• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Zero Collection |OT| Four Zeros Become One

Wizpig

Hobbun said:
The only Megaman games I have played are the originals on the NES. Is this a sidescroller similar to that? Or does it have the RPG mix I hear the Megaman X games have?
RPG? not really... it's mission based and you have wall-jump and other abilites.
It's more based on your SWORD instead of your "mega buster".

You liked the NES games... chances are you will like this.
Oh and buy Mega Man 9 & 10.

Hobbun

Wizpig said:
RPG? not really... it's mission based and you have wall-jump and other abilites.

It's more based on your SWORD instead of your "mega buster".
You liked the NES games... chances are you will like this.

Ok, thanks. Think I will give this a shot. Can't beat the price for 4 games.

Wizpig said:
Oh and buy Mega Man 9 & 10.

I have 9, hard as fuck. Have only completed 3 stages. Not sure if because my skills have gone to shit or it is harder than the original Megamans. Probably more the prior.

I haven't gotten 10 yet, but most likely will get around to it eventually.

Boney

Banned
kiryogi said:
So apparently in the emulation community, it took like 10 minutes of writing code to fix the resolution for DS D: Why so lazy Capcom. :/ I'm hoping they would release that for patch too, but theyre the community is working on english text on jp version. Since JP ver was uncensored and all that good stuff. That said, getting my copy tomorrow hopefully.
huh¿?¿?
Metal Gear!?

Bebpo

Banned
I have the GBA games and can play them on my DSlite. Is there any reason to buy this? Do the games look better, as in they fill the whole screen?

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:
I have the GBA games and can play them on my DSlite. Is there any reason to buy this? Do the games look better, as in they fill the whole screen?

Nope as I mentioned in my post up there. Capcom was LAZY. Benefit of having them all on one cart might be the only perk? Here's what the scene did to demostrate:

zerocorrectsize.jpg

D: So lazy capcom.

mjc

Got home with my copy. It has the cheapy quick seal that some other DS games have instead of folded corner wrappings, and it seems like the cover insert is printed in low quality or something. Maybe its just my eyes. Looking forward to playing them at some point though.

Skilletor

kiryogi said:
Nope as I mentioned in my post up there. Capcom was LAZY. Benefit of having them all on one cart might be the only perk? Here's what the scene did to demostrate:

zerocorrectsize.jpg

D: So lazy capcom.

I see no difference here. What am I looking for?

Skilletor said:
I see no difference here. What am I looking for?
I'll explain what I know, the DS collection is basicly all the games on one cart, the original games being just like they use to be, gba games.

The first image shown is how the collection looks to us, it runs the older zero games in GBA resolution just like a separate gba copy would run on a DS, given the black boarders because the DS does not stretch older games to fill (I forget if GB games can resize or not)

THe image on the right is after some modder spent 10 minutes with the code from the collection cart, managed to make the gba games fit full screen via showing more of the game, it's not resized or zoomed in but the game's resolution is changed to fit the screen.

I have no idea if this causes problems or items to pop in where they usually would be off screen, but it works and it's something capcom could have added in themselves.

Volcynika

Got my copy (fortunately before a huge thunderstorm rolled into my area)

Probably going to start it up tonight sometime. Manual is very colorful at least, something a lot of publishers lately can't seem to care about :lol

Pappasman

The full screen difference does not seem like that big of a deal. It would have been nice but the game is no worse off for having it.

Boney

Banned
Skilletor said:
Ah. Sorry, I was looking for image quality.

I have a DSI XL. That's going to make this more apparent, isn't it?
It's still going to zoom in though, just like regular DS games. Only a little bit less.

ACE 1991

BlueWord said:
Definitely going to take the dive and revisit these. I loved these games when I was younger, played the shit out of them. I know my skills are a little rusty, though, so we'll see.

I played them as a kid as well. I thought the art style was so damn neat, which it still is.

Diablohead said:
I'll explain what I know, the DS collection is basicly all the games on one cart, the original games being just like they use to be, gba games.

The first image shown is how the collection looks to us, it runs the older zero games in GBA resolution just like a separate gba copy would run on a DS, given the black boarders because the DS does not stretch older games to fill (I forget if GB games can resize or not)

THe image on the right is after some modder spent 10 minutes with the code from the collection cart, managed to make the gba games fit full screen via showing more of the game, it's not resized or zoomed in but the game's resolution is changed to fit the screen.

I have no idea if this causes problems or items to pop in where they usually would be off screen, but it works and it's something capcom could have added in themselves.

I don't think it's worth the effort. On that screen, the background is fucked up, you have a huge purple sky that breaks the nice gradient of the original. Plus as you mentioned, it can be a source of problems as stuff spawning at the edge of the screen is very common in the Megaman games.

It would have been worth the effort if the screens had a 16:9 ratio, but here, the blacks borders are not a problem, they're barelly noticable, and you'll forget about them after 20 seconds of gameplay.

ZeoVGM

Banned
digita1alchemy said:
They'll likely carry it eventually. When Phantasy Star Zero came out I was hell bent on buying it at Best Buy because I had some gift certificates there. A few days after release and it still wasn't listed on their website. I caved and bought it elsewhere, but shortly thereafter pretty much every Best Buy I went to had it in stock. It's not a high-profile title so they'll probably just get it in a little later on.

Zero is another game we never got a single copy of. In fact, I don't think anyone in our district did.

kiryogi said:

lazy indeed.

the GBA carts on a micro = ultimate win!

Salsa

Diablohead said:

Where can i find this patch ? how can i apply it ? only through a flashcart right i guess..

Wizpig

Skilletor said:
I have a DSI XL. That's going to make this more apparent, isn't it?
Huge pixels and not-so-detailed sprites because this is a GBA game, I guess.

If the XL had a GBA slot you could see it with your GBA games.
... You'll see it here.

I too will play it on the XL.
It's what some fans wanted: Zero on a bigger screen... but the black bars are still there, and, well, I don't know if it's going to look hot.

2d DS games like Castlevania are MUCH better on the XL compared to DS Lite, but what if you could try GBA Castlevania games on the XL? I have my doubts.

Still, I'm pissed about this whole "10 minutes, Capcom lazy" thing.
No day-one for me, but I will buy it eventually.

Just got back with my copy. I checked both Gamestop and Best Buys in my area and none of them received any copies. I happened to go to Wal-Mart to pick up a couple of things and was really surprised to see it there.

Looking forward to starting it up. I only have played the first Zero game, so I think I'm in for a treat.

Salsa

Original games = effing hard

New 1-4 mode = waaaaay too easy

So, does the new mode get harder later on ? i dont know what to do :/

Mael

Yeah!!!! Megaman Zero is noob friendly at last!
I noticed the black borders too, but yeah it's not like they're trying to pass this collection as anything but gba games on a ds cart anyway.
Personnally I'd say I prefer it this way than having something else being fucked up because of that (they probably didn't even need to test the game in depth since it's basically just like having the gba inside the ds instead of a weird middle ground, testing on how the game would look was done by Nintendo while making the ds vs done by Capcom while doing the collection).
The artworks on the bottom screen is always awesome :D

Just also saying, the only that my town probably had was because I actually preordered the game....

Salsa

Mael said:
Yeah!!!! Megaman Zero is noob friendly at last!

The easy mode is BEYOND noob. Its almost impossible to die even once, infinite retrys etc.

I guess ill play the original modes, hope i dont get too frustrated.

ZeoVGM

Banned
SalsaShark said:
The easy mode is BEYOND noob. Its almost impossible to die even once, infinite retrys etc.

The more you play, the better you'll get.

Boney

Banned
SalsaShark said:

Charged buster is your best friend. Also you get better and that's what good about them

Volcynika

Yeah, learning the boss patterns is essential, like any Mega Man game. I've made some progress on Zero 1 (the only one I actually beat before, didn't pick up 2/3/4 for some reason) but it's definitely difficult when trying to make your moves if you don't know what the boss can do.

I'm about a little less than halfway through 1, only beaten one of the four main guardians, so I still have a ways to go!

Davey Cakes

In the games where you level up, the charged Z-Saber is your best friend.

It's what makes the original Mega Man Zero go from impossible to beatable.

Gattsu25

Banned
Rash said:
In the games where you level up, the charged Z-Saber is your best friend.

It's what makes the original Mega Man Zero go from impossible to beatable.
I haven't played Zero 4 yet, but the Z-Saber was (pretty much) the only weapon I used in the GBA versions of 1-3 (and DX for the DS)

GeekyDad

Pappasman said:
The full screen difference does not seem like that big of a deal. It would have been nice but the game is no worse off for having it.

Yeah, it hasn't really hampered my experience of the games. It's kinda cheesy on Capcom's part, but they did manage to throw some meaty bones into the package. Someone mentioned having all of the Zero games on one cart as being the only perk, but the "easy" mode is actually an inspired addition. It's a bit too easy, I must say, but for the younger generation just now getting into Mega Man, or folks who like to use cheats for their DS games, it has its benefits, I think. I tinkered with it a bit, but then went right to game select, as it started to get boring for me real quick. For me, Zero 1 is the only really frustrating game because of some poorly designed platforming moments that don't quite hold up for me these days. By the time you get to Zero 4, though, you can begin to feel the direction they were going with the ZX (DS) games.

Good package -- great if you love Mega Man -- but I'd much rather have a Metroid collection for DS. :D

Boney

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Buster? never
Oh yes! Keep shooting lvl 2 shots and you'll get good warning of whats coming ahead.
Anyway got the game on friday and beat Zero 1 already. It's a nice package I must say. Love the manual and well, having Y/B rocks.

Didn't focus much on Rank and just got A, I'll probably beat all then go back for hard and S.

Volcynika

Woohoo! Finally beat Zero 1 again :lol

The last boss always gave me problems until I got back into the groove of reading what to do when he uses specific attacks. And I beat the game before with only the buster, this time with the Z-Saber, so a new way to play :eek:

Onto Zero 2 tomorrow!

Volcynika

Even more progress for me.

Finished up Zero 2 over the weekend, last boss not too difficult. Zero 3 I just finished up tonight, last boss was soooooo annoying until I abused elves to heal me so much during the fight :lol

I heard Zero 4 got rid of some things like the elemental chips, is the game difficult compared to the earlier ones, easier, what? I chose normal mode instead of easy for it, so not sure how that will turn out.

Salsa

At the final battle
against X
on Zero 1, began player other stuff but ill be back and finish it, then start 2.

Playing on the original difficulty as well, yeah you really get better.

Salsa

SalsaShark said:
At the final battle
against X
on Zero 1, began playing other stuff but ill be back and finish it, then start 2.

Playing on the original difficulty as well, yeah you really get better.

Man, i left it at this, i need to go back D:

Finally got some time to give this one some proper love.

Holy shit what a suprising challenge! I must've died like 6 or so times on the first boss alone before finally finding a pattern that worked.

One question, I noticed when you have "mission failure" the mission seemingly dissapears from the quest log if you choose not to reload a save/have no more Retrys. Um, do they come back lol?

Also bought the Zero/X Complete Works Artbooks to celebrate as well as Maverick Hunter X on PSPGO.

Debating whether or not I should pay the money for Mega Man X Collection (it's out of print, therefor can be expensive)

Salsa

Pureauthor said:
Take comfort in knowing that MMZ1's final boss is the hardest final boss in the series.

MMZ2's final boss is a sad joke.

I dont really find it hard. Its just the usual stressfull boss rush before endboss Megaman thing. Always gets me, then some time later i go back and finish it.

Mael

GeekyDad said:
Yeah, it hasn't really hampered my experience of the games. It's kinda cheesy on Capcom's part, but they did manage to throw some meaty bones into the package. Someone mentioned having all of the Zero games on one cart as being the only perk, but the "easy" mode is actually an inspired addition. It's a bit too easy, I must say, but for the younger generation just now getting into Mega Man, or folks who like to use cheats for their DS games, it has its benefits, I think. I tinkered with it a bit, but then went right to game select, as it started to get boring for me real quick. For me, Zero 1 is the only really frustrating game because of some poorly designed platforming moments that don't quite hold up for me these days. By the time you get to Zero 4, though, you can begin to feel the direction they were going with the ZX (DS) games.

Good package -- great if you love Mega Man -- but I'd much rather have a Metroid collection for DS. :D

Huh seriously it feels like in ZX they were trying to implement multiple characters in the games (hence the bometals), they furthered it in ZXA with the A-Trans system.
Even the way the games are designed are a reaction to how the Zero series went.
I mean ZX is made like Zero1 but you don't get teleported to the place needed for the mission, meaning that you can get lost (which was kinda dumb, they should have removed the main missions selection, not the complex overworld).
As far as story goes, well I'm not finished yet but I'm kinda sick of ALWAYS fighting the same elemental bosses and the elemental chips are the worst thing to be removed from the series (seriously like the overdrive mode in the ZX games, it's hard to see how it affects anything and why guess it's a leftover from classic megaman).

retrospectively I prefer the variety of ZX and ZXA to the rigid structure of Zero 1 &2(3 is not finished yet).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sorry to resurrect this thread so sudenly, but I'm wondering about port quality. Are these perfect ports of the GBA games, or perhaps a bit better (without any fan patches or that kinda nonsense)? Primarily, I'm concerned about whether there's a change in resolution that either cuts some of the screen off or that distorts the graphics... yeah.

And I assume these aren't particularly English-friendly games if I were to import the JP version?

Top Bottom