• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Preorders Open For $150 On Multiple Sites

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
DMeisterJ said:
Old news?
A few days ago people were arguing that the Walmart price was a leak released by Microsoft in order to surprise us with a cheap price later on.

So old news to people that weren't totally deluding themselves.

With all these sites pricing it as such, you can now take it as official.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Welcome to the future: Where flailing your limbs around and not being able to sit costs you $149.99.

beast786

Still no confirmation. Still cant believe it. NO way MS is targeting casual gamers with that price tag and competing with Wii.

Geeze.
It really doesn't matter how much of a "bargain" it is compared to say, 4 Wiimotes+Nunchucks ($240)...
The thing costs as much as their Arcade unit.
And they expect people to buy it for a few games that are basically the same experience that is already available on a console that costs just a bit more?

I do wonder why Microsoft isn't announcing the price.

A low price would build hype. A high price would have to be hidden until when it can do the least damage.

Or maybe they just genuinely don't know.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It'll sell fine this Christmas. Will definitely outsell Move 2:1 or more this year.

I think in two years we'll still be using Move and Kinect will be largely forgotten. But, who knows.

beast786

AceBandage said:
Geeze.
It really doesn't matter how much of a "bargain" it is compared to say, 4 Wiimotes+Nunchucks ($240)...
And they expect people to buy it for a few games that are basically the same experience that is already available on a console that costs just a bit more?

Bad example.

It only does 2 player.

I have a question. Everyone is saying MS might be using the same strategy as Apple did with the ipad leaks, but did stores actually list the leaked price? Just want some perspective here.

soldat7

25gqil2.gif

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
Geeze.
Why would you buy 4 Wiimotes+nunchucks? You get 1 Wiimote and nunchuck in the box.

feel

No games packed in?? I would probably buy it at that price if it included kinect sports and adventures. By itself = no thanks, I'll wait until some actual great stuff comes out in the future, if that ever happens.

DMeisterJ said:
I think I need to sit down.
You will need to wait for games that are made to being played sitting down, out of luck at launch.
jjqj3k.jpg

Krev said:
Why would you buy 4 Wiimotes+nunchucks? You get 1 Wiimote and nunchuck in the box.

I was trying to be fair to Kinect, honestly.
I realize it only supports 2 players and all, but this is basically how MS are going to try and rationalize it.

-PXG-

AceBandage said:
Geeze.

Can't be said enough.

Sydle

I'll have to wait until I demo it myself to be sure, but after all of the positive impressions I'm just about committed to give MS $150 for Kinect.

Krev said:
With all these sites pricing it as such, you can now take it as official.
It's hardly official. Microsoft have said that store prices are speculation for weeks now. Just yesterday the official Kinect Facebook page said "Official Kinect Price coming soon, text Kinect to 30360 to be the first to know when the price is announced". I'm not saying it won't be $149.99, but if it is it seems silly to delay any official announcement if they're just going to say "Yeah, those stores were right all along". Wouldn't surprise me though.

There is one (and only) one scenario I can think of where a $149 pricepoint makes sense.
If Microsoft rolls out a combination Kinect-X360 S Arcade SKU for $249 alongside it.

Make it so existing console owners feel compelled to rebuy their consoles for the value add of the new form factor, onboard Wi-Fi, larger HDD & Kinect instead of buying the standalone Kinect accessory on its own. Meanwhile the system still falls into the sweet spot of the Wii's 2006 price point for new casual owners who get swept up by the controller-free gaming hype.

The whole point of Kinect isn't to satisfy the existing base anyway. They have Halo Reach, Gears of War 3, Fable III and Call of Duty: Black Ops maps to keep themselves entertained. It's to bring in a new audience. So it really doesn't matter whether the standalone accessory is $149, 199 or 249 on launch day... so long as there's an affordable system-Kinect-game combo SKU available for prospective new X360 owners.

And we don't have any idea what a price point for that will be as of yet.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
After quietly pulling the price from their store last month, the $149.99 price was relisted on Microsoft Store within the past hour.

They included this picture though:
en-US151_Xbox360_Kinect_Sensor_ZZN-00001_spec_mssg.png

But why would Microsoft tell this price to retailers and list it on their online store if it wasn't what it's going to sell for?

Firestorm

Krev said:
More like why would you buy 4 WiiMotes + Nunchuks your friends can bring their own goddamn accessories if they want to play :mad:

Microsoft's refusal to confirm the price has me confused.

They kept the Slim 360 and the name Kinect hidden so well, why would the official price be common knowledge for all stores?

As I said in the other thread, I'm betting on the long shot that it wont be $150. Not because it isn't possible, it certainly is, but just because I like to bet on the long shots. I say it'll be $120 or lower.

Brannon

AceBandage said:
Geeze.

Plus, people keep forgetting the justification factor. Will somebody buy all 4 Wiimotes + Nunchucks at once? Probably not. It's easier to justify buying a remote one month, then a few weeks or months down the road, to get another, or just make your friends bring their own; they should anyway with the way the remote saves your info. The regular buyer doesn't really 'see' the true cost when it is hidden by time (IF YOU POST ON GAF YOU ARE NOT A REGULAR BUYER).

This option does not exist with Kinect. It's $150, straight up. That's harder to swallow in one shot compared to buying a piece of next-gen controls over time. You'd think MS would know this, considering their microtransaction pioneering, but there you go.

Dead Man Typing said:

They kept the Slim 360 and the name Kinect hidden so well, why would the official price be common knowledge for all stores?

As I said in the other thread, I'm betting on the long shot that it wont be $150. Not because it isn't possible, it certainly is, but just because I like to bet on the long shots. I say it'll be $120 or lower.

Anything above $90 is too high, honestly.
At $150, I have no idea who MS is targeting outside of hardcore XBox fans.

KamenSenshi

I can only hope for MS that they have a magical ad campaign cause at that price with no game and no 360 they certainly have their work cut out for them.

-PXG-

Dead Man Typing said:

This is the same company that sells a fucking USB WiFi adapter for $100. The same company that initially sold a 120 GB hard drive for $190. Just saying.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
B-Rad Lascelle said:
There is one (and only) one scenario I can think of where a $149 pricepoint makes sense.
If Microsoft rolls out a combination Kinect-X360 S Arcade SKU for $249 alongside it.

Make it so existing console owners feel compelled to rebuy their consoles for the value add of the new form factor, onboard Wi-Fi, larger HDD & Kinect instead of buying the standalone Kinect accessory on its own. Meanwhile the system still falls into the sweet spot of the Wii's 2006 price point for new casual owners who get swept up by the controller-free gaming hype.

The whole point of Kinect isn't to satisfy the existing base anyway. They have Halo Reach, Gears of War 3, Fable III and Call of Duty: Black Ops maps to keep themselves entertained. It's to bring in a new audience. So it really doesn't matter whether the standalone accessory is $149, 199 or 249 on launch day... so long as there's an affordable system-Kinect-game combo SKU available for prospective new X360 owners.

And we don't have any idea what a price point for that will be as of yet.
Selling an arcade SKU and Kinect for that price would mean that Microsoft would be taking quite a hit on price. The fact that they're pricing Kinect so high as it is tells me that they don't want to be back in lthe territory where they lose money with every unit sold.
We'll see though.

Dead Man Typing said:

Telling the major retailers that the price will be $150 when they're really planning to sell it for $120 would be a fantastic way to piss them all off.

Top Bottom