• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fumita Ueda is a sexist or: Why Females Don't Wear Pants or have grip strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

7Th said:
Does he look older than 13 to you?
Not really, but it's often hard to tell the age of Japanese character designs.

It's hard to tell if Ueda was being serious or he was joking about it just from the text.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If we're actually taking this seriously... I don't think it's THAT sexist.

This ain't a contemporary game... it's set in a fantasy society that, like most traditional real world societies, probably proscribes different clothing for men and women.

I actually think it's silly that all historical/fantastical worlds must now apply modern standards of equality.

Besides... female "male-like action hero with breasts" are over-represented in this genre. How about a few girlie girls here and there?

Finaika

Branduil said:
Not really, but it's often hard to tell the age of Japanese character designs.

It's hard to tell if Ueda was being serious or he was joking about it just from the text.
He was being serious, there was no "lol" at the end of the text.

Weird reasoning because it's a video game first of all, and secondly, I would think that no human being can do the things the main dude in Shadow of the Colossus does.

BocoDragon said:
Besides... female "male-like action hero with breasts" are over-represented in this genre. How about a few girlie girls here and there?

But he didn't put a girlie-girl in. He didn't put any girl in.

Besides this one probably wouldn't have been especially "tough", unless you're saying someone can't be girly and self-sufficient at the same time.

Kusagari

BocoDragon said:

So, if a girl wears pants she can't be a girlie girl? :lol :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i would have found looking up her skirt very distracting, and it would have made me remember what a raging, tightly wound heterosexual pile of hormones i am. i'm glad they switched it to the boy, so i can be less distracted, only occasionally gazing at his soft features and questioning my sexuality.

Amir0x

Banned
BocoDragon said:

This ain't a contemporary game... it's set in a fantasy society that, like most traditional real world societies, probably proscribes different clothing for men and women.

I actually think it's silly that all historical/fantastical worlds must now apply to modern standards of equality.

um what the hell does wearing pants or a skirt have to do with the society's relative level of equality? Is there some mandatory skirt-wearing law in some society I should know about?

Hell, where do we go off ascribing certain values to these societies anyway? Societies which, I might remind you, are almost completely absent from all these games outside of the few briefest tantalizing hints.

And what the fuck does that have to do with the ability to CLIMB? Obviously, they originally were going to go with a female character so societal considerations is a bullshit excuse, but was there some societal limitation on the strength of a female now? Are females born to certain societies automatically unable to climb for any period of time?

Fucking absurd :lol

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
BocoDragon said:

I actually think it's silly that all historical/fantastical worlds must now apply modern standards of equality.

Ugh.

There's a difference between representing "classically feminine" women, and basically outright stating that a woman in Ueda's universe is physically incapable of a pullup.

Jerk

Banned
BocoDragon said:

Which genre is this?

How are they overrepresented?

How do we know that this hypothetical character is 'male-like action hero with breasts?'

Finaika said:
He was being serious, there was no "lol" at the end of the text.

11:54
bashcraft: When they started, Ueda was thinking of making the young character of The Last Guardian a girl.
11:55
bashcraft: But if it was a boy, he would have a little more power to grip
11:55
McWhertor: Plus, girl's wear skirts, he says. You can see where this is going.

http://kotaku.com/5639426/team-ico-presents-at-tokyo-game-show-live

When you read that it sounds like something that he just threw in as a joke (the skirt issue). Not something that he was meaning to be serious.

I think he made a conscious (and good) decision. I tried my darnest to peek under Lightning, Fang and Vanille's skirts every time I got a chance to control them. Lightning has hot pants under her skirt, Fang has black panties and Vanille has a
what?

Alucrid

Banned
Amir0x said:
EXHIBIT A:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/Gaucho-Pants.jpg[IMG]

A girl with pants!

[b]EXHIBIT B[/b]:

[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/FemaleClimber.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/LaraClimb.jpg[IMG]

Females that climb, in both game and real world form!

What fucking bullshit backward shit this crap is.[/QUOTE]

Those are like...capris...weird ones at that.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Which genre is this?

How are they overrepresented?

How do we know that this hypothetical character is 'male-like action hero with breasts?'

It's like he's reacting to something that hasn't even though it hasn't happened yet.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Should we grab our pitchforks?

I think it's about time GAF decided if Ueda's first name is Fumita, Fumito, Fumitu or Fumitsu.

come on guys, look underneath what he said. Ueda certainly like the male female dynamic seen in his previous work with Ico and Yorda, and Wander and Mono. obviously he'd like to continue that dynamic by having the two main character's opposite sex. now if the main character in LG is a girl, then the creature had to be a male, and they obviously want to avoid having to model giant dick and balls.:D

Amir0x said:
Females that climb, in both game and real world form!

What fucking bullshit backward shit this crap is.
I don't agree with his strength crap. But the skirt issue does kinda makes sense. Maybe in Ico world, pants aren't invented?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Grip strength, you say?

mirrorsedge_zps406c1136.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I am just so fucking angry about the gender chosen for the preteen protagonist of a videogame!!

that doesn't matter at all. What matters is the REASON the gender was chosen

RustyNail said:
I don't agree with his strength crap. But the skirt issue does kinda makes sense. Maybe in Ico world, pants aren't invented?

In pretty much any conceivable era you would think to place this in, there were outfits for females that covered everything, including pants. This is ridiculous

Alucrid said:
Wait, what? Yes they do.

you don't say :eek:

JDSN

Banned
Callibretto said:
come on guys, look underneath what he said. Ueda certainly like the male female dynamic seen in his previous work with Ico and Yorda, and Wander and Mono. obviously he'd like to continue that dynamic by having the two main character's opposite sex. now if the main character in LG is a girl, then the creature had to be a male, and they obviously want to avoid having to model giant dick and balls.:D
Yep, work of art I tell you.

Edit: This Gaf hivemind bullshit should become bannable.

Johnas

Brazil said:
Should we grab our pitchforks?

I think it's about time GAF decided if Ueda's first name is Fumita, Fumito, Fumitu or Fumitsu.

Famitsu?

It's amazing how quickly people get riled up over something so innocuous.

Xilium

Cultural differences?

I could be wrong but don't most schoolgirls in Japan still were skirts (Uniform dress code and all)? When the Japanese think of a young female, they probably automatically picture her in school uniform.

Either way, I don't think it was meant to be a sexist remark and does it really matter? As mentioned in this thread, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a young boy and a young girl and I doubt the gender would play any major role in the story. Seems like a whole lot to do about nothing to me.

Finaika

Xilium said:
Cultural differences?

I could be wrong but don't most schoolgirls in Japan still were skirts (Uniform dress code and all)? When the Japanese think of a young female, they probably automatically picture her in school uniform.

Either way, I don't think it was meant to be a sexist remark and does it really matter? As mentioned in this thread, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a young boy and a young girl and I doubt the gender would play any major role in the story. Seems like a whole lot to do about nothing to me.
Make her wear bloomers then.

The whole "all else equal, a woman has less strength than a man" seems to be just an unshakable truth in Japan. It's almost as odd as the absolute insistence by anime and manga authors that black athletes have different muscles, EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Finaika said:
Girls don't have enough grip strength?
Honestly, with how video games work its not like men do either.

I'm not really bothered. And yes, men have stronger hands than women do on average. That's the truth, who gives a fuck.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
FoxSpirit said:
Could people PLEASE think of the fact he lives in Japan??

Girls=skirts there, ok? Simply a cultural thing.

is this that place with the fish, you know, that they don't cook??? and kimonos??

Zomba13

Amir0x said:
EXHIBIT A:

Gaucho-Pants.jpg

A girl with pants!
If those are the pants you'd want the girl to wear if she was the main character I'm glad it's a boy. Those are damn ugly things.

FoxSpirit said:
Could people PLEASE think of the fact he lives in Japan??

Girls=skirts there, ok? Simply a cultural thing.
Uh, no. In fact, the girls who *do* wear skirts here tend to wear pants, jeans, or leggings in addition to them. Don't confuse the school uniforms for general fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom