• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nickelodeon greenlights Rocko's Modern Life TV Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExVicis

Eh we'll see how this. Everyone else may have forgotten but I remember a little show called Camp Lazlo and if that show is any indication I'm resending cautious.

i just hope that the guy who did heffer's voice can do it again, he tried doing it at a con a few years back and it sounded really really off (but then again i understand that its been almost 15 + years since doing it... and doing spongebob can really hurt the voice)
Tom Kenny destroyed his voice by doing the SpongeBob laugh from the early seasons. He would hit his adams apple to get that noise. For a while he adjusted it to stop needing to do that and sometimes they'll use canned laughter.

Camjo-Z

Admittedly I was never a huge fan of Rocko as a kid but I'm glad to see that between this and Hey Arnold, Nick is continuing to dig back into their older series AND get the original creators involved.

Kintor

Banned
Very pleased to see Nickelodeon revising their classic shows. The 90s to mid-00s was a truly awesome time for TV animation and Nickelodeon's output was a big part of that achievement.

Besides just think...

Yesterday it was Hey Arnold! Today it's Rocko's Modern Life. Soon it might be time for Invader Zim to make its triumphant return to TV.

Few cartoons have a cult following to match the zeal of the Invader Zim fanbase. With all these other revivals going on Nickelodeon will have to address the demand for more Invader Zim sooner or later.

Very pleased to see Nickelodeon revising their classic shows. The 90s to mid-00s was a truly awesome time for TV animation and Nickelodeon's output was a big part of that achievement.

Besides just think...

Yesterday it was Hey Arnold! Today it's Rocko's Modern Life. Soon it might be time for Invader Zim to make its triumphant return to TV.

Few cartoons have a cult following to match the zeal of the Invader Zim fanbase. With all these other revivals going on Nickelodeon will have to address the demand for more Invader Zim sooner or later.
Klasky Csupo is in talks with Nick to bring back Rugrats. After Rugrats Gone Wild failed miserably, Nick cut ties with Klasky Csupo and the studio fell apart. It was revived in the last few years and the 90s revivalism at Nick has thawed relations with a lot of old people (Craig Bartlett, creator of Hey Arnold had a falling out after the Jungle Movie was originally cancelled).

Arlene Klasky implied at Comic Con that a project was underway with Nick. Its not know if it's a reboot, a continuation, or a sequel. Honestly I'm hoping for a Fuller House/Girl Meets World type of show.

ExVicis

Klasky Csupo is in talks with Nick to bring back Rugrats. After Rugrats Gone Wild failed miserably, Nick cut ties with Klasky Csupo and the studio fell apart. It was revived in the last few years and the 90s revivalism at Nick has thawed relations with a lot of old people (Craig Bartlett, creator of Hey Arnold had a falling out after the Jungle Movie was originally cancelled).

Arlene Klasky implied at Comic Con that a project was underway with Nick. Its not know if it's a reboot, a continuation, or a sequel. Honestly I'm hoping for a Fuller House/Girl Meets World type of show.
I thought Klasky and Csupo divorced. They still work together?

ExVicis

Yes they do. They reconciled personally and professionally (but didn't remarry or date again).
Wow, I had no idea. I feel like that would have been really awkward initially. I remember hearing about that and thought the studio was done for but I guess not.

But if it means we can get Klasky-Csupo cartoons I'm all for it. Looking forward to the revival of Rugrats
bring back and finish Duckman

Kintor

Banned

Cool, I had no idea Rugrats might be coming back as well. Out of anything Nickelodeon did in the 90s Rugrats has to be one of their best shows. I admit that I have a certain soft-spot for Rugrats. On papers it doesn't sound like something that I would want to watch, a cartoon about toddlers and their overactive imaginations, but there's just something so sincere and likeable about Rugrats.

I look forward to Rugrats return then. Of course, I'm still holding out for Invader Zim as well.

Kintor

Banned
I think Vasquez is done with that. I remember hearing by Franchise's end he hated what it had started to become in Pop Culture.
Yeah, the untimely end of Invader Zim is well documented. Vasquez's hatred for Nickelodeon is entirely justified as far as I'm concerned. With that said, there's still the recent matter of the new Invader Zim comic book series which began earlier this year. From what I understand Vasquez is involved as a writer on the Invader Zim comic, which could suggest that Nickelodeon has begun to make amends. So, I think that the chances of seeing more Invader Zim being animated are better now than at any time in the last decade.

Edit: Woops, turns out the Invader Zim comic began last year. My bad, should've double checked the date of the first issue before making this post.

Garuroh

Eh... I don't know how to feel about Nick making movies for old shows like Hey Arnold! or Rocko. Both are good but very "90's".

Eh... I don't know how to feel about Nick making movies for old shows like Hey Arnold! or Rocko. Both are good but very "90's".
Honestly Hey Arnold is the only one of the bunch that feels timeless to me (except the beepers). Maybe Rugrats too, but I find it harder to engage with Rugrats as an adult than I do with Hey Arnold.

I feel like the style of humor in Rocko's Modern Life would do very well today, especially with there being so many cartoons that are meant for adults. Plus there's stuff like Adventure Time, Regular Show, and so on that have appeal to all ages which Rocko fits in with more.

Garuroh

Honestly Hey Arnold is the only one of the bunch that feels timeless to me (except the beepers). Maybe Rugrats too, but I find it harder to engage with Rugrats as an adult than I do with Hey Arnold.

Yup but Hey Arnold still has this very 90's aesthetic. In one hand, trying to modernize it would be bad but in other,the clothes,music and characters are not very relatable with kids today

Richie

Yup but Hey Arnold still has this very 90's aesthetic. In one hand, trying to modernize it would be bad but in other,the clothes,music and characters are not very relatable with kids today

I don't think the music nor the clothes were very representative of the 90's. What other cartoon at the time had a jazz soundtrack? Arnold's sense of fashion always seemed out of the ordinary, certainly not following on the decade's trends' steps. The characters may just be the most timeless aspect of the series, individuals that were quirky yet human then and are still so today.

_Ryo_

Rocko and Annimaniacs are the two 90s cartoons that are perfect for today's audience. Both are shows with a lot of adult humor, but children can still watch them.

kewlmyc

What's up with all this 90s/early 00s pandering as of late?

PPG is back
Teen Titans is back
Samurai Jack is back
FLCL is back
Hey Arnold is back
and now Rocko's back

It's not a bad thing, just wondering what brought this about?

PPG is back
Teen Titans is back
Samurai Jack is back
FLCL is back
Hey Arnold is back
and now Rocko's back

Nickelodeon is doing all this revival stuff because of anniversary reasons or maybe they're just desperate.

Please be good, please be good, please be good.

This is fantastic news.

SfpNJVA.gif

He's completely... NAAAAAAAAKEEEEEED.

Blues1990

I watched alot of Beavis and Butthead around the time of this show, and I never caught on to that.

Trying to find the episode where Rocko had to go to the DMV and people kept saying "hope ya don't get the fat guy!"

The episode in question is "Skid Marks". And that was such as weird joke, as everyone at the DMV kept telling Rocko that. Hell, even Rocko's instructor was all "You vill take notes, in order zat you vill prepare yourself for your driver's test... (walks out and closes the door, but then reopens it) AND GOD HELP IF YOU GET THE FAT GUY!!!" (slams the door)

PPG is back
Teen Titans is back
Samurai Jack is back
FLCL is back
Hey Arnold is back
and now Rocko's back

They're old enough to be nostalgic about and recognizable enough for these companies to reboot with name recognition.

PPG is back
Teen Titans is back
Samurai Jack is back
FLCL is back
Hey Arnold is back
and now Rocko's back

Okay, I'm going to lift this rock out from above me and take a look.

Zubz

Banned

Oh wow, they actually are picking up from the original "20 years later" finale. I wonder if they'll go heavy with the Zeerust like that episode did or if they'll just handwave it so a 90s Rocko is baffled at 2016 culture. This sounds like it can get pretty cringey, super fast, but hopefully it'd be done well.

Okay, I'm going to lift this rock out from above me and take a look.

FLCL Seasons 2-3 aren't out yet, so there's nothing to see but a plot summary and that The Pillows are back.

With Teen Titans, though... If you've already looked it up, let me be the first one to express my sympathies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom