• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Preorders Open For $150 On Multiple Sites

Krev said:
After quietly pulling the price from their store last month, the $149.99 price was relisted on Microsoft Store within the past hour.

They included this picture though:
en-US151_Xbox360_Kinect_Sensor_ZZN-00001_spec_mssg.png

But why would Microsoft tell this price to retailers and list it on their online store if it wasn't what it's going to sell for?

And we already have a thread about that.

Not to mention all other threads about Kinect's speculated price. Was another one really necessary?

Najaf

I do not see this finding a good foundation among the 'core' users. And, similar to how the casual audience has treated the Wii as a closet system that is brought out for company to play one game, I fear this too will meet a similar fate. I just don't see casual consumers purchasing many follow up titles beyond the launch titles.

I'm sure it will sell fine this holiday, but it will be interesting to see the sales (both games and hardware) come fall 2011.

Honestly at that price, I don't see myself ever jumping on board. It will take a while for Kinect to prove itself to me, and by then we will likely be looking at early specs on future xbox hardware.

Hmm. If the price really is that high, and with the current limitations Kinect has, Microsoft may have been a little premature with trying to push this tech out the door so soon...

Brannon

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Not to mention all other threads about Kinect's speculated price. Was another one really necessary?

Because the more it pops up here and on other places on the net, the more Google will trend not just Kinect, but Kinect + Too Expensive, and the more that will probably in some small way make MS take notice and probably lower the price.

Hope springs eternal, and crap like that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
-PXG- said:
This is the same company that sells a fucking USB WiFi adapter for $100. The same company that initially sold a 120 GB hard drive for $190. Just saying.
Those things were all targeted towards the hardcore though. They seem to be aiming for a more casual market with Kinect, so it'll need a casual market price to succeed. Maybe they'll drop the price of the Arcade to $99 as a loss leader for the $150 Kinect, and make it $250 for the bundle.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Four of the biggest retailers just listed this price and started taking pre-orders this morning.
I'd say that's as close to a confirmation as you'll get before Microsoft officially announce it. I think it's worth a new thread.
Considering that MS have been saying for a couple of days that the price was soon to be announced, it could be coming any hour now. It looks to me like the retailers jumped the gun.

jiggle

fake high price to build up GAF hate, obviously
every level that achieves, retail sales will increase in conjunction
these retailers are all in on it

SapientWolf said:
Those things were all targeted towards the hardcore though. They seem to be aiming for a more casual market with Kinect, so it'll need a casual market price to succeed. Maybe they'll drop the price of the Arcade to $99 as a loss leader for the $150 Kinect, and make it $250 for the bundle.

In what universe?
It just had a massive price drop and a fire sale...

-PXG-

Majine said:
I don't see any killer app yet. Not for Move either.

Yep.

- Shitty games
- Relatively high cost of admission
- The Wii

These three factors will be the death of Move and Kinect.

Krev said:
Four of the biggest retailers just listed this price and started taking pre-orders this morning.
I'd say that's as close to a confirmation as you'll get before Microsoft officially announce it. I think it's worth a new thread.
Considering that MS have been saying for a couple of days that the price was soon to be announced, it could be coming any hour now. It looks to me like the retailers jumped the gun.

$149 might really end up being the launch price, but certain retailers have been taking preorders for some time now so this is by no means a confirmation of anything. Are we going to have yet another thread when the price is actually confirmed?

X26 said:
well gaf says it'll bomb at this price so clearly it will sell like gangbusters lolololol

Hasn't it occurred to you that if they do announce it at that price, it might be because large enough quantities won't be ready for launch? So they would rather sell the limited stock at a higher price and lower it when the production is ramped up?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
last I heard the games were going to be $49 and Kinect was coming with Kinect Adventures @149. Unless they plan on changing their minds again

Majine said:
I don't see any killer app yet. Same goes for Move.

This is going to be the biggest issue for most people. The high cost wouldn't be a problem if there was decent software to back it up. As of now, there isn't anything in the launch lineup that looks compelling and innovative enough to me, just a lot of "me too" efforts.

Majine

Banned
-PXG- said:
Yep.

- Shitty games
- Relatively high cost of admission
- The Wii

These three factors will be the death of Move and Kinect.
Atleast Sony's "idea" has a smoother entry port. The 99 dollar Move bundle gets you the controller and a (WSR-ripoff) game, whereas 50 bucks more allows you to flail your arms in the Xbox dashboard.

But yeah, I can't wait for both to fail spectacularly so we can move on.

JordanLMiller said:
This is going to be the biggest issue for most people. The high cost wouldn't be a problem if there was decent software to back it up. As of now, there isn't anything in the launch lineup that looks compelling and innovative enough to me, just a lot of "me too" efforts.
I think Dance Central has the potential to be huge.

-PXG-

Majine said:
Atleast Sony's "idea" has a smoother entry port. The 99 dollar Move bundle gets you the controller and a game, whereas 50 bucks more allows you to flail your arms in the Xbox dashboard.

But yeah, I can't wait for both to fail spectacularly so we can move on.

heh..

I suppose. The navigation controller is $30 though....

InaudibleWhispa said:

If Kinect was already in homes, it would be.
As it is right now, there's a bunch of Just Dance type games already on the Wii.

InaudibleWhispa said:

Yeah, especially if marketed correctly. The problem there is that one would need to buy a 360, Kinect, and the software, when something like Just Dance has been available now for like a year and at a cheaper price. I think bundles are probably inevitable at some point if Microsoft is serious about this.

Edit: beaten...

gcubed

AceBandage said:
All models just got a $50 price drop last month, and many stores were selling the Arcade with a $30-50 Gift Card.
That's just stock clearance not a permanent price drop

The really sad thing is that if the price is announced as quite a bit lower, haters will just switch their complaints to something else.

Disgusted-Lucille-Eyeroll-Animated-gif-arrested-development-9465744-256-141.gif

gcubed

Darth Tigris said:
The really sad thing is that if the price is announced as quite a bit lower, haters will just switch their complaints to something else.

Disgusted-Lucille-Eyeroll-Animated-gif-arrested-development-9465744-256-141.gif
You act like this is exclusive to kinect... It's gaf

tak

Based on the price and the software lineup, Kinect is destined to become a niche market, specially since you have to buy a console on top Kinect.

Kunan

beast786 said:
Bad example.

It only does 2 player.

elrechazao said:
ok,so you buy 3, so the point is perfectly valid.
See the quote above^^^. It's invalid to compare 4 wiimotes vs the 2 player Natal.

You can get 2 wiimote/motion+ packs and 2 nunchuks for $140. That doesn't even take into account that you actually already have 1 set from buying the Wii.

Top Bottom