• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenAlien

Guns, Girls and Gambling (2012)
Zw

Guns and girls.. That's basically all I want from a movie.

Last edited:
Now that I watch 4 Spike Lee movies

He's hit or miss for me

Loved

Blackkklansman
The Inside Man

HATED

Jungle Fever
Summer of Sam

I do notice his tracking shots he uses

Also Summer of Sam is especially disappointing since I always found serial killers to be interesting

Love Mind Hunters on Netflix

Such a shame that Netflix canceled it after 2 seasons

Makes me so mad lol

MastAndo

Now that I watch 4 Spike Lee movies

He's hit or miss for me

Loved

Blackkklansman
The Inside Man

HATED

Jungle Fever
Summer of Sam

I do notice his tracking shots he uses

Also Summer of Sam is especially disappointing since I always found serial killers to be interesting

Love Mind Hunters on Netflix

Such a shame that Netflix canceled it after 2 seasons

Makes me so mad lol
If you're looking to check out Spike Lee movies, Do the Right Thing and 25th Hour are his best in my opinion.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Equalizer 3. I thought it was about math competitions. Imagine my surprise when it is just Denzel counting bodies.

It was really good though.

HN9GULc.jpg

Resident Evil Welcome To Raccoon City: B+
Huh

This movie turned out great. I'm actually kind of surprised. There's a midcredit scene for anyone who's interested in watching this.

Watched Reptile with good ol Benicio the other night.
Solid movie, 7/10. No weird, woke shit, just some standard detectives detecting, give it a watch.

I saw this a couple of days ago. It was a good flick. I give it a 8/10. Thankfully no woke stuff in it

Andyliini

Escape Plan 2: Hades
While the original Escape Plan can be considered a small success, with it's small budget and so on, maybe it's not that big of a surprise that they made s sequel. This has very little to do with the first film though, as it's completely standalone. Stallone is once again top billed actor here, but his role is relatively small all things considered. As the film was mostly made with Chinese money, many of the main characters are Chinese. This was a time when many Chinese companies tried to make a worldwide appearance in huge numbers. It seems like Covid has mostly killed this endeavor. Maybe it's only a good thing...
Anyway, not very good film, stick with the original.

Doom85

HN9GULc.jpg

Resident Evil Welcome To Raccoon City: B+
Huh

This movie turned out great. I'm actually kind of surprised. There's a midcredit scene for anyone who's interested in watching this.

As a massive fan of the games, it was refreshing to see a movie focus on the actual RE leads and not be entirely Mary Alice Sue while the RE cast cheerlead her on and on occasion get a competent moment as the prior films did. Sure, there were still a lot of changes here I didn’t agree with (no Barry and Rebecca, why is Wesker kind of only slightly bad?, etc.) but this was like seeing live-action Ghost in the Shell after a bunch of Dragonball Evolutions in a row. Like, live-action GitS has problems, for sure, but’s it still FAR preferable to DB Evolution.

The movie also had more of a horror style to it for most of it, whereas the prior movies almost entirely focused on being action blockbusters.

Also this movie is the first time Jill and Leon have spoken to each other, so weird that the two most iconic leads of the series never had a game together. I did hear the new CGI film has them together, I need to get around to that one.

As a massive fan of the games, it was refreshing to see a movie focus on the actual RE leads and not be entirely Mary Alice Sue while the RE cast cheerlead her on and on occasion get a competent moment as the prior films did. Sure, there were still a lot of changes here I didn’t agree with (no Barry and Rebecca, why is Wesker kind of only slightly bad?, etc.) but this was like seeing live-action Ghost in the Shell after a bunch of Dragonball Evolutions in a row. Like, live-action GitS has problems, for sure, but’s it still FAR preferable to DB Evolution.

The movie also had more of a horror style to it for most of it, whereas the prior movies almost entirely focused on being action blockbusters.

Also this movie is the first time Jill and Leon have spoken to each other, so weird that the two most iconic leads of the series never had a game together. I did hear the new CGI film has them together, I need to get around to that one.

That's the thing too

I watched a couple of the ones with that Mary Sue character. I enjoyed the first one but had to stop watching due to them getting worse and worse

My only complaint is with Jill Valentine, she's not as sexy since I want my sexy fanservice. But other than that I thought she did a good job with the character. As I said before I'm fine with Race/Gender Swap as long as it's not used as a political mouthpiece

What I loved about the movie is the character interactions. Yes they made some changes especially to Wesker character but I felt it didn't hurt the movie at all

Action wise I actually like the fact that they tried to make each Action scene distinctive. Let's just say they are memorable and I remember every action scene

The movie has flaws but it's one of the better Hollywood videogame adaptations I seen.

It's interesting how Hollywood is starting to get Videogame Adaptations right

Sonic Movies
Super Mario Bros Movie
Resident Evil Welcome To Raccoon City

As for Ghost In The Shell, I consider that one of the best Hollywood Live Action Anime Adaptations I seen. I saw this in IMAX back than and they got everything right. Such a good film. Yes it has it's flaws but it's much better film than people think. This one was a surprise

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This is hilarious and badass af.

I told my dad to watch Beau is afraid. So he's like, well, app me the title.

Now... My father is a pretty is a "normal" movie viewer.

So to plough through this 3 hour long headtrip haha what a trooper.

FNFWav3.jpg

Translation

Ok

I'm watching now. Kind of a weird/strange movie.

Beau doesn't has it easy

Kind of a weird/strange movie.

Proud The Karate Kid GIF

Indeed dad. Indeed. 🤣 🙌

violence

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1990.

Perfect movie to wash the bad taste of the Michael Bay TMNT out of my mouth. I was pretty jazzed to watch this after seeing the red letter media video on it. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen this and it was almost like inviting old friends over.

This is the movie Megan Fox should’ve been in.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Scream VI
I went in with low expectations given its reception but I enjoyed it more than V. But there was way too many annoying “why run away after you just fought back and won” scenes, which are incredibly frustrating to watch. Especially since they all talk a big game. Oh and I don’t know why one of the guys has a giant ladder in his tiny apartment.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Burial - it was a pretty good courtroom movie. Jamie fox and Tommy Lee Jones do great. Story is interesting. But is was a movie I had on in the background.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
This is hilarious and badass af.

I told my dad to watch Beau is afraid. So he's like, well, app me the title.

Now... My father is a pretty is a "normal" movie viewer.

So to plough through this 3 hour long headtrip haha what a trooper.

FNFWav3.jpg

Translation

Ok

I'm watching now. Kind of a weird/strange movie.

Beau doesn't has it easy

Kind of a weird/strange movie.

Proud The Karate Kid GIF

Indeed dad. Indeed. 🤣 🙌
Your dad's watching the right movie allright 😆

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Savage Salvation

Real mixed bag. The first half is a drama through and through with a heavy dose of love story amidst a backdrop of addiction and recovery. The cutey pie from the Amazon Jack Reacher show is the (edit: a protag) protag, and every actor I think does a good job with what they're given.

The second half is an action revenge thriller. The change is tone is sudden and weird, but I enjoyed the action sequences.

I'd say if you're going to watch it, just scan through the first 30-ish minutes so you can get an idea of who is who and what is what, then watch the second half normally.

Last edited:

Mitsurux

I recently picked up "The Mummy Ultimate Collection" on Blu-Ray, so i finally decided that it was time to watch:

"The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" (2008)
:

The Good: Really great Sets (Actual real sets!), Brendan Fraser is great as in the previous 2 Mummy Movies, some decent action /chase scenes. Music was pretty good as well.

The Bad: "Shaky Cam" ruins some action scenes. There is some HORRIBLE CGI (Then some cgi that looks fine). baffling story choices (Example: The Dragon emperor has control of ALL of the elements, and the ability to shapeshift, and can only be killed with a specific knife...really. at one point three CGI yetis arrive to help our heroes fight off the bad guys then end up saving them from an avalanch...ugh, Jet Li turing into the 3 headed CGI dragon was so bad....). Some really really bad editing. (Example: The movie has both Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh great actors that can handle a fight scene, but their fight was handled so badly, in length, editing, etc. ). Replaceemnt of Rachel Weisz as Evelyn.

2/5 Not worth your time if you like the first two movies in the Mummy series

Note sure if i'm brave unough to take a chance on the Scorpion King... we will see.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Mutiny on the Bounty 84, with Hopkins and Gibson - excellent film. Well acted and interesting story of the Mutiny.

The descendants still live on the Pitcarins to this day.

Andyliini

Escape Plan: The Extractors
Third film of the series, and a bit better than the previous film. This one is more brutal with it's action, although the story is as simple as ever. I was a bit surprised after I found out this film was done on shoestring budget of 3,6 million dollars, where as the previous film had a budget of 20 million. Maybe they used the budget of 2 to pay of some of the cast of part 3. It's fine for what it is, but it completely sidelines the cliffhanger ending from 2, and doesn't really bring anything new to table. Better than the previous one, but far worse than the first one.

MV5BODNlNDdkNzgtNTc3NC00ZWYwLTlmYTgtNDg1YThiMTRkZDYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM3MzcwMjY3._V1_.jpg

Movie kicks major ass and feels fresh.

This movie doesn't give a fuck and it let's you know real quick that everyone and thing is fair game. It's been a long time since a horror movie put my jaw on the floor and this movie did it 3 times.

Last edited:

Mitsurux

So I said to myself "What the Heck" and dove into:

The Scorpion King (2002)

The Good:
The Rock is fun to watch in this film (Funny, good stunt work,) The film is a lot more Goofy/funny than I was expecting (Thats a good thing I guess?). Decent action/fight scenes. Really cool looking sets.

The Average: The Story (Take revenge save the world/kingdom). The characters (We really don't know all that much about any of the characters, none of them other than maybe the Rock even have any sort of arc). Does not have any real connection to the Mummy films (This move take place WAY in the past, and serves to show how the Rock becomes the Scorpion King)

The Bad: 2 pretty rough CGI scenes (Long shot of fire ants coming out of their hills is laughably bad, especially since the prior scene with the camera coming out of the hill with the ants was really good. The Rock grabbing a CGI snake in the final fight.. is meme worthy)

Over all just an average action move 3/5 nothing special

Fun Facts: David Hayter was involved in the screenplay AND Vince McMahon was an executive producer

Not so fun facts: Apparently there were 4 sequels to the Scorpion King... which I have no desire to watch

violence

jCEetR1.jpg

Fight Club (1999)

Old favorite. If the movie made money it would have been ruined with sequels like the Matrix, which came out that same year.. 1999 was a good year for movies, maybe I'll marathon them one day.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The Killer (2023) - Kill Bill meets No Country for Old Men. Fantastic execution, acting, and soundtrack. Not Fincher’s best, nor Fassbender’s best, but a strong effort resulting in possibly the best action film of 2023. A little too much use of licensed music for my taste. I like the Smiths but not at the expense of more Trent Reznor beats. 8/10

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023) - Absolutely haunting story and a phenomenal time period piece. You will be transported to 1920s Oklahoma and be disgusted in the process. Unfortunately i continue to see DiCaprio the actor on screen, not DiCaprio’s character. He will never stop being Jack from Titanic to my brain, no matter how old he gets or what accent he tries to use. 9/10

Spiderverse 2 (2023) - Amazing visuals and some extremely fun segments dragged down by a weaker storyline than the first and a kick-in-the-balls cliffhanger. A film focused squarely on Miles vs The Spot probably would have been tense & engaging, but we are continuing the multiverse comic book trend yet again. 5/10

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Robocop (1987)

So many aspects and themes in this movie feel like prognostication, like warnings:

The recognition of the cynicism in network news. The dangers of privatization of public works and offices. How units within a police force lacking checks and balances is just as much of a danger to the public as violent criminals.

As a movie it's also incredibly enjoyable. It's funny, gory, elegantly campy, great sci-fi. Every major character feels like an exaggeration that works. They sometimes chew the scenery and the viewer wants to cheer them on, to see them do it again (Clarence Boddicker and Dick Jones in particular, but literally every character does it).

"Well I guess we're gonna be friends after all. Richard".

Mossybrew

Finally got to watch Asteroid City. I could fully understand people not liking this style but I thought the whole thing was funny and very entertaining. This kind of deadpan absurd weirdness is just my jam.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
killers of the flower moon, you think the Irishman was long ?
Sorry I love the director’s other films. But this was… it’s too fucking long. Leo just does the ‘lude face from wolf of Wall Street and everyone does a mumbly foghorn leghorn impersonation while the actress playing his wife just looks half bored and depressed all movie. I waited three hours to see Brendon Fraser show up for all of 10 mins ?!, but n a 3 1/2 movie

They need to cut it down then it will be good. Too much fluff.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Lonely Castle in the Mirror

Theatrical anime is not relesed around here every day, as they are niche and rarely gather big crowds into theather. I am thankful that they still do, because if not, I might have not ever experienced this one. Once again, it shows a magical world ful of wonder and mystery, with a diverse cast of mostly likeable characters. The mix of traditional looking characters and 3D environments dont always mix well, and the ending dragged, mut aside from those, I really enjoyed this one. When I find myself thinking afterwards "This is why I like going to cinema", I know I have truly enjoyed something. It does not always happen, but this time it certainly did.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Marvels

It's an average Marvel movie - you know exactly what you're going to get. There's no standout performance - everyone plays their characters exactly as we've seen them before. The villain is a typical Marvel one-and-done. It's fun though, despite suffering constant tonal shifts. If you enjoy the Marvel universe it's worth a watch.

Priscilla

Another great movie from Coppola about a young woman lacking control of her life. As a viewer I felt like a voyeur watching the events unfold, as Priscilla was gradually becoming a voyeur of her own life. Whoever the DoP was made scenes that would be nothing to drool over look remarkable. I don't know a thing about the real history between Elvis and Priscilla, but it doesn't feel the least bit contrived - despite knowing most of it is made up.

I'm sure there's going to be some Oscar nods for at least two of the actors involved along with Coppola herself.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Blue Beetle

This movie is way better than I was expecting. I like how they lean into him being Mexican American and include his family heavily just as they did with the first run of his comic. The visuals are extremely vibrant, reflecting the culture and his fictional heavily-Latino Texan city. The score is bombastic. It is genuinely funny. George Lopez kills it. I think this is easily the best DCU movie. Nicely paced, a good romp.

My only main detraction is that the main villain is extremely one note and his whole aesthetic looks dated and a little goofy.

Edit: I have to say, whoever made and OK'd the trailers should be fired. They do not reflect the finished product. The suit and overall CG look way better. They also misrepresented the tone and vibe by a mile. It's the most bizarre separation between trailers and actual movie that I think I have ever seen

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Killer was fucking awesome. What a stylish intense movie. One lengthy scene in particular was absolutely fucking brutal and hardcore to watch.

Billbofet

When Evil Lurks
Can't say I enjoyed a single moment of it, but wow, what a movie. So bleak, but so well made and haunting.
The less you know going in the better, so I would recommend not watching the trailer.
It's been a while since I've seen a horror movie so effective.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My daughter suggested this week's movie: Totally Killer

MV5BYzQwYzY4YWUtNDMxMS00Y2UxLTlhODQtY2ExZDY5ZDhhZGMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I was expecting a slasher flick (it kinda was), but what I got was a really great 80s nostalgia trip wrapped up in a competent time travel movie. Very awesome, really well done, fun movie.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
When Evil Lurks
Can't say I enjoyed a single moment of it, but wow, what a movie. So bleak, but so well made and haunting.
The less you know going in the better, so I would recommend not watching the trailer.
It's been a while since I've seen a horror movie so effective.
It crosses some lines that usually don't get crossed, that's for sure.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Watched Mission Impossible Dead Reconning I again last weekend.

Awesome in cinema, awesome at home. Cruise is one of the few left that can deliver amazing popcorn action flicks.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just finished 10 things I hate about you.

Been AGES since I‘ve seen it. Surprisingly I still remembered most of. I‘d say it’s ok and all but I have to admit the ending is pure movie magic. Made me teary eyes. Had to investigate and wow… Julia‘s tears were as real as they felt watching the movie. Good stuff.

Andyliini

Unforgiven

I have planned on watching this for a while, since it was Academy Award winner after all. I'm not really sure I agree with that. It's not a bad film, just difficult to follow for being so episodic. It has a few different plot points being followed, and not all of them are even relevant to the main plot. David Webb Peoples often writes good scripts, so I don't know if Eastwood changed a lot of it during filming of not.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Hell or High Water (2016): if you take Roger Ebert's approach in criticism, where you judge a movie based on how well it achieves what it set out to do, then this movie is a 10. It's entertaining, funny, shocking, touching, compelling, well-acted, well-written, well-directed, well-everything. Can't believe I didn't know about it until recently.

Unforgiven

I have planned on watching this for a while, since it was Academy Award winner after all. I'm not really sure I agree with that. It's not a bad film, just difficult to follow for being so episodic. It has a few different plot points being followed, and not all of them are even relevant to the main plot. David Webb Peoples often writes good scripts, so I don't know if Eastwood changed a lot of it during filming of not.
I just learned there is a Japanese remake of Unforgiven that had a very good reception. Its on my list to watch now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom