• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2010)

Xater

Maklershed said:
Cool thanks for the info. I'll look in to that. I'm about 20% through Mountains and I'm loving it so far. After slogging through Crescent its giving me that great feeling of "I don't want to put this book (kindle) down".

I also have some recommendations: The Call of Cthulhu (basically required reading), The Shadow over Innsmouth, Dagon, Herbert West: Reanimator

You can probably also save some money if you just get the complete HP Lovecraft reader. Sadly it does not seem to be available utside of the US, lucky me...

I finished reading The Real Inspector Hound and New-Found-Land (Tom Stoppard) for class. I really need to go back and finish reading Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead someday, considering how much I love Waiting for Godot. (Come to think of it, I need to read/see more Beckett...)

Nymerio

Nearing the end of

51ID4J3Ly-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Love the characters and pacing, though the third part was kind of a letdown. Really wanted to know what's happening with
Croaker and the Lady, the stolen baby and her returned powers.
On the other hand, it's cool to see
Raven and the Limper
back in action.

I can't believe I've been on GAF for this long and have never dipped into the reading threads. Really interesting to see what other people are getting their noses into.

Xater

BothBarsOn said:
I can't believe I've been on GAF for this long and have never dipped into the reading threads. Really interesting to see what other people are getting their noses into.

Have fun! Since alot of GAFers share similar interests, I found alot of good stuff through these threads.

Fireblend

Banned
0099533219.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And I think I'll be stuck with it for at least 2 months. I should probably even buy another book to read while I'm with this one.

Kola

Dostoevsky_-_The_Raw_Youth.jpg

It's ok, but still the worst I've read by Dostojewski so far. The translation by Swetlana Geier is probably the best you can get in the west.

Fireblend said:
And I think I'll be stuck with it for at least 2 months. I should probably even buy another book to read while I'm with this one.

I've been soundly defeated by every Pynchon I've ever tried, I must admit. I think I like the idea of him more than the reality.

Jarlaxle

Finished Ender's Game the other day and thought it was fantastic. I'm happy with the ending and have absolutely no desire to read any more of them.

51PP6GAN6EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm about 150 pages into this. Enjoying it so far but I've watched the movie and it seems the movie stuck pretty closely to the book. I'm excited to read the other stories in this other than 'Low Men in Yellow Coats'.

Sotha Sil

Jarlaxle said:
Finished Ender's Game the other day and thought it was fantastic. I'm happy with the ending and have absolutely no desire to read any more of them.

I'm about 150 pages into this. Enjoying it so far but I've watched the movie and it seems the movie stuck pretty closely to the book. I'm excited to read the other stories in this other than 'Low Men in Yellow Coats'.

I really liked it. King is really, really great when it comes to nostalgy.

Arment

Just finished up The Thousandfold Thought which is Book 3 of the Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker.

Interesting world and story so far. The ending was a complete let down until I realized he's doing another trilogy set 20 years later.

Kind of looking for something new to read now. After re-reading ASoIaF I really wish there was more stuff like it out there.

Nappuccino said:
Right now I'm reading

kindred-25th.jpg
Nice. Is this Post Apocalypse genre? I really liked Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents and the world Butler has created.
Xater said:
I also have some recommendations: The Call of Cthulhu (basically required reading), The Shadow over Innsmouth, Dagon, Herbert West: Reanimator
Excellent. Thank you for that.

Olorin

I'm about halfway through Assassins Quest (final book of the Farseer Triogy by Robin Hobb) Reading it for the third time and loving it all over again. Next up is a reread of the Liveship Traders trilogy.

otake said:
Can anyone recommend a book of short stories?

What sort of thing are you looking for?

The last collections I read were by David Foster Wallace, I found them (Oblivion & Brief Interviews With Hideous Men) to be very interesting(I am a fan of his work though).

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm looking for something contemporary. No science fiction or fantasy.

otake said:
Can anyone recommend a book of short stories?

Recently, I LOVED Wells Tower's 'Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned'. I also quite liked, recently again, Ethan Canin's 'The Palace Thief'.

otake said:
I'm looking for something contemporary. No science fiction or fantasy.

Yeah try some Foster Wallace, I can't really give a recommendation of which book to read though(I read everything I could get my hands on in a few months so I don't really know which stories were in which book), but outside of his 1st novel everything was extremely well-written.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Fireblend said:
Jorge Luis Borges' Ficciones

Isn't Borges a lot like Garcia Marques, all that magical realism and such..

Maklershed said:
Nice. Is this Post Apocalypse genre?

Its... time travel (possible minor spoiler)
(but with no machines or real explanation why)
and it follows an african american woman who repeatedly travels back in time to when slavery still existed. I like the writing style and the overall plot but... I really hate the sections where they discuss how the time travel is working (mild book spoilers)
(because there isn't a "reason" just rules for the TT) and she does a lot to kill the suspense of the narrative if you're paying attention.

I'd still recommend it as its definitely a fast and easy read- even if you don't like it it shouldn't take up too much of your time.

Nymerio said:
Nearing the end of

51ID4J3Ly-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Love the characters and pacing, though the third part was kind of a letdown. Really wanted to know what's happening with
Croaker and the Lady, the stolen baby and her returned powers.
On the other hand, it's cool to see
Raven and the Limper
back in action.

I don't have the omnibuses so I don't know if it explains it but Silver Spike is a stand alone which is why it seemed off compared to the other two books in the 'bus. It's been a long time since I read the Glimmering Stones portion of the series (final four books) so I don't recall if the events in Silver spike are one-off or fold back in.

Nappuccino said:
Its... time travel (possible minor spoiler)
(but with no machines or real explanation why)
and it follows an african american woman who repeatedly travels back in time to when slavery still existed. I like the writing style and the overall plot but... I really hate the sections where they discuss how the time travel is working (mild book spoilers)
(because there isn't a "reason" just rules for the TT) and she does a lot to kill the suspense of the narrative if you're paying attention.

I'd still recommend it as its definitely a fast and easy read- even if you don't like it it shouldn't take up too much of your time.
I just bought it for my kindle. It's only $3.96, Butler is 2 for 2 for me, and this sounds interesting. Thanks for the info.

moojito

timeline.jpeg

Yeah, it's not so great. Having the medieval vibe to it is ok since I'm usually reading fantasy stuff set in that era, but I don't know, it's like reading a film. Not unlike Dan Brown novels.
Still, he wrote Jurassic park, so we have to cut him some slack.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
moojito said:
timeline.jpeg

Yeah, it's not so great. Having the medieval vibe to it is ok since I'm usually reading fantasy stuff set in that era, but I don't know, it's like reading a film. Not unlike Dan Brown novels.
Still, he wrote Jurassic park, so we have to cut him some slack.
I felt the same while reading it. I was entertained through the first half or so but then it just starts to drag and loses what made the first half interesting......I think....I read it seven years ago so my memory's kind of hazy. What's funny though is that it really does read like a movie script, and when they turned it into a movie, they rewrote the whole fucking thing. :lol

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Crichton is a great idea/bad execution author. Every book I've ever read of his basically boils down to a great premise followed by terrible characters doing outrageous crap.

Vard

Still reading Lolita and really enjoying it. Added a few other Nabokov novels to my to-read list because I just love the way it's written.

Maklershed said:
I just bought it for my kindle. It's only $3.96, Butler is 2 for 2 for me, and this sounds interesting. Thanks for the info.

Well, for 4 bucks it should be well worth it. Its a pretty easy read that delves into more serious topics as it goes on. Hope you enjoy it! (Most people in my class really like it so far... I'm still a bit on the fence though)

demon said:
I felt the same while reading it. I was entertained through the first half or so but then it just starts to drag and loses what made the first half interesting......I think....I read it seven years ago so my memory's kind of hazy. What's funny though is that it really does read like a movie script, and when they turned it into a movie, they rewrote the whole fucking thing. :lol
I read that as a middle schooler and for whatever reason I stopped halfway through, too.

KdoubleA

Finished The Name of the Wind recently. Loved it! I'm really looking forward to The Wise Man's Fear now.

I'm currently reading:

CoC.jpg

I've been meaning to read this for a long time but didn't have a chance to. Very well done so far, like it a lot!

FnordChan

Cyan said:
Huh. I've been hearing this a lot recently. I'll have to put it on my list.

I strongly second the Royal Flash recommendation, with the caveat that it might be even more enjoyable if you read Flashman, the book preceding Royal Flash and the one that kicks off the series, first.

Fnordman

charsace

51qpkfne8fl3.jpg

I've only just started reading this. So far the book is told from the perspective of 2 characters; a super hero and a super villian. I like it so far though.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Finishing up Ilium by Dan Simmons.

I know there's a sequel and I'm guessing Ilium ends in a cliffhanger, so I'm reading extra critically to decide if I'm going to pick up Olympos afterwards.

mike23

sTE2J.jpg

Finished this up. I had already read most of the shorts, but it was worth it for the new one. Just started up

zpu6n.jpg

Does anyone know of a good book heavily focused on collecting magic, whether it's collecting relics or learning magic or whatever?

Xater

charsace said:
51qpkfne8fl3.jpg

I've only just started reading this. So far the book is told from the perspective of 2 characters; a super hero and a super villian. I like it so far though.

I have read it a while ago and really liked it.

Jarlaxle

flintstryker said:
rereading The Sword Of Shannara

I'm sorry but I thought you just said that you were rereading The Sword of Shannara. I hope that was just a typo. Why would anyone ever put themselves through that again?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Jarlaxle said:
I'm sorry but I thought you just said that you were rereading The Sword of Shannara. I hope that was just a typo. Why would anyone ever put themselves through that again?

Coming from a guy whose username is based on an RA Salvatore novel...?

peakish

Almost finished off Shadow of the Wind, decided I couldn't be bothered with the epilogue, never looked back. It never clicked with me.

Now finishing off The Mortdecai Trilogy which has been quite enjoyable and makes me want to speak British instead of American English as well as start my drinking no later than 1pm on weekdays.

After this I think I'll start up with some Gaiman, he's gotta be mentioned a lot for a reason. I think I'll flip through Octobers thread, remember a lot of mentions of him there.

Also in the mood for some kind of vintage crime novel, of the kind where the butler may or may not be the murderer (think Gosford Park): Suggestions for that? Christie is the backup if I can't find anything else!

Top Bottom