again

LJ11

mlb10box.jpg

We're going to get things started Monday April 5th, if you guys want to start this thing sooner, let me know.

I'm leaning on making some slider adjustments to fielders. Too many balls going under gloves (good defenders to boot), and scrub OFers like Swisher making plays they shouldn't. Give me feedback, once the sliders are uploaded there's no going back, we can change a few other parameters (difficulty, strike zone on/off etc) after we've started but sliders will last the duration.

Trading is out, I don't need the headache unless the majority of you want it. It's virtually impossible to trade big names anyway, you can't move minor leaguers, and any trade would have equal numbers coming and going.

League will "advance" every 5 days or so. MLB allows for flex scheduling, so the first 3 series are opened up at the start, every advance brings another 3 series. Get your first series in within the first 5 days at the minimum. Each series will be 3 games long, 57 game season. If you want less games let me know, we can shorten it.

With your permission I would like to post your AIM s/n next to your PSN info.

Make sure to check out the official MLB site. The box scores are excellent.

If I'm forgetting anything, or you need something addressed, please bring it to my attention.

Should be a fun season.

Rules
  • We're going to play on HoF difficulty, strike zone, guess pitching, and hot/cold zone off. You can always look at a batters report (hot/cold) by hitting Select when he's at the plate.
  • No excessive stealing, no early stealing, if you're up in the 8th by multiple runs don't try to swap a bag.
  • Do not quick pitch your opponent, give him some time in the box.
  • Trading is allowed, all trades must be approved by a commissioner.
  • Don't peg a star player because he's working you over at the plate or pitching a gem, injuries are a factor.
  • No pitchers going on 3 days rest until the final weeks of the season. Stamina does play a role this season.

Official League Site

GAF 2.0

• Angels - BigAT (PSN: BigggAT) (AIM: CommandoAT)

• Twins - Dmncnby2k (Dmncnby2k8) (itzdaro13)

• Rays - Jambibum (Jambibum)

• Red Sox - Sanjuro Tsubaki (Sanjuro Tsubaki) (sanjuromifune)

• Blue Jays - Doytch (Doytch)

• Orioles - LJ (LJ11) (LJ11370)

• Yankees - DCX (DCXgaf) (DreamcastKC)

• Brewers - eznark (thekranz) (bpqb7)

• Cardinals - PistolPete (PistolPete294) (kissmyairsbum)

• Cubs - MrBob (MrBob2k7) (mrbob2k1)

• Mets - The Frankman (The Frankman86) (The Frankman86)

• Nationals - Turnbuckle (turnbuckle47) (danturner47)

I was wrong about the rosters. If trading is off, then free agency is off too. So my guess is that the rosters will stay up to date. I hope.

aim: kissmyairsbum

LJ11

I'll look around the boards to find a definitive answer, was looking around a bit yesterday but gave up after a couple of hours.

Rorschach said:
My PSN tag is actually Carcomar. :lol Sorry about that. :D

Hahaha, found it strange that they would let you register something like that. I've seen worse though.

Mrbob

Sweet, lets do this. What sliders you going to tweak? Also, you can post my aim name in the first post no biggie.

One last thing, your comment about pitchers resting could be slightly interpreted differently depending on how you look at it. Are you saying 4 man rotation or 5 for most of the regular season?

LJ11

I'm thinking of making adjustments to Fielder Reaction and Fielder Run Speed, I'm still messing around with them. Right now I'm setting Run Speed at 1 and Reaction at 8, I'll be playing quite a few games before committing. Feel free to mess around with these two attributes if you have some free time as well, feedback is appreciated.

With regards to pitching, you can't pitch a guy like Santana/Sabathia etc after two games, that would basically be a 3 man rotation. I'm fine with someone using either a 4 or 5 man rotation, stamina is a factor and it'll end up hurting you, at least I hope it does.

Rorschach

I can't imagine Manny on a slower setting. :\ Anything in his direction is gonna be an inside the park HR.

LJ11 said:
With regards to pitching, you can't pitch a guy like Santana/Sabathia etc after two games...
343t24o.jpg

eznark

Banned
Awesome! Just an FYI I will be out of town on the 5th (OPENING DAY MOTHERFUCKERS!!) and going to Detroit for the Frozen Four Thursday-Sunday. I'll play whoever I can Tuesday and Wednesday but the first week of the season is going to suck for me. After that I imagine I will be waiting on you bums.

I think we should start whenever rosters are out, which will probably be the 5th but if they update on Saturday or something it'd be dope to start then.

I don't care about sliders, I have no problem with the defaults. I would like to go with All-Star hitting, strike zone off.

AIM: bpqb7

LJ11

I think FMT is going to be out of town as well, no worries. Flex scheduling is fantastic, hard to get "Bobbed." Your preference for AS difficulty is noted. If enough people want AS we'll play on AS.

Just an FYI, I have everyone's AIM, just wasn't sure if you guys wanted it posted. Lots of weirdos on GAF.

LiveWire

I'm fine starting today if others are. As for sliders whatever the experts say I'll go with. I'm liking the divisions so far, should be some good rivalries.

Oh and LJ go ahead and post my AIM: Atreides815. Thanks!

I'm ready whenever.

For the new thread, I'll be able to play the majority of my games after 10 est during the work week.

You can post my AIM.

eznark

Banned
I didn't see that you had put Hall of Fame in the OP, I thought it was still up in the air. I'm totally fine with that as well, just stating my preference.

LJ11 said:
With your permission I would like to post your AIM s/n next to your PSN info.
should be TheFrankman86.

Fielder Fielder Reaction: 9 or 10 - I think 8 is just a bit too low in terms of infielder reaction, most MLB 10 sliders use the numbers I posted.

Fielder Arm Strength: 4 - Just a tweak to more accurately portray noodle-armed OFs.

Reliever Stamina: 2 - In MLB 09 I saw a lot of instances where closers pitched back-to-back-to-back days and had virtually no dropoff. In a League I want to know if a guy uses his closer two days in a row he's probably not coming back in Game 3, or at least will be tired.

Solid Hits: 1 or 2 - I know you're like "WTF are you smoking crack with Jeff Hardy? GTFO outta here". The reason I'm saying this is that the slider definition gets misunderstood at times...
Solid Hits
- This slider effects how hard batted balls are struck that ARE NOT hit squarely. So, if you put a good swing on the pitch, the ball will be hit hard no matter what this slider is set at. Lowering this slider just increases hit variety on balls that aren't hit well, that is all. If you find yourself having a hard time hitting extra base hits, raise this slider to 1 or 2. I would not recommend going past 2 or you'll see pretty much every batted ball hit hard. If you are still having trouble hitting extra base hits at 2, increase the timing slider or lower pitch speed. Raise for less hit variety, lower for more hit variety.
Also read this from OS Sports, almost every slider set I've seen has the number at 0.

The Frankman said:
should be TheFrankman86.

Fielder Fielder Reaction: 9 or 10 - I think 8 is just a bit too low in terms of infielder reaction, most MLB 10 sliders use the numbers I posted.

Fielder Arm Strength: 4 - Just a tweak to more accurately portray noodle-armed OFs.

Reliever Stamina: 2 - In MLB 09 I saw a lot of instances where closers pitched back-to-back-to-back days and had virtually no dropoff. In a League I want to know if a guy uses his closer two days in a row he's probably not coming back in Game 3, or at least will be tired.

Solid Hits: 1 or 2 - I know you're like "WTF are you smoking crack with Jeff Hardy? GTFO outta here". The reason I'm saying this is that the slider definition gets misunderstood at times...

Also read this from OS Sports, almost every slider set I've seen has the number at 0.

I've got my solid hits slider set to 0 and seem to be getting a good variety of hits. Combined with the fielder speed slider set to 1 and I'm still getting a fair amount of doubles and the occasional triple. It's nice that the fielder doesn't always cut off a ball smoked down the line anymore.

Doytch

I have no real preference for sliders, haven't ever changed them since I mostly just mess around online. But Guess Pitch isn't listed in OP, hoping it's off.

And we don't use AIM in Canada.

Kingbrave

My aim is kingbravegaf. I created such a unique and wonderful name just to play some online baseball. Y'all be jealous, it's okay. I may let you touch me one time. :lol

Nightz

Forgot to mention that I wouldn't mind starting the league sooner. Bye week in Madden and I'm done with NBA 2K so I need my sports game fix this week. :D

storybook77 said:
I've got my solid hits slider set to 0 and seem to be getting a good variety of hits. Combined with the fielder speed slider set to 1 and I'm still getting a fair amount of doubles and the occasional triple. It's nice that the fielder doesn't always cut off a ball smoked down the line anymore.
You use 0? I never could bring myself to set it there. You getting more squib grounders/Baltimore chops/bloopers down the line? I tried it at 2 and I saw a lot more of those over a 25-game stretch in MLB 09.

The Frankman said:
You use 0? I never could bring myself to set it there. You getting more squib grounders/Baltimore chops/bloopers down the line? I tried it at 2 and I saw a lot more of those over a 25-game stretch in MLB 09.

I've seen a few but not all that often and to be honest I've seen the pop ups go up more than anything which isn't unrealistic if you're swinging at bad pitches. I'm still hitting homers and line driving balls to the gaps as well. All of this is on All-Star though so I'm not sure how much of a difference HOF would make with these sliders.

LJ11

Frank, you get the game yet? Blame the hold up on Frank...:lol

Thanks for the feedback story/frank.

Guessing pitching is definitely off Doytch.

LJ11 said:
Frank, you get the game yet? Blame the hold up on Frank...:lol
pistolpete2940 said:
What's new...
I'm offended by this! You said April 5th!!!

Anyway, I'm proud to announce I have bought the game and it should be arriving from Kanagawa Prefecture in about a week or so.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Everytime I look at the Online Forum topic list, the glimpse of this topic's totle, makes me think, just for a millisecond, that Zep has returned.

He hasn't.

Rorschach

The Frankman said:

Anyway, I'm proud to announce I have bought the game and it should be arriving from Kanagawa Prefecture in about a week or so.
Even your American games have to be imported from Japan?

Fifty

I want in! I thought I was sitting this year of Show out, but that's not the case. I haven't played in a Show league before, but I've been in about every GAF sports league there is other than this, and I love Show more than any other sports game (sorry, Madden crew). I see that my Jays have been taken... I'd like to take the Angels if that's OK.

Please tell me I can still join!!

LJ11

Fifty said:
I want in! I thought I was sitting this year of Show out, but that's not the case. I haven't played in a Show league before, but I've been in about every GAF sports league there is other than this, and I love Show more than any other sports game (sorry, Madden crew). I see that my Jays have been taken... I'd like to take the Angels if that's OK.

Please tell me I can still join!!

We would need to find one more person, it may actually be doable. Give me a couple of days.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Cant we start without frankman? We gotta wait another week or so?

Honestly, we're just waiting on the opening day rosters at this point. If for some reason Frank doesn't have his game by next week (Japan, really dude?), I'll create a dummy account and use the Mets until his game arrives.

Fifty

LJ11 said:
We would need to find one more person, it may actually be doable. Give me a couple of days.

Well if you can't, then I could be a replacement in for any given team, if someone flakes. I'd understand if my short notice caused me to miss a spot.

I hope this league doesn't end the way the last one did. Judging by the last page, it went out slowly and sadly. :lol

Mrbob

The Frankman said:

What the hell? :lol Is this why it takes you so long to get the game each year? :lol

LJ11 said:
Honestly, we're just waiting on the opening day rosters at this point. If for some reason Frank doesn't have his game by next week (Japan, really dude?), I'll create a dummy account and use the Mets until his game arrives.

o ok. sounds good then.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Anyone want to play a non-ranked practice game?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Rors, play me you fucker!

Someone? :(

Matrix

Gaming thread/forum....whats that?

Btw wtf is the lag worse this year..... >_< I had smooth games last year using direct connection and this year it doesn't matter.

Rorschach

Matrix said:
Rors, play me you fucker!

Someone? :(
gg Still a bit laggy except the bottom of the 6th and some of the 7th. Let's try again tomorrow, but with me direct connected? Or even both of us!

Didn't see this post btw lol

[edit] Love hearing my music through the stadium speakers. Wish I could give each guy an intro. :lol

Matrix

Rorschach said:
gg Still a bit laggy except the bottom of the 6th and some of the 7th. Let's try again tomorrow, but with me direct connected? Or even both of us!

Didn't see this post btw lol

The lag is killer and really hurts when you have my lineup, holy shit dude the Stros are bad. My team till the day I die, but even I can admit that I have crap to work with.

I didn't really feel a smooth inning at all :( Maybe I'm just used to how smooth it was for me last year. I now know what all you were talking about last year.

Rorschach

Matrix said:
The lag is killer and really hurts when you have my lineup, holy shit dude the Stros are bad. My team till the day I die, but even I can admit that I have crap to work with.

I didn't really feel a smooth inning at all :( Maybe I'm just used to how smooth it was for me last year. I now know what all you were talking about last year.
It was laggy all game 'cept that brief window. I try to play it down or I'll have FMT come in here telling me I'm seeing things!

Matrix

Rorschach said:
It was laggy all game 'cept that brief window. I try to play it down or I'll have FMT come in here telling me I'm seeing things!

Trust me as someone who played over 300 games last year there is lag and it's worse than last year as of now. I played Fifty earlier and we have had a history of the smoothest games ever and like no lag and this year I could feel the lag in both games I played against him. Fifty has an even better internet connection this year and mine hasn't changed.

Maybe it's better for FMT this year compared to past seasons. For someone spoiled like I was, this is going to take some time for me to adjust/ and get over how annoying it is.

Rorschach

Is there any chance it will die down a bit? I know week 1 was a lot worse than now even with local dudes. It was laggy for me vs FMT, but I had a decent game with Nightz. FMT doesn't believe the lag, though. :p

I couldn't even get it to play vs Denogg, but I think the servers were whacky.

Matrix

I'm hoping it dies now. I even found it took longer than usual to actually sign in today. Last year I never had this problem, so in the long run I don't know :(

LJ11

I'll have some free time tomorrow night, would like to get in a couple of games with the two of you.

Matrix

LJ, I should be free after Lost.

eznark

Banned
Matrix said:
Trust me as someone who played over 300 games last year there is lag and it's worse than last year as of now. I played Fifty earlier and we have had a history of the smoothest games ever and like no lag and this year I could feel the lag in both games I played against him. Fifty has an even better internet connection this year and mine hasn't changed.

Maybe it's better for FMT this year compared to past seasons. For someone spoiled like I was, this is going to take some time for me to adjust/ and get over how annoying it is.
It is significantly better for me. Which is strange since I moved from comcast cable in Boston to rural DSL in bumblefuck Indiana.

Anyone wants a game today hit me up on aim, should be around all day.

Top Bottom