• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2010)

nn1qn5.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Online Book Stores

http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Blogs

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books

http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (October 2010)
What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

If you have some good links post them and i will put them in.

!!BOOK CLUB!!

??? <-- anyone know what the book is this month?

Salazar

WoT: The Shadow Rising.
The World as I Found It, by Bruce Duffy.
And, as soon as I get my hands on it, Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I might start reading again this month or at least finish stuff I have started. Caught up on some shit I have been meaning to do so i might have time now.

As for Book Club, go nuts i guess. Post some suggestions and see what gets the most interest.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Managed to get a lot of reading done in the past week or so. Finished.

71867.jpg
- Glad to finally finish this series off. Not much to say other then i was fairly satisfied with the conclusion.
6334.jpg
- The ending was really sad. Although it didn't quite hit me how sad it was, until i thought about it after i finished it.;_;
927979.jpg
- One of the best in the series. Mostly because it had all my favorite supporting characters! although i think most of the supporting cast appeared in this book.:lol looking forward to reading the next two!

Now reading or at least 3/4 through

Cordelia's Honor - Lois McMaster Bujold

I thought shards of honor was rather average, but barrayer on the other hand, unless it falls apart in the last 80 pages or so. Is a huge improvement, although i guess that's to be expected, with shards of honor being one of her first novels and all.:lol

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Not reading any prose this month while I hammer away at NaNoWriMo, but as always my comics reading continues apace. In terms of GNs, I'm currently in the middle of:

Starman Omnibus Vol 5 - Great throwback space opera fun, looks like Robinson had his eye on the DC Cosmic toybox and in this volume he lets rip. Lots of echoes of Moore's Swamp Thing run with the blue planet and then Adam Strange, but it's really good still.

Chew Vol 2 - finally got hold of this and I love it so much. Guilleroy's artwork is just on another level, it's almost as if the pages are moving.

RED - A Warren Ellis book I've not read before? Sold. I've had a flick through and the Cully Hamner art looks beautiful, although as my gf noted, the B/W pages at the back are probably even better than the coloured stuff in the book itself.

thomaser

51x-i5jDS7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Almost done with Aravind Adiga's The White Tiger. Very enjoyable and energetic. And funny AND dark.

Next up, Ibsen's The Master Builder. After that, maybe Kerouac's On the Road, the original, uncensored version. I've wanted to read it for 10-15 years, so I hope I won't be disappointed.

AnkitT

6334.jpg

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

51yQJaWc4AL.jpg

White Tiger - Aravind Adiga

Big-Short.jpg

The Big Short - Michael Lewis

Probably just gonna finish the first two, since my exams start in a weeks time.

Jarlaxle

Ender's Game

I'm enjoying it so far. I can kind of see a little how Card was upset with J.K. Rowling. Some definite similarities to HP here.

Angst

About 15 % in:
black-company-cover.jpg

Bought it based on recommendations in the October thread. Really liking it so far. Love the way everything is told from a single perspective.

Almost done with After Dark, moving on to The Corrections for the first time. All I know about the novel is that it deals with family. I really need to get away from the heavy for awhile (Bolano and McCarthy) :lol

murakami_after_dark.jpg
9780312421274.jpg

Nearly finished this collection of short stories. The initial few were okay but the latter ones, Sonny's Blues in particular, are amazing.
Going%20to%20meet%20the%20man.jpg

afternoon delight said:
I'm interested in what his material is like. I've heard the name, but no description of what he writes like, what he writes about, themes, etc. Worth reading?

Yeah amazing, his material is best known for covering identity, race relations and homosexuality. Writing style is also great, you should watch some youtube clips of him speaking, he was such an awesome character. I first read The Fire Next Time and this is the third or fourth title since, highly recommended.

Yeah amazing, his material is best known for covering identity, race relations and homosexuality. Writing style is also great, you should watch some youtube clips of him speaking, he was such an awesome character. I first read The Fire Next Time and this is the third or fourth title since, highly recommended.
Hell yeah. I loved Invisible Man by Ellison so I'm going to check these out sometime soon. Thanks hombre!

Coldsnap

51DQry5Qx5L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-9,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I really love Fitzgerald but I was unaware that the book turns into a play dialogue about half way through. I think I will stop there.

anwyle1804118041.jpg

Found this for free off Manybooks, giving it a read because I hear Daryl Hall was a druid nut.

Ace 8095

Fooled%20by%20randomness.jpg

Awesome book. Even though most topics a heavily influenced by finance it's a great read for anyone interested in probabilities.

k7922.gif

Using this as the backbone of my macroeconomics research paper. Only just begun but Shiller's genius is clearly apparent.

51WJ85ZBF3L.jpg

An intuitive understanding of options pricing models that avoids math above basic calculus, probability, and statistics. Liking it so far.

Book club idea - just throwing this out there but how about Stoner? Seems rather interesting, about $10 for both print and Kindle versions, I assume not too many people have read it, and NYRB Classics are beautifully printed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590171993/?tag=neogaf0e-20

"This reprint of Williams's remarkable 1965 novel offers a window on early 20th century higher education in addition to its rich characterizations and seamless prose. Sent by his hard-scrabble farmer father to the University of Missouri to study agriculture, William Stoner is sidetracked by an obsessive love of literature and stimulated by a curmudgeonly old professor, Archer Sloane. Sloane helps Stoner avoid service in WWI, and Stoner eventually becomes an assistant professor. He then meets and marries a St. Louis beauty, Edith, who quickly subjugates her contemplative, passive husband. As decades pass, Stoner entrenches himself deep into the life of the mind, developing into a master teacher but never finding solace in the outside world. Stoner's single joy is Grace, their daughter, whom Edith appropriates as a weapon in her very personal war against Stoner's quest for inner peace. Williams (1922–1994)"

Let me know if you're interested or have another book in mind. I'm not set on this book, just throwing it out there to gauge interest.

ngower

Hugbot said:

One of my favorite books! I just recently purchased it as I do not own it anymore and lent it to a friend, my favorite of his works that I've read.

For school I'll be reading:

51E%2BhbPZX9L._SS500_.jpg

51xOaNb9YPL._SS500_.jpg

chronic_city_l.jpg

41BNW0XKAVL._SS500_.jpg

...and assuming I have some leisure time...

cow-girls.jpg

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I have been reading Conrad Williams. I am currently finishing up "The Scalding Rooms" and will probably move onto Decay Inevitable or One, if Ian M Banks doesn't make me continue to read more culture novels.

scaldingrooms.jpg

charsace

23 Hours A Vengeful Vampire Tale

Its about a vampire hunter who goes to jail. Meanwhile the last vampire on earth is still alive and is out for revenge.

Coldsnap

Maklershed said:
Book club idea - just throwing this out there but how about Stoner? Seems rather interesting, about $10 for both print and Kindle versions, I assume not too many people have read it, and NYRB Classics are beautifully printed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590171993/?tag=neogaf0e-20

"This reprint of Williams's remarkable 1965 novel offers a window on early 20th century higher education in addition to its rich characterizations and seamless prose. Sent by his hard-scrabble farmer father to the University of Missouri to study agriculture, William Stoner is sidetracked by an obsessive love of literature and stimulated by a curmudgeonly old professor, Archer Sloane. Sloane helps Stoner avoid service in WWI, and Stoner eventually becomes an assistant professor. He then meets and marries a St. Louis beauty, Edith, who quickly subjugates her contemplative, passive husband. As decades pass, Stoner entrenches himself deep into the life of the mind, developing into a master teacher but never finding solace in the outside world. Stoner's single joy is Grace, their daughter, whom Edith appropriates as a weapon in her very personal war against Stoner's quest for inner peace. Williams (1922–1994)"

Let me know if you're interested or have another book in mind. I'm not set on this book, just throwing it out there to gauge interest.

I would partake in a book club, only prerequisite would be that the book is under $12.00 and available on the kindle. Stoner seems good

I'm on a historical fiction kick and I've just started reading:

Clan of the Cave Bear-Jean Auel
Has anyone read this? I know it's not quite historical fiction but I'm very interested in the time period. It is moving very slow for me...any thoughts?

Gates of Fire-Steven Pressfield
Really good so far-only started it yesterday.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'm reading this:

the-eye-of-the-world-by-robert-jordan-ebook.png

Karakand PMed me and suggested I check out the series. Is is good?

Dresden

If you run a fantasy book blog, you should probably check it out. It's only one of the most popular series out there.

Hugbot

ngower said:
One of my favorite books! I just recently purchased it as I do not own it anymore and lent it to a friend, my favorite of his works that I've read.
I am ~25 pages from the end and I love it. My favorite of his is probably Dance, Dance, Dance (despite not having read the Trilogy of the Rat), but it's up there for sure. He's far and away my favorite living author, it's a weird departure stylistically but it works really well.

aidan

Dresden said:
If you run a fantasy book blog, you should probably check it out. It's only one of the most popular series out there.

Just kidding.

;)

Doing an on-again-off-again re-read of the series in preparation for the final volume being released in 2012.

Sotha Sil

Dresden said:

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Also, no, fuck you. We are not to blame. Fuck our shitty, cowardly government's handling of the Rwanda crisis, and then we shall agree.

In other news, reading Hegel's Reason in History.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I haven't found anything interesting to read in months. I may just read some Oscar Wilde plays again...

aidan

Dresden said:
I'd bitterly wage internet warfare against you if you weren't a Daniel Abraham fan.

I'm hatching a plan to have his babies as we speak. If that doesn't work, I'll settle for an ARC of The Dragon's Path.

Sotha Sil

aidan said:
I'm hatching a plan to have his babies as we speak. If that doesn't work, I'll settle for an ARC of The Dragon's Path.

So, so excited for The Dragon's Path! April can't come fast enough.

Finished:

3391271.jpg

A second-hand fable and well-worn pastiche of military fantasy (a mixture of top-down politicking and Cook-like squad emphasis) meets historical fiction which would have faltered in lesser hands. Kearney's narrative is a lean, vibrant thing at odds with the disturbing tendency toward padding amongst some within the epic fantasy sub-genre. Some equivalence with David Gemmell could be made, but his prose soars at a higher class. And while there are issues to be had with the characterization and certain aspects of the ending, it's a well-choreographed account from the mind of an exhilarating storyteller.

aidan said:
I'm reading this:

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-conte...e-eye-of-the-world-by-robert-jordan-ebook.png

Karakand PMed me and suggested I check out the series. Is is good?

Wait. Are you trolling his troll? :confused

Edit: Late to that party, I guess.

aidan

Tim the Wiz said:
Wait. Are you trolling his troll? :confused

I'm both trolling Karakand and reading The Eye of the World. Two birds with one stone!

Dresden

French government it is. Western governments as a whole were criminally incompetent, but I found the French funneling of weapons and military backing to Hutu Power murderers to be especially damning.

Sotha Sil said:
So, so excited for The Dragon's Path! April can't come fast enough.
Spring of 2011 is going to be great. New Bakker, Abraham, Abercrombie, and hopefully Lynch. And maybe, just maybe, the elusive GRRM.

Sotha Sil

Dresden said:
French government it is. Western governments as a whole were criminally incompetent, but I found the French funneling of weapons and military backing to Hutu Power murderers to be especially damning.

Spring of 2011 is going to be great. New Bakker, Abraham, Abercrombie, and hopefully Lynch. And maybe, just maybe, the elusive GRRM.

Thanks for clarifying the Rwanda situation. I guess the shame gets my blood boiling.

As for the fantasy situation, roll on, spring of 2011. I don't care for Abercrombie, but I've got to admit: this list is pretty damn great.

Llyranor

Currently reading two books (hardcover at home, paperback during public transportation)

51YP08P3GZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

D-Day: Piercing the Atlantic Wall, by Kershaw - based on the recommendation by some wargamers on another forum. Seems fairly detailed. Plus, his 'It Never Snows in September' book on Market-Garden was pretty cool.

51rW2f9jCFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Longest Day, by Cornelius Ryan. 'A Bridge Too Far' was excellent, so this was an easy pick. Fairly short, but very readable.

Also just picked up my next reads:
51fK-iQMQoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

516SjoRVkDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

There's a few more Overlord books I intend to pick up once I get through these. Evidently, I'm preparing for a trip to Normandy this June.

Not currently reading anything as I'm waiting for my copy of Towers of Midnight to arrive tomorrow. Actually I did pick up a copy of The Historian after seeing it here, but I wont start it till after Towers of Midnight (so like this weekend :D ). I did want to mention that I picked up the following 3 books on my kindle recently because Amazon recommended them to me. They were not what I was expecting, but turned into really great reads. The slight mix of "real world" with the fantasy setting was not something I was used to and made for a very unique story. I wanted to share them though to see if others have read them and/or have someone else give them a shot.

51TV8GIiteL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51YSXy46yPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41xRfKNMkRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Top Bottom