• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 gameplay trailer

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
BattleMonkey said:
"realistic shooters" on consoles are dead, simple as that.
Socom's not realistic

edit: it just feels like Zipper got left behind, Socom this gen could've been Sony's CoD in a way, i dunno what was their strategy at the studio.

Some great ideas in MAG, but that game was not needed really, the resources and ideas in that game could've been incorporated in a Socom 4 and make a bigger impact, with a bigger budget and pretty engine.

Socom 4 is not doing anything new(well....MOVE support..)not pulling new fans, and is downing old fans. not good news

J-Rzez said:
SOCOM 2/3 did things that even todays games lack in features. Give them the credit where it's due.

I'm not looking to start a flame war, but I'm sincerely interested in knowing what SOCOM did that today's games lack in features.

Please list some, because honestly my experiences with modern online games have not left me longing for bad frame rates and frequent disconnects (which SOCOM 3 fixed, but the fanbase hated that game).

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Socom's not realistic

As realistic as any other console game. Rainbow Six was considered "realistic" as well (notice the quotes). Going for more arcade like shooting experiences given by COD, BF, Halo, is what sells.

Greg said:
The 6700 people still playing Confrontation 20 months after a complete failure of a launch disagree.

Thats a pretty pathetic number compared other shooters on the market. Having a die hard group of fans does not equate to big money success.

Greg

BattleMonkey said:
Thats a pretty pathetic number compared other shooters on the market. Having a die hard group of fans does not equate to big money success.
The shooters that get TV advertising and aren't online-only?
The shooters that don't get bad press from the second they're released?

Give some some numbers of these other shooters (or any online title) on the system to back that up, please.

A strong advertising campaign with a bullshit CG commercial filled with explosions can sell a game to the casual market - there are ways to be successful and sell copies outside of changing the mechanics of what the series has represented.

darkwing

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/12/brand-new-socom-special-forces-trailer/

Greetings SOCOM fans across the pond!

This is Ed Byrne at Zipper. I’m proud to announce that our first official gameplay trailer is now unleashed for your viewing pleasure. After revolutionary group Naga swiftly takes over a Southeast Asian country, a lone group of Special Forces operators is all that remains to bring control to chaos. Led by a legendary NATO Operations Commander, they have just six days to unravel the elusive intentions of Naga’s commanding General.

In the trailer you’re going to see first hand the new features we’re bringing to the SOCOM series, including destructible environments, dynamic cover and an all-new tactical AI system. Under all this you’ll see the heart of SOCOM beating – a team of operators working together against unimaginable odds to get the job done.

We’ve revealed the main characters and their backgrounds in previous posts but now you get to see them in action; stay tuned for further updates.

Okay, you can go back to the World Cup now!

what does dynamic cover mean?

dralla

ah I remember when socom was about stealthily moving through environments. i guess at this point they're throwing the name on this to sucker people in

rvy

Banned
dralla said:
ah I remember when socom was about stealthily moving through environments. i guess at this point they're throwing the name on this to sucker people in
I don't. Last time I checked it had broken stealth mechanics, but whatever. SOCOM was always about MP.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
BattleMonkey said:
"realistic shooters" on consoles are dead, simple as that.
it what world was socom ever realistic?

real word military conflict does not include bunny hopping and circling your enemy while spraying your gun.

mgo1 sans the box and dancing is still the most realistic looking gun fighting ive ever seen in a game.

Garjon

Really not a good trailer; it basically showed off nothing that would be new for the series/genre. It might as well have been CGI.
Are they saving it for the Sony presser or something?

Safe Bet

Banned
After revolutionary group Naga swiftly takes over a Southeast Asian country, a lone group of Special Forces operators is all that remains to bring control to chaos. Led by a legendary NATO Operations Commander, they have just six days to unravel the elusive intentions of Naga’s commanding General.
Tell the programmers to go back to programming and hire a fucking writer.

Also...

You named your bad guys after a WoW MOB?

Really?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Safe Bet said:
Tell the programmers to go back to programming and hire a fucking writer.

Also...

You named your bad guys after a WoW MOB?

Really?

You do realize NAGA have been around far longer than in that POS MMO right?

As for this game I'm sure N.A.G.A stands for something. North Asian Guerrilla Army maybe?

Safe Bet

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Yes, I looked it up...

Maybe there's not alot of audience overlap between the two games, but the first thing that came to my mind when reading that name was WoW.

It will be the same for anyone else who plays or has played WoW.

Alienshogun said:
As for this game I'm sure N.A.G.A stands for something. North Asian Guerrilla Army maybe?
Why would a group of Asians acronym their organization's name using the English alphabet?

;)

Seriously though, you might as well have the bad guys screaming COBRRRAAAAAA!!!! as they attack.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Safe Bet said:
Yes, I looked it up...

Maybe there's not alot of audience overlap between the two games, but the first thing that came to my mind when reading that name was WoW.

It will be the same for anyone else who plays or has played WoW.

Why would a group of Asians acronym their organization's name using the English alphabet?

I don't know? Why did the Kurdish Democratic Party do it? KDP which is PDK in their native tongue.

It could just be a acronym the English speaking coalition uses as well like N.V.A. (North Vietnamese Army)

It only made sense to me since a southern Asian country was taken over by the N.A.G.A so my logical conclusion was, North Asian Guerilla Army.

They didn't explain it in depth.

As for people thinking of "WoW" first when they hear NAGA, that's only because they are either ignorant to where Naga originate or they play too much WoW.

I played the hell out of EQ2 and Naga are all over in it, I didn't immediately think of EQ2. It's going to happen though.

Safe Bet

Banned
Alienshogun said:
I don't know? Why did the Kurdish Democratic Party do it?
Honestly, I have no fucking clue...

Did they call themselves KDP when speaking in their native tongue or only when speaking English?

Sorry about the derail, but it's a curious topic.

Edit:

Just read your edit and checked out a list of known terrorist groups on Wikipedia...

It seems they almost all have English names and many have English acronmys.

I have no idea why, but...

*shrug*

My bad...

J-Rzez

The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm not looking to start a flame war, but I'm sincerely interested in knowing what SOCOM did that today's games lack in features.

Please list some, because honestly my experiences with modern online games have not left me longing for bad frame rates and frequent disconnects (which SOCOM 3 fixed, but the fanbase hated that game).

Just some off the top of my list that most don't do today;

- Proper clan support. Not just a "tag" being listed as clan support, but real clan support including name, tag, clan stats, etc.
- S3 had clan ladders.
- S3 had scheduling clan battles.
- Accessories adding encumbrance.
- Realistic shot patterns and bullet trajectory. (Example: AN-94 fired like it does in real life, even this isn't depicted in MAG properly to my dismay)
- Good stat following (which sadly not all track properly even today)

Alienshogun said:
I don't know? Why did the Kurdish Democratic Party do it? KDP which is PDK in their native tongue.

It could just be a acronym the English speaking coalition uses as well like N.V.A. (North Vietnamese Army)

It only made sense to me since a southern Asian country was taken over by the N.A.G.A so my logical conclusion was, North Asian Guerilla Army.

They didn't explain it in depth.

As for people thinking of "WoW" first when they hear NAGA, that's only because they are either ignorant to where Naga originate or they play too much WoW.

I played the hell out of EQ2 and Naga are all over in it, I didn't immediately think of EQ2. It's going to happen though.

Bu bu but.. I'm gaming with a Naga mouse now too, so I can use a Naga in a game with Nagas yo! :p

Greg said:
The shooters that get TV advertising and aren't online-only?
The shooters that don't get bad press from the second they're released?

Give some some numbers of these other shooters (or any online title) on the system to back that up, please.

A strong advertising campaign with a bullshit CG commercial filled with explosions can sell a game to the casual market - there are ways to be successful and sell copies outside of changing the mechanics of what the series has represented.

Nothing to compare it too, but your claiming that basically this game is going to do crazy numbers since it's already matching up to the "requirements" your putting forth? Even the top selling SOCOM titles are dwarfed by the sales and player numbers that we have seen from countless other random fps/tps games. Obviously Zipper doesn't have faith in it's own roots.

Safe Bet

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Even the top selling SOCOM titles are dwarfed by the sales and player numbers that we have seen from countless other random fps/tps games.
SOCOM has never been blessed with the production, marketing, and post-release support budgets those "other" games have.

There was also a time when SOCOM II was the second most played online console game, bested only by Halo II which had a budget that far exceeded SOCOM's.

Doel

Safe Bet said:
SOCOM has never been blessed with the production, marketing, and post-release support budgets those "other" games have.

There was also a time when SOCOM II was the second most played online console game, bested only by Halo II which had a budget that far exceeded SOCOM's.
This exactly.

Since SOCOM 3 when the franchise was ruined by vehicles, large maps, multiple modes per map, etc, and had a huge online drop-off rate because of it, Sony has poorly handled the SOCOM franchise, especially from a PR and Marketing perspective.

Greg

BattleMonkey said:
Nothing to compare it too, but your claiming that basically this game is going to do crazy numbers since it's already matching up to the "requirements" your putting forth?
No, I have no clue how it's going to sell. I'm saying if they're trying to reach a broader crowd then there are more ways to go about it than changing the feel of the game and releasing sub-par game trailers compared to others in the genre that they're trying to mimic.

BattleMonkey said:
Even the top selling SOCOM titles are dwarfed by the sales and player numbers that we have seen from countless other random fps/tps games. Obviously Zipper doesn't have faith in it's own roots.
I'm not going to fight sales, but list me the player numbers of some of these games that dwarf SOCOM.

I haven't played in a while, but look at something like Uncharted 2. It sold 3.5 million copies last I saw, had TV advertising, tremendous amounts of positive press, and tons of DLC and post-launch support through various updates. What kind of numbers is it bringing in online these days 8 months after release?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I don't understand something.

I was just looking the "SOCOM Special Forces" trailer on the Sony blog, and despite being the very same as the "SOCOM 4" one on GameTrailer it is referred to as "SOCOM Special Forces", with Move bullet points and the PSN logo ending the whole thing.

Is this some kind of Move only PSN spin off of SOCOM 4?

I don't get it.

edit

It starts like this
sqtx5k.jpg

Then it shows stuff like this
6enlew.jpg

and this
11j801e.jpg

And then it ends with this
1604kh.jpg

soon followed by this
9vjqjq.jpg

???????

darkwing

maybe its the subtitle like SOCOM: Confrontation, SOCOM: Special Forces instead of just SOCOM 4

edit: anyways interesting post from the blog

Posted on 12 June, 2010 at 11:54 am by Richard Yap

Hi bazza, as Ed mentions gameplay footage – so yes it’s looking very good.

yeah i guess its looking good as a SOCOM game, compared to Confrontation :lol

Psykotik

Alienshogun said:

Naga means Dragon in certain Asian languages. Like Malay and Indonesian.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
darkwing said:
maybe its the subtitle like SOCOM: Confrontation, SOCOM: Special Forces instead of just SOCOM 4

Perhaps that, and maybe Sony Europe wants to push this as a Move title. The PSN logo at the end is odd tho. I recall seeing it only in PSN titles trailers (not just every game with online MP)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Psykotik said:
Naga means Dragon in certain Asian languages. Like Malay and Indonesian.

I understand that, and while it could be a terrorist group simply named Naga, it could also be an acronym.

I find it doubtful that they would simply just be calling themselves Naga, but who knows.

We will know soon enough.

Kittonwy

Banned
Greg said:
No, I have no clue how it's going to sell. I'm saying if they're trying to reach a broader crowd then there are more ways to go about it than changing the feel of the game and releasing sub-par game trailers compared to others in the genre that they're trying to mimic.

I'm not going to fight sales, but list me the player numbers of some of these games that dwarf SOCOM.

I haven't played in a while, but look at something like Uncharted 2. It sold 3.5 million copies last I saw, had TV advertising, tremendous amounts of positive press, and tons of DLC and post-launch support through various updates. What kind of numbers is it bringing in online these days 8 months after release?

Usually about 50k online at anytime.

Top Bottom