• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kinect only works/functions when you're standing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

NullPointer said:
Or these:

2500-xbox-shoes-20090512034131867-0.jpg
I smell a new bundle!!

JBuccCP

*Comes inside after five fun hours of ubisoft lazer tagz with friends*
"Hey I'll just plop down on the couch here and play some easygoing forza"
"Please stand to use Kinect"
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Vinci

Danish
goldenpp72 said:
Now I think the kinect showing was all around crap, but come on, i'm sure the thing will at least function correctly, it may just not offer anything of value.

Actually, that's the reverse of '[functioning] correctly.' It needs to offer something of value.

TheOddOne said:
Ofcourse they did, else they would have not found the problem :/
Sorry, worded it wrong. I just find it unbelievable that MS of all companies tested the device, found it it didn't work properly sitting down and said: "That's fine. Lets show it off to the world!" I thought they would dominate E3 with great games for Natal after them saying how they were courting major publishers and so forth. Now it seems like Kinect has way too many problems(Simple thing like sitting down) and just isn't ready.

A delay would be better than rushing it.

Okay, ya know what...like most (at least among gamers), I think Kinect looks like a shitty product and I would never buy one...at least not for myself, if my daughter were a bit older it would be tough to escape Kinectimals...but come on. There is no way this won't be fixed for launch.

That said. Typical Microsoft, bringing shit to market before they really know what the hell they're doing or they have all the kinks figured out. They've been doing this pretty much since the first Xbox was announced and it keeps getting worse.

JWong

Banned
I think games that only require arms only scan the upper body. Games that require the entire body will require you to stand up because you need to do so to play the game.

My guess anyways.

Foil

So you have to stand up and be asian? Well I'm 0/2 so far. Guess this product is not for me. What will I do without my Skittles? Tell me, what?

spwolf said:
i wonder how many people will get fired over this cluster fuck. From the name, to the circus thing and then staged demos... All the media is hating on this thing now, how the heck do you turn them around?

Don't forget those glorious purple cases.

Speevy

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Its aimed at the living room (your parents and younger siblings) not the bedroom/ dorm room :lol

Oh okay, that's a relief that the people who own the console now not only don't have the software to consider buying for it, but they also aren't the demographic for it AND they can't play it in small spaces.

I love casual gaming because it includes everyone!

Axiom

I just cannot buy they'd release it if you can't even navigate the menus sitting down. Like this is 'delay for another year until you sort that shit out' kind of fail.

There's just no way,

it'd be hilarious if it were, but that's...just...that's right below 'doesn't work on black people' in terms of something they need to debunk right away.

Cynar

Jibber Hack said:
Can we bombard our favorite journalists to try to clear this up before the show ends?

That's an awesome idea, hopefully someone can ask another in a position to answer this

CrushDance said:
...Dude. The majority of their Natal stuff was recorded footage.

yup, and it's pretty stupid to believe that the thing wouldn't work sitting down. We need more legitimate sources. I think it's crap but common sense says MS can't be this stupid.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Really they should just be programming all the navigation stuff to look for a head and hands, not an entire skeleton.

Vinci

Danish
CrushDance said:
Sorry, worded it wrong. I just find it unbelievable that MS of all companies tested the device, found it it didn't work properly sitting down and said: "That's fine. Lets show it off to the world!" I thought they would dominate E3 with great games for Natal after them saying how they were courting major publishers and so forth. Now it seems like Kinect has way too many problems(Simple thing like sitting down) and just isn't ready.

A delay would be better than rushing it.

If this isn't fixable within the next three months or so, they should simply delay it till the launch of their next console. Should've done that in the first place, had it as a standard component of the kit.

Alx

skyfinch said:
And in the the Ubisoft fit demo, the lady had her jacket on, took it off and Kinect was able to track it.

It didn't have to track it, all you saw was the raw depth data (with a small smoothering maybe), the camera detected something, but it didn't know it was a jacket or even a single object.

Anyway, people should stop thinking that MS just overlooked the case of people sitting, of course they didn't. But because it's a new product, they had many functions to develop, and some of them are not ready.
I'm confident in the possibility of tracking sitting people : the information is there, and as the processing is done by the console, they are not (too) limited by the hardware. Besides, separating an upper body from the background is not such a difficult task, and once it's done they're back to the same situation than with a standing body (even easier, since there are less degrees of freedom).

Amir0x

Banned
it's ok guys Dopeyfish said this thing is great especially for hardcore games, I'm sure standing is part of the package

probably a bulletpoint they'll put on the back, something they'd really want to advertise

"NOW INCLUDES THE INABILITY TO SIT DOWN WHILE PLAYING! STAY ALWAYS INVOLVED WITH KINECT*

*Seriously you can't sit down. Oh god what have we do--"

Vinci said:
This is E3. They announced this thing a while ago. If they haven't, at any point in time during this thing's development, thought that, "Hey, people might want to use this while sitting down," then they are so clueless it's beyond rationalizing.

If they knew this was an issue, and it's something they've been trying to fix but couldn't... that's worse.
I was impressed by all the UI stuff yesterday, much more so than I expected, but I did think the guy on stage during the show looked super stiff as he waved to log in, hold his hand up to navigate the menus or dvd ff/rr, always with his legs super stiff and his arms straight at his sides.

looked, how you say? janky?

JWong said:
I think games that only require arms only scan the upper body. Games that require the entire body will require you to stand up because you need to do so to play the game.

My guess anyways.

What if it losses you because you blend into your furniture? Im guessing they are really going to struggle to get this working.

Alx

Graphics Horse said:
Sad thing is it DOES have an IR sensor, isn't that heat vision already?

No, the IR used in most devices (and kinect alike) is near infrared (not visible to the eye, but very close to the reddest light we can see). Heat vision is far infrared (different wavelength).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Doesn't the Yoga thing require to sit down during some exercises? How does that work? I don't recall.

There's no way this is really true; you'd think that this would be one of the first things they made sure would work before even demoing the thing to people. I need more evidence before the lulz are legit.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Amir0x said:
it's ok guys Dopeyfish said this thing is great especially for hardcore games, I'm sure standing is part of the package

probably a bulletpoint they'll put on the back, something they'd really want to advertise

"NOW INCLUDES THE INABILITY TO SIT DOWN WHILE PLAYING! STAY ALWAYS INVOLVED WITH KINECT*

*Seriously you can't sit down. Oh god what have we do--"

STAY ERECT, STAY KINECT

Amir0x said:

Seriously what happened to that dude? I haven't seen him in any of these threads since he proclaimed the Cirque do Soleil thing a grand success and guaranteed the rise of hardcore Kinecting

echoshifting said:
Seriously what happened to that dude? I haven't seen him in any of these threads since he proclaimed the Cirque do Soleil thing a grand success and guaranteed the rise of hardcore Kinecting

He's busy trying to Kinect with reality.

Alx said:
No, the IR used in most devices (and kinect alike) is near infrared (not visible to the eye, but very close to the reddest light we can see). Heat vision is far infrared (different wavelength).

I thought that might be the case, but proper heat vision would be awesome.
Hopefully they'll have stereo heat vision cameras in the 3DSplus. :lol

teiresias

skyfinch said:
In that demo, a guy holding a camera was able to navigate. And in the the Ubisoft fit demo, the lady had her jacket on, took it off and Kinect was able to track it. So Kinect does seem capable of distinguishing objects in relation to the body.

I sure in the end, it's a matter of standing, allowing Kinect to calibrate your body, then you're free to sit down or whatever.

The Ubisoft demo didn't track anything when she took off her sweater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-iZjILgm8E#t=00m40s

All the game is doing is displaying a visualization of the depth information from the IR camera. When she has the sweater on it's close enough to her body that it shows up in the "depth map" that they've used to edge detect her body in order to isolate and display it. The minute she throws the sweater away and it's obviously no longer part of the same mesh of depth information it simply disappears. That's not tracking diddly-squat, it's not saying to itself "oh she's taken off her sweater," it's saying to itself, "ooops, that obviously isn't actually part of her body so let me not display it anymore, I was confused because they were so close together to start with."

It's the same issue that would cause the problem with sitting in a comfy sofa and the software not being able to tell the sofa isn't part of your body.

alr1ghtstart said:
welp it's good they wasted this on the 360, and not making it mandatory on the next one.

That's just about the only silver lining for me -- this will be such an unqualified disaster that MS will abandon it for the next generation of consoles.

I still don't see the funny, though.

Fake edit: Come to think of it, how many of you have played the Wii with bona fide casuals? I have -- quite a bit -- and all of them, every single one, for every single second, have stood while playing. It's not a defense -- I'm so bummed out by this Kinect bullshit -- just an observation.

fernoca

Guy LeDouche said:
I was impressed by all the UI stuff yesterday, much more so than I expected, but I did think the guy on stage during the show looked super stiff as he waved to log in, hold his hand up to navigate the menus or dvd ff/rr, always with his legs super stiff and his arms straight at his sides.

looked, how you say? janky?
Yeah..
Is like he was forcing himself to not move his arms while he was talking..and only raised the arm he needed, when needed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Zombie James said:

Actually, the guy in the chair, from a complexity POV is probably one of the easier cases for them to address.

But the lady on the couch? Slumped into a big couch swaddled with another person (or cushion or...)? When you start thinking about that, and realising there isn't infinite precision in the depth data, I think you start to appreciate the potential for problems. The way the woman there is, particularly if the couch was bigger, and if she was slumped a bit more she would just look like a huge blob of noise to the camera I think. And given that there are really infinite possible combinations of setup here, how do you train it to parse out the person? When standing up, people pretty much look the same (just different sizes, which is irrelevant)..but sitting down and with furniture etc. it becomes a whole other problem I think.

That said, I doubt this is an insurmountable problem. Per Edge's article MS is trying to fix it. It does, though, really need to be fixed for day one.

Kusagari

Just more proof that Microsoft is rushing Kinect to the market. This thing needs at least another year in development and it won't get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom