• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser known XBLA title recommendations

amitlu

Banned
Seconding RooGoo!

roogoohands490-1.jpg

At first glance it's a simple blocks into holes game, but it gets crazy and awesome.

Gaspode_T

What's strange is that many of these games being recommended here, including RooGoo and Go go break steady are literally at the very bottom of the entire Top Rated list. It goes to show how worthless those rankings can be.

I ended up buying a XBLA game that is definitely in the 'lesser known' category but hopefully still has some people playing it online..

Chessmaster Live

That game is about the least I expected to buy but I thought I might be able to use it to help polish up my non-existant Chess skills as I'm currently playing and losing badly to a GAF legend in mobile "Chess with Friends" app.

The other reason I bought it is the puzzle mode seemed interesting, kind of like puzzles in Clash of Heroes.

I enjoyed Jetpac Refueled a lot. The game gets zero attention, but it's packed with tons of content, it has nice graphics, and it's pretty challenging. Great value for five bucks.

XLant

Neo Member
Heard of Bangai-O? It's classic Treasure throwback gameplay, and a better Robotech/Macross game than Robotech/Macross games. (No transforming, but in terms of streaming missile showers)

Bangai-O%20HD%20Missile%20Fury%205--article_image.jpg

If you like fast and frenzied arcade action this is a great [and affordable] place to start.

XLant said:
Heard of Bangai-O? It's classic Treasure throwback gameplay, and a better Robotech/Macross game than Robotech/Macross games. (No transforming, but in terms of streaming missile showers)

Bangai-O%20HD%20Missile%20Fury%205--article_image.jpg

If you like fast and frenzied arcade action this is a great [and affordable] place to start.
Seriously how did this not show up til page 3? This game is awesome.

xbhaskarx

Five recommendations:

Ilomilo
Omega 5
PB Winterbottom
Lazy Raiders
Lode Runner

At least check out the free trials for all of those.

Shalashaska161 said:
Seriously how did this not show up til page 3? This game is awesome.
'cause it wasn't released for most of page one and two!

I trialled it when it came out, it probably has the worst trial of any XBLA game ever and if it sold hardly any copies I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Gaspode_T

xbhaskarx said:
Five recommendations:

Ilomilo
Omega 5
PB Winterbottom
Lazy Raiders
Lode Runner

At least check out the free trials for all of those.

What is Omega 5?

I think Ilomilo actually sold pretty well, Raskulls was maybe less than I expected it to sell :( Those trio of games - World of Keflings, Raskulls and Ilomilo unlock things in each other if you have all three of them. The unlocked things are really small but nice touch anyway.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely P.B. Winterbottom. So charming and creative.

Gaspode_T

Yeah I'm still hovering over R-Type, the price pisses me off but then again if this were 16-bit days we would have paid $69 for a game like R-Type or Strania and it would have been winning Game of the Year awards

I will check Omega 5 out, I already downloaded the trial for Triggerheart Exelcia too. I noticed KOF Sky Stage and a 3D remake of 1942 by Capcom, any impressions of those?

Daigoro

ill throw in Zombie Apocalypse.

a good twin stick shooter with a zombie twist, old shool style twin stick game.

Gaspode_T said:
I ended up buying a XBLA game that is definitely in the 'lesser known' category but hopefully still has some people playing it online..

Chessmaster Live

That game is about the least I expected to buy but I thought I might be able to use it to help polish up my non-existant Chess skills as I'm currently playing and losing badly to a GAF legend in mobile "Chess with Friends" app.

The other reason I bought it is the puzzle mode seemed interesting, kind of like puzzles in Clash of Heroes.

ive been wanting to pick Chessmaster up as well. its 800 though, right?

you're right about the price of some of these games. at 400 you'd think that they would sell a hell of a lot more than at 800 and up.

i wonder if any of the older games sell well at these prices? there are a lot of games id pick up if they got some sort of discount.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Lost Fragment said:
I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1

It's just a dollar.

Ohh god this!!!

Jet Pack Reloaded

Dishwasher dead samurai

Dorritos crash course (I actually liked this one, is it still free?? if so get it!)

Garou MoW

Pixel or Jump by Arkedo

Ikaruga

Trigger Heart Exelica

err

would say shadow complex and trails HD

shit this has made me realise how much money I spent on games versus how many I actually complete....wooo hooo :(

Adventures of Shuggy: http://www.extraguy.com/2011/06/adventures-of-shuggy/
Trouble Witches Neo: http://www.extraguy.com/2011/05/trouble-witches-neo/
Boulder-dash XL: http://www.pwnem.com/t-boulder-dash-xl-review
Strania: http://www.pwnem.com/t-strania-review

Guwange is also way good....but you already knew that.
Afterburner CLIMAX - Holy shit this game is hot. http://pepsimanvsjoe.blogspot.com/2010/04/aa-look-afterburner-climax.html
Harmony of Despair - Still good stuff aside from the cruddy DLC model http://pepsimanvsjoe.blogspot.com/2010/08/xbla-look-castlevania-harmony-of.html
Duke Nukem 3D is also excellent. Such a great port.

Gaspode_T

Garou MoW -> I was looking at the SNK fighters, KOF 98 seems to have the highest rated star reviews for some reason but I figured Garou or Neo Geo Battle Colliseum would be newer and more fun?? Samurai Showdown II would be awesome if there is anyone actually playing online. I am planning on getting BlazBlu as soon as I open up some space on my HDD by completing currently installed Games on Demand ver of Borderlands/Bayonetta :)

Another interesting factoid:

List of 1600 point games

Watchmen Part I (Part II is 1200)
Puzzle Quest Galactrix
Sam & Max Save the World
Sam & Max Beyond Space & Time

You can see prices and what games have been delisted by looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games

I know some of these probably aren't available in all countries though...

To Far Away Times said:
Also check out Trouble Witches Neo. I really liked the magic barrier mechanic in that game.
The one thing that puts me off with this game is the dumb uneven achievement points it gives out.

OCD fail.

Gaspode_T

Daigoro: I kind of doubt they will ever discount these 800 point games in a mass wave to 400 although that would make me so happy. Really the only people who ever buy them will probably be in a trickle like people who are reading this thread or have their arm twisted to go buy an older game by a friend, but if they lower tons of games to 400 then people will end up putting less money and have more games to play which is probably not what game publishers would want :)

There are certain games that I'm sure sell well over time, like Castle Crashers and Plants vs Zombies, so there's probably nearly 100% chance that those will never permanently drop in price. The ones that probably get 10 sales a month is what i scratch my head about, I would prefer they try dropping price than just delist them :)

The idea has always been that XBLA is a place to get creative and well made games for around $10 each, I don't think they want to bend to the pressure from mobile phone apps especially when Square is actually charging MORE on iOS for some of their games (FF3, FFT etc) that don't even have achievements. The problem I'm facing myself is there are way too many gaming options in front of me, and picking a $10 game on XBLA that's not new and getting lots of hype is less likely by the day...one of the only things that makes me consider it is that there's a real possibility of them being delisted.

Gaspode_T said:
Garou MoW -> I was looking at the SNK fighters, KOF 98 seems to have the highest rated star reviews for some reason but I figured Garou or Neo Geo Battle Colliseum would be newer and more fun?? Samurai Showdown II would be awesome if there is anyone actually playing online.
Just as a heads up, SNK's ports have some really bad netcode. Garou, KOF98, and Samsho II are still the classics that we remember, just don't expect the online modes to be great.

Decimation X3...its 80 pts, indie games section...ive put probably 50 hours into it and the original Decimation X, mindless arcade fun...really cant explain how relaxing it is to come home after a shitty tuesday at work, have a cold beer or two and listen to the bombcast while playing decimation

plus any of the radiangames' searies, each are 80 pts

Sectus

I'll second Shuggy. Gameplay wise, I'll say it's easily superior to Braid, Limbo and Winterbottom. Difficulty could be higher, but the variety in the game is insane. You could combine all the mechanics from the above games, and it still wouldn't compare with all the varied mechanics Shuggy throws at you. It's also a great game if you wanna compete for scores against friends. The only downside with the game is that the presentation and story is rather lackluster, but then again, that hardly matters in a puzzle platformer.

Speaking of puzzle platformers: Exit 1 and 2. The amount of levels both games have is absurd and the puzzle design is amazing. As far as I'm concerned, they're the best puzzle games ever made. The only downside is that the games can feel slow.

Metal Slug XX. Ignore the main mode. The mode main is fun but you'll beat it in an hour and not have a lot of reason to touch it again. Try the Combat School mode, that's where all the fun and variety is hidden in the game. Just be prepared that the game is haaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

Castlevania: HD. Super lots of fun in coop. Unfortunately, there's a lot of grinding if you wanna beat the final levels (DLC levels that is) at hard difficulty. Note that is this really a coop game. Play in singleplayer, and it'll become far less fun and stupidly hard.

Scrap Metal. If you were a fan of Death Rally, you'll like this. It's not a long game though.

Death Tank. Super fun "party" game. It is honestly a bad singleplayer game, so if you don't know anyone with it, it's pointless to get it.

I've recorded videos of some of the above games, so I might as well link to them for a quick impression how they play:

EXIT 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT2fl4bzx6k
Castlevania HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-0y74ApM4
Metal Slug XX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pognuXVB7nM
Death Tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40ae28gr4k

Gaspode_T

Wow thanks for videos, I have been waiting for both N+ and Exit to go on sale for a long time...doesn't seem like either will :(

I got Triggerheart Exelica and Jetpack Refuelled last night - both are pretty cool, but Strania is about 100000 times better than Triggerheart, I would only recommend Triggerheart to diehard shooter fans and even then those fans might complain it's too easy. Jetpack Refuelled is very fun, exactly my sort of game.

Drastic

Gaspode_T said:
... and a 3D remake of 1942 by Capcom, any impressions of those?

1942 Joint Strike is pretty fun, one of the few arcade games I go back and play, though I'm an old fan of 1941 in the arcade. Best played in co-op for joint strike ability, but not a necessity.

Tain

The 3D 1942 is pretty awful, especially compared to Strania, Triggerheart, Guwange, or KoF Sky Stage.

Seriously, Sky Stage isn't bad.

Sectus said:
Metal Slug XX. Ignore the main mode. The mode main is fun but you'll beat it in an hour and not have a lot of reason to touch it again.

Metal Slug 7/XX's design is very much in-line with the prior six Metal Slug games, which are all Japanese arcade games designed to be cleared without continuing. No way does the main mode in Metal Slug XX only last an hour.

Sectus

The game hasn't even been out for 12 hours yet but I'm betting all my socks it'll end up under appreciated and that's Crazy Machines. Anyone's played The Incredible Machine will feel right at home, it's basically that with a much more indepth physics engine. It's a shame it got released the same week as SF3 so there's no way it'll get any coverage.

I'm still baffled Microsoft insists on such a strict and arbitrary release schedule. Why not release games any day of the week? In exchange they could add a handy "What's new on XBLA" button on the dashboard which shows you videos or screenshots of any game released the last few days.

Tain said:
Metal Slug 7/XX's design is very much in-line with the prior six Metal Slug games, which are all Japanese arcade games designed to be cleared without continuing. No way does the main mode in Metal Slug XX only last an hour.
I just wanted to put emphasis on the combat school mode as that's really fun and has a lot of variety, but for some reason the game barely acknowledges it exists. I don't see anyone who's not a hardcore MS fan try to beat the story mode until they perfect it anyway. Unless you've got a ton of experience with MS, the game's gonna kick your ass.

Gaspode_T

Sectus said:
The game hasn't even been out for 12 hours yet but I'm betting all my socks it'll end up under appreciated and that's Crazy Machines. Anyone's played The Incredible Machine will feel right at home, it's basically that with a much more indepth physics engine. It's a shame it got released the same week as SF3 so there's no way it'll get any coverage.

I don't know how it works but I'm guessing that the publishers have the last say about releasing it or not on a certain date in all cases where the publisher is not MSFT. Maybe they are given some options but because of how many people want to release games they have to a wait a long time if they don't want it to be a certain date.

As anything this is the sort of thing that can be influenced with your wallet and your voices, if you care about the prices being low then you should somehow find people to complain to, if you don't like them high then you shouldn't buy them at high prices :) I can't resist though, so I'm going to break down and buy some of them like Puzzle Fighter that I've always wanted to.

Gaspode_T said:
I don't know how it works but I'm guessing that the publishers have the last say about releasing it or not on a certain date in all cases where the publisher is not MSFT. Maybe they are given some options but because of how many people want to release games they have to a wait a long time if they don't want it to be a certain date.
Well the Shuggy dev said he was given a choice of two dates to release, either March or whenever it was, or wait six months for September. So there's a choice, but not much choice.

Top Bottom