• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2010)

Finished 1984 and started reading Kafka on the Shore.
2a0nsow.jpg

Dresden said:
Spring of 2011 is going to be great. New Bakker, Abraham, Abercrombie, Erikson, Butcher, Stover, Mieville and hopefully Lynch, Rothfuss and Morgan. And maybe, just maybe, the elusive GRRM.

Yes, ma'am. Except the last four will probably get delayed.

CAW

2a0nuyp.jpg

Wasn't hard to find, but I can't seem to find The Beast Within. Well, I found a few copies for $40+. Sins of Our Fathers was 0.89 plus the 7$ shipping :lol
2zs1keo.jpg

CAW

Sotha Sil said:
When the front cover quote is from Computer Gaming World, you know you're in for something special.
I know right. haha

Played the games years ago and have since revisited them (thanks to gog.com) but I didn't know Jane Jensen wrote novels about the series (until recently). When I found out I had to check them out, hoping to get some more character depth and story. So far so good. :D

thomaser

TheWiicast said:
Just picked up "House of Leaves" on a recommendation.

Anyone read it?

I've read it, and loved it. But there are many who read it and didn't like it at all. Very divisive. Half of it is, for some like me, extremely creepy and fascinating. The other half is not that interesting (the two "halves" are intertwined with each other).

Said I was gonna be reading At The Queen's Command by Michael Stackpole last thread but I got derailed into Abercormbie's First Law Trilogy after watching the videos from NYCC or Dragoncon or wherever it was at that was posted.

Currently reading:
9sqv81.jpg

Just started this, it is quite interesting so far.

168himp.jpg

Discovered this purely by accident, and I'm glad I did - it's great! Definitely a must-read for Castle fans.

3142jhk.jpg

Dipping into this every now and then. It is giving me the urge to get a book on Orson Welles though, to see what all the fuss over him is about.

Still reading this:

51-jm6nltML._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-24,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Only about a third of the way through it, but so far has been just as enjoyable as the first two books (which I loved). Fallout New Vegas has pretty much put my reading on a backburner for now, but I really want to finish this while the first two books are fresh in my mind.

Salazar

blazinglord said:
3142jhk.jpg

Dipping into this every now and then. It is giving me the urge to get a book on Orson Welles though, to see what all the fuss over him is about.

Lulz, the spanking :lol

cant wait to finish this one and the fourth book and become of those embittered people who is convinced that the fifth book will never be released.:lol

Also starting this for my introduction in ethics class:

I read the introduction so far and it's already confusing the crap out of me.:lol

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Previously:
Stephen King- "The Stand"
I've been reading it on/off for most of the year, taking it in as three books according to the parts. Picked it up on authority that it was King's magnum opus and it got referenced a lot by LOST men Darlton Lindelcuse. Loved it a lot, with the grand epic narrative joint with the slower character relationships and stories.

Currently:
Anthony Burgess- "A Clockwork Orange"
Seemed like an obvious choice after watching the film and enjoying it. The story I know obviously, but the way it's told and the language used, while, alienating at first is great, def adds to the nature of what Alex is often describing.

Upcoming:
H.G. Wells- "The Time Machine"
I like time-travel.

Sidequesting:
Bryan Lee O'Malley- "Scott Pilgrim Vol 1"
Picked it up following the movie hype. I haven't seen it yet, but I liked the premise. I like it, but i'm not sure if there's not much depth- keep forgetting about it for a few days if i'm honest.

Futureman

Crime and Punishment

51vkO5IZCTL.jpg

Coulson translation.

anyone got a PROBLEM with that?

(serious question... my GF's instructor recommends the Coulson translation and he knows Russian).

MrBig

I'm nearing the end of the last book in the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons, The Rise of Endymion.
Wish I wasn't going through some personal problems right now that are making me hate the Endymion series. I'll have to read though them again in a few years so that I can enjoy them better.

Should finish up Mogworld in the next few days and am unsure what to read while waiting on Towers of Midnight to ship from Amazon.

KidDork

Finished Horus Rising by Dan Abnett. Loved it, but was a little floored to see how many Horus books there are now. I had it in my head that it was a trilogy, but it seems to have metastasized into another sprawling series. Might be awhile before I come back.

So now I'm leaving the Astartes and Chaos demons behind for this:

poet.jpg

Never read Connelly before. Kurt Busiek was praising him on Twitter a few weeks ago, and when I saw the Stephen King recommendation on the cover, I thought I'd give it a shot. So far, it's very good.

I asked this in the stupid question thread but didn't get a response so I figure I'll give it a shot here:

If I wanted to start reading HP Lovecraft's works, where should I start?

(preferably something that can be found on Amazon)

MjFrancis

ngower said:
For school I'll be reading:
41BNW0XKAVL._SS500_.jpg
What class are you taking that required this for reading? I'm poised to leaf through these pages again after having neglected any Baudrillard for some months now.

Futureman said:
Maybe this is how Dostoevksy intended it, but Coulson's translation feels a little dry and academic so far. I read that Pevear's is more colorful but maybe not as true to the original?

That's a fair description, but I didn't find the Coulson translation of C&P too "dry" or "academic". And it is the gold standard for more than just its accuracy.

Also, it's nothing comprehensive - C&P isn't included, for instance - but this can be a handy little guide to literary translation amongst the more popular Russian works.

Currently reading:

trying to finish up this for my book club:

Gonna try and catch up on anthologies and short stories after that. Maybe I'll do a full month of it!

Wark

I recently finished reading God Hates Us All and just started A Game of Thrones. I'm nearing the halfway point of the novel and I can safely say that I enjoy it a lot. I personally found the story to be intriguing due to the way the chapters are presented to the reader. Each chapter provides a different character point-of-view and usually ends on an interesting note.

The next couple books I'm going to start are A Brave New World, Fable: The Balverine Order, and Invisible Monsters. Also, maybe I'll pick up A Clash of Kings if I enjoy Game of Thrones.

DesertEater said:
Finished 1984 and started reading Kafka on the Shore.
http://i1.tinypic.com/2a0nsow.jpg
This is probably one of my favorite novels from Haruki Murakami. I still have to read After Dark though.

KidDork

Maklershed said:
I asked this in the stupid question thread but didn't get a response so I figure I'll give it a shot here:

If I wanted to start reading HP Lovecraft's works, where should I start?

(preferably something that can be found on Amazon)

I see you've started Mountains, and that's not a bad place to begin with Lovecraft. You may also want to check out The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft, edited by S.T. Joshi. It also has At The Mountains of Madness, along with some of his best shorter works, like The Rats In The Walls,The Colour Out Of Space and The Dunwich Horror.

Joshi's notes are very thorough--sometimes overly so--but he does give a good overview of the works, and some insights into Lovecraft himself.

Matchew

I'm almost done with the Enders Game and it is just ridiculous good...I have to ask are the sequels just has good?

I just posted this in the August thread, did not mean to.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
SFGamer said:
I'm almost done with the Enders Game and it is just ridiculous good...I have to ask are the sequels just has good?

I just posted this in the August thread, did not mean to.
Finished Ender's Game months ago and loved it as well....from what I've heard the actual sequels are kinda mediocre but Ender's Shadow, which is the same story but told from the POV of Bean, is supposed to be really good.

Matchew

demon said:
Finished Ender's Game months ago and loved it as well....from what I've heard the actual sequels are kinda mediocre but Ender's Shadow, which is the same story but told from the POV of Bean, is supposed to be really good.

That's too bad, Enders Game is so far depending on how it ends one of the best books I have read, can't put it down.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
SFGamer said:
That's too bad, Enders Game is so far depending on how it ends one of the best books I have read, can't put it down.

I would go so far as to say that the sequels are nothing at all like Ender's Game. They go off on an entirely different track.

Alucard

Banned
1359572494641995.jpg

I have less than 200 pages to go, and I'm really enjoying it. The heart of the story has started to kick into high gear, and I'm really pumped to see what happens at the climax.

If you enjoy fantasy novels, but want a more down-to-earth approach to them, please check out Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest) Then follow it up with this series, as it picks up events a few years later. Really fantastic fantasy reading.

Sotha Sil

Alucard said:
I have less than 200 pages to go, and I'm really enjoying it. The heart of the story has started to kick into high gear, and I'm really pumped to see what happens at the climax.

If you enjoy fantasy novels, but want a more down-to-earth approach to them, please check out Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest) Then follow it up with this series, as it picks up events a few years later. Really fantastic fantasy reading.

I really look forward to reading your impressions of the Fool's trilogy. I loved it. It's very different from the Farseer one. Fitz and the Fool are such superb characters. Hope you will enjoy it.

Alucard

Banned
Sotha Sil said:
I really look forward to reading your impressions of the Fool's trilogy. I loved it. It's very different from the Farseer one. Fitz and the Fool are such superb characters. Hope you will enjoy it.

I don't know if I will continue with the other two books in the series. I've got a hefty backlog that I'm trying to get through, and Fool's Errand is the only book that I have from the Tawny Man series in my collection. I will undoubtedly go back to the other two books in the series at some point, though. I really do love Fitz and the Fool.

KidDork said:
I see you've started Mountains, and that's not a bad place to begin with Lovecraft. You may also want to check out The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft, edited by S.T. Joshi. It also has At The Mountains of Madness, along with some of his best shorter works, like The Rats In The Walls,The Colour Out Of Space and The Dunwich Horror.

Joshi's notes are very thorough--sometimes overly so--but he does give a good overview of the works, and some insights into Lovecraft himself.
Cool thanks for the info. I'll look in to that. I'm about 20% through Mountains and I'm loving it so far. After slogging through Crescent its giving me that great feeling of "I don't want to put this book (kindle) down".

Sotha Sil

Alucard said:
I don't know if I will continue with the other two books in the series. I've got a hefty backlog that I'm trying to get through, and Fool's Errand is the only book that I have from the Tawny Man series in my collection. I will undoubtedly go back to the other two books in the series at some point, though. I really do love Fitz and the Fool.

Ah, that's a shame. Someday, then!

ymmv

Banned
JakOfTheShadows said:
Not currently reading anything as I'm waiting for my copy of Towers of Midnight to arrive tomorrow. Actually I did pick up a copy of The Historian after seeing it here, but I wont start it till after Towers of Midnight (so like this weekend :D ). I did want to mention that I picked up the following 3 books on my kindle recently because Amazon recommended them to me. They were not what I was expecting, but turned into really great reads. The slight mix of "real world" with the fantasy setting was not something I was used to and made for a very unique story. I wanted to share them though to see if others have read them and/or have someone else give them a shot.

I havent't read these books but I did read a couple of his other series (A Man of His Word, A Handful of Men, The Great Game) and two standalone novels. I particularly liked his standalone novel The Cursed.

Matchew

I have a question, and this thread seems like the place to ask. I just got my kindle is there a way to change to page number instead of % done?

kinn said:

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't like the Road. The prose annoyed the hell out of me and the characterizations didn't keep interested enough to care about what happened to them.

Right now I'm reading

kindred-25th.jpg

for class

and

n9670.jpg

and

gravitys-rainbow-penguin.jpg

and

0553383574.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

all for fun.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just picked this up at a used book store and will probably start it after I'm done with my current reading:

UnJhf.jpg

-edit-
Also picked these up today at another used book store. I don't know which of these three I'll be reading next:

8LyoE.jpg
v3AFG.jpg

Top Bottom