• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kinect only works/functions when you're standing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How can it have trouble? Wouldn't your skeleton just be compressed or smaller? What about...small people?

Cynar

Jibber Hack said:
Nah, he was standing through the whole thing. I thought it was just because he was presenting at the conference.

And he was black and it wurked fine!

In the promo the guy was sitting down.

teiresias

I'd guess it has nothing to do with being high or low (standing or kneeling), but maybe it has to do with the minimum distance between you and the back of your seat. If you're sitting in a high backed chair or sofa, the algorithm used to edge detect your body (which I'm guessing is working mainly off of the depth information, otherwise it's just an EyeToy algorithm doing normal image edge detection off the video camera) can't distinguish between where your body ends and where the sofa or chair back begins, because they're so close together. If this is the case, I'd imagine it might have the same issue if you were to, for example, stand right against a wall and try to use it. If this is the case, maybe you can sit in a backless stool or beanbag, but not in something with a back on it - no reclining for you.

Of course, I'm speculating on the technical aspects of this situation so I could be completely wrong.

It just keeps getting worse and worse for MS this E3 :lol

I'm sure it'll be fixed though. At the moment, I doubt this will cause any harm other than a bit of bad press.

Speevy

Banned
A few years ago, Sony asked its fans to get a second job so they could afford a Playstation 3.

With Kinect, your console is the second job.

I think this needs to be clarified.

I'm assuming the tracking software (currently) requires the entire skeleton to calculate and track movement, and sitting down would obscure the femur bones.

I'd suggest that this will be rectified for the launch.

ampere

:lol Microsoft oh Microsoft
I don't even know what to say :lol
I've already ordered the slim 360 so they did something right this E3 but this kinect stuff is a joke

Animal

Banned
Try using your kinect when you want to play music, movies or pictures on your big screen tv and there are lots of people over.

Forget using it when you're throwing a party. "Everyone stay the fuck out of my area!" :lol

Alx

There are a few real demos of the Forza thing, on 1up I think. And it can rely on simple processings, that would not require full body analysis (tracking only the head should be enough for this demo).

Anyway, that would explain why the launch games are mostly dancing, fitness and shovelware : they're late on the body analysis libraries. Shame on them (not that it's an easy thing to do, but once you have announced your product, you must meet your deadline).

NullPointer said:
Comfy shoes?

Won't be soon before MadCatz releases a 'Gamer Jumper,' in the same tradition as those jumpers mothers install in doorways to keep their kids entertained! 'Play Kinect the way you always hoped you could! It's has the comfort of your couch, but without that pesky lack of skeletal recognition!'

goldenpp72

You'd have to be an idiot to think this will be the case at launch, seriously.

If it was, microsoft would be laughed out of the market.

Alx said:
Anyway, that would explain why the launch games are mostly dancing, fitness and shovelware : they're late on the body analysis libraries. Shame on them (not that it's an easy thing to do, but once you have announced your product, you must meet your deadline).

good point, it makes complete sense now.

This goes beyond backing the wrong horse. Microsoft's horse just busted out of the gate, climbed up the side of a water tower, and started sniping innocent gamers with a high caliber rifle. What a disaster.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That's one of the very concerns Edge said devs relayed to them...that they were having problems figuring out the player vs furniture.

But I think that's surely something MS needs to fix to even have a working product. So I'm sure they will.

I'm slightly more surprised though by the voice control stuff. All this fabled MS voice research and Ubisoft's implementation works better? :lol Of course, that has time to be polished up too I guess.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
meh I don't believe this for a second. They'll fix it... and I don't even want/care of this thing works. There's no way they would be so stupid as to find a way to make this thing work sitting down. Don't worry, this thread will be lulz when they correct it.

Man

skyfinch said:
About 7:30 in, he's clearing kneeling down, and still able to navigate.
You misunderstand the problem here. That's not the same as sitting and being a part of sofa mesh. You are on your feet still and with open space around you.

GhaleonEB

All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet.​
A remote control that only works when you stand up. Brilliant!

So if a game only needs your arms, torso and head to do stuff... you have to stand up? sounds wrong to me.

Can't be right surely? or it has trouble telling you apart from the back of the sofa for some unknown reason.

Y2Kev said:
How can it have trouble? Wouldn't your skeleton just be compressed or smaller? What about...small people?

Half your body disappears into a big blob the same distance away as you. It's not sure if that's you sitting down or you have giant deformed elephant legs.

I think they could easily make it work for upper body though if that problem is genuine. Surreeelyy..

TheOddOne

Well if you posted the full part this comes up:
Right now, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat. That's not exactly how I want to watch my movies. If the focus for Kinect is creating games like Dance Central that naturally would require you to be off your couch, that's great. But I have to say, no one thinks "I am driving a car!" while standing up in their living room.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Y2Kev said:

I think it's a problem of clearly segmenting you from furniture based on depth data. I mean when you're standing up, it's just your body...press you into furniture (by sitting into a couch or whatever) and the depth map is gonna get a lot noisier. That, at least, is why I imagine it's difficult.

And it's not the same problem as figuring out that you're kneeling.

ascii42

Y2Kev said:
The problem is that when you are sitting, your upper legs are horizontal, so they would disappear in the camera's view. So I can imagine it having trouble reconciling that. It's possible that once you stand up and it sees your whole body and recognize it, that you could then sit down, and it could figure out what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom