• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Show on WFMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric WK

The Best Show on WFMU
Every Tuesday - 9pm - 12am
WFMU.org

BestShow.gif

What is The Best Show?

In short, three hours of mirth, music and mayhem.

In not so short, The Best Show is a weekly radio show on WFMU, a freeform radio station broadcasting from Jersey City, NJ. It's hosted by Mr. Tom Scharpling.

Alright. So who is Tom Scharpling?

Tom is a comedian and television writer. He's 57 41. He's a fairly accomplished guy, and what better than WikiPedia to tell you about that: Tom's Wiki.

What is The Best Show about? What can I expect?

Well, this is where it gets tough. It's not entirely easy to describe and upon first listen it might not "click" with you. But once you get to know the show's rhythms and become familiar with Tom as a host, you realize that this is one of the greatest pieces of culture in America today.

A quick and dirty explanation is that The Best Show is a comedy show. Much of the show sees Tom taking calls from folks both regular and random and from a very diverse cross section of humanity. For example, two regular callers couldn't be more diametric opposites - the charming and intelligent 10 year old from Minnesota, Milo and the undescribably odd and creepy, Larry the Perv. There's more than a few callers you can expect to hear on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and getting to know them is one of The Best Show's greatest pleasures.

There's also another sort of caller and we're treated to these once every few weeks or so. These calls or drop in visits come from a variety of unbelievable characters. From the two-inch racist, Timmy von Trimble to "Philly Boy Roy" Zeigler, these characters emanate from the mind and body of Tom's partner in hilarity, Superchunk drummer Jon Wurster. If you read that WikiPedia link above, you know that the duo have released five very well received albums featuring this material. These calls and appearances never fail to amaze.

The Best Show also has a ton of celebrity fans, many of whom appear on the show fairly frequently. Notable guests include comedians Paul F. Tompkins, Patton Oswalt, John Hodgman, Tim Heidecker, Eric Wareheim and Jen Kirkman, among many others; musicians such as Ted Leo, Andrew WK, Aimee Mann and Damian Abraham of Fucked Up. There's a larger list of Best Show guests on WikiPedia here.

Okay, I'm sold, how do I listen?

The Best Show airs every Tuesday night in its current time slot of 9 pm to Midnight. If you're fortunate enough to live in the areas of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania that receive WFMU broadcasts, you can listen right on that radio thingie you might remember from when you were a kid - 91.1 FM from Jersey City or 90.1 FM out of Mount Hope, NY. If you don't, WFMU offers a plethora of live audio streaming options on WFMU.org.

But wait, there's more! WFMU maintains an archived catalog of Best Show episodes dating back to 2000 (Archives) and new episodes are available in podcast format. Due to licensing issues, music from the show is removed for the podcast.

Best Show Gems

The Best Show Gems is essentially a "greatest hits" of calls and moments from the past ten years and an amazing way to acclimate yourself with the The Best Show. You'll hear classic Scharpling and Wurster skits, hilarious phone-ins and more, all of which are very indicative of what the show is like week to week, without having to listen to a three hour episode of something you haven't heard before. These are released every two weeks and should probably be the first step in your Best Show listening career.

Resources
WFMU.org
The Best Show Archives
The Best Show on iTunes
The Best Show Gems on iTunes
Friends of Tom
Friends of Tom Forums

---

I don't expect a ton of discussion in this thread at first as I'm not sure just how many current listeners there are on GAF, outside of BenjaminBirdie (whose debt I will forever be in for introducing me to The Best Show, by the way). But hopefully this motivates you to go back and listen to some recent archives, check out The Best Show Gems or begin listening live. The Best Show has become one of my favorite and most cherished pieces of entertainment and although it's already very popular, it deserves a hell of a lot more recognition.

Foob

dude i listen to this show every fucking week! fucking best radio show in the goddamn world

i've referenced phillie boy roy and the fresh ass comedy tent way too many times..

YES!!!!

HERE'S TO TEN MINUTES AND TWENTY-ONE SECONDS OF "SUCKS"!!!!

"Everyone lighting a MATCH at a ROCK concert su --....this pollen...why are your windows open? The pollen is just SHOOTING through. I think it's very rude to have a radio station with the windows open. You never catch me having my windows open, at my recording studio. Tang sucks..."

Wow this thread was just created? Coincidence! I was about to bump an old The Best Show thread, to say that...

..this past week's episode of The Best Show was TOP SHELF! Really one of the better ones in recent months.

After a week away, Tom was on fire! First some regulars (Spike, Dave from Knoxville, Mylo), then some ranting, then the bit with John Wurster. Now, that bit started a bit slow (either they were zoning out, or they were doin other things while being on the radio) but then it turned epic (with the laundry list of '... sucks' songtitles).

It's like jazz, man. Never know where it's gonna go. Performance art, almost.

(July from Cincinatti's call on the Mike & Therese's 'Depravity's Rainbow' show was sad. That girl...)

Been listening for about 6 years, and I've gone through all the archives that I missed. Good stuff.

I love Tom's overdubs of movies - Roadhouse and Mr. Brooks. Priceless.

If you're into WFMU at all you should check out Night People which is great in a different way. Tom calls in occasionally and Dave from Knoxville is a regular.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I started listening to The Best Show this year. Sometimes the 3 hours can drag, but the quality of guests on the show is INSANE (The John Hodgman/John Oliver show from a couple of weeks ago almost made me crash my car because I was laughing so much.)

Foob

my favorite episode in recent memory is when fredericks got free reign of the show for a bit and he told his weird raccoon story

or milo's d&d story

border

I honestly don't get why people enjoy the Milo/Mylo calls at all. I hate listening to Tom patronize kids, and I hate mush-mouthed kids without much to say. Hearing about the magic panther and non-lethal combat in D&D was pretty cool, but beyond that all his other calls are so grating. I was not really around for the "Petey" era, but that was another regular whose appeal was just beyond me.

I've been listening for at least 2-3 years now, but have never had the time to go back to listen to all the archives......it seems like they used to have less guests and more phone callers, which is not such a good thing in my estimation. The OP is great but should probably emphasize the Best Show Gems podcast a little harder, since it seems like the only approachable way to get into the show's history without a huge time investment, and the Gems podcast cuts through a lot of the fluff. I'd never heard H. Jon Benjamin on the show before, but I love the call he made about Smirnoff Ice.

border said:
I honestly don't get why people enjoy the Milo/Mylo calls at all. I hate listening to Tom patronize kids, and I hate mush-mouthed kids without much to say. Hearing about the magic panther and non-lethal combat in D&D was pretty cool, but beyond that all his other calls are so grating. I was not really around for the "Petey" era, but that was another regular whose appeal was just beyond me.

I don't know, I love the moment in every new kid call when he's like "And do the kids beat you up because of that? Pick on you?"

Eric WK said:
Man, I'm losing sleep over this ban of Mr. Pervison. What was Tom thinking?

Laying down the fiyah. I kind of agree with him. The klatch of Spike and Larry really drag the show down. The only fun is hearing Tom cut them off, and there's no better way to cut them off than to forbid them from showing up for a good five months.

:D

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
Laying down the fiyah. I kind of agree with him. The klatch of Spike and Larry really drag the show down. The only fun is hearing Tom cut them off, and there's no better way to cut them off than to forbid them from showing up for a good five months.

:D

I think Spike is far, far worse than Larry. At least Larry is entertaining half the time and he's responsible for one of my favorite Best Show moments, the radio date with Laurie from Miami. I understand Tom's rationale, I just don't understand why Spike got an option and Larry didn't. Or maybe I'm just confused and Spike's banned too, but iirc Spike just got threatened with a ban.

Eric WK said:
I think Spike is far, far worse than Larry. At least Larry is entertaining half the time and he's responsible for one of my favorite Best Show moments, the radio date with Laurie from Miami. I understand Tom's rationale, I just don't understand why Spike got an option and Larry didn't. Or maybe I'm just confused and Spike's banned too, but iirc Spike just got threatened with a ban.

I don't know, I've never been crazy about LDP. It always struck me as someone with a character trying to hijack the show for the character's benefit, and Tom's response, to me, is perfectly valid.

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't know, I've never been crazy about LDP. It always struck me as someone with a character trying to hijack the show for the character's benefit, and Tom's response, to me, is perfectly valid.

Well when you put it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom