• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gainax's new TV show: Hiroyuki Imaishi's "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

GlybZ.png

What is Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt?
Hiroyuki Imaishi and Gainax's new animated show. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is a 26 12-minute episodes show that come October 1st will be airing in 13 blocks featuring two episodes each.

Who is Hiroyuki Imaishi?
Fun-loving, super-star animator and director that is well-known for doing crazy fast-paced, fun-filled cartoons. He first became notorious with the infamous episode 19 of KareKano, which he wrote, directed, storyboarded, colored and animated, but he is best-known among the English-speaking anime fandom as the series director of Gurren-Lagann.

What is Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt about?
A bunch of bros getting together to come-up with the craziest possible jokes and action sequences.

No, really.
A group of "ghosts", creatures formed out of human desire and hatred, has appeared in Daten City, a place filled with sin and crime. Two angels, Panty and Stocking, are sent from heaven to exterminate them. In reality, though, Panty and Stocking got kicked out by the powers above for their bad behavior.

Who are Panty & Stocking, anyway?
Vd7XZ.jpg

Where can I watch it?
http://www.crunchyroll.com/pantystocking

Staff
Director: Hiroyuki Imaishi (FLCL episode 4, Dead Leaves, Gurren-Lagann)
Assistant Director: Masahiko Ootsuka (Whisper of the Heart, Pom Poko, Gurren-Lagann)
Series Composition: Geek Fleet (AKA: Imaishi and his bros)
Character Designer: Atsushi Nishigori (Gurren-Lagann)
Concept Art: Yoh Yoshinari (Valkyrie Profile, Gurren-Lagann)
Visual Coordinator: Shigeto Koyama (Gurren-Lagann, Heroman, Star Driver)
Concept Planner: Hiromi Wakabayashi (Gurren-Lagann)
Music: Taku Takahashi (m-flo) & TCY Crew

7Th

The titles for the first episode are pretty damn cool:

gT4zL.jpg

TUZmO.jpg

Dabookerman said:
Aww man. I can't wank to this!
:(

You can always wank to the insane, more traditional-looking, transformation sequence!

j2so4.jpg

watatatow

7Th said:
You can always wank to the insane, more traditional-looking, transformation sequence!
Link please?

Youtube search only gets me videos like "Hot Shemale Ladyboy in Pantyhose and Thigh High Boots".

7Th

watatatow said:
Link please?

Youtube search only gets me videos like "Hot Shemale Ladyboy in Pantyhose and Thigh High Boots".

Be patient, the first episode just finished airing in Japan!

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Dabookerman said:
Aww man. I can't wank to this!
:(
I feel the same way.

The traditional (lol) style is kinda doing it for me but it's too bright. It hurts my eyes when I look at it for long periods of time.

So when does this air, or has it? I wish they would have gone with the other style. :(

Foxix Von

It'll be up free on crunchyroll in a week, it just aired... like right now. I think if your subscribed to crunchyroll you'll be able to watch it in a few minutes?

As for the artstyle, it's supposed to be a goofy japanese take on american cartoons right? That's why it's so... odd looking, in a good way though :lol

7Th

Foxix said:
It'll be up free on crunchyroll in a week, it just aired... like right now. I think if your subscribed to crunchyroll you'll be able to watch it in a few minutes?

I think so, yes. (Only if you're American, though.)

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Foxix said:

As for the artstyle, it's supposed to be a goofy japanese take on american cartoons right? That's why it's so... odd looking, in a good way though :lol
It's probably a take on the Power Puff girls or on CN-like shows in general.

EDIT: I just noticed the Y in Panty.

Foxix Von

Vox-Pop said:
It's probably a take on the Power Puff girls or on CN-like shows in general.

EDIT: I just noticed the Y in Panty.

Looks that way, but the way the did the some of the animation (from what I can tell in the trailer) it's sort of like those awful flash looking cartoons (Foster's being an exception) like johny test. So yeah low budget CN stuff.

Looks effing awesome can't wait.

Seems a little too crazy for me, but I like the art and it's Gainax. So I'll watch the first few episodes.

And yeah, I like the art in the transformation sequence posted.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
More PowaPuff, less animu is always welcome.

Sidenote: I can't believe bloggers are covering My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute yet not this because it looks "un-anime-like".

Dresden

Regulus Tera said:
Sidenote: I can't believe bloggers are covering My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute yet not this because it looks "un-anime-like".
I doubt bloggers who do that are worth reading at all.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Regulus Tera said:
More PowaPuff, less animu is always welcome.

Who reads blogs anyways?

Chorazin

Oh yeah, this is the show that ripped off Lenore and Gir designs that had Ronan Dirge and Johnen Vasquez in an uproar a while back.

Dresden

Chorazin said:
Oh yeah, this is the show that ripped off Lenore and Gir designs that had Ronan Dirge and Johnen Vasquez in an uproar a while back.
I... don't see the resemblance.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Chorazin said:
Well I could see something Gir-ish a bit in the trailer, but I see nothing that looks like Lenore in there.

Chorazin

InfiniteNine said:
Well I could see something Gir-ish a bit in the trailer, but I see nothing that looks like Lenore in there.

I think he was claming that the goth girl's stuffed animal looked just like Lenore's.

EDIT: But if you check out the character design page, the green dog thing looks an awwwwwful lot like Gir. Unless it's changed since then it was pretty blatant.

EDIT 2: I'm still gonna watch it though. :lol

7Th

Wow, the first episode was pure, undistilled Imaishi. Dead Leaves' insane pseudo-American daughter, so to speak.

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
After seeing that I kinda wish the whole show was drawn like that. ):
They don't like to hark on the "traditional" style long, when there's craziness to be done.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jexhius said:
They don't like to hark on the "traditional" style long, when there's craziness to be done.
Yeah, this style will convey the craziness a lot more. I just really like how they look in the traditional style.

Reknoc

The first episode was amazing, pretty much exactly what I expected from the trailers.

There's totally a Gir in it aswell.

Weird. The art style in that first pic looks like Western cartoons emulating anime which is......not good. Still, it's Gainax so GIMME!

EDIT: The youtube clip was sufficiently crazy. Will have to find this later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom