• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Machinarium coming to WiiWare

Searched, didn't see this posted yet:

NintendoLife said:
XGen Studios' last WiiWare title, Defend Your Castle, seems like a long time ago now, but it won't be long before it's gracing our Shop Channel again as it's bringing two titles to WiiWare in the coming months.

The first is a collaboration with Amanita Design to bring to WiiWare the highly-regarded PC puzzle-adventure Machinarium, which won plenty of hearts – and awards – for its offbeat design and fantastic artwork, a sample of which you can see in a trailer from the PC version below.

The second title is the all-new Super Motherload, the next entry in the alarmingly addictive Motherload series. With four player drop-in, drop-out co-op play and plenty of Martian digging action, we'll bring you screenshots and plenty more information on both releases in the coming months.

http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/new..._machinarium_and_super_motherload_for_wiiware

Kinda a coup for WiiWare there, considering it almost came to XBLA. I might consider double dipping just for the security of not having to worry about disappearing saves.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LiquidMetal14 said:
Didn't the devs also confirm or hint at a PSN release on the blog too?

Yeah, I can find a link but it sounded like it was very likely to happen.
If so I'll go with the PSN version for the HD's but this is hell of a catch for the Wiiware. If it doesn't go to PSN, will get.

epmode

Weird. Guess they'll have to redo the art since it's normally built for something like 1280x800.
DevilWillcry said:
Very nice I just traded my 360 in for a Wii and I was really looking forward to this. My PC can't run shit BTW.
This doesn't make sense on several levels.

I'm pretty surprised by this, simply because the PC version is 380 MB when installed. If XGen can really squeeze the game into just over a tenth of that space, it'll be a hell of a feat. I wouldn't think that downscaling the art would be enough in itself, but what do I know?

zoku88

Everyone should get this.

Though, literally, any PC would be able to play this, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't do that instead.

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if my phone could run this...

Father_Brain said:
I'm pretty surprised by this, simply because the PC version is 380 MB when installed. If XGen can really squeeze the game into just over a tenth of that space, it'll be a hell of a feat.
How much would reducing the resolution of the assets reduce the file size by?

dani_dc

I hope this will get my friend who refused to play this on his Mac to finally try it on the Wii :lol
(He did the same with World of Goo)

Probably a naive question but I'm not a programmer, so: how is a port to another system even possible? Flash is closed and Adobe doesn't make binaries for any of the consoles so how is it even possible to port Flash to another platform? The scripting and rendering is all built into Flash APIs, right? Would they basically have to re-make the game with a native engine and scripting language?

Anyway, the more people show Amanita love the better.

Stumpokapow said:
IIRC it's built for roughly 720p, so the resolution would drop by about 66%.

Even if the art assets only made up half of the original game data (190MB out of 380MB), a third of that (63.3 MB) would still be far above the WiiWare size limit. I have no idea how XGen intends to pull it off, but I imagine that they know more about compression than I do.

epmode said:
Weird. Guess they'll have to redo the art since it's normally built for something like 1280x800.This doesn't make sense on several levels.

Yes that seems to be the resolution, aren't there things like pixel-thin wires? Might just need a few tweaks.

Father_Brain said:
Even if the art assets only made up half of the original game data (190MB out of 380MB), a third of that (63.3 MB) would still be far above the WiiWare size limit. I have no idea how XGen intends to pull it off, but I imagine that they know more about compression than I do.

Don't know if there's any jpeg compression on the PC version but making it lossier should help. Same for the music.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
faceless007 said:
Probably a naive question but I'm not a programmer, so: how is a port to another system even possible? Flash is closed and Adobe doesn't make binaries for any of the consoles so how is it even possible to port Flash to another platform? The scripting and rendering is all built into Flash APIs, right? Would they basically have to re-make the game with a native engine and scripting language?

Anyway, the more people show Amanita love the better.
Nintendo opened up the Wii to Flash development around last year: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/13/cave-story-dev-nintendo-opens-wii-to-flash-development/

seady

Wiiware is on a roll lately. Nintendo needs to do a "Winter of Arcade" to have people aware of Wiiware's existence, as no one (even the 'hardcores' here) knows there has been many great games on it.

Winter of Arcade
Retro City Rampage
Bit.Trip Fate
Fluidity
Machinarium
Lilt Line
La-Mulana

Haunted

Good pickup for WiiWare, although I'd imagine there are few with a Wii but not a PC capable to run this. Well, for those few who do, definitely get this when it pops up. It's worth it.

seady said:
Wiiware is on a roll lately. Nintendo needs to do a "Winter of Arcade" to have people aware of Wiiware's existence, as no one (even the 'hardcores' here) knows there has been many great games on it.

Winter of Arcade
Retro City Rampage
Bit.Trip Fate
Fluidity
Machinarium
Lilt Line
La-Mulana
Yeah, awareness and marketing are WiiWare's biggest problem, not lack of content.

bryehn

DevilWillcry said:
Very nice I just traded my 360 in for a Wii and I was really looking forward to this. My PC can't run shit BTW.

That must be one shit PC, I can run that on a two year old laptop.

Platy

Cave Story, La Mulana, Noitu Love 2, Machinarium ..... where is my VVVVVV wiiware version ?

seady said:

Winter of ... Ware ?

Luigiv

Wow, wasn't expecting that to happen. Didn't think it would fit within the limit when the PC version is 300MB.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't know why you guys are so surprised about the file size thing. I'm pretty sure the PC versions of the Strong Bad and Monkey Island episodes weren't under 50 MB, and those came out on Wii, too.

Also, at this point PC digital distribution and WiiWare are basically the PS3/360 of indie and episodic downloadable games. Everything's coming out on both now.

Htown said:
I don't know why you guys are so surprised about the file size thing. I'm pretty sure the PC versions of the Strong Bad and Monkey Island episodes weren't under 50 MB, and those came out on Wii, too.

3D visuals are a lot easier to get under the 40 MB limit than hand-drawn 2D art, and I'm pretty sure none of the Telltale episodes you're referring to were anywhere near 380 MB to begin with.

zoku88

Father_Brain said:
3D visuals are a lot easier tp get under the 40 MB limit than hand-drawn 2D art, and I'm pretty sure none of the Telltale episodes you're referring to were anywhere near 380 MB to begin with.
It's about 300MB.

Monkey Island Ep 1, at least.

EDIT: 270MB

Top Bottom