• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kinect only works/functions when you're standing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taker666

The Konami conference demoed Dance Masters for Kinect on stage...

...and they were kneeling down in part of that. Unless that was faked as well?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TheOddOne said:
My advice: never move a electronics device that has a disk drive while its spinning.
Portable CD and DVD players, as well as PSP seem to be capable of that just fine.

The problem with X360 might be that the disc is spinning so fast.

I have a challenge for budding 3D artists:

render out a low res z map of some guy in a weird furnature-interface situation and see if WE can work out what's going on.

The smallest bit of anti-Microsoft news really gets everybody hyped up around here. It's like some people actually want this to fail which astounds me

Don't change GAF, don't change. The use of hyperbole in this thread is really classic :lol

Vinci

Danish
TheOddOne said:
Am I the only one reading 'right now'?

Honestly, that's irrelevant at this point. Like I said earlier, there are two possibilities: (1) MS's Natal unit is full of people with their heads stuck so far up their asses that they never imagined folks would like to use the thing while sitting, or (2) Fixing this is really, really complicated for one reason or another.

LQX

Vizion28 said:
More bad news for Microsoft (if true).

There is a video showing that the 360 Slim scratches discs if tilted while playing. I don't know if this is true or not. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can shed some light on it.

Hopefully it isn't the final model.

Video found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qblBGTtMMhY
Are you kidding me? Who the hell does that? You deserve to have the disk destroyed if you tilt a system with a moving disk in it.

Lakitu

st5fu
Killdozer said:
Based on what I've seen...

It only works standing up.
Nothing between you and the camera (like a coffee table).
Must be in a well lit room

The last two are speculation but we'll see how they pan out.

... This is going to fail hard if that all turns out to be true.

MS should have swallowed their pride and canned this when their realised the limitations in the tech and the lack of application it can have to actually games.

Kusagari

I really don't have much faith in MS fixing this or at least fixing it to the point that it works well when sitting. If they haven't got something this important working yet, do we really think they will have it working hunky dory in 5 months?

Kintaco

Free when you Pre-Order Kinect at Gamestop
24ch2yq.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Killdozer said:

W.T.F
MS better get on this quick.

fernoca

TTP said:
Doesn't the Yoga thing require to sit down during some exercises? How does that work? I don't recall.
goldenpp72 said:
Clearly yoga is only a standing exercise. Duh.
Taker666 said:
The Konami conference demoed Dance Masters for Kinect on stage...

...and they were kneeling down in part of that. Unless that was faked as well?
The complain from IGN (and the thread) is people not being able to use it while sitting down in a couch, or a chair..
For yoga, you need a clean space, with nothing closer to you and you sit in the floor/mat...
To dance, even if you kneel you're still standing up..you aren't dancing in a chair.

The camera is still tracking you and you only, no chair, no couch, no tables..from the look of things it seems that it needs to track your whole body and articulations even from the more simple things (like just waving your hands)...

Still, need to wait for more reports..though.

Portugeezer

Spirit of Jazz said:
MS should have swallowed their pride and canned this when their realised the limitations in the tech and the lack of application it can have to actually games.
It actually looked good for exercise. Other things on the other hand... not so much.

Four_Chamber said:
The smallest bit of anti-Microsoft news really gets everybody hyped up around here. It's like some people actually want this to fail which astounds me

Don't change GAF, don't change. The use of hyperbole in this thread is really classic :lol

If true, there is nothing small about this. I've always like Kinect, check my post history.

MedHead

flyinpiranha said:
What console doesn't scratch disks if you decide to move the thing around while playing?
I don't understand why this is an acceptable consequence for moving the system while it is running. I can move my personal CD player and my portable DVD player without ill effects. Why are the consoles so fragile? Instead of placing a sticker on the front, Microsoft--and other console manufacturers--could fix the problem pretty easily.

Having to stand is a blessing in disguise if you ask me... wasn't the Wii mocked back in '06 once people found out that you didn't have to swing your arms like an actual tennis player? If I recall, there was some slight disappointment when people realized you could just sit on the couch and flick your wrist. As far as I'm concerned, being forced to stand is great for a product thats name is derived from the word "kinetic". When people realized you could just flick your wrist on the Wii, I remember many people remarking how you had to "force yourself" to have fun. If Kinect forces the player to stand and really engage themselves in the motions then the product is better for it, if you ask me.

Of course, that doesn't help the abysmal line-up of Kinect games at all.

Ramenman

Well, for the games, it's not that much of a problem.

But for the menus ? Now this is terrible.

And if it's just a matter of discerning your body from furniture, I understand why it would have trouble seeing where your whole body begins and ends, but wouldn't an outstretched arm (as in, reaching for the menu) top anything else in the depth map ?

Retro

Wow, I did not see this coming, this is really shocking news and quite a heavy blow... Wow. Before I comment, I really need to sit down a-

<Kinection lost>

:lol

soldat7 said:
It's pretty hilarious reading all the "OMG MS is teh suck!" when none of you were going to buy it prior to this 'rumor' anyways.
I was half tempted just so I could ditch having a remote for watching Netflix and Zune videos. I've always wanted my own personal Minority Report interface for stuff.

Although to tell you the truth I now want Tony Stark's holographic meta-surface super UI. Iron Man upped the ante on this stuff.

Lord Error said:
Portable CD and DVD players, as well as PSP seem to be capable of that just fine.

The problem with X360 might be that the disc is spinning so fast.

Uh ... those are portable, meant to be moved around. Put a BR movie into your PS3 and move it as idiotic as that kid did in the video, youtube it for us too.
MedHead said:
I don't understand why this is an acceptable consequence for moving the system while it is running. I can move my personal CD player and my portable DVD player without ill effects. Why are the consoles so fragile? Instead of placing a sticker on the front, Microsoft--and other console manufacturers--could fix the problem pretty easily.

It's because they are portable. They are meant to be moved around. Different tech for different situations.

Almost every CD based system except the PS1, Dreamcast, NGC and Sega CD(note: all top loading with the same mechanism as portable players) have had this problem. I know I lost a couple PS2 games to this. Once you get a tray/slit feeding system you don't get that usual 3 ball "click" that portable top load devices have, it's usually something that just lightly 'rests' on top of the disk while the spinner comes up from the bottom into the hole. Any jarring motion will throw it off kilter ... it's the same in PC CD/DVD drives.

pr0cs

Killdozer said:

coffee table thing makes sense.
well lit does not, considering you should be able to play in pitch darkness. it will likely depend on the type of game, the depth sensing itself probably does not matter at all on room lighting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The best way to figure out if this is worth worrying about or not is to ask MS and gauge their response.

If they say, 'that'll be fixed', then that's grand.

If they say something along the lines of 'we intend kinect to be primarily and out-of-the-couch experience', then there might be a bit more to be concerned about.

thefro

Vestal said:
Hmm.. This shouldn't be a hard problem to address. MS could just do a prescan of the play area to determine the immovable objects before hand thus being able to distinguish furniture from people.

Then you have to can the "camera follows you" feature because once the camera pans a little bit it's not a simple calculation anymore comparing the current image to the reference prescan. And someone could come in and turn on a light, etc or move something that would screw it up.

sangreal

I've been wondering about this. They sort of dodged that question in one of the Forza demos

Definitely a dealbreaker if it launches this way

Beardz

soldat7 said:
It's pretty hilarious reading all the "OMG MS is teh suck!" when none of you were going to buy it prior to this 'rumor' anyways.

So, If I want to laugh at this I have to pre-order kinect first? :|

Medalion

Banned
We've been petting Skittlez for awhile now, gotta sit down...

*sits down*

[[ WARNING: SKITTLEZ FEELS ABANDONED, AND IS AGGREVATED ]]

Boney

Banned
Oh man this isn't funny for me. This thing Microsoft is trying to sell is so out of place. It seems they have an inability to percieve a healthy enviroment.
The press conference was; We got exclusive paid DLC, biggest blockbuster games and of course the casuals. There wasn't a middle ground.

I'm really concerned about this, especially with the amount of weight Microsoft can toss around.

Alx

Spirit of Jazz said:

It's not a limitation in the tech... all the info you need is in the depth map. They only have to polish their software to extract the info. It's like having a great graphic cards, but with poor drivers.

Dante

Fwiw I just asked a dude over at Hudson where they are demoing a bunch of kinnect games, and he did say their games do not work unless you are standing.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Having to stand is a blessing in disguise if you ask me... wasn't the Wii mocked back in '06 once people found out that you didn't have to swing your arms like an actual tennis player? If I recall, there was some slight disappointment when people realized you could just sit on the couch and flick your wrist. As far as I'm concerned, being forced to stand is great for a product thats name is derived from the word "kinetic". When people realized you could just flick your wrist on the Wii, I remember many people remarking how you had to "force yourself" to have fun. If Kinect forces the player to stand and really engage themselves in the motions then the product is better for it, if you ask me.

Of course, that doesn't help the abysmal line-up of Kinect games at all.
...What if they want to watch a movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom