• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kinect only works/functions when you're standing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I think about it there was one demo they did on stage, however, it could of been "faked." The demo they had for the video calling. The girl on the other end was seated in a large chair (If I recall correctly). As she moved the camera would follow her around.

FnordChan

prof-kinect.jpg

Professor FC

fernoca

larvi said:
Yep, that's how it is set, have tried recalibrating as well and it doesn't help.
You can also try and put it below the TV..
Put the sensor bar below the set in front, or with some 3M/mounting tape...if there's some space..

Also depends on the distance and the size of your TV.
Like the time I took mine to a friend's house and he had a 4:3 TV...but was like 70+ inches..above the TV was just impossible to reach.. :lol ..putting it below/in front worked like a charm...played for 12+ hours straight. (Brawl, Wario, Wii Sports)

Mudkips

Banned
I hadn't seen any of the vids showing Kinect being used in any fashion while sitting.

Seriously.
Imagine watching a movie.
Kinect sees something move.

Are you:

Reaching for your drink
Stretching
Getting up to take a shit
Pointing your remote at the receiver to adjust the volume

Kinect has no way of knowing. Kinect trying to do something and getting it wrong would be more infuriating than Kinect demanding you speak to it ("XBAWKS, PWN NOOBS") or stand up front and center.

I guess what I'm saying is that this shouldn't have been news to anyone, but the fact that it is is hilarious.

LiquidMetal14 said:
WTF :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
People lolling at that chair seem to not know what it is.
It's an evacuation chair for handicapped people.
If someone is in a wheel chair at the top of a tall building, and there's a fire, how do they get out? (Elevators are either not running, not a good idea, or commandeered by fire crews.)

This chair allows you to transfer a seated person to an upright position quickly and safely, and carry them down the stairwell. Or depending on the stairwell, the evacuation chair, and the condition of the person, you can simply use the evacuation chair and roll them down the stairwell safely since it's wheels are designed for it.

Simpler model in use:
13ztn49.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
barkers crest said:
Well at least we know it can track your head while sitting down. See 2:35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBsTimrYTIQ

that phone call was so lame. were they trying to ape Apple?

I was even doubting if it was her twin and if it wasn't just her with a wig in a prerecorded conversation. So awkwardly scripted and acted. Who the hell thought that was gonna be a good idea?

As for these camera based technologies, people seem to forget there's a hell of a lot to be said for tactile feedback. Driving game with no controller? Are you nuts? Feeling the rumble, the tension of the wheel or brakes (or equivalent interpretations) are part of the thrill and skill.

As for sitting down and the camera confusing your legs with the couch - well.... why would it need your legs? Even if it thought you were a really big blob, surely it should still track your hand?

Not that you would want to use your hand of course. Using digital controllers are a hell of a lot more precise and efficient and involve less effort. Hell using the 360 controller to pause is less effort than a regular DVD/TV remote cos I don't need to point at anything.

Voice control? :lol when a friend comes into the room and talks to me, I don't interrupt them to say "xbox pause" I just press a button.

These things are nice gimmicks and tech demos but I can't see them being much real use.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Wait what? They better fix that if they ever want me to buy that

Wii and Move I play lying down.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Graphics Horse said:
The original Natal promo showed someone sitting down while driving come to think of it.

Right. But it could have been faked.

This cant be right though, there is no way they can limit it like this.

Man

Darklord said:
Umm, this is actually pretty big. Driving games are fucked. When have you ever stood while driving? Watching movies is pointless with this. Wheelchair bound folk can't use it. The whole point of consoles, the number 1 argument for them is "comfy couch". Oops, can't sit on that couch anymore.
This is incredible. Microsoft has been working on this since I assume, at least fall 2008?
If people can't friggin sit down in a couch today four months from launch... Alarms should have gone off a year ago in the minimum.

Vizion28 said:
More bad news for Microsoft (if true).

There is a video showing that the 360 Slim scratches discs if tilted while playing. I don't know if this is true or not. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can shed some light on it.

Hopefully it isn't the final model.

Video found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qblBGTtMMhY

Lord Error said:
Portable CD and DVD players, as well as PSP seem to be capable of that just fine.

The problem with X360 might be that the disc is spinning so fast.

Mama Robotnik said:
So was my trusty old Gamecube.

Come on guys. Portable DVD and CD players and PSP and GameCube all has the disc fastened to the hardware in some fashion. The two former and the gamecube has the disc pushed down onto a spinning device for example.

Any console or computer or dvd player or blu ray player or cd player with a trey will scratch the disc like hell if you move it during disc reading. Its just that simple.

DO NOT MOVE THE FUCKING CONSOLE YOU DUMBASS!

Alx

Scalemail Ted said:
Now that I think about it there was one demo they did on stage, however, it could of been "faked." The demo they had for the video calling. The girl on the other end was seated in a large chair (If I recall correctly). As she moved the camera would follow her around.

That's not really related to the body tracking, all motorized cameras can do that (there is at least a Logitech one, that's been on the market for some time), since they can detect faces. All they have to do is move to keep the detected face in the center of the image.

Spriig said:
Then you get off your ass and pick up a remote like every other human on the planet does.
You're missing the point. With the Wii you can play music, watch slideshows, PS3? Bluetooth anything will work. 360? Controller and media controllers. Now with Natal...Kinect being pushed as "the" controller for Xbox's future, you'd expect it to work sitting down. What, are they going to bundle Xbox 3 with remote controllers as well?

The more this thread goes on the less believable this sounds.

fernoca

Scalemail Ted said:
Yeah..it was still a weird demo..
Her sister seems to not have a clue of what the hell was going on, and yet she was sitting in front of an Xbox 360 with Kinect with her sister touching and making all the choices which was more weird, why the sister at E3 wasn't the one that demoed the whole camera tracking thing (unless I just forgot about it).....and then, they quickly talked about how that chat-service was also going to work with Live Messenger..

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Everyone who quoted me

ahh I can see why the menu manipulation would be an issue.

I must be the only one who doesn't care for that lol.

I'm most interested for the games, I expected I would have to stand up for it.

Zombie James said:
Do you really want to play a racing game standing up?

hell nah but I'll keep my racing for GT ;)

Also alot of things can change in 5 months.

Check it works with black people now! Didn't you guys see the conference?!?!
:D

Medalion

Banned
JSnake said:
So what about people like me who have respiratory problems and can't stand up for very long?
It'll be like the Wii, which lets you know how long you've been playing for and recommends you take a break :lol

FnordChan said:
prof-kinect.jpg

Professor FC

:lol

Anyway, that shouldn't be too hard to fix, just ignore all the skeletal data below the waist. In fact, this sounds so strange (and it's IGN we're talking about) that I'll wait for an official confirmation. "We've been told"... By whom?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
larvi said:
I have the same issue with my wii now, maybe it's because I have a 4:3 TV and the sensor bar is that the top but I have to either stand up or lift my arm really high to get the pointer to move and it's pretty annoying but at least I can still navigate the menus with the dpad.

Personally I see this akin to the new IVR phone systems that make you speak your choice rather than selecting if from a menu. What in the hell was so hard about pusing a number on the keypad before? Now I have to repeat my choice a half a dozen times until the stupid system finally figures out what I need.

When this happens to me it is always because the edge of the TV is obscuring the LEDs on the sensor bar - top of TV is curved and the thing tends to slide backwards (and point upwards too). Sitting the sensor bar on two blobs of blutack and lining it just a touch proud of the TV screen surround fixed it permanently.

sangreal

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Anyway, that shouldn't be too hard to fix, just ignore all the skeletal data below the waist. In fact, this sounds so strange (and it's IGN we're talking about) that I'll wait for an official confirmation. "We've been told"... By whom?

With the exception of Forza would any of the games they've shown even work seated? Maybe Kinectimals...

FoxHimself said:
Come on guys. Portable DVD and CD players and PSP and GameCube all has the disc fastened to the hardware in some fashion. The two former and the gamecube has the disc pushed down onto a spinning device for example.

Any console or computer or dvd player or blu ray player or cd player with a trey will scratch the disc like hell if you move it during disc reading. Its just that simple.

DO NOT MOVE THE FUCKING CONSOLE YOU DUMBASS!
PS2's, GC's and PS3's do it just fine too. Oh, and Xbox 1.

regular PC DVD drives, regular laptop pc drives... do it just fine, and hell; people have managed to repair their X360's who did that by polishing up some darned part... Microsoft could and should have solved this by now.

And the issue is not just "moving it" most consoles take a fall somewhere along their lives while playing a game, either pushed by the cables, a dog passing by... whatever. and when that happens not only do you want your console to endure it, you also want your darn game to do so.

Vizion28

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
The original Natal promo showed someone sitting down while driving come to think of it.

Didn't the original Natal promo also show Natal scan a boy's skateboard and then using it for a game? Is that really possible?

Vinci

Danish
Man said:
This is incredible. Microsoft has been working on this since I assume, at least fall 2008?
If people can't friggin sit down in a couch today four months from launch... Alarms should have gone off a year ago in the minimum.

Really, this is the issue. People saying, "This will be fixed," or trying to undercut this issue are missing the point: This should have been fixed long, long ago. Not now, not soon, not later.

AndyD said:
Right. But it could have been faked.

This cant be right though, there is no way they can limit it like this.

Oh the original promo was faked, they admitted as much themselves, that's fine. I was just pointing out they'd been advertising it since the beginning.

Vizion28 said:
Didn't the original Natal promo also show Natal scan a boy's skateboard and then using it for a game? Is that really possible?

Yeah it should be... as a flat image at least. there's a few games which scan in images or faces already. I think someone pointed out it scanned the part which was covered by his hand, which wouldn't work obviously.

God. I'm sorry. I don't want to sound trollish, because honestly I was never on board with Kinect. But holy shit, they better fix this or they're going to lose a whole lot of potential sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom