• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling" set to air on Nick in 2018

Camjo-Z

Original voice cast included!

Last year, Nickelodeon confirmed that it was bringing back a number of its old Nicktoons shows for one-off movies, including Hey Arnold and that old satirical, surrealist mainstay, Rocko’s Modern Life. Now, the network has released a cast list and synopsis for the film, revealing that the entire O-Town crew—Tom Kenny, Mr. Lawrence, Charlie Adler, Jill Talley, Linda Wallem, and Rocko himself, Carlos Alazraqui—will all return for Static Cling.

The film’s premise seems to have landed right in the middle of Rocko’s anti-corporate, anti-fad wheelhouse, with everybody’s favorite cartoon wallaby returning to Earth from space (where’s he been stuck since 1996), only to find his best friends Heffer and Filburt, plus the entire rest of the planet, addicted to smartphones and social media.

Infest my pathetic soul with bad luck and extreme misfortune for all eternity if old.

Bolivar687

Banned
The film’s premise seems to have landed right in the middle of Rocko’s anti-corporate, anti-fad wheelhouse, with everybody’s favorite cartoon wallaby returning to Earth from space (where’s he been stuck since 1996), only to find his best friends Heffer and Filburt, plus the entire rest of the planet, addicted to smartphones and social media.

This is going to be amazing

Sephzilla

c8Ene56.gif

SpecX

This is fucking amazing! I've been introducing my kids to this series and we watch random episodes together on the weekends. This I look forward to watching with them.

zeioIIDX

Holy....crap. I totally forgot about this. And now I've suddenly got that song stuck in my head....."Spriiiing cleaning! Spriiiiiiiing cleaning!" and "R-E-C-Y-C-L-E, recycle!" I can't wait to see new Rocko. You know what trips me out? I don't like to wear graphic tees much these days but anytime I wear my Rocko's Modern Life t-shirt, and I mean every single time I wear it, I get compliments from strangers and most of them end up being women which blows my mind. Why? As a kid, I don't honestly recall many girls watching Rocko and if they did, they never admitted it. But as an adult, I've come to realize that a ton of women actually really loved Rocko's Modern Life when growing up which I think is awesome. Rocko fans always seem to come out of the woodwork when I throw that shirt on my back lol.

This is fucking amazing! I've been introducing my kids to this series and we watch random episodes together on the weekends. This I look forward to watching with them.

Same here. I got my 8 year old into 90s Nicktoons a few years ago and she loves Rocko and Hey Arnold! which means she's really gonna love watching the new Rocko and Hey Arnold! movies with me.

Now wheres my Courage the Cowardly Dog TV movie?

Cartoon Network doesn't care about nostalgic reboots unless it's PPG, and look at how that turned out.

This actually sounds fun. Rocko as an anxious technological determinist while Filburt is chill with it is great. I hope the kids will be in it.

ExVicis

Yeah yeah yeah that's good and all but why is there no mention of the Cheese? He's the best character on the show.

Blues1990

I never did see the final episode, as (for some reason) I must've missed out.

Rocko was launched into outer space as a series finale?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I never did see the final episode, as (for some reason) I must've missed out.

Rocko was launched into outer space as a series finale?

Yep. It's the one where Filbert and Hutchinson's kids, now grown adults, hear the story from him on how Rocko disappeared. It ends with the three of them going into space, supposedly meant to set up space adventures but nothing came from that.
It wasn't the final final episode to air, that was the Thanksgiving one (delayed I'm guessing).
We didn't know it was meant to be the finale since Nickelodoen had this ass-backwards policy where shows couldn't acknowledge they were ending so they could "rerun them forever and kids won't know". Angry Beavers wanted to have their finale be a fourth-wall breaking clusterfuck, but Nick said "NO" and it never got made.

Obviously they've since changed their stance on that, but it's still stupid.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yep. It's the one where Filbert and Hutchinson's kids, now grown adults, hear the story from him on how Rocko disappeared. It ends with the three of them going into space, supposedly meant to set up space adventures but nothing came from that.
It wasn't the final final episode to air, that was the Thanksgiving one (delayed I'm guessing).
We didn't know it was meant to be the finale since Nickelodoen had this ass-backwards policy where shows couldn't acknowledge they were ending so they could "rerun them forever and kids won't know". Angry Beavers wanted to have their finale be a fourth-wall breaking clusterfuck, but Nick said "NO" and it never got made.

Obviously they've since changed their stance on that, but it's still stupid.

Luckily we have the audio, and it's glorious.

It's Rocko, so I'm kind of expecting them to turn that premise on it's ear, but as it stands that sounds just... so fucking tired and boring. I was totally expecting a thread of people going "Oh great more of this 'kids and their internets' shit" but it looks like people are excited, so hopefully it won't be as lame as it sounds. I was never super into Rocko but my girlfriend absolutely adores it so for her sake I hope it's good. *crosses fingers*

I'm really excited to see what all these revived Nicktoons will look like. Gonna be so nice to get Zim in HD. Hopefully this, Zim, and Hey, Arnold! do well so we can get stuff like Aaahh! Real Monsters and Angry Beavers!

Poor Doug ;__;

It's Rocko, so I'm kind of expecting them to turn that premise on it's ear, but as it stands that sounds just... so fucking tired and boring. I was totally expecting a thread of people going "Oh great more of this 'kids and their internets' shit" but it looks like people are excited, so hopefully it won't be as lame as it sounds. I was never super into Rocko but my girlfriend absolutely adores it so for her sake I hope it's good. *crosses fingers*

I'm really excited to see what all these revived Nicktoons will look like. Gonna be so nice to get Zim in HD. Hopefully this, Zim, and Hey, Arnold! do well so we can get stuff like Aaahh! Real Monsters and Angry Beavers!

Poor Doug ;__;
Does Disney still own Doug?

Does Disney still own Doug?

Pretty sure they do but who knows what they plan on doing with him, if anything. I've asked around but I'm totally lost on how the rights work for it anymore and nobody I've talked to seems to know either. Like does Nick own the rights to the old Doug, and Disney just has Brand Spanking New Doug? If that's the case, who owns Doug himself? Nick can clearly still sell original Doug stuff (Amazon has the Nicktoons series on DVD, both a complete set and individual seasons, plus digital) so could they... produce new stuff using the old Doug? Or does Disney even want Doug anymore, were the rights sold back?

I was just at Nick about a month ago and they have a room with all kinds of old production artwork and pitch bibles, I got to thumb through the Doug pitch book. I loved that show! I also had NO idea that Mr Dink's last name was a joke until I looked at the book, Double Income No Kids. Huh-hah!

Cartoon Network doesn't care about nostalgic reboots unless it's PPG, and look at how that turned out.

This actually sounds fun. Rocko as an anxious technological determinist while Filburt is chill with it is great. I hope the kids will be in it.

And Samurai Jack, but that was shit as well.

I no longer have faith in revivals so I'm not sure this will turn out good

Top Bottom