• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fumita Ueda is a sexist or: Why Females Don't Wear Pants or have grip strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

From a relatively recent interview with Team ICO's Fumito Ueda:

Early in development, the main character in The Last Guardian was female, but the team ended up going with a boy. The reason: they thought it would be more realistic that he would have enough grip strength to be able to climb around, and because they wouldn't have to worry about camera angles with a girl who wears a skirt.

http://www.1up.com/news/fumito-ueda-last-guardian-trivia-new-projects

Welp, I sure hope he was just joking about his team's "reasoning" for not going with a female protagonist...

mclaren777

I think that reasoning is perfectly sound and I don't understand why people are making such a big deal out of this.

7Th

mclaren777 said:
I think that reasoning is perfectly sound and I don't understand why people are making such a big deal out of this.

Boys don't have significantly more strength than girls at such a young age.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Given that both of his previous games were about saving helpless girls, I'm pretty sure that's his actual reasoning.

7Th said:
Boys don't have significatly more strenght than girls at such a young age.
Hell, at that age girls are often bigger.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Girls can wear pants too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
female character would've been cool... and the reasoning for not going in that direction is smh worthy.

iammeiam

There's a joke somewhere in a Japanese video game being redesigned to avoid underage up-skirt shots.

The grip-strength reasoning is disappointing, since... it doesn't make a lot of sense. And it's too bad they couldn't just give her pants, but as long as the game is awesome I'll survive.

Jerk

Banned
Nirolak said:
Given that both of his previous games were about saving helpless girls, I'm pretty sure that's his actual reasoning.

Their actual degree of helplessness combined with his current statement says a lot about him.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Segata Sanshiro said:
Why does having a female character necessarily entail having a skirt again?
How else can you tell which bathroom you are supposed to go in?

iammeiam said:
There's a joke somewhere in a Japanese video game being redesigned to avoid underage up-skirt shots.

According to Warning: a huge podcast... intentional upskirt shots actually are recently a sensetive issue for CERO

mr_nothin

Banned
Also, I think Fumito said the skirt thing in a joking manner....(and I think he was referencing the asian market when he said it).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mr_nothin said:
And if it's wearing pants then it might as well be a boy.

Or a girl. No reason to be either.

Salsa

Would have been better, after 2 games in a row where you save a helpless woman who can do shit by themselves (ICO) :lol

Yeah, that's not good for him.

Wow. All you can do is shake your head at that kind of reasoning.

1) at that age there's not often a huge difference in strength if at all
2) it's not like we're looking at a super-buff boy or anything
3) you're dealing with a mythical creature that eats barrels and you can't make a girl able to climb onto something?
4) girls can wear shorts or pants

Baffling excuses. Why even bring up the subject when that's the truth behind it?

mr_nothin

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
The Scotts might disagree.
cosmicblizzard said:
I look pretty awesome in a kilt.
x59t28.gif

Amir0x

Banned
they wouldn't have to worry about camera angles with a girl who wears a skirt.

EXHIBIT A:

Gaucho-Pants.jpg

A girl with pants!

The reason: they thought it would be more realistic that he would have enough grip strength to be able to climb around

EXHIBIT B:

FemaleClimber.jpg

LaraClimb.jpg

Females that climb, in both game and real world form!

What fucking bullshit backward shit this crap is.

7Th

Kagari said:
This is actually old news that was mentioned back at TGS. 7th fails.

The quote got drowned in circlejerking after a single page, I'm just "saving" it for GAF posterity.

anaron

The reason: they thought it would be more realistic that he would have enough grip strength to be able to climb around, and because they wouldn't have to worry about camera angles with a girl who wears a skirt.

34e8hm8.jpg

Respect for Ueda-1000

lyre

ICO's original protagonist was supposed to be female as well but was changed during development also for extremely retarded reasons.

Lesson to learn: Ueda consists entirely of farking retarded reasoning.

And skirts rock. Boy should totally rock out in a skirt
and thigh high stockings

And here we go with the title change.

(Shadow of the Colossus ended with a woman waking up after being saved by her boyfriend and immediately accepting life as a mother taking care of what appeared to be a random baby without question)

Wario64 said:
News to me, this is why we shouldnt have megathreads right? :p

I'm pretty sure that it was mentioned in one of the interviews where a new thread was started. So it wasn't in a megathread. It just wasn't something that people found to be all that interesting in those threads.

Amir0x

Banned
hxa155 said:
i dont think girls wearing pants will fit in that world anyway

um, what? The style in these games seems like some weird mix of Mongolian/Peruvian, and certainly females in those societies wore slacks and other heavy clothing, particularly during colder seasons.

Even out of colder seasons, though, it is not at all uncommon for females to wear things other than skirts.

I mean jesus fucking christ

ILikeFeet

Banned
lyre said:
ICO's original protagonist was supposed to be female as well but was changed during development also for extremely retarded reasons.

and thigh high stockings

as much sd I love seeing women in thigh high stockings, I don't know how a male would look in them

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
lyre said:

and thigh high stockings
That kind of made sense given that he basically held hands with Yorda for the entire game. It gave the game a Bridge to Terabithia vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom