• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED Games Announces Wide-Ranging Partnership with Nihon Falcom

Aeana

Strategic Deal Reflects Bringing the Popular Ys and The Legend of Heroes series to North America

XSEED Games today announced a wide-ranging partnership with developer and publisher Nihon Falcom, one of Japan’s most well-respected development studios, to bring the three latest installments in the long-running Ys franchise: Ys SEVEN, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and Ys I & II Chronicles, to the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system in North America. In addition, the deal will allow XSEED Games to release the next three chapters in Falcom’s popular The Legend of Heroes series, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky trilogy (known as the Sora no Kiseki trilogy in Japan), to the North American market on the PSP system. All six titles were developed by one of Japan’s most well-admired and longest-running independent-minded studios, Falcom, which has been a pioneer of the RPG genre since their first release in 1983.

“We are ecstatic to partner with XSEED Games on multiple new releases,” said Toshihiro Kondo, President of Falcom. “Their passion and reputation for working on outstanding RPGs is in line with our own development philosophy and assures me that our fans in North America will be getting the best English versions of our games possible.”

Under the terms of the partnership, XSEED Games retains exclusive North American publishing and distribution rights to multiple upcoming iterations of the Ys and The Legend of Heroes series, starting with Ys SEVEN, exclusively for the PSP system.

“I couldn’t be more pleased to announce a partnership with a development studio as renown by gamers for consistently putting out quality titles as Falcom,” said Jun Iwasaki, President of XSEED Games. “Their titles have always been some of the most requested titles so it is going to be our pleasure to oblige the North American fans by delivering an amazing line up of in-depth and gripping RPGs.”

Ys SEVEN is the latest installment in the long-running Ys series which first debuted on PC in 1987. This is the first iteration to be built specifically for the PSP system, taking full advantage of the widescreen format and hardware for beautiful graphics and virtually no loadtimes. The battle system consists of a three-member battle party with enemies engaged on the field map in real-time for fast-paced combat. Old fans of the series and new players alike will be immersed into the rich vibrant world containing over 30 hours of gameplay.

Currently in production, Ys SEVEN will be the first Falcom project from the announced line up released in North America by XSEED Games for the PSP system in late summer 2010. XSEED Games will release more product information and plans on each title in the coming months.

Really awesome.

duckroll

Hmmmm..... 6 PSP games from a niche developer, unknown chance of success in the US, boatloads of text....

Well, I gotta give it to XSEED, if you want to go out of business, at least go out in STYLE!

RESPECT! :lol

LegatoB

Yo XSEED, I love you guys and I love Falcom games, but I think you're putting the cart ahead of the horse by committing to six games right out of the gate. Also, none of them is Brandish.

Aeana

I really hope people try Ys 7 (one of the best PSP games, in my opinion), and the Trails in the Sky games. Soooo stupid of them to use the Legend of Heroes name, though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does each Ys installment have an individual story (meaning it isn't connected to the other Ys games)?

The only Ys I've played (although not finished) was Ys VI. It was fun though but it had horrible dubs at the intro. :p

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
Does each Ys installment have an individual story (meaning it isn't connected to the other Ys games)?

The only Ys I've played (although not finished) was Ys VI. It was fun though but it had horrible dubs at the intro. :p
Every Ys game is connected via a timeline of sorts, and the underlying mythos, but each one can be played individually without missing much.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
... not to be a duckroll or anything, but it's a bit weird to be planning PSP titles for end-2011 or even 2012. I'm not confident there'll /be/ a PSP in 2012.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If XSeed actually manage to release all 6 games without canceling any, then I will finally be able to consider my PSP library complete. At the very least, if they do have to cancel anything, please let it be the SnK games. I need those Ys games. Need 'em!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't see this ending well.
But Xseed gets major props from me if they manage to execute these plans.

I actually imported Ys VII when it first came out in Japan, but I didn't bother with OiF and I&II since I have those on PC already, with the fan translations. Edit - Actually, I think I did import I & II Chronicles? Why did I do that?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aeana said:
Every Ys game is connected via a timeline of sorts, and the underlying mythos, but each one can be played individually without missing much.

Thanks. :D

I guess I should try out Ys Book 1 and 2 first.

duckroll

Here's what the release schedule tentatively looks like:

Summer 2010 - Ys SEVEN
Winter 2010 - Ys Oath in Felghana
Spring 2011 - Ys Chronicles
Summer 2011 - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
2012 - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 2

PSP games in the US in 2011 and 2012? Good luck to them! :lol

Mejilan

And on further thought, if Xseed actually manages to cement a successful and semi-permanent publishing deal with Falcom... I mean, wow. Dream come true.
Especially if they can keep Ignition's diseased paws away! :lol

Yep, Ys Oath in Felghana is a top-down reinterpretation of Ys III. Consequently, it went from being one of the worst Ys games (Wanderers of Ys), to one of the best (Oath in Felghana). Assuming that the PSP port is decent, of course.

Mejilan said:
If XSeed actually manage to release all 6 games without canceling any, then I will finally be able to consider my PSP library complete. At the very least, if they do have to cancel anything, please let it be the SnK games. I need those Ys games. Need 'em!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't see this ending well.
But Xseed gets major props from me if they manage to execute these plans.

I actually imported Ys VII when it first came out in Japan, but I didn't bother with OiF and I&II since I have those on PC already, with the fan translations.

I will cut you. You take that back.

Macstorm

aysj21.jpg

Mejilan

Not dismissing anything!
I will buy every single Falcom game that Xseed manages to release, on day 0 with preorder. No hesitation! I'm merely concerned that Xseed is biting off more than they (or anyone) can chew, and opining as to where my preferences lie!

Mejilan

Can someone please post excerpts from that RPGamer interview with Falcom?
Site's blocked by corporate filters from my office... :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
duckroll said:
Here's what the release schedule tentatively looks like:

Summer 2010 - Ys SEVEN
Spring 2011 - Ys Chronicles
Summer 2011 - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
2012 - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 2

PSP games in the US in 2011 and 2012? Good luck to them! :lol

Revised schedule:
Summer 2010 - Ys SEVEN
Winter 2010 - Ys: Chapter 11

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Oh hellllls yeah.

My money, you can have it.

Edit: Oh fuck, no Brandish. Atlus, if you can hear this, release Brandish. For the Greater Good.

ULTROS!

I wonder if there will be a digital release...

Mejilan

Pretty sure recent XSeed titles have been hitting PSN on or around official retail release dates.

Mejilan said:
Site's blocked by corporate filters from my office... :(

If the hints all around the internet weren't enough to clue you in on what's going on, we'll break it down for you. XSEED Games has partnered Nihon Falcom to publish a bunch of the company's PSP RPGs. Starting off the releases will be Ys Seven, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Ys I & II Chronicles, and the trilogy The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (mistakenly thought to be Road to the Sky by us earlier). If you want to learn more about how this deal came to be and what RPGamers in North America are in for, check out what XSEED's own Ken Berry had to say about the deal.
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to talk with us about this new partnership. All of these Falcom games at once is a fanboy dream come true, so could you share some background on how this deal came about?
Ken Berry, Director of Publishing at XSEED Games: We've been holding talks with Falcom since before we published our first title under the XSEED Games brand, so this has been a long time in the making. Their games have so much depth to them with deep engrossing stories that we kept discussions with them open in hopes of being able to finalize a deal at some point when it made sense for both parties. Fortunately for us that time has finally come.

Falcom has a hefty selection of PSP titles. Why were these specific ones chosen? Some of these have been out for quite some time now.
KB: Ys SEVEN was a no brainer being that it was the first of the Ys series to be made specifically from the ground up for the PSP, and it shows in its gorgeous widescreen graphics and virtual lack of loadtimes. The other Ys titles offer fantastic elements on PSP not available in any previous versions, such as the rearranged soundtrack for Ys I&II Chronicles and fully-voiced event scenes in Ys: The Oath in Felghana.

Regarding The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, the Trails in the Sky (Sora no Kiseki) trilogy has widely been regarded as one of the best RPGs around, but people have been afraid to localize it due to the immense volume of text it contains. We were fortunate to have dedicated people willing to tackle this gargantuan task because they love the series so much.

If these go well, any thoughts of which of Falcom's other PSP titles might be revisited?
KB: We would love to work on them all as Falcom is one of the most consistent game developers we know, and you can be assured every game they put out is a quality offering.

The Ys titles seem manageable, but the Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki trilogy is a beast in terms of dialogue. How are you planning to manage all of the localization?
KB: Like I mentioned, we have some dedicated, and possibly crazy, people both internal and external that have committed upcoming years of their lives to make it happen. Don't question how it gets done because the specifics on the amount of text being translated is mind-boggling, just enjoy the fruits of their labor finally getting this amazing trilogy to American shores for all to enjoy.

What about Sora no Kiseki SC? This one was two UMDs for the Japanese release, have there been efforts to trim that down for the North American version?
KB: To be honest, Sora no Kiseki FC is keeping our hands full for now so we haven't even thought about how to tackle the larger SC yet. We've never trimmed any of our previous releases before and don't intend to start anytime soon, but you may want to check back in with us in about a year on that one...

Do you have a current timeline for releasing these titles? At least a release order perhaps?
KB: Ys SEVEN is scheduled for a late summer release, and that will be followed by Ys: The Oath in Felghana by the end of this year. Early next year will see Ys I&II Chronicles and then The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Sora no Kiseki FC). SC will obviously need a fair amount of time to complete after the release of the first Trails in the Sky.

Prior localizations of Legend of Heroes RPGs (by Bandai and Namco Bandai) have fallen flat and lost their charm due to dry dialogue. What steps are you planning to make to distance yourself from these less than stellar releases?
KB: Our translator for this trilogy is not only an excellent translator, but he's a huge fan of the series. It was because of his dedication that we were able to tackle this project. Between him and our editor, I'm confident we will do justice to this great series, something we work hard to achieve with each and every title we localize.

Falcom games clearly have more of a cult following, including many on our own site. Any ideas of how to garner more recognition for Ys and Legend of Heroes?
KB: Falcom is well-known by core gamers the world over for putting out great RPGs, but their releases in North America have been a bit sporadic and inconsistent, in both the platform and multiple publishers that have handled their titles. By releasing all their recent titles on a single platform (PSP) with one publisher overseeing all quality and marketing efforts, we're hopeful that Falcom's sterling reputation for quality will finally get a chance to reach a new group of players, something that fans have known for decades. As soon as people play Ys SEVEN for the first time, they will be hooked on all Falcom games to come.

RPGamer would like to thank Ken Berry from XSEED Games and the rest of the team for getting us the scoop on the Falcom deal. Keep a lookout for future updates on these upcoming PSP RPGs.

B.K.

Mejilan said:

Falcom has a hefty selection of PSP titles. Why were these specific ones chosen? Some of these have been out for quite some time now.

KB: Ys SEVEN was a no brainer being that it was the first of the Ys series to be made specifically from the ground up for the PSP, and it shows in its gorgeous widescreen graphics and virtual lack of loadtimes. The other Ys titles offer fantastic elements on PSP not available in any previous versions, such as the rearranged soundtrack for Ys I&II Chronicles and fully-voiced event scenes in Ys: The Oath in Felghana.

Regarding The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, the Trails in the Sky (Sora no Kiseki) trilogy has widely been regarded as one of the best RPGs around, but people have been afraid to localize it due to the immense volume of text it contains. We were fortunate to have dedicated people willing to tackle this gargantuan task because they love the series so much.

If these go well, any thoughts of which of Falcom's other PSP titles might be revisited?

KB: We would love to work on them all as Falcom is one of the most consistent game developers we know, and you can be assured every game they put out is a quality offering.

The Ys titles seem manageable, but the Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki trilogy is a beast in terms of dialogue. How are you planning to manage all of the localization?

KB: Like I mentioned, we have some dedicated, and possibly crazy, people both internal and external that have committed upcoming years of their lives to make it happen. Don't question how it gets done because the specifics on the amount of text being translated is mind-boggling, just enjoy the fruits of their labor finally getting this amazing trilogy to American shores for all to enjoy.

What about Sora no Kiseki SC? This one was two UMDs for the Japanese release, have there been efforts to trim that down for the North American version?

KB: To be honest, Sora no Kiseki FC is keeping our hands full for now so we haven't even thought about how to tackle the larger SC yet. We've never trimmed any of our previous releases before and don't intend to start anytime soon, but you may want to check back in with us in about a year on that one...

Prior localizations of Legend of Heroes RPGs (by Bandai and Namco Bandai) have fallen flat and lost their charm due to dry dialogue. What steps are you planning to make to distance yourself from these less than stellar releases?
KB: Our translator for this trilogy is not only an excellent translator, but he's a huge fan of the series. It was because of his dedication that we were able to tackle this project. Between him and our editor, I'm confident we will do justice to this great series, something we work hard to achieve with each and every title we localize.

ronito

Well good luck to them.

Unless they have a ton of cash in their pockets or Nihon Famicom agreed to pay most of the localization costs Xseed just just tied their whole wagon to these games. And frankly I don't think that's a smart move.

Ys has a bit of a following, but not huge. And certainly not huge enough for most of the following to buy every game.

Legend of Heroes is a large unknown. Certainly doesn't have the street cred of Ys.

So essentially, they've tied up their limited resources for the next year on games with limited success value. It seems to me a huge risk for little reward. There are games that their fanbase are clamoring for that have just as much marketability, if not usually more, than these.

I don't know the inner workings of the deal, but on its face if I was in charge I wouldn't do it. I'd do one game from each series with an option to do others later. But to tie yourself up for a whole year on just 2 series of games? Doesn't seem like a move that I'd make.

So incredibly happy with this news!!! :D :D :D
I've imported all the Ys titles, but it'll be great to play them officially in English... and add them to my embarrassing shrine to the Ys series.

Definitely looking forward to the Sora no Kiseki games as well.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OMG XSEED I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Please don't go out of business before the Trails in the Sky trilogy is done. :(

MoxManiac

Are these going to be UMD only? I've kinda ditched UMD for the most part but will make an exception for these titles if they are UMD only!

MoxManiac said:
Are these going to be UMD only? I've kinda ditched UMD for the most part but will make an exception for these titles if they are UMD only!
XSEED's other recent releases (Half-Minute Hero, Lunar remake) have gone up on PSN on or near to release date, so if you prefer to get it digitally, it probably won't be a problem.

Top Bottom