• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System

ff12ijzs_title.jpg

Title: Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System
System: PlayStation 2 (Codename: "The Beginning")
# of Players: 1
Language: Japanese/English (requires patch for English text! see below!)
Dolby Pro-Logic II: Yes
480p Output (Progressive Scan): No
16:9 Widescreen: Yes (Optional)

Patch for FFXII:IZJS can be found here. (Latest version: 0.19)
You must have ISO images of a US FFXII DVD and a JPN FFXII:IZJS DVD. Then follow the directions in the readme.txt file to create your English patched FFXII:IZJS image. You can then burn the image back to a DVD+/-R and play it on a PS2, load the image using the PCSX2 emulator, or install the image to a PS2 hard drive using HD Loader or USB Loader to run the game using a PS2. Remember: you need to apply patches to all versions of FFXII to run them with HD Loader!

What's new in FFXII:IZJS

The Zodiac Job System (duh)
zodiacjob.jpg

There are now 12 License Boards. You have six party members. You can only pick ONE. Choose wisely, as you cannot change jobs after you pick one! Each License Board corresponds to a different job, each of which is represented by a sign of the Ivalice Zodiac. Yeah, Ivalice has it's own Zodiac. Somebody hold me. :lol

Other new things:
Guests and Summons are now controllable!
Treasure system has been tweaked!
Hold L1 to fast-forward! (This is so incredibly useful it's fucking amazing.)
Full English voice acting!
New Game+ mode has been added!
Trial Mode (100 new monster hunts) has been added!

Yes, it is time to return to Ivalice and experience the game that plays itself! :lol
pa_smbxii.jpg

(I've always kind of wondered if the random katakana actually spells "Super Mario Bros")

GAF, let's attack aggressively and play Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System!

This is my first attempt at a GAF Plays thread. Please be gentle. :lol

Kishgal

Banned
I wish I could join in. I haven't played FF12 International since a little after it came out (played it twice through). Too much stuff going on right now, though... have fun, guys; it's a much better version of the game, in my opinion.

Also... they translated Shikaree as Hunter? That doesn't seem very necessary at all.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've got a PS2 with internal Hdd.

And I have a US 60GB PlayStation 3.

The details of the patching process is probably pretty simple to figure out... but what do I need to get HD Loader working on either system?

Alternatively... I really should get a modded PS2. I want to play patched PSone games as well....

Dresden

Screw you Square. I don't have the means to play this because you never release shit like this stateside.

B.K.

Unknown Soldier said:
Patch for FFXII:IZJS can be found here. (Latest version: 0.19)
You must have ISO images of a US FFXII DVD and a JPN FFXII:IZJS DVD. Then follow the directions in the readme.txt file to create your English patched FFXII:IZJS image. You can then burn the image back to a DVD+/-R and play it on a PS2, load the image using the PCSX2 emulator, or install the image to a PS2 hard drive using HD Loader or USB Loader to run the game using a PS2. Remember: you need to apply patches to all versions of FFXII to run them with HD Loader!

It apparently also works with USB Loader for PS3 as long as you have a launch unit that has the full backwards compatibility.

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
For all the milking S-E likes to do with FF games, how come we haven't gotten an International title outside of Japan?

They released Star Ocean 4 International so there's really no excuse at this point, right?

Star Ocean 4 International is just a straight port of the 360 version with JPN+ENG voices, multiple languages for text, and some other very minor new features here and there. I don't think there was really much work involved with bringing it out of Japan.

The International versions of Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy games add a number of things (and in the case of some, like FFX-2 and KH2, it's actually some pretty substantial stuff) that need to be translated, plus it'd be a rerelease for pretty much the same audience. Then it becomes a matter of effort vs. profit, and I guess they think it's not worth it (unless some interview explained that they have different reasons for not bringing these over).

Rad-

I tried this a month back and it was glorious but I have no PC controller so I stopped playing. Mouse + keyboard really sucked for this.

I don't claim to understand how a company like SE functions--but as a fan, this kind of shit is just irritating. "International" --- you know, as in: Only available in Japan!

Dresden

SnakeswithLasers said:
I don't claim to understand how a company like SE functions--but as a fan, this kind of shit is just irritating. "International" --- you know, as in: Only available in Japan!
Pretty much. That job selection screen is taunting me.

I've never played Final Fantasy XII, so what's different with the Zodiac job system? How is it an improvement over what was used in the standard release?

B.K.

RadioHeadAche said:
I've never played Final Fantasy XII, so what's different with the Zodiac job system? How is it an improvement over what was used in the standard release?

In the original version, everyone had access to the same License Board and became the same as far as skills and equipment they can use. With the Zodiac Job System, each job has its own unique License Board and it determines what abilities you get and what equipment you can use.

Red Scarlet

RadioHeadAche said:

In the original game, everyone had the same license board. In this, each job has its own license board.

I was going to play this and stream it once I finish The Answer, but it'd be in Japanese since I don't have a US copy of the game. Probably the opposite of most people posting in here.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
SnakeswithLasers said:
Something which adhered to the original concept of International would make sense.

The whole thing started because FFVII was rushed for the Japanese release, and they finished up all the content for the US release. It made sense to re-release the US version in their home market to make the second printing more appealing and to satiate completists. The "International" version was really the western version.

But ever since they started adding significant gameplay content to the International versions... it has made no sense to leave western markets out of the fun. If a freakin fan-patch of the original English release can achieve the task of translation, they should have made the Zodiac Job version the greatest hits release in the West if anyone was paying attention.

In the future Id prefer a 2-disc dual-language edition International re-release for all markets.

Red Scarlet

Btw I do have the Ultimania book so I could try to answer whatever questions you guys have about where to get stuff or whatever. Just ask. I also have screencaps+map caps of all the spells/techs that are not buyable in shops (found in pots instead). You can find them all here. Just look at the '12i' stuff at the very top.

Antagon

I'm a bit bummed that I started a normal FFXII playthrough a couple of weeks back. If I knew that the International version could be patched to English I would've bought that.

Anyway, I've kinda limited my characters to various jobs myself. Vaan is a warrior, Penelo a white mage, Fran a black / time mage, Ashe a Red Mage, etc.

Red Scarlet

If you guys are actually serious about wanting to play through and want info, I could probably write something up with various info that can help out. It'd be pretty 'gameplay' spoilery? I guess though?

Red Scarlet said:
I was going to play this and stream it once I finish The Answer, but it'd be in Japanese since I don't have a US copy of the game. Probably the opposite of most people posting in here.

It would be fun to have you on board. I've played through the original JPN version of FFXII so if you streamed it in Japanese at me it would just bring back memories. FFXII JPN remains the only game I've ever played from beginning to end without being able to read a single word of what was going on. Maybe you should put The Answer aside for a bit. Or just hurry up and finish it, The Answer is awfully short anyways. :lol

Vamphuntr said:
So how is the patch? I see it's version 0.19. Is everything translated? Is it bug free.

Almost everything. According to the release notes, the game can be played from beginning to end. I'm planning on doing this, anyways.

Red Scarlet said:
If you guys are actually serious about wanting to play through and want info, I could probably write something up with various info that can help out. It'd be pretty 'gameplay' spoilery? I guess though?

That would be great, actually. Most of us have probably played through FFXII already so there's not much you can spoil. I just want to know, do I have to avoid those pots again in the same places to make sure I can get the Zodiac Spear? That was so retarded in the original game. :lol

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This thread needs to be delayed by a few months so I can join it, I need to finish a few other games before this one; last time I played (normal) FFXII I spent 70hrs, so I'm just holding it back for now.

Red Scarlet said:
Nothing is really changed from the original right? So most of us that played "normal" XII wouldn't be spoiled.

pje122

Red Scarlet said:
Please do.

Chris R

Red Scarlet said:
I'd appreciate it (plus you could post some great speed tips along with some nice powerleveling tips!)

Have to ask my friend tomorrow if I can borrow his International disk he imported for a few weeks or however long I would need to beat the game. I've tried to play FFXII twice now, got much further this last time but still only to the snowy area after Frans story bit :lol

Almost done with FFXIII and I just got the ps2 emulator working on my pc yesterday so I'll probably joining in shortly. Someone should post the best settings for the game for those with a beefy system so the game looks like those screenshots in the ps2 emu thread :p

hamchan

I just got this. I'll bump this thread up in 6 months time when I might start playing it. I still want to ask a question though.

Are certain characters more suited for certain jobs or can I pick whatever board for any character without regrets?

Kishgal

Banned
hamchan said:
I just got this. I'll bump this thread up in 6 months time when I might start playing it. I still want to ask a question though.

Are certain characters more suited for certain jobs or can I pick whatever board for any character without regrets?
There are minor stat differences between characters, but it's not huge or anything that you should really let affect your decisions.

hamchan said:

I would like to know this myself.

I had forgotten that Old Dalan sits there in his room smoking a bong. That's so awesome. :lol

jaxword

Red Scarlet said:
Btw I do have the Ultimania book so I could try to answer whatever questions you guys have about where to get stuff or whatever. Just ask. I also have screencaps+map caps of all the spells/techs that are not buyable in shops (found in pots instead). You can find them all here. Just look at the '12i' stuff at the very top.

Wow, thanks so much! I've been looking for stuff like this for a long, long time. I've putting together a little collection of stuff we never actually saw in the FF series...

Red Scarlet

Unknown Soldier said:
It would be fun to have you on board. I've played through the original JPN version of FFXII so if you streamed it in Japanese at me it would just bring back memories. FFXII JPN remains the only game I've ever played from beginning to end without being able to read a single word of what was going on. Maybe you should put The Answer aside for a bit. Or just hurry up and finish it, The Answer is awfully short anyways. :lol

Almost everything. According to the release notes, the game can be played from beginning to end. I'm planning on doing this, anyways.

That would be great, actually. Most of us have probably played through FFXII already so there's not much you can spoil. I just want to know, do I have to avoid those pots again in the same places to make sure I can get the Zodiac Spear? That was so retarded in the original game. :lol

Well it depends on what all you would want me to dig up. There's obviously stuff in different places in pots and such, but then there are shop lists that are completely different, new weapons and armor, new stats/effects from weapons/armor/items, stuff like different stats/stolen or dropped items from some badguys, and this or that gameplay change too.

The Zodiac Spear can only be found I think in the same 1% pot at the Henne Mines. You can get one from those rare monster hunting guys at the Phon Coast as a prize now instead of the one at Nabudis. I don't even know how to do the rare monster hunting group thing so I don't even bother with the Zodiac Spear (plus there are IMO better weapons and the Dragon Knight job doesn't seem worth bringing along just to use that weapon).

Antagon

BocoDragon said:
Is there a patch for X or X-2 International?

The European version of X is the same as the international version. Doesn't really matter though, as from what I've seen the International version is actually worse then the normal version.

Red Scarlet

Nah, International 10 is pretty awesome. If you don't like the expert grid added to that you can use the standard grid, so then the main difference would be the new abilities that are I think also on the standard grid anyway, the Dark Aeons which don't really block anything play-wise (unless you REALLY want Auron's 4th overdrive), the Ribbon ability (which likely won't matter unless you are going to fight the Dark Aeons anyway), and some of the summons being stronger in the International one.

Kishgal

Banned
Antagon said:
The European version of X is the same as the international version. Doesn't really matter though, as from what I've seen the International version is actually worse then the normal version.
How is it worse? It adds features, and doesn't really take anything away, so I'm not sure how that could be considered worse.

Red Scarlet

X-2 International is worse because I don't know how to play the dungeon crawler game thing to access the new dungeon and bosses and stuff. :mad:

Antagon

The Dark Aeons make the International version worse simply because finally at the end of the game you get to explore the world and then they added in some enemies that will suddenly attack you and kill you in their first attack unless you grind for countless hours. Takes all the fun out of the tiny bit pf exploration that that game had.

Red Scarlet

After I watch this demo and make my Alice in The Answer (Spirit Drain + Invig 2 + Null Light + Cool Breeze go!) I'll try to make some posts with important new stuff I remember/see in the book. I'll include 'decent items' in some areas I guess as well as magic/techs with spoiler tags if you want to find them on your own.

For you guys playing emulator, I don't know how the superultimate invisible shield trick would work on that. It's pretty cheap though (but it puts even the Paladin Shield in 6 to shame).

Antagon said:
The Dark Aeons make the International version worse simply because finally at the end of the game you get to explore the world and then they added in some enemies that will suddenly attack you and kill you in their first attack unless you grind for countless hours. Takes all the fun out of the tiny bit pf exploration that that game had.

Very few of the Dark Aeons are in your way.

Dark Valefor: fights you if you re-enter Besaid (first town in the game). Only thing he is blocking is one of the spheres for Auron's 4th limit break. He's also blocking Valefor's better overdrive if you didn't get it at the start of the game and the stat boosting squares inside the temple (and the destruction sphere if you didn't get it the first time through the temple).

Dark Ifrit: fights you at the dead end of the desert by Home. Blocks nothing.

Shiva: Is at Macalania Temple, so she is only blocking the stat up spheres in that place as well as the destruction sphere if you didn't get it the first time through the temple.

Ixion: You have to talk to a guy at the Thunder Plains, so he isn't blocking anything.

Bahamut: Is at Yunalesca's chamber after you get the airship. All he is blocking is the Tidus' celestial weapon item in there that you just get as soon as you beat Yunalesca instead. So he's not blocking anything.

Yojimbo: Is at the end of the dungeon where he was. So he's only blocking something if you didn't get the treasures at the end of that place the first time.

Anima: Doesn't activate until you do that blitzball throwing puzzle at Mt. Gagazet a 2nd time, and you have to talk to her to get fought.

Magus Sisters: Fights you when you try to go back to where Operation Mi'ihen was, which there is only an Al-Bhed Primer and a sphere for Auron's 4th overdrive. I think you can avoid starting the fight to go up there anyway.

They aren't really blocking much exploration, especially considering most people playing it already have explored and played the game before.

All of the Dark Aeons except Dark Anima and Penance/Der Richter have supposedly been beaten on No Sphere Grid playthroughs, too.

I just finished this end of last week.

Went with:
Vaan - Hunter
Penelo - Uhlan
Balthier - Black Mage
Fran - Machinist
Basch - White Mage
Ashe - Knight.

Other than bringing in Fran to buff the party with Hastega, all i used was: a knight to tank, black mage for ridiculous dps (till end game), and a healer. With that i pretty much breezed through the game, bar the optional espers due to the fight setups.
The only boss I didn’t complete was Yiazmat, as after an hour i only brought down 20-30% of his hp, and wasn't planning spending another 4hours or so.

Some Japanese guys managed to figure out the random chest percentages. Used these 100% methods to acquire Trango Tower (strongest weap, 1handed) and Gendarme (strongest shield, absorbs all elements).
The only bad thing is that Square-Enix half-assed implemented these new weapons without any models, so they're all invisible.

Overall. I pretty much sum up FFXII with the word: potential. With Matsuno having full control, i would've imagined the outcome of FFXII would be dramatically different and much more interesting.

hamchan

Antagon said:

It's not like there was anything much in those areas where they appear. Only time I got screwed over is when I forgot to get something for Tidus's ultimate weapon and had to beat Dark Bahamut to access the area again.

Red Scarlet

viewtifulsub said:
I just finished this end of last week.

Went with:
Vaan - Hunter
Penelo - Uhlan
Balthier - Black Mage
Fran - Machinist
Basch - White Mage
Ashe - Knight.

Other than bringing in Fran to buff the party with Hastega, all i used was: a knight to tank, black mage for ridiculous dps (till end game), and a healer. With that i pretty much breezed through the game, bar the optional espers due to the fight setups.
The only boss I didn’t complete was Yiazmat, as after an hour i only brought down 20-30% of his hp, and wasn't planning spending another 4hours or so.

Some Japanese guys managed to figure out the random chest percentages. Used these 100% methods to acquire Trango Tower (strongest weap, 1handed) and Gendarme (strongest shield, absorbs all elements).
The only bad thing is that Square-Enix half-assed implemented these new weapons without any models, so they're all invisible.

Overall. I pretty much sum up FFXII with the word: potential. With Matsuno having full control, i would've imagined the outcome of FFXII would be dramatically different and much more interesting.

Oh, didn't know theres a Torango Tower method too. I'd just steal it from Zodiark.

It's cool though, makes it look like you punch them for 10,000+ damage:
penpunch5.gif

Kishgal

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
X-2 International is worse because I don't know how to play the dungeon crawler game thing to access the new dungeon and bosses and stuff. :mad:
I could probably help you figure that out sometime if you want. It's pretty fun.

C-Jo

I'd love to partake, but my backlog is way too large to justify another FFXII playthrough right now.

Have fun all.

Red Scarlet

Looks like there's a way to get the Zeitengraat easily too. But it only works on the console.
I'll try it in a bit.

hamchan said:
It's not like there was anything much in those areas where they appear. Only time I got screwed over is when I forgot to get something for Tidus's ultimate weapon and had to beat Dark Bahamut to access the area again.
I recall trying to go back to the first temple trial in Yuna's village so i could unlock anima, and that damn flying dark aeon cockblocking me for a week. Had to spawn right outside the entrance to the village.

Red Scarlet said:
Oh, didn't know theres a Torango Tower method too. I'd just steal it from Zodiark.

It's cool though, makes it look like you punch them for 10,000+ damage:
penpunch5.gif
I'll confess though, Ashe bitch slapping enemies multiple times for 10k-40k never got old for whatever reason.

Siyou

I got this working a few days ago on my ps2, gotta say, it's like a brand new game. I played through FF12 back in '07, doesn't feel at all the same. I feel naked and afraid at some parts because of the permanence that the sphere grids represent. =/

Top Bottom