• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kalypso announces The First Templar for Xbox 360 & PC

Kalypso Media announces The First Templar for Xbox 360 and PC

The First Templar follows the story of two characters - a French Templar, and his companion, a noble lady who has been proclaimed a heretic. Taking control over these two unlikely allies, the player must uncover the mysteries behind the Templar Order, play a role in a grand conspiracy, and discover the secret of the Holy Grail. The First Templar is scheduled for release in Q1 2011.

In development by Haemimont Games, The First Templar is a co-operative action adventure game in development for Xbox 360 and PC. The game portrays a dark and gritty view of the late 13th century where old friends become enemies, corruption spreads throughout the Church and fallen knights oppress the weak and renounce their oaths.

The First Templar follows the story of two main characters – a French Templar, and his companion, a noble lady who has been proclaimed a heretic. Taking control over these two unlikely allies, the player must uncover the mysteries behind the Templar Order, play a role in a grand conspiracy, and discover the secret of the Holy Grail. The heroes face powerful opponents at every turn, in the face of the Saracen, King Philip IV of France and the Inquisition.

The First Templar features both single player and co-op modes. When playing solo, the player can switch between the two characters, leaving the control of the second hero to the game’s AI. At any moment a second player can join in and take control of the AI controlled hero.

Features of The First Templar

• Fast-paced cooperative play: players can assist one another as each takes on the role of the game's key characters. Drop-in/out cooperative gameplay lets the AI take over when one player leaves the game

• Single player- two characters: Play as either character, switching roles as you go to use the best skills for the job.

• RPG inspired character development: each has their own skills and skill paths, which the player can develop as they complete missions and explore the game world

• Rich, historical game-world: return to the 13th century, where European culture is on the brink of collapse. 20 historically accurate locations have been recreated for the player to explore.

4661181498_528c563fe1_b.jpg

4660559469_c1a14d0fbd_b.jpg

4660559893_2327da8e34_b.jpg

4660560243_11336d0df9_b.jpg

4661182692_8f862627f4_b.jpg

4661183018_c2c0db0401_b.jpg

4660561263_6b3c1c752a_b.jpg

4660561567_4c402319de_b.jpg

4661184182_af3f6f8e33_b.jpg

4660563523_703096310d_b.jpg

4661184486_9f5cacdf7d_b.jpg

4661185118_96196df622_b.jpg

4661185544_52f57a40f0_b.jpg

4660562491_ff61d56254_b.jpg

4661185322_2bf7b1e4c2_b.jpg

Is this a knight's contracts clone? honestly i prefer the namco title. Good lighting anyway.

Rad-

Game sounds pretty good actually, I'm a sucker for co-op RPGs. And there's something about the visuals that I like, I think it's the cleaness of them.

But I bet this is going to be another Euro game where the 360 port is done with a 100€ budget. :lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ooh a 13th century historical setting, you don't see that every d...

4660560243_11336d0df9_b.jpg

Oh... right..... Carry on then.

markot

Banned
How come both the avatars are of males but one of them is supposed to be a chick >_<?

Hope its more RPG and less hack and slashy.

ymmv

Banned
Conflict NZ said:
The HUD is giving me a "budget title" vibe.

The game is made by German publisher Kalypso Media. I think all of their games are made on a shoestring budget. Here's what they've published so far:

* Tropico 3 (2009)
* Dawn of Magic 2 (2009)
* Ceville (2009)
* Grand Ages: Rome (2009)
* AGON - The Lost Sword of Toledo (2008)
* Imperium Romanum (2008)
* Political Machine 2008 (2008)
* Racing Team Manager (2008)
* Jack Keane (2007)
* Hollywood Pictures 2 (2007)
* Campus (2007)
* Star Assault (2007)
* Theatre Of War (2007)

Upcoming games:

* Airline Tycoon II (2011)
* The Patrician IV (2010)
* M.U.D. TV (2010)
* Pole Position 2010 (2010)

Nope, can't say I've heard of even a single title.

ymmv said:
The game is made by German publisher Kalypso Media. I think all of their games are made on a shoestring budget. Here's what they've published so far:

* Tropico 3 (2009)

You've NEVER heard of Tropico? Those are pretty good games.

Anyways, game looks interesting. Will wait for reviews. Won't buy for more than $30, though, based on the "budget title" look.

szaromir

Banned
ymmv said:
* The Patrician IV (2010)\
Whoah, I loved Airline Tycoon as a kid. A sequel after that many years is a surprise. Patrician is also a nice series, albeit very hardcore.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Kalypso's just publishing, so ATII and TPIV have zero to do with this title. Previous games from Haemimont besides the Tropico titles are Imperium Romanum, Tzar and Celtic Kings.

Nasreddin

szaromir said:
Whoah, I loved Airline Tycoon as a kid. A sequel after that many years is a surprise. Patrician is also a nice series, albeit very hardcore.
Was also looking forward to a sequel. But the first screens look really bad. They should have made a sidescrolling sequel for XBLA and Steam instead of that 3D garbage.

web01 said:
Tropico 3 is awesome, no reason why this cant be a good game.
not only is tropico3 a reason this can be good. haemimont's been making good games for 10 years. idiots move along

ymmv said:
look at this, a closed platform with a web browser. how quaint

It does have that retro look, which is something I actually like. For some reason, the first game that came to mind when I saw the forest shot was Betrayal in Anatara. :)

ymmv said:

* Tropico 3 (2009)
* Dawn of Magic 2 (2009)
* Ceville (2009)
* Grand Ages: Rome (2009)
* AGON - The Lost Sword of Toledo (2008)
* Imperium Romanum (2008)
* Political Machine 2008 (2008)
* Racing Team Manager (2008)
* Jack Keane (2007)
* Hollywood Pictures 2 (2007)
* Campus (2007)
* Star Assault (2007)
* Theatre Of War (2007)

Upcoming games:

* The Patrician IV (2010)
* M.U.D. TV (2010)
* Pole Position 2010 (2010)

Jesus Christ, the kids these days...

Salazar said:
The hell did that come from ? They're radically unlike each other.

Probably the hooded protagonist and this guy.

Alex

Like the dev, adore co-op ARPGs, I'm curious. Kind of a departure from their normal work though, no?

Roped a few friends into Tropic 3 upon those nice Steam sales. I have a large fondness for that game.

Well, I'm sure there's some money hemorrhaging corridor shooter thread you could post in.

szaromir

Banned
Nasreddin said:
Was also looking forward to a sequel. But the first screens look really bad. They should have made a sidescrolling sequel for XBLA and Steam instead of that 3D garbage.
They don't seem that bad, but certainly don't have the same charm.
Jesus Christ, the kids these days...
What do you expect from a guy with Ratchet avatar?

Alex

ram said:
that looks like Knights of the Temple...which isnt something to be proud of...

Er, no, it really doesn't? Am I missing something here? It's night and day outside of thematics.

This isn't the tip of top, but it seems like a solid looking title. It's not going to compete with 60 million dollar industry-killing bullshit but there's really nothing wrong with the build quality here.

Awkward consolite expectations on what makes a game good or even look good always blow my mind.

VicViper

What is so outrageous about the possibility that these are actual renders and not bullshots. Didn't the release state specifically that they are from a very early prototype version?

Ceebs

I'll be willing to give it a go. The dev has made good stuff in the past and I am a sucker for games with swords.

Top Bottom