• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kinect only works/functions when you're standing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
$149 dollars to....

Stand in line at Best Buy....
Stand up while connecting the Kinect...
Stand up while playing....
:lol :lol

Swifty

At least all the heavy lifting done by Kinect is through software. To fix it, they'll just have to release a patch or make sure the firmware supports a sitting player when they finalize for release. No need to revise the hardware.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
goldenpp72 said:
You'd have to be an idiot to think this will be the case at launch, seriously.

If it was, microsoft would be laughed out of the market.
Why? They have never shown any video or promotional material of people sitting down and playing, right?

You'd have to be an idiot to assume it can do something we've never seen before? This forza demo is the only time I've ever seen anyone doing anything other than standing.

edit: I think they showed one guy sittiing down and fastforwarding?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
goldenpp72 said:

If it was, microsoft would be laughed out of the market.
Given that they're five months from launch, this is one thing that you would think, you know, wouldn't even be an issue at this point. :\

ShogunX

Not only did Kinect look like complete and utter shit in the conference, you cant even use it sitting down? What is this crap Microsoft?

Nintendo have Kinect's main audience on complete lockdown. Utterly pointless.

belvedere said:
Even the original EyeToy worked sitting down.

:lol

Its totally different technology so can't really take much from that, even then I don't have much floor space in my bedroom so probably couldn't use Kinect anyway.

aztrex said:
Won't be soon before MadCatz releases a 'Gamer Jumper,' in the same tradition as those jumpers mothers install in doorways to keep their kids entertained! 'Play Kinect the way you always hoped you could! It's has the comfort of your couch, but without that pesky lack of skeletal recognition!'
Or these:

2500-xbox-shoes-20090512034131867-0.jpg

Vinci

Danish
goldenpp72 said:

This is E3. They announced this thing a while ago. If they haven't, at any point in time during this thing's development, thought that, "Hey, people might want to use this while sitting down," then they are so clueless it's beyond rationalizing.

If they knew this was an issue, and it's something they've been trying to fix but couldn't... that's worse.

chubigans said:
Given that they're five months from launch, this is one thing that you would think, you know, wouldn't even be an issue at this point. :\
I think this is the key point. No f'ing way they didn't test it sitting down. Wtf.
Vinci said:
This is E3. They announced this thing a while ago. If they haven't, at any point in time during this thing's development, thought that, "Hey, people might want to use this while sitting down," then they are so clueless it's beyond rationalizing.

If they knew this was an issue, and it's something they've been trying to fix but couldn't... that's worse.
Exactly.

Feathers

Pfft, I play all my games standing up. On one leg. Because I'm an adonis like that. Save sitting down to the hardcore nerds.

spwolf

i wonder how many people will get fired over this cluster fuck. From the name, to the circus thing and then staged demos... All the media is hating on this thing now, how the heck do you turn them around?

Rich!

Y2Kev said:
Why? They have never shown any video or promotional material of people sitting down and playing, right?

Wrong.

In the family promo video, they're all sitting down watching a movie. The film playback is operated through kinect. IGN states that this simply doesnt work unless you're standing up.

Y2Kev said:

You'd have to be an idiot to assume it can do something we've never seen before? This forza demo is the only time I've ever seen anyone doing anything other than standing.

Nah they have, it was a very similar looking video to PrimeSense's own promo, can't remember where I saw it, I'll have a look.
Edit: What Hausu cat said.

Andvary

Speevy said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

OH MY GOD this is horrible. How did they miss this?

Because of the rumored price and limitations it looks like Natal wasn't ready and it's just a reaction to the Move.

thefro

Considering everyone's couch could be shaped or colored differently (and you have recliners, various folding chairs, beanbags, etc), with different arms, etc it's not an easy AI problem to solve.

Fixing it for one type of chair isn't going to fix it for another.

What you need is some sort of heat sensor or something to help pick out the person from the couch.

goldenpp72

Y2Kev said:

Because if kinect is being designed to be used as a menu navigation system, you have to think if i'm going to boot up halo reach and want to hit the icon to start it that microsoft would make it so I had to STAND so it can recognize my hand?

Isn't that the whole point of the camera being able to move itself to detect where you are? I'm sure it can track the upper part of the body if the game or application calls for it.

Now I think the kinect showing was all around crap, but come on, i'm sure the thing will at least function correctly, it may just not offer anything of value.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
richisawesome said:
Wrong.

In the family promo video, they're all sitting down watching a movie. The film playback is operated through kinect. IGN states that this simply doesnt work unless you're standing up.
Okay, you're right.

Honestly I just never thought about it. I thought the point of everything Kinect was to be up and moving. I kind of never even considered it possible to sit down and play.

MiriamV

Neo Member
aztrex said:
Won't be soon before MadCatz releases a 'Gamer Jumper,' in the same tradition as those jumpers mothers install in doorways to keep their kids entertained! 'Play Kinect the way you always hoped you could! It's has the comfort of your couch, but without that pesky lack of skeletal recognition!'

Like this?
Baby jumper on Amazon

hehe, I can see that happening :D

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
meh, it seems that kinect is pretty much universally scoffed at already. I never had high hopes for it from any kind of demographic viewpoint.

skyfinch

Man said:
You misunderstand the problem here. That's not the same as sitting and being a part of sofa mesh. You are on your feet still and with open space around you.

In that demo, a guy holding a camera was able to navigate. And in the the Ubisoft fit demo, the lady had her jacket on, took it off and Kinect was able to track it. So Kinect does seem capable of distinguishing objects in relation to the body.

I sure in the end, it's a matter of standing, allowing Kinect to calibrate your body, then you're free to sit down or whatever.

mj1108

Feathers said:
Pfft, I play all my games standing up. On one leg. Because I'm an adonis like that. Save sitting down to the hardcore nerds.

I play all of mine standing on my hands....which might confuse the fuck out of it. :lol

Rorschach

:lol So much for "easier to use for movies and music than using a remote." I have a remote so I don't have to stand up!

Also, comfy couch defense force is now dead! I welcome our new PC overlords!

aztrex said:
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom