• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Zero Collection |OT| Four Zeros Become One

Volcynika

2ptyvih.jpg

Summary

Story details from all four games

In Mega Man Zero our hero awakens after 100 years of sleep to a world where innocent reploids (robots) are unjustly attacked by an organization called "Neo Arcadia". This new government has turned the world into a place where it is extremely hard for reploids to live and where they are under constant persecution. Reploids who have managed to escape from the punishment flee to an old city which now lies in ruin, but the evil Neo Arcadia is closing-in on their location. A genius scientist named Ciel, who lives with the innocent reploids in hopes of saving them, tries to revive the legendary reploid Mega Man Zero in order to save the cornered reploids. As Mega Man Zero, it is up to you to save the world.

In Mega Man® Zero 2, it has been one year since Zero saved the reploids and defeated the evil advance of Copy X and Neo Arcadia. Nevertheless, Neo Arcadia still hunts him and sets a trap for our hero. His plan is to trick Zero and use him to wreak chaos between reploids and humans once again. But, can he succeed? Mega Man® Zero 3 is set in a world called "Neo Arcadia" that has been created as a utopia for humans and reploids. This new chapter continues the adventure of the series' title hero, Zero, and his reploid allies in the Resistance group who are fighting for peace.

In Mega Man Zero 3, Zero encounters a malevolent new reploid called Omega who has unleashed the evil power of the Dark Elf to brainwash the Resistance in order to take over Neo Arcadia. As the only one who has escaped the brainwashing attack, Zero must fight to save his allies and Neo Arcadia.

Mega Man® Zero 4 picks up right after the events of Mega Man Zero 3. After falling under the evil rule of Dr. Weil, Neo Arcadia has collapsed into a state of chaos and confusion. Zero discovers this disastrous turn of events when he and his friends come to the rescue of a band of humans fleeing Neo Arcadia. Now it’s up to our hero Zero to resolve this terrible conflict between humans and reploids to restore peace and security to the land. With new systems to seize enemy weapons and create strengthening chips, plus new Cyber elf programs to introduce new abilities, this is some of the most exhilarating Mega Man action you can get in a handheld experience.

Quick Details

Platform: Nintendo DS
Publisher: Capcom

Release Dates

US: June 8th, 2010
JP: June 10th, 2010
EU: June 11th, 2010
AUS: June 10th, 2010

Boxart

Combine these four--

90oqon.jpg
34y8idh.jpg

34do9kj.jpg
sqtxjk.jpg

and you get:

dy174z.jpg

Features

Collection Mode: Players can collect wallpapers for the bottom screen, mod cards, and character cards. Character cards come with facts about characters in the Mega Man Zero series so you have a portable character dictionary of sorts. Mod cards are earned when modifying Zero.

Button configuration: You can customize the controls in Mega Man Zero Collection.

EDIT
You can't directly set actions to X and Y, but you can choose to have X and Y mirror A and B. Which is kind of the same thing, just not as intuitive. The proper control scheme of Y to attack, X to jump is possible, though. However, you can't map all four actions (attack, jump, dash, toggle weapons) to the face buttons at the same time, so two actions have to be set to L and R.

Easy Scenario mode: This is a “beginner friendly” version of the Mega Man Zero games where you go through Mega Man Zero 1 through 4 in order.

Images

ngf5fk.jpg
x0s011.jpg

2qtenp0.jpg
25i143s.jpg

33wawpz.jpg
4tr0qd.jpg

Videos

Official Trailer

Reviews

Nintendo Power: 9/10
Game Informer: 8/10
GamePro: 3/5

BlueWord

Definitely going to take the dive and revisit these. I loved these games when I was younger, played the shit out of them. I know my skills are a little rusty, though, so we'll see.

ismaboof

Easy scenario may have just sold me on this game. I cannot stand the DSlite's d-pad and button for precision.

I'd like to pick this up, but I just got SMG2, and 3D Dot Game Heroes, Sin and Punishment 2, and Other M already have it out for my wallet. I don't think I can justify a full priced compilation, awesome though it may be. Here's hoping it's still floating around on store shelves by the time I can afford it.

:(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I never got into the Zero games. (or X really, I'm more of an 8-bit and Battle Network fan here)
They're really good, I take it?

goldenpp72

The_Technomancer said:
I never got into the Zero games. (or X really, I'm more of an 8-bit and Battle Network fan here)

They are pretty good, better than the bad X games but worse than the best imo, but still a valid good series.

Skilletor

I will be purchasing this. I only played Zero 1 for some reason.

Who is the artist for this game? His stuff is sick.

The challenge in these games is insane! But I love them.

*Sigh* Guess gotta save up some money this weekend. Peace Walker is coming out too so I got some saving to do.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The_Technomancer said:

The best and most consistant Megaman series. All of them are good to excellent.

Aeana

I believe someone said that you can't fully customize the controls in this. I think it was Jeremy Parish. He said you can't set up a Y/B configuration, and that something always has to be bound to the shoulder buttons. If that's true, that's totally crappy, since being able to use the four face buttons would have been the reason I'd get this.

Vamphuntr

Can we change the button configurations/remap actions to different buttons in this pack? Because I have 2 and 4 on gba and playing them on a DS is extremly akward.

EDIT : Never mind Aeana already answered it.

MrDaravon

Skilletor said:
I will be purchasing this. I only played Zero 1 for some reason.

His name escapes me, but yeah I LOVE his art. I picked up the Mega Man Zero official works off Amazon a couple months ago and it's freaking awesome.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
If you're a fan of the artwork in this series (and you really should be), you need to pick up the official art book. It's only $23 on Amazon.

617rdzqPxdL._SS500_.jpg

Edit: A little late, but I posted a picture. :D

sfried

Skilletor said:
His name is Toru Nakayama. Yes, his stuff is schli- I mean slick.
He also made some hentai stuff. Then again, most manga/game illustrators are guilty of this.

BlueWord

Vamphuntr said:
Can we change the button configurations/remap actions to different buttons in this pack? Because I have 2 and 4 on gba and playing them on a DS is extremly akward.
Look up.
Aeana said:
I believe someone said that you can't fully customize the controls in this. I think it was Jeremy Parish. He said you can't set up a Y/B configuration, and that something always has to be bound to the shoulder buttons. If that's true, that's totally crappy, since being able to use the four face buttons would have been the reason I'd get this.

Aeana

This is what he said, verbatim

Jeremy Parish said:
You can't directly set actions to X and Y, but you can choose to have X and Y mirror A and B. Which is kind of the same thing, just not as intuitive. The proper control scheme of Y to attack, X to jump is possible, though. However, you can't map all four actions (attack, jump, dash, toggle weapons) to the face buttons at the same time, so two actions have to be set to L and R.

Vamphuntr

BlueWord said:

Yeah she posted about the same time as I did, so I didn't saw it before hitting post reply.

If I remember well you either put Dash or Shoot on the shoulder button. On the fat DS it's absolutely awkward to play the gba carts since the console doesn't take into account X and Y.

EDIT : Perfect combo for me would have been X shoot, B Jump and A Dash

Whimsical Phil said:
If you're a fan of the artwork in this series (and you really should be), you need to pick up the official art book. It's only $23 on Amazon.

617rdzqPxdL._SS500_.jpg

Edit: A little late, but I posted a picture. :D
I try not to look at it too much so I don't ruin it, but the art is really amazing.

BlueWord

Vamphuntr said:
Yeah she posted about the same time as I did, so I didn't saw it before hitting post reply.

If I remember well you either put Dash or Shoot on the shoulder button. On the fat DS it's absolutely akward to play the gba carts since the console doesn't take into account X and Y.

EDIT : Perfect combo for me would have been X shoot, B Jump and A Dash

Disappointing, definitely. At least giving us the option to use ZX/ZXA controls would've been nice. Seems like a lazy port.

Vamphuntr

As for impressions for those who never played them like I said I only played 2 and 4. They are certainly harder than the X games. I found the levels to be much shorter but much more difficult. I like them a bit more than the X games. One thing I really hated in 2 is that to be able to obtain the weapons/abilities from the bosses you have to get a good rank (A or higher if I remember well). Rank is calculated through the whole game. So basically you keep trying to beat a level and a boss. Once you're confident, you clear it quickly, withouth dying and taking much damage to get a good rank. You finally get the boss weapon/skill only to die on the next level you never explored before. You will die again and again your rank will drop to D and you won't be able to get the boss abilities anymore. Every bosses have skills or weapon you can get from them, yes even those that aren't the usual guardians.

In 4 they replaced that with the weather system. You can alter the weather of stages to your advantage/disadvantage. If you chose the hard way and make the level harder, the boss will have a new skill they will use on you so you will get it after the fight. Less frustrating. In both games the skills are used like Zero's skill in the X series. They are a combination of input like in a fightning game.

I really liked the chip/elf system. You can customize Zero to take less damages, do more damage, have more hp, have a second chance if he falls into a pit, move quicker and so on RPG style. Basically you can simply ignore them if you want to make the game harder to you.

If you liked the X games you will probably like this collection. For the price it's a very good deal.

Boney

Banned
Had all 4 of them and only kept 3. I'm so gonna dive into this! Everytime I play them I get depressed about how lame the ZX series is.

321281288_3347f95ab1.jpg

Mael

Day fucking 1, one of the 2 games I'll pick up until August (Galaxy 2 is the other).
I tried Zero but that bad boy spanked my ass row :lol
Anyway let's hope they'll make more Zero and ZX games now, I think we waited enough already

Boney

Banned
Mael said:
Day fucking 1, one of the 2 games I'll pick up until August (Galaxy 2 is the other).
I tried Zero but that bad boy spanked my ass row :lol
Anyway let's hope they'll make more Zero and ZX games now, I think we waited enough already
Are you a Megaman too? Let's fight!

Please.. don't let them do that to me again.

Azure J

Bought with furious intensity. This series is tied with Legends for my favorite Megaman series overall and game play wise it's easily the king of the 2D games. Also, yeah allow me to echo the sentiment that the ZX games are a weird and slightly disappointing step back from this series.

Tangent: Fuck I really want that Complete Works. I have so many of them to get but I always wanted that one the most. :(

lupin23rd

Out next week?! Need a new DS game, I'll likely snag this. However I find that only now (when I am hammered) do I realize it's a MM Zero collection and not a MMX collection :lol

Boney

Banned
lupin23rd said:
Out next week?! Need a new DS game, I'll likely snag this. However I find that only now (when I am hammered) do I realize it's a MM Zero collection and not a MMX collection :lol
That's a good thing you know?

Nessus

These games are fucking hard.

I got to (but never beat) the final boss in the first game, but the ONLY way I was able to do that was with save states, and even then I'd die like 30 times on average trying to learn each boss' pattern (and when you finally got it, it felt so empowering). Hell, I couldn't beat the first boss, the Aztec Eagle thing, without save states.

But there's simply no way I'd have the patience to restart the level every single time, or when I ran out of lives or whatever.

And I mean, I'm fine at the old NES Mega Man games.

So I'm curious about the easy mode.

Does it make it ridiculously easy or does it bring it in line with the Mega Man and X games?

Unless I'm crazy and remembering incorrectly the info you guys have on button mapping is wrong. I played this game at Wondercon and there are indeed two preset options, neither of which is ideal, but also a third fully customizable option. I had to noodle around in the menu for a minute before I figured it out though.

lupin23rd

Boney said:
That's a good thing you know?

Of all the MMX and MMZ games, I played MMX1.... so I can't really say, I was just surprised I always assumed this was a MMX collection until I'm on the train home after a lot of beer and realize, oh shit it's MMZ! :lol

Boney

Banned
lupin23rd said:
Of all the MMX and MMZ games, I played MMX1.... so I can't really say, I was just surprised I always assumed this was a MMX collection until I'm on the train home after a lot of beer and realize, oh shit it's MMZ! :lol
The X series has it's ups and downs. They're fast paced and incredibly fun, but sometimes get a little stale and bloated. Any X game after 5 isn't worth your time, and 5 had a lot of problems as well.

The Zero series ended just right, the last game is the weaker one, but still up to standards. The only problem they have is from the GBA hardware, because the screen is too small, and you can't see what next.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Unless I'm crazy and remembering incorrectly the info you guys have on button mapping is wrong. I played this game at Wondercon and there are indeed two preset options, neither of which is ideal, but also a third fully customizable option. I had to noodle around in the menu for a minute before I figured it out though.

Excellent news if true.

jaxword

That's awfully strange they spoiled each games' plot in the sequel's description. I realize deep story isn't the draw here, but still...little discretion?

On that note, are there any plot-related changes or extra missions or new storyline additions?

Pureauthor said:
Excellent news if true.
The only thing that makes me second guess myself is Parish's comments. You'd think he would be thorough enough to know what's what, but I swear that when I played it at Wondercon the first thing I checked for was button mapping. At first I thought the game stuck you with two equally annoying preset control schemes, but then I figured out there was indeed a way to fully customize the buttons. Like I said, either I'm crazy or Parish didn't do his homework. I guess the third possibility is that I was playing some scrapped build with more options, but that seems highly unlikely.

Top Bottom