• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 gameplay trailer

demolitio

It's looking pretty solid in my opinion. The graphics are pretty clean and vibrant. I'm not used to seeing those colors in games, so they picked a pretty good setting in my eyes.

I'm excited because it's SOCOM but I could have done without that trailer. It just looked so generic ... but then again I loved SOCOM II before every other game was a military shooter.

I hope there is a campaign this time and not just online only. Please don't let it be just online only.

demolitio

flyinpiranha said:
I'm excited because it's SOCOM but I could have done without that trailer. It just looked so generic ... but then again I loved SOCOM II before every other game was a military shooter.

I hope there is a campaign this time and not just online only. Please don't let it be just online only.

Uhhh...You just watched a trailer of the campaign. :lol

NameIess

I'm still anticipating this title, but the trailer did not blow me away...
The trailer was just ok, but I have hope they will get the multiplayer right and Socom will regain it's place as one of the flagship online console games.

Proelite

Awntawn said:

SOCOM 4 is set at an undisclosed location in Southeast Asia. The player controls a character unofficially called the "Ops Commander," the leader of a 5-man NATO special forces squad deployed near the Strait of Malacca. He is accompanied by two Americans named Schweitzer and Wells, as well as two South Korean operatives, Chung and Forty-Five. One of the first female combatants from the first SOCOM, Forty-Five is reported to be "vital to the story." The plot stretches over a six-day period in two main acts. The special forces squad is said to face an indigenous revolutionary group known as the Naga. Zipper reports the story to be "beyond the typical bounds of military shooters." The commander is Cullen Gray and he gives orders to other 4 soldiers.

darkwing

Proelite said:
SOCOM 4 is set at an undisclosed location in Southeast Asia. The player controls a character unofficially called the "Ops Commander," the leader of a 5-man NATO special forces squad deployed near the Strait of Malacca. He is accompanied by two Americans named Schweitzer and Wells, as well as two South Korean operatives, Chung and Forty-Five. One of the first female combatants from the first SOCOM, Forty-Five is reported to be "vital to the story." The plot stretches over a six-day period in two main acts. The special forces squad is said to face an indigenous revolutionary group known as the Naga. Zipper reports the story to be "beyond the typical bounds of military shooters." The commander is Cullen Gray and he gives orders to other 4 soldiers.

glad they are fleshing out the SP

Yoboman

demolitio said:
It's looking pretty solid in my opinion. The graphics are pretty clean and vibrant. I'm not used to seeing those colors in games, so they picked a pretty good setting in my eyes.
What colours?

demolitio

Yoboman said:
What colours?
Anything green plus some light colored buildings and a pretty modern city considering most modern day military shooters are all some form of brown/tan. It seems like if it's a military shooter based on a believable story, it's set in the desert.

A fictional Asian country is a great setting to have considering they can have modern cities, smaller towns and villages such as a fishermen's village, rice paddies, and jungles. So hopefully they take advantage of that and give us a variety of locations. I'd love to see some jungle maps return online.

Cerberus

Looks ok. Had fun with the past SOCOM campaigns. Hopefully Zipper will deliver a good variety of locations and objectives and good teammate AI. Looking forward to hearing Bear McCreary's soundtrack for this game.

Hydrargyrus

Looks good, and I can't wait to play it with the Move. I'm very interested in that.
But IMO, needs some graphical improvement, specially on the textures and animations.

But even that, it seems like will be a fantastic game, I have no doubt

The Take Out Bandit said:
Remember when this game used to be about Navy SEALS?

Also, was the video just choppy on my computer; or is this just another Zipper Interactive game? :lol
I do remember when the game use to be able avoiding confrontations or minimize it, not freaking huge battles.

Crakatak187 said:
I do remember when the game use to be able avoiding confrontations or minimize it, not freaking huge battles.

Well, I don't know about that.

In all my time playing SOCOM2 is was all about rush'n attack.

Really SOCOM on paper is a brilliant idea. In the hands of console gamers, it turns to shit because everybody just wants to be playing Unreal Tournament / Halo. Gamers couldn't abide a realistic combat game. It would bore them to death.

IMO this is just Zipper catering to it's audience, even if the audience shouts "Do no want."

Yoboman

demolitio said:
Anything green plus some light colored buildings and a pretty modern city considering most modern day military shooters are all some form of brown/tan. It seems like if it's a military shooter based on a believable story, it's set in the desert.

A fictional Asian country is a great setting to have considering they can have modern cities, smaller towns and villages such as a fishermen's village, rice paddies, and jungles. So hopefully they take advantage of that and give us a variety of locations. I'd love to see some jungle maps return online.
Eh? I dunno where you get that from. Even in the poster-child of modern shooters, MW2, that's not really the case

I'm mainly basing off Socom 1 campaign. The best thing to do was take out the enemy before your spotted. This trailer rubs me in the worst way possible.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
LiquidMetal14 said:
Looks WAY better than Confrontation. Socom looks like it's back.
graphically?

i know socom isnt about graphics but while it looks better than confrontation, it doesn't stand up to even average games this gen.

Crakatak187 said:
Everybody but me. I play only campaign.

@_@

This is crazy talk!

I'd find the single player campaign more bearable if the AI allies weren't complete bone heads. Oh man, I botched so many missions because my stupid AI partners couldn't follow simple orders.

It was like herding heavily armed cats through a mine field. :(

Cerberus

Crakatak187 said:
I'm mainly basing off Socom 1 campaign. The best thing to do was take out the enemy before your spotted. This trailer rubs me in the worst way possible.

This was possible in SOCOM 2's campaign too. I redid every mission if someone spotted me. :lol Felt good to just go through a level completing objectives and fucking people up like a ninja. I'm not feeling the vibe of this trailer too much either. From the way it was edited, it seemed much more dudebro and less Navy Seals. Really hoping Zipper allows every mission to be completed using a stealth approach and not forcing the player into conflicts.

Zophar

This really should have come out three years ago instead of wasting time with Confrontation. I have a feeling this one is just going to get swept under the radar with the bevy of huge games coming out this fall.

Ramirez

I'm hyped to see Zipper back at the helm, didn't really care for Confrontations, and I really don't care about the campaign. I just want them to find the magic that was Socom 2 online and transfer it over to next gen. :p

Crakatak187 said:
The key is to bait them not depend on them. Got to take it real slowly.

I wasn't depending on them.

I just wanted them to park their asses while I ran into the house and took out the threat. But nooooooo! Porkchop, or whatever his callsign was had to keep getting up and following me because he was afraid of the dark.

AI partners need to die in a fire, unless it's the Undead Knight in Guardian Heroes. The only good AI partner in the history of gaming.

Greg

Man, I'm so happy with the focus on SP - can't wait for 10 hours of blazing action, silky framerates, and intelligent squadmates!

I hope multiplayer ditches that tactical shit for Modern Warfare 3rd person!

demolitio

Yoboman said:
Eh? I dunno where you get that from. Even in the poster-child of modern shooters, MW2, that's not really the case
I said believable story...right? One that doesn't feel like it randomly jumps to different locations just to have a variety of climates. Shooters set in the modern day focusing on one big location for their story always seems to be the desert. There's no real believable story set in an Asian country like this. Hell, the new trend is snow instead of desert anyway. I guess Homefront technically has a lot of color for a modern day shooter focusing on one set location, but that goes back to that whole believable story thing.

I'm just saying there's a lot of color for a game with a story that centers around one main location. I'm sure SOCOM 4 will turn to some crazy Hollywood story in the end too since they wanted to focus on the narrative. :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
The graphics are very below par for a Sony first party title. Sony better not show off this next to KZ3 at their press conference.

Obviously having to make a game like MAG forced them to make some concessions in terms of tech, you prioritize certain things over others and either you benefit from your decision or you end up suffering for the rest of the cycle.

Ramirez

Greg said:
Man, I'm so happy with the focus on SP - can't wait for 10 hours of blazing action, silky framerates, and intelligent squadmates!

I hope multiplayer ditches that tactical shit for Modern Warfare 3rd person!

Joke post? Do not want MW in 3rd person.

Bradach

he was definitely giving commands during the carnage so lets hope the tactical element from SOCOM 2 is intact.

I'm very excited to try this with MOVE :D

Greg

Ramirez said:
Joke post? Do not want MW in 3rd person.
I thought the same thing when I read your post about being excited for Zipper at the helm, because everything they've said up until this point goes completely against anything unique S2 represented.

I'm a bitter SOCOM fan for life - I'll never let this down. :lol

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Poor Socom fans that wrote off Confrontation and cried for Zipper to take control again to make a proper Socom. Looks like they might be out of luck once again. We'll need to see more footage especially multiplayer but I can't say I'm interested at all yet. At least I can stick with Confrontation if this doesn't pan out well (for the hardcore/old school).

Ramirez

Greg said:
I thought the same thing when I read your post about being excited for Zipper at the helm, because everything they've said up until this point goes completely against anything unique S2 represented.

I'm a bitter SOCOM fan for life - I'll never let this down. :lol

I admittedly haven't been reading anything on the game up to this point, blind faith I suppose. :lol

Confrontations was the entire reason I purchased a PS3, it didn't pan out well for me, so I have to look some where. :p

Cerberus said:
This was possible in SOCOM 2's campaign too. I redid every mission if someone spotted me. :lol Felt good to just go through a level completing objectives and fucking people up like a ninja. I'm not feeling the vibe of this trailer too much either. From the way it was edited, it seemed much more dudebro and less Navy Seals. Really hoping Zipper allows every mission to be completed using a stealth approach and not forcing the player into conflicts.
It does feel good, no it feels wonderful :D. I got Socom 2 but the early levels were way too dark when I played it in the past. This trailer gives me the impression that it's not even a stealth game anymore. It looks full blown over the top action like Call of Duty.

Beating the Socom 1 campaign without making a mistake for all level is the most satisfying experience.

Top Bottom