• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Zero Collection |OT| Four Zeros Become One

Volcynika

ShockingAlberto said:
Damn

OP kind of took my joke

I was going to make the thread and title it "MMZ Collection - Famitsu Score: 0/0/0/0"

:lol Sorry for taking it D:

Sohter.Nura said:
What is the price, 29.99?

Anyway, interesting collection, perfect bathroom game

Yep, $29.99 for US!

I was interested in picking this up. I actually also wanted to use the collection as a discussion piece as to the difficulty of the titles, the well paced challenge & etc. among them.

Wiseblade

I was totally planning on picking this up, but it's coming out on the same day as SMG2 and I can only afford to buy one of them right away. This will have to wait. Hopefully it won't disappear into the ether too quickly...

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Oops, I feel like there's some confusion about button mapping, which is my fault for not being clearer in my comments. You can use about any combination of A, B, X, and Y for attacking and jumping (basically, you're allowed to bind X and Y to A and B, giving you two face buttons that perform the same function). The main limitation is that you can't put all four actions (jump, attack, dash, alt-attack/toggle) on the face buttons -- two of them have to be set to shoulder buttons.

Basically, they didn't go in and reprogram the games to recognize the fact that the DS has more face buttons than the GBA, so the ability to bind the buttons is part of the collection's shell (as it were) rather than an element added to the games' coding. It's a mildly irritating limitation, but definitely not a game-breaker. The important thing is that you can use Y to attack and B to jump, which I find to be the most comfortable and intuitive setup anyway.

Boney

Banned
So it´s coming out tommorow right? It's so hard to find brand new DS games here, unless it's Nintendo. :(

Boney said:
So it´s coming out tommorow right? It's so hard to find brand new DS games here, unless it's Nintendo. :(

Yeah, it's out tomorrow. It'll come in tomorrow's shipment, whenever your stores gets their truck..

Pappasman

Whimsical Phil said:
If you're a fan of the artwork in this series (and you really should be), you need to pick up the official art book. It's only $23 on Amazon.

617rdzqPxdL._SS500_.jpg

Edit: A little late, but I posted a picture. :D

oh my god. I am going to buy this right now.

Boney

Banned
red shoe paul said:
Yeah, it's out tomorrow. It'll come in tomorrow's shipment, whenever your stores gets their truck..
I'll probably be able to find it in a week's time, but that'll give me time to play some Peace Walker, so it's all gooood.

Volcynika

Added a couple reviews to the OP:

Nintendo Power: 9/10
Game Informer: 8/10
GamePro: 3/5

Preordered it at GameStop, but no call! I'll call over there tomorrow after work and see if they have it in.

EDIT: Also, Game Informer details the easy mode

this easy mode decks Zero out in all his end-game gear. Maxed-out sub-tanks, life bar, weapons, and abilities are granted to those who prefer to feel like a badass robot right away

this easy mode decks Zero out in all his end-game gear. Maxed-out sub-tanks, life bar, weapons, and abilities are granted to those who prefer to feel like a badass robot right away

Pft. The true badass reploid is able to dash through the whole game and wreck shit without ever getting hit once.

That's part of the reason why I love the Zero games so much. In comparison to MMClassic and MMX, you're a just a red hurricane tearing through shit.

Edit: The ignorance in those reviews is just painful. X was never defeated, and Cyber-Elf appearances certainly aren't random. GAH.

I wanted this but two things hindered me.

1. MGS Peace Walker came out and it's $40.
2. Mega Man Zero Collection doesn't take up the full DS screen but it feels like you're playing a GBA game on the DS Lite/Phat.

That turns me off a little. Great collection but it seems like a lazy port.

lyre

Pureauthor said:
Pft. The true badass reploid is able to dash through the whole game and wreck shit without ever getting hit once and without using anything other than what Zero starts out with.

That's part of the reason why I love the Zero games so much. In comparison to MMClassic and MMX, you're a just a red hurricane tearing through shit.
Fixed like the Shield Boomerang after MMZ2 prologue.

Edit: The ignorance in those reviews is just painful. X was never defeated, and Cyber-Elf appearances certainly aren't random. GAH.
Not surprising. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of the guys in this thread not playing the games right either. :p

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
That's because it IS a lazy port. The fact it actually got finish is a miracle. Either that or Capcom probably found a spare Passy lying around or something.

kiryogi

Banned
So apparently in the emulation community, it took like 10 minutes of writing code to fix the resolution for DS D: Why so lazy Capcom. :/ I'm hoping they would release that for patch too, but theyre the community is working on english text on jp version. Since JP ver was uncensored and all that good stuff. That said, getting my copy tomorrow hopefully.

sfried

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
My guess is that they originally trie dit but it didn't scale "perfectly" (i.e 2x) so I guess they stuck with the borders for the sake of pixel-purity (pixel-per-pixel recreation as opposed to off-scaled character sprites). IMO it was logical.
oracrest said:
I'm going to pick this up for an upcoming trip.

I have never played the Zeros before.
You are in for a treat my friend. MMZ's Zero is what happens when you turn MMX"WHATAMIFIHTING"FOOOOOOAR Zero into a badass.

Salsa

I really enjoy the Megaman Zero series, never finished one though. I think its because i would enjoy it even more if it was a little more oldschool isntead of "hey lets go talk to this guy" i want stages and bosses in my megaman games, thats all.

Im buying this.

SalsaShark said:
I really enjoy the Megaman Zero series, never finished one though. I think its because i would enjoy it even more if it was a little more oldschool isntead of "hey lets go talk to this guy" i want stages and bosses in my megaman games, thats all.

Im buying this.

Eh? The Zero games were all like that from MMZ2 onwards. MMZ1 was pretty wonky, tho'.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ah yes, one of the best side scrolling series ever. :D

My Best Buy didn't get in a single copy, of course.

omg rite said:
Ah yes, one of the best side scrolling series ever. :D

My Best Buy didn't get in a single copy, of course.
This is a low, low, low, low, low print run.

I'd honestly be shocked if there's more than 15,000 across the country.

I want to get this, but my R button on the ds is not that sensitive anymore so if I can't change the button configuration it has to pass.

storafötter said:
I want to get this, but my R button on the ds is not that sensitive anymore so if I can't change the button configuration it has to pass.

This might sound a bit weird but you can fix it by blowing into the button.

Put your lips over the button and blow. That should fix the issue!

kiryogi said:
So apparently in the emulation community, it took like 10 minutes of writing code to fix the resolution for DS D: Why so lazy Capcom. :/ I'm hoping they would release that for patch too, but theyre the community is working on english text on jp version. Since JP ver was uncensored and all that good stuff. That said, getting my copy tomorrow hopefully.
This kind of stuff annoys me, it's a possible thing to do because modders can figure it out but the real developers just half arse it, how are the modders doing this btw? an actual resolution change so you can see more screen or is it resizing to fit?

Nuclear Muffin said:
This might sound a bit weird but you can fix it by blowing into the button.

Put your lips over the button and blow. That should fix the issue!

I will try that then :p! can't say im too optimistic but why not thanks!

ShockingAlberto said:

How do you know?

Guess I need to buy it like today then :D

Pietepiet

Will the US version work on a European DSi? Apparently there were cases where standard DS games didn't work (Sonic Classics Collection), and no European stores seem to list this :(

bumpkin

Sohter.Nura said:
What is the price, 29.99?

Anyway, interesting collection, perfect bathroom game :lol
But if I kept it there, I'd never leave the bathroom. :D

Such great games. The perfect fix for those who miss old school (i.e. 2D) X series games, and can't stand the pretentious pseudo-RPG trash that is ZX.

Balb

Tried MMZ3 a long time ago and couldn't get into it, but as a big Mega Man fan in general I'll pick this collection up and hopefully appreciate the series.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

I just checked at work and this literally is not in the Best Buy system. The company as a whole isn't carrying it.

MoxManiac

ShockingAlberto said:

Are you speculating about this or do you have info that this is true?

omg rite said:
I just checked at work and this literally is not in the Best Buy system. The company as a whole isn't carrying it.

They'll likely carry it eventually. When Phantasy Star Zero came out I was hell bent on buying it at Best Buy because I had some gift certificates there. A few days after release and it still wasn't listed on their website. I caved and bought it elsewhere, but shortly thereafter pretty much every Best Buy I went to had it in stock. It's not a high-profile title so they'll probably just get it in a little later on.

Pietepiet

Taking my chances with the whole "will it work on my DSi" thing and ordered it from PlayAsia. No stores here in Holland seem to have it

Wizpig

When I'll buy this, I will play it on the DSi XL... I'm curious because it's basically a GBA game on the XL, wonder how it looks.

Ifrit

Does anyone know if thay American version is still censored?

It's not a dealbreaker for me, just curious, but the game does look better with the oil/blood than without it

I hope it will sell well so we can get Megaman Zero 5 one day. Otherwise, the DS can die, it will never get a better game than this collection :D

Pietepiet

RockmanWhore said:
I hope it will sell well so we can get Megaman Zero 5 one day.

Why? The story concluded with 4. I'd rather keep it at that than let it turn into the mess that X became.

Pureauthor said:

That line about random elf appearances in Zero 1 is a bad edit on my part. The original sentence was that the conditions for earning elves in missions were so obscure that their placement was seemingly random. The word length edit I did later messed up the facts. Very dumb.

It was pretty nice going back and playing through these again. I hadn't played through 1 through 3 in years, and it was my first run through of Zero 4. The lack of button mapping is pretty irksome. I stand by Easy Mode being the best part of the collection; getting to play Zero 1 again without level grinding weapons was a treat.

Anony

u know what, i played this game 3 times

first on the gba: fucken hard, died so much, shitty scores
2 more times on psp: easier and better score due to save states

i dont even know how i'm gonna go back and beat this game on the ds because i'm so spoiled with savestates

the sad thing, i played this game 3 times, and i still dont understand the elf or chip system on ALL FOUR games
i hope i aint the only one

Hobbun

The only Megaman games I have played are the originals on the NES. Is this a sidescroller similar to that? Or does it have the RPG mix I hear the Megaman X games have?

Anony said:
u know what, i played this game 3 times

first on the gba: fucken hard, died so much, shitty scores
2 more times on psp: easier and better score due to save states

i dont even know how i'm gonna go back and beat this game on the ds because i'm so spoiled with savestates

the sad thing, i played this game 3 times, and i still dont understand the elf or chip system on ALL FOUR games
i hope i aint the only one

Well all the four games have their own elf system. But basically you have to get screws and use them to level up your elves, then you can use them by either activating them once (for exemple to increase your HP bar) or you can equip them for other kind of use (save you once from a bottomless pit, kill all the enemies in the screen, etc...). What's nice about the elf system, is that if you're stuck on a level and do it over and over, you'll naturally grind and gets tons of screw to level up your elves allowing you to get extra help. But the bad side is that the system is confusing, and most people take the time to understand it, will more likely be skilled enough to not want to use them and get good ranks. And in the end, nobody uses them :lol

Top Bottom