• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5: Online mode detailed

Since this is one of the biggest aspects of the game I decided to make a new thread with all the info from it. Here's everything I found reading the official website and all E3 interviews.

image03a.jpg
image04a.jpg
image05a.jpg

- 32 player lobbies
- 16 player races
- Private lobbies
- Text and Voice chat
- Spectator mode: Where you can spectator players in real time like you were watching a replay.
- Ability to host "Track Days"/My Lounge lobby. No lap limit, enter and leave as you wish, switch between racing and spectating freely, and it has it's own chat room.
- Every player gets their own "Profile page", that can be visited by friends, that contains all your info. Car list, licenses, times, etc...
- A Bulletin Board System

I dunno about you, but this is probably the best thing that came out of this E3. It's everything I wanted the online to be. Can't wait for the GAF Track days ^^

Here are some WIP screens of the Lobby system:

If I missed anything please let me know, I'll add it to the OP.

Ploid 3.0

Can't wait to play GT with GAF again. You guys kick the crap out of me but it's still fun. Gaf events will make me strive to get better like SF4 chat and stuff.

Added sceenshots of the lobby we saw during the GT Academy competition. It'll probably be an improved version of that.

WrikaWrek said:
Can't wait for the day to come and own your ass at this game murphy.

Nov 2. I'll let you choose the track ;)

Kittonwy

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Since this is one of the biggest aspects of the game I decided to make a new thread with all the info from it. Here's everything I found reading the official website and all E3 interviews.

image03a.jpg
image04a.jpg
image05a.jpg

- 32 player lobbies
- 16 player races
- Text and Voice chat
- Spectator mode: Where you can spectator players in real time like you were watching a replay.
- Ability to host "Track Days"/My Lounge lobby. No lap limit, enter and leave as you wish, switch between racing and spectating freely, and it has it's own chat room.
- Every player gets their own "Profile page", that can be visited by friends, that contains all your info. Car list, licenses, times, etc...
- A BBS system

I dunno about you, but this is probably the best thing that came out of this E3. It's everything I wanted the online to be. Can't wait for the GAF Track days ^^

Here are some WIP screens of the Lobby system:

If I missed anything please let me know, I'll add it to the OP.

Sounds pretty good.

On the other hand... quick find sumthin' negative so we can all panick then start some outrage.
Indifferent2.gif

-viper- said:
Too bad nobody will actually pay attention to this thread :p

Yeah... I probably chose a bad time to post this >.<

Still, anyone that actually cares will have a look. I know there are people like me eager to have some GAF leagues going.

Kittonwy said:
Sounds pretty good.

On the other hand... quick find sumthin' negative so we can all panick then start some outrage.
Indifferent2.gif

Kyoufu said:
Can't wait for 16 players saying over voice chat saying: "Why the fuck can't I go into cockpit-view?"

Well that was fast. :lol

*edit*
Added private lobbies to the list. Forgot about that one.

spwolf

Is this first Japanese dev with well done online support? This was probably what i feared the most, GT5P online was very basic.

Track Days with GAF are kind of obvious.

Nice feature set, but it would be great if PD, would adopt an old concept from visual concepts the Virtual Identity Profile(V.I.P.) so when you go online and race people you can see their tendicies i.e. how often he barrels into players on turns....how he brakes on turns.... how he handles the apex or chicane ect... I would love to have a profile on racers while online. I think all racing games are missing this one important tool.

gluv65 said:
Nice feature set, but it would be great if PD, would adopt an old concept from visual concepts the Virtual Identity Profile(V.I.P.) so when you go online and race people you can see their tendicies i.e. how often he barrels into players on turns....how he brakes on turns.... how he handles the apex or chicane ect... I would love to have a profile on racers while online. I think all racing games are missing this one important tool.

That sounds... complicated. Don't even know how the game would save "how you would handle chicanes". We'll, your Profile Page will most likely have your replays for everyone to watch.

Metalmurphy said:
That sounds... complicated. Don't even know how the game would save "how you would handle chicanes". We'll, your Profile Page will most likely have your replays for everyone to watch.

It may sound complicated, but it just filters from what I undertstand. In football games they use tendencies. How many times you run or pass Left, Middle, Right and a whole host of other tendencies. You just have to define tendencies the same as you fine the line on a track.

Thank you PD. At least I'm no longer stuck with a grid of Audi S5's and other fuckin AWD cars >:|

Track days is gonna be so much fun :lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
nice. i hope they also give us a robust opponent selection/filtering system. jiggling lag across 16 players could be a problem otherwise.

Yoboman

blu said:
nice. i hope they also give us a robust opponent selection/filtering system. jiggling lag across 16 players could be a problem otherwise.
Well I'd assume if car clubs make it in you could hopefully play within that circle

MrPliskin

Banned
user_nat said:
What does 32 player lobbies mean? 16 players + 16 spectators?

It means 32 people can get together in a lobby and voice chat / text chat, and set up races. You could, in theory, have 16 1v1 races set up.

What will be important to me is if these are persistent lobbies. For example, when I finish my race, do I go back to the same lobby? Can people see the status?

It would be awesome if, while in this lobby, I could see who was in what race, what place they were in, and what lap they were on. Extremely awesome.

KillerAJD

MrPliskin said:
It means 32 people can get together in a lobby and voice chat / text chat, and set up races. You could, in theory, have 16 1v1 races set up.

What will be important to me is if these are persistent lobbies. For example, when I finish my race, do I go back to the same lobby? Can people see the status?

It would be awesome if, while in this lobby, I could see who was in what race, what place they were in, and what lap they were on. Extremely awesome.
Well, wouldn't that be how the race day thing works? You just have an open lobby (or a private lobby), have a bunch of people hop in, race the track, spectate the track, etc. I'd love to be able to set it up where you could restrict people going onto a track, so, on Nurburgring, a person goes out, 15 seconds later, another goes out, etc. etc., and then you can just watch a bunch of people drive the track.

Animator

I just heard that voice chat only works if you are playing with move controller and the 16 player races are only with standart cars using ps2 textures!

*waits for some trolls to run with it.

Man

Gran Turismo 5 to become the most played PS3 online game is not unlikely.

Polyphony Digital even set up a new studio across their street that exclusively deal with the online mode.

J-Rzez

darkwing said:
what are track days?

As the description says basically. You can set up "meets" and events like time trials and such is what I gather from what they're saying here along with what they said in prior.

I wonder if they're still going to do their sponsored event days where you compete for prizes like they were talking about from a while back.

This thing is the complete package from just what we know right now. If you love cars, you'll love this game.

Top Bottom