• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Preorders Open For $150 On Multiple Sites

-PXG- said:
Yep.

- Shitty games
- Relatively high cost of admission
- The Wii

These three factors will be the death of Move and Kinect.
- lack of Nintendo's titles

The only reason the Wii is the success it is is because of Nintendo's titles. Third parties have by and large ignored the platform. Given the way they've snubbed the fastest selling console of all time, I doubt any third parties will give Move/Kinect the time of day, so it falls solely to first parties to carry either platform. This is the biggest problem. Sony will probably keep their best devs focused on hardcore games with Move controls simply tacked on, while Microsoft doesn't exactly have that many developers to speak of. I don't believe either company has a studio that can create a game that is accessible and popular as Nintendo's biggest successes.

Afrikan

so did anyone even click the links...lol

from the BestBuy one...
first time I'm seeing this...

Includes Kinect for Xbox 360, power supply cable, Kinect game, manual and Wi-Fi extension cable

is this a typo? or is there a game packaged in now...

edit- and since Kinect games run for $60+ tax....I guess Kinect alone would only costs $90 :D

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Afrikan said:
so did anyone even click the links...lol

from the BestBuy one...
first time I'm seeing this...

is this a typo? or is there a game packaged in now...
John Harker said:
last I heard the games were going to be $49 and Kinect was coming with Kinect Adventures @149. Unless they plan on changing their minds again
Sounds like this is true.

Afrikan said:
edit- and since Kinect games run for $60+ tax....I guess Kinect alone would only costs $90 :D
By that logic, Wii launched at $199.

Owzers

I guess my brain works like this:

Kinect is better than the Eyetoy, right? So i'd pay more than that for it, except Microsoft wants more than 3x as much money. Soooooooooo no?

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I think this is just a really dumb move, you don't launch a Wii competitor at $300 at this point in the game. Sure you save on controllers with 4 people but you can't put that on the box. Unlike Move, Kinect seems like a peripheral with virtually no use for hardcore games. They were aiming at the casual market and they've priced it right out of that. What's their demographic?

$149......

i4lau9.gif

Afrikan

Zek said:
I think this is just a really dumb move, you don't launch a Wii competitor at $300 at this point in the game. Sure you save on controllers with 4 people but you can't put that on the box. Unlike Move, Kinect seems like a peripheral with virtually no use for hardcore games. They were aiming at the casual market and they've priced it right out of that. What's their demographic?

what ever it is, I really hope they don't think it is mostly current 360 owners.....

.GqueB.

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
Microsoft's refusal to confirm the price has me confused.

They kept the Slim 360 and the name Kinect hidden so well, why would the official price be common knowledge for all stores?

As I said in the other thread, I'm betting on the long shot that it wont be $150. Not because it isn't possible, it certainly is, but just because I like to bet on the long shots. I say it'll be $120 or lower.
When a company refuses to confirm the price for something, more often than not it means that its going to be too expensive.

Nicktals

Banned
Afrikan said:
I've always looked at it that way....

And, according to MSRP, official Nintendo brand composite cables are $15. A power chord? That right there is worth $20. A sensor bar? Add another $20. Don't even get me started on the included Wii Remote and Nunchuck. That's a $60 added bonus for free!.

Add it all up and really the Wii launched for 95 dollars. That's not counting all the spiffy packaging and manuals I got for free.

EDIT: Let me also add that this thread is dumb. We had MAJOR retailers listing the price for months now. So another major couple add it, and it deserves a new thread? THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL. This thread title should only apply for when microsoft sends out PR announcing it as $149

RavenFox said:
You're hoping it won't be $149 eh? Take something so you can sleep tonight.

No, he's just saying that the price is anything but official at this point, which is a fact. Whether it will be $149, $99 or $399 is secondary.

Nicktals

Banned
RavenFox said:
You're hoping it won't be $149 eh? Take something so you can sleep tonight.

Ugh.

We've had MAJOR retailers saying 150 for a month. Another major retailer says it, and NOW it's official?

It's not official until MS announces it. That's what official means.

Nicktals said:
Ugh.

We've had MAJOR retailers saying 150 for a month. Another major retailer says it, and NOW it's official?

It's not official until MS announces it. That's what official means.

So why are all these major retailers saying 150? Who's telling them they should all begin taking pre-orders at 150?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Afrikan said:
I've always looked at it that way....
I guess it depends on whether you would buy Wii Sports separately. In Japan it wasn't packed in and it sold a lot of copies. Who knows whether Kinect Adventures has the same appeal.

Afrikan said:
what ever it is, I really hope they don't think it is mostly current 360 owners.....
MS realize that their demographic is really skewed towards 'hardcore', and after the success of Wii they see how much money there is in catering to the until recently largely ignored casual side of the market. Kinect is an attempt to win over that demographic. They barely bothered to show off how this would appeal to hardcore gamers at E3.

Zek said:
Kinect only works with up to 2 players.

Part of the genius of the Wii was the way it was designed to create new gamers. People who are pretty casual or totally unfamiliar with games are attracted because it has a simple, non-threatening TV remote like controller with a nifty feature of sensing the waving of your arms. They buy the machine, fool around with Wii Sports, and familiarize themselves with the controller. Turn that controller on its side and...it's a NES controller, the simplest form of the modern day video game controller. Nintendo can now sell people who were once afraid of video games something like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which has simple, easy to learn traditional video game controls. Just like that, a non-gamer has become a gamer. These players might forever continue playing other simple 'bridge games' like DKCR and Mario Kart, but With the right marketing, Nintendo can get them to also buy its more 'hardcore' games, like Super Mario Galaxy or Zelda. Through this strategy, they've expanded the audience buys Nintendo's biggest games and created new fans for the future.
This all comes down to the design of the controller.
Microsoft have attempted to one-up Wii's casual appeal. So you thought it was cool pretending a wand was a tennis racket? Well now you can play without a controller at all, like magic! The problem is, there's no vision for the future here. From what we've seen, Kinect has virtually no uses for more complex games. Because there's no controller involved, there's no way to push casuals and new gamers into more complex experiences.
"So you liked playing Kinect Adventures with your hands, huh? How about Gears on a traditional pad?"
In this way, Kinect creates an Xbox market that is permanently bisected into casual and hardcore contingents.

This might not be such a big deal to Microsoft. Nintendo is a game company first and foremost, and its long-term goal is to get more fans of their systems and games buying their products. Microsoft on the other hand is a computer software company focusing increasingly on multimedia applications and hardware. Their long-term goal is to get as many people as possible using Live, so that it gets more content deals which they take a cut out of. Increasing the market that buys traditional games is not a priority for Microsoft like it is for Nintendo.

C4Lukins

I bet they are just testing the waters with that price. If they get a ton of pre-orders, and they think it will still be a big hit this Christmas, and or there is a limited supply compared to the demand, then $150 will be the initial price. If pre-orders are below what is expected or well below the amount they are currently planning on producing during the holidays, then we will see that price lowered before launch. I think they are seeing how many people are willing to buy this product at $150, and they are giving themselves wiggle room to adjust their strategy if the answer is "not very many."

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
C4Lukins said:
I bet they are just testing the waters with that price. If they get a ton of pre-orders, and they think it will still be a big hit this Christmas, and or there is a limited supply compared to the demand, then $150 will be the price. If pre-orders are below what is expected or well below the amount they are currently planning on producing during the holidays, then we will see that price lowered before launch. I think they are seeing how many people are willing to buy this product at $150, and they are giving themselves wiggle room to adjust their strategy if the answer is "not very many."
They may well be doing this, but I think it would piss off the retailers.

They only have three and a half months to finalize the price, anyway.

Afrikan

Nicktals said:
And, according to MSRP, official Nintendo brand composite cables are $15. A power chord? That right there is worth $20. A sensor bar? Add another $20. Don't even get me started on the included Wii Remote and Nunchuck. That's a $60 added bonus for free!.

Add it all up and really the Wii launched for 95 dollars. That's not counting all the spiffy packaging and manuals I got for free.

how much did it cost to manufacturer a Gamecube during the Wii's launch period?

Afrikan

Krev said:
I guess it depends on whether you would buy Wii Sports separately. In Japan it wasn't packed in and it sold a lot of copies. Who knows whether Kinect Adventures has the same appeal.

MS realize that their demographic is really skewed towards 'hardcore', and after the success of Wii they see how much money there is in catering to the until recently largely ignored casual side of the market. Kinect is an attempt to win over that demographic. They barely bothered to show off how this would appeal to hardcore gamers at E3.

I really don't know why they just didn't draw up using head tracking for Halo Reach by way of Kinect...that would have been a good start.

by the way, I agree with the rest of your post....it was a good read.

H_Prestige said:
So why are all these major retailers saying 150? Who's telling them they should all begin taking pre-orders at 150?

Because of this rumor which has roots in another speculative price-setting, allegedly based on unconfirmed prices given by some local Microsoft representatives. Most retailers guarantee that people who preorder won't be charged more than the preorder price so those prices are considered to be on the safe side, ie. retailers are pretty confident they won't be higher, although they might indeed be lower.

This is getting ridiculous. It would be sweet if mods would actually be doing their jobs, but Kinect bashing at NeoGAF has taken on the proportions of Dyack hatred so I suppose at this point just about anything goes.

C4Lukins

Rapping Granny said:
They could at least throw in one of those shitty games, oh wait it's Microsoft, the same company that charged $100 for Wifi and a 20GB HHD.

This is a bit different though. They want Kinect to be the thing that gives them Wii levels of success this generation. They were not trying to draw in new customers with expensive HHD's and Wifi accessories. Those are just cash grabs. This is something that they are really trying to make successful and their past strategies cannot really be compared with normal inflated accessory pricing.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Because of this rumor which has roots in another speculative price-setting, allegedly based on unconfirmed prices given by some local Microsoft representatives. Most retailers guarantee that people who preorder won't be charged more than the preorder price so those prices are considered to be on the safe side, ie. retailers are pretty confident they won't be higher, although they might indeed be lower.
You're kidding, right?

On the 18th of July, a bunch of the biggest retailers of games, who are in constant contact with Microsoft, simultaneously put Kinect up for a speculative price because of an internet rumour from late May.
The Microsoft Store also decided to put the product up for this same rumoured price.

This has to be a joke.

Afrikan said:
I really don't know why they just didn't draw up using head tracking for Halo Reach by way of Kinect...that would have been a good start.
Head tracking would be cool, but I think the major problem there is that no one will buy a $150 device just for a feature like that. Though, it would be a nice incentive for someone who plays games like Halo but might want a Kinect for his family or girlfriend. Would make that price seem less steep.
Afrikan said:
by the way, I agree with the rest of your post....it was a good read
Thanks!

I think another problem with the Kinect strategy is that Microsoft seem to be banking on the idea that casual gamers are not loyal, and many will 'upgrade' to the Wii. If this is true, what's going to stop them from jumping to the next Nintendo console when it (assumedly) does something new, cool and unexpected? Microsoft are playing catch-up, and that's a bad place to be in. They need to think up something as cool or cooler than what Nintendo is cooking up for next-gen if they want to keep the casual base that would 'upgrade' from Wii.

Krev said:
You're kidding, right?

On the 18th of July, a bunch of the biggest retailers of games, who are in constant contact with Microsoft, simultaneously put Kinect up for a speculative price because of an internet rumour from late May.
The Microsoft Store also decided to put the product up for this same rumoured price.

This has to be a joke.

You do realize most or all of those retailers, including the Microsoft Store (which has clearly labeled it as a placeholder price), have had those speculative prices for some time now? Relisting proves what exactly?

It's a rumor no matter how you slice it. A rumor that might eventually prove to be true, but right now a rumor is all it is.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
You do realize most or all of those retailers, including the Microsoft Store (which has clearly labeled it as a placeholder price), have had those speculative prices for some time now? Relisting proves what exactly?

It's a rumor no matter how you slice it. A rumor that might eventually prove to be true, but right now a rumor is all it is.
To relist the $149.99 price after pulling that information suggests to me that they're more sure of it now and are thus ready to put it back up online, but you're right, it's unofficial.
Regardless of whether they call it a placeholder price though, once the official Microsoft Store is listing Kinect for $149.99 it's preposterous to call this is just a speculated number based on internet rumours.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

I just don't get why people find it so strange. Retailers knew that interest would be high after E3 so they HAVE to have a price there for preorders. That price can NOT be less than the actual price of Kinect, so now we have the $149.99 price and the disclaimer that comes with it.

It COULD end up being the actual price, but to believe that the price MUST be accurate because of what we seen is not looking at the whole picture.

So why can't we just ... wait?

Chrange

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:

This is getting ridiculous. It would be sweet if mods would actually be doing their jobs, but Kinect bashing at NeoGAF has taken on the proportions of Dyack hatred so I suppose at this point just about anything goes.
Careful man. Last time I made a joke about every Kinect thread being nothing but bashing I got banned for two weeks for 'not being helpful in a Kinect thread' :lol

Either bash it or shut the fuck up is the message I guess.

Krev said:
To relist the $149.99 price after pulling that information suggests to me that they're more sure of it now and are thus ready to put it back up online, but you're right, it's unofficial.
Regardless of whether they call it a placeholder price though, once the official Microsoft Store is listing Kinect for $149.99 it's preposterous to call this is just a speculated number based on internet rumours.

Why would it be preposterous? If this was all planned in advance, you think Microsoft's own store wouldn't know about it? What about the possibility of Microsoft initially planning to launch the device at that price, but changing their minds afterwards?

We can speculate about many things, but we all have to agree that right now that's all it is - speculation. And there are already several threads for that.

By the way, how exactly do you know Kinect has been relisted? Google cache shows some of those stores had the exact same listings several days ago, including the Microsoft store (July 14th).

Chrange said:
Careful man. Last time I made a joke about every Kinect thread being nothing but bashing I got banned for two weeks for 'not being helpful in a Kinect thread' :lol

Oh what do I care? If this is how this place functions, I don't want to be a part of it.

Nicktals

Banned
H_Prestige said:

Who cares?

Something isn't official until it's announced from the company itself. We had major retailers saying 150 a month ago.

It could very well be straight from MS. But we don't know. That's the difference between heavily rumored and official.

I'm not doubting for a second that the price will be 150. I think it will be. But it's not official.

Afrikan said:
how much did it cost to manufacturer a Gamecube during the Wii's launch period?

I have absolutely no idea what your point is.

C4Lukins

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Oh what do I care? If this is how this place functions, I don't want to be a part of it.

It does not really function that way. I have said certain things that I was pretty sure would get me banned and yet I lived on. I have said things that I thought were perfectly safe and got a ban from them. The mods have different temperaments and tastes, and I doubt there is some secret rulebook outside of very particular guidelines that are quite obvious, racism, sexism, blatant consistent trolling, admission to being a pirate, being a giant dick, that are going to get you banned. This place would turn to shit really quick if it was just a free for all.

mujun

Rapping Granny said:
They could at least throw in one of those shitty games, oh wait it's Microsoft, the same company that charged $100 for Wifi and a 20GB HHD.

Take things in isolation and you can make any company look bad (or good).

Why don't you just look at the Kinect, compare it to similar products and decide if it's overpriced from there.

goldenpp72

Kinect will bomb if it's 150, no one should dispute that. The only level of success it would have is bundled with the console.

I don't think some people have it in perspective yet, kinect alone at that price would be near the price of a wii, a wii controller with motion plus and 2 games, I just can't imagine the kinect hardware is nearly as expensive to make as a 360 arcade and a wii (both which are profitable)

Personally, i'd buy it at 100 with kinect sports, anything more and i'm out, and no I don't even consider that a good deal, just acceptable and logical.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Synth_floyd said:
Apple leaked $999 about the ipad then announced it at $500. MS could be doing something similar. Who knows.

I think people give the same company that charged 100 bucks for a 20 GB HDD and 100 bucks for a Wi-Fi adapter WAY too much credit.

DMeisterJ said:
I think people give the same company that charged 100 bucks for a 20 GB HDD and 100 bucks for a Wi-Fi adapter WAY too much credit.

As mentioned before, this is way different. Kinect is Microsofts biggest push since they launched the 360. This is their "next console", so they are going to aggressively price their stuff. They are going to give this the biggest marketing push imaginable, and give it the most mainstream price and appeal possible.

(and why all the Kinect hate? The hardware has a lot of potential, and Milo & Kate is showing some of the innovative and different ways it can change what we see as gaming and gaming experiences. There's so much potential and interesting ways to make games unique experiences going forward. I really don't get why people are being so hateful and scoffing at it)

Nicktals said:
EDIT: Let me also add that this thread is dumb. We had MAJOR retailers listing the price for months now. So another major couple add it, and it deserves a new thread? THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL. This thread title should only apply for when microsoft sends out PR announcing it as $149

Have you not notice Gaf love talking about Kinect. May be it's MS viral marketing plan!

Magnus

Wow, I really didn't think this price was going to stick. What a disaster. I'm out.

I realize it's not official, but it's good enough.

goldenpp72

Kinect is the most ambitious, outgoing accessory MS has launched yes, to compare it to an HDD or wireless adapter is just retarded, all companies gouge people, I can't be the only one who remembered the gamecube launch memory cards or sonys HDD for the ps2 (which was totally useless as well)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Majine said:
I don't see any killer app yet. Same goes for Move.
Move looks like a product I may want, because it is just a Wii Remote for anther system. Kinect is Eyetoy 3.0

Kogepan

goldenpp72 said:
Kinect will bomb if it's 150, no one should dispute that. The only level of success it would have is bundled with the console.

I don't think some people have it in perspective yet, kinect alone at that price would be near the price of a wii, a wii controller with motion plus and 2 games, I just can't imagine the kinect hardware is nearly as expensive to make as a 360 arcade and a wii (both which are profitable)

Personally, i'd buy it at 100 with kinect sports, anything more and i'm out, and no I don't even consider that a good deal, just acceptable and logical.

If it was going to be $99, MS would have announced it at the E3. I mean, is there any reason why they would keep it a 'secret' for 3 months?

Face it, its 149.99.

Top Bottom