• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kinect only works/functions when you're standing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

larvi

I have the same issue with my wii now, maybe it's because I have a 4:3 TV and the sensor bar is that the top but I have to either stand up or lift my arm really high to get the pointer to move and it's pretty annoying but at least I can still navigate the menus with the dpad.

Personally I see this akin to the new IVR phone systems that make you speak your choice rather than selecting if from a menu. What in the hell was so hard about pusing a number on the keypad before? Now I have to repeat my choice a half a dozen times until the stupid system finally figures out what I need.

eznark

Banned
What an awful, awful idea. If they haven't figured that our by now.....my god.

No wonder they only showed mini game collections.

rpmurphy

Animal said:
Try using your kinect when you want to play music, movies or pictures on your big screen tv and there are lots of people over.

Forget using it when you're throwing a party. "Everyone stay the fuck out of my area!" :lol
I already foresee GAF being assholes at these parties, inserting "Xbox <command>" into their conversations. :lol

thefro said:
Then you have to can the "camera follows you" feature because once the camera pans a little bit it's not a simple calculation anymore comparing the current image to the reference prescan. And someone could come in and turn on a light, etc or move something that would screw it up.

Camera compensation is simple enough, you know exactly how, when and where your camera rotates, so can factor in any distortion, no problems there. Lighting shouldn't be an issue either, but don't quote me on that.

Opiate

Vizion28 said:
More bad news for Microsoft (if true).

There is a video showing that the 360 Slim scratches discs if tilted while playing. I don't know if this is true or not. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can shed some light on it.

Hopefully it isn't the final model.

Video found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qblBGTtMMhY

After further research, this same poster discovered that the Xbox 360 Slim will break if struck by even a moderately sized hammer.

The system would probably break in half if you used a professional grade one. What shoddy design.

I'm just having fun, by the way, Vizion: others have pointed out the problems with the logic here. I can understand why it might convince you at first blanch, though.

Zoink

I dont see the problem. Everyone has one of these right?

standingchair.gif

larvi said:
I have the same issue with my wii now, maybe it's because I have a 4:3 TV and the sensor bar is that the top but I have to either stand up or lift my arm really high to get the pointer to move and it's pretty annoying but at least I can still navigate the menus with the dpad.

Personally I see this akin to the new IVR phone systems that make you speak your choice rather than selecting if from a menu. What in the hell was so hard about pusing a number on the keypad before? Now I have to repeat my choice a half a dozen times until the stupid system finally figures out what I need.

Did you go into the Wii system menu and change the sensor bar position to above the TV? Cause it will do that if the Wii is set to below the TV.

Alx

thefro said:
Then you have to can the "camera follows you" feature because once the camera pans a little bit it's not a simple calculation anymore comparing the current image to the reference prescan. And someone could come in and turn on a light, etc or move something that would screw it up.

Learning the background and updating it to take into account environment changes is a very standard operation in image processing (and it should be even easier to do with 3D images). That's really not a problem.

Killdozer said:
Based on what I've seen...

It only works standing up.
Nothing between you and the camera (like a coffee table).
Must be in a well lit room

The last two are speculation but we'll see how they pan out.

To be honest, this is really, really bad news. I was actually using this E3 to shop. Microsofts conference was so bad that I was already sold on Move after that Sorcery demo .

They really need to delay this thing, if it flops super hard its just bad news.

BikoBiko

Well that certainly wasn't expected. Time to fine-tune it these last few months I guess. Otherwise Kinect is pretty much fucked.

larvi

Shalashaska161 said:
Did you go into the Wii system menu and change the sensor bar position to above the TV? Cause it will do that if the Wii is set to below the TV.

Yep, that's how it is set, have tried recalibrating as well and it doesn't help.

Darklord

Banned
Four_Chamber said:
The smallest bit of anti-Microsoft news really gets everybody hyped up around here. It's like some people actually want this to fail which astounds me

Don't change GAF, don't change. The use of hyperbole in this thread is really classic :lol

Umm, this is actually pretty big. Driving games are fucked. When have you ever stood while driving? Watching movies is pointless with this. Wheelchair bound folk can't use it. The whole point of consoles, the number 1 argument for them is "comfy couch". Oops, can't sit on that couch anymore.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Someone needs to photoshop the back of a 360 box for Asian only and sitting down compatibility with a cancel mark through it.

g35twinturbo said:
I guess people don't use their legs anymore :(

people should really be more active :(

Well, I'm not complaining about playing games standing. It's the other features, like watching movies or navigating the menus that is the problem.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
g35twinturbo said:

I don't think that is the issue as much as people have a problem with them showing promotional videos of Kinect doing stuff it can't do. I still had some hope that it could be integrated into more hardcore games as a supplement to the controller(with things like head tracking), but if you have to stand up every time to use it, it just seems pointless.

g35twinturbo said:

Microsoft needs to advertise this as both CONTROLLER-FREE and CHAIR-FREE gaming!
"We have freed you from the shackles of your chair!"

pr0cs

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Of course, that doesn't help the abysmal line-up of Kinect games at all.
That's the crux though, forcing people to stand will permanently limit the types of games you can create and play.

They will HAVE to fix the standing thing before release or the product is doomed (even though I think it's already stillborne at the rumored pricepoint).

Vinci

Danish
Bel Marduk said:
Try putting the sensor bar on the bottom instead.

Also, make sure there aren't any strong light sources in the room. It might be getting interference. That, or it's just a faulty Wiimote.

This motion control technology doesn't seem too versatile. Why couldn't Microsoft just take the easy route like Sony and copy Nintendo's controller?

Medalion

Banned
To be fair... Wii's motion controls have been promoting this for awhile, the point of playing Wii is to stand, but you CAN sit down and it works just the same...Kinect...is doing it wrong.

Massa

Darklord said:
Umm, this is actually pretty big. Driving games are fucked. When have you ever stood while driving? Watching movies is pointless with this. Wheelchair bound folk can't use it. The whole point of consoles, the number 1 argument for them is "comfy couch". Oops, can't sit on that couch anymore.

If Microsoft doesn't care about comfy couch anymore I guess Alan Wake is coming to PC?

sangreal

richisawesome said:
I think you missed the point of that gif. It's not real time. He's acting along to a pre-recorded video.

Did you watch the video he linked? Its the same demo but they let the press play. The idea that these developers and executives that can't even give a decent speech are capable of faking a demo on stage is laughable anyway.

Also, the video does show someone interacting from a crouch but as I mentioned above they wouldn't let the guy play sitting down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom