• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocko's Modern Life.......pure brilliance in cartoon form...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turned on NickToons after seeing Rocko's Modern Life on, I hadn't seen this show since before I was a little bitty boy.

There are so many jokes that only adults can get. I'm watching the episode where Rocko has Filburt's diary, and accuse him of being an alien. Rocko and Hepher are sitting at the Chewy Chicken with Filburt when Hepher starts questioning Filburt and getting all analytical...love the references to older sci-fi movies! :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQdKc_JyfYg

Anyone else enjoy the show as much as I do?

DonMigs85

And the restaurant was actually called "Chokey Chicken" before Season 4.
666 was also shown quite a lot, like the number for one of the cinemas.

DonMigs85 said:
And the restaurant was actually called "Chokey Chicken" before Season 4.
666 was also shown quite a lot, like the number for one of the cinemas.

Holy shit you're not kidding. Now an episode where Heffer becomes a contestant on that gameshow hosted by that blackrobed utter head guy is on.

666 has been mentioned like 8 times already.

Phone number, channel it was being shown on, points to score. Jeez-o peezo

Ferrio

Banned
To me one of the craziest episodes was the clown one. As a kid I didn't realize what the episode was really about, but when I was older and watched it... holy shit it's about Ed Bighead being gay and coming out of the closet. All they did was replace "gay" with "Clown" and boom there was the episode. Even a scene were he meets his boss in the bathroom who confronts him about being in the closet, and the episode ends with rocko saying he likes rainbows and everyone being appaled.

HOLY FUCK! :lol :lol

The episode just came on where Rocko tries to roller blade to impress that female, at the end Rocko saves the day and Heffer's life by chasing him down hill with a jackhammer. The girl tells Rocko he sure knows how to use a jackhammer. He blushes then goes, "So...are you interested in jackhammering?"

Or something along the lines of it, am I just being dirty or is that an innuendo?

Clydefrog

GlhRf.png

Ferrio said:
To me one of the craziest episodes was the clown one. As a kid I didn't realize what the episode was really about, but when I was older and watched it... holy shit it's about Ed Bighead being gay and coming out of the closet. All they did was replace "gay" with "Clown" and boom there was the episode. Even a scene were he meets his boss in the bathroom who confronts him about being in the closet, and the episode ends with rocko saying he likes rainbows and everyone being appaled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oTLTY1MVmU&feature=related :lol

also a collection of them, forgot how awesome this show was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWsY_TwNdJs

They actually had the first time the robed guy show up as Hell but the to L's slashed through and ck written instead, but then in a later season 1 episode where they go to the carnival it literally says "Elevator to Hell". Also, love the airport episode, they actually stopped showing that one after 9/11.

Darklord

Banned
I love this show. It's one of those amazing shows that I loved as a kid and as an adult I still love it because of all the hidden jokes in it that I never understood as a kid.

only Season 1 was pure brilliance

Season 2 ruined the series by giving too much time to 2ndary characters like Philbert and the Dentist

Season 1 revolved mostly around Rocko exclusively while 2ndary characters were 2ndary

but in Season 2, the Dentist and Philbert overexposure ruined the cartoon

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This is one of my fave cartoons on Nick!

Ren & Stimpy took it a bit further but this is totally what I like about cartoons! You can rewatch em as an adult and it's sooo good

Ferrio said:

YES. I saw this episode recently too. As a kid, I did not understand the show at all but after rewatching episodes on Nicktoons Network, I finally get the jokes. :lol :lol

There was so much risky stuff in this show it was unreal. The one that sticks in my mind the most was the episode when Rocko gets a cold that stops them from going to see the wrestlin. They go to the hospital and you hear a voice over the PA system saying

"Doctor Pheliac, Doctor Necro Pheliac, Please go to the morgue".

WTF!

Fantastic show, I loved it as a child.

The Magic 8 ball/meatball episode comes to mind.

Or the one where Mr Bighead was golfing with that guy.

Or the weird carnival one.

Ahh too sweet.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yeah, may be worth rewatching some of these.

Ren & Stimpy seasones 1-2 also pushed the limits to the point that the creator was fired by viacom. Some pretty funny stuff rewatching them that I didn't get as a kid.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I watched the entire season on netflix. It is absolutely fantastic.

If you liked Rocko's Modern Life, you'll probably like Spongebob Squarepants because Stephen Hillenburg had a large part in that cartoon as well.

Animatik

Neo Member
I used to watch this cartoon as a kid mainly because it was just a cartoon and never really took noticed of all the jokes up until now. Just finished watching the first season on Netflix and love it even more.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Monkeylord said:
There was so much risky stuff in this show it was unreal. The one that sticks in my mind the most was the episode when Rocko gets a cold that stops them from going to see the wrestlin. They go to the hospital and you hear a voice over the PA system saying

"Doctor Pheliac, Doctor Necro Pheliac, Please go to the morgue".

WTF!
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom