• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kinect only works/functions when you're standing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
All credit to Jibber Hack for bringing up the article in the MS conference thread:

Standing Room Only said:
Right now, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat. That's not exactly how I want to watch my movies. If the focus for Kinect is creating games like Dance Central that naturally would require you to be off your couch, that's great. But I have to say, no one thinks "I am driving a car!" while standing up in their living room.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099085p1.html

No word on if that's temporary or not. They've got four-five months to fix this. I mean, seriously?

Edit: gofreak says:

gofreak said:
Edge reported devs' concerns on this exact problem - parsing out the player from furniture - a couple of issues ago. It seems entirely believable when you take a moment to think about the challenges involved vs dealing with people standing 'free'.

Again though, said article said that MS was working to fix this.

But Aaron Greenberg twitters...
Yes you can sit or stand with Kinect, depends on the game or experience.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Wow... I knew that family video was scripted, but the one part I thought was cool was when the dad paused the video without a remote... while sitting down. Bummer.

belvedere

Junior Butler
dn1.jpg

skyfinch

I think it'll be fixed. The forza demo already showed the guy kneeling down towards the wheel of the car and he's still able to navigate.

kyo_daikun said:
Im sure when they were demoing the zune feature the guy was sitting down and using his hand to do stuff?

Nah, he was standing through the whole thing. I thought it was just because he was presenting at the conference.

And he was black and it wurked fine!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Nif said:
I hear it doesn't work on black people, either.
I didn't come in at the beginning of the big conference, but I came in fairly early, and this is exactly what I thought of when I noticed that the first presenter I saw was a black guy wearing mostly black clothes. :lol I just thought to myself "well, this HAS to be intentional."

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
skyfinch said:
I think it'll be fixed. The forza demo already showed the guy kneeling down towards the wheel of the car and he's still able to navigate.
that wasnt real. he was syncing with the video

Massa

skyfinch said:

The Forza demo was most likely staged.

epk4fa.jpg

fernoca

Yay!!
Great job Microsoft, just when I've arguing about how is not mandatory to play Kinect while standing up.. :lol

Leon

skyfinch said:

That wasn't a Forza demo, that was a Forza video, just as faked as the family promo ads.

I can see why that would be, but I always figured it'd be able to recognise upper body on it's own.
I don't think it ever had a chance of working if you were lying on your sofa or something.

Both Microsoft and PrimeSense showed lifestyle videos of people navigating from the sofa, don't tell me these were staged in some way!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This just gets better and better doesn't it? :/
I'm sure they'll patch it or something like that to at least let you navigate menus and shit w/out having to stand up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom