• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switzerland considers repealing incest laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

The upper house of the Swiss parliament has drafted a law decriminalising sex between consenting family members which must now be considered by the government.

There have been only three cases of incest since 1984.

Switzerland, which recently held a referendum passing a draconian law that will boot out foreigners convicted of committing the smallest of crimes, insists that children within families will continue to be protected by laws governing abuse and paedophilia.

Daniel Vischer, a Green party MP, said he saw nothing wrong with two consenting adults having sex, even if they were related.

"Incest is a difficult moral question, but not one that is answered by penal law," he said.

Barbara Schmid Federer of The Christian People's Party of Switzerland said the proposal from the upper house was "completely repugnant."

"I for one could not countenance painting out such a law from the statute books."

The Protestant People's Party is also opposed to decriminalising the offence which at present carries a maximum three year jail term.

A spokesman for the party said: "Murder is also quite rare in Switzerland but no one suggests that we remove that as an office from the statutes."

Story here

Kraftwerk

X3Ug6l.jpg

Jeff-DSA

Cousin-lovin'-GAF has their plane tickets, I see.

Guys, there's good reason to not have incest legal. Look at the crappy polygamous relationships that young men and women get pressured into in those freaky compounds. They technically consent, but they're pressured into it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I await the OreImo episode where Kirino takes Kyousuke with her to Switzerland.

Joking aside, it's a logical decision.

Jeff-DSA said:

Guys, there's good reason to not have incest legal. Look at the crappy polygamous relationships that young men and women get pressured into in those freaky compounds. They technically consent, but they're pressured into it.

Ah go eff your mother!

I agree with you I just wanted to say that

Count Dookkake said:
Isn't this one of the few times when it is actually appropriate to cry "Won't someone please think of the children?"

Haha yeah.

On one hand I guess decriminalizing it isn't a big deal, but on the other hand wtf ew incest.

Mudkips

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

Polygamy and incest are two different things.

Markster

Jeff-DSA said:

Plenty of people are pressured into "consenting" monogamous, heterosexual marriages too. Should those be illegal?

Bento

Hmm.

How does this effect having children in incestuous relationships? Cause I hope there will still be some deterrence against that shit :I

ZAK

See, that's the kind of law that's easy to not make, but once it's there, it also seems hard to repeal...

Dennis

Banned
What is this GAF obsession with incest?

In my daily life I can't say I think about the topic often but then I browse GAF and bam - incest!

Neo C.

It won't happen, our conservatives are strongly against. I'm not sure why the government is discussing it now, it just gives the conservatives more ammo for the next election.

Jenga

Banned
DennisK4 said:

In my daily life I can't say I think about the topic often but then I browse GAF and bam - incest!
I can't wait for girl-age incest edition

DennisK4 said:

It is a taboo so people don't talk about it. But seriously, is anyone really for incest?

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Switzerland, which recently held a referendum passing a draconian law that will boot out foreigners convicted of committing the smallest of crimes
:lol :lol :lol

if by "the smallest of crimes" you mean rape and murder!

they're not gonna kick you out of the country for stealing a fucking lollipop.

i know several people who voted for that law and ARE foreigners.

Bento

Neo C. said:
It won't happen, our conservatives are strongly against. I'm not sure why the government is discussing it now, it just give the conservatives more ammo for the next election.
Agreed. This is pretty much the very definition of a fringe proposal :/ But I guess it makes sense in the context of a continent more and more inclined to distract itself with fringe politics in the absence of ideas to deal with the bigger issues.

cloudwalking said:

I also found that slightly amusing. DRACONIAN! More like getting in line with the rest of the world :I

It isn't even a religion thing. There is an extreme gross factor to it. Plus your kids could come out retarded (in the true sense of the word).

dude

dude
Way to go Sweden! I hope the do repeal it, and make an example to every other country who still has these kind of horrible laws.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hitokage said:
As far as science is concerned:

Cousins? Sure.

Immediate Family? Nah.
How far? I've heard stories of first gen cousins offspring gone terribly wrong.

dude said:
Way to go Sweden!
Different country.

Bento

dude said:
Way to go Sweden! I hope the do repeal it, and make an example to every other country who still has these kind of horrible laws.
"Horrible"? Isn't that quite the exaggeration for a law that is rarely applied?

blu said:
Yeah, same here. There was a "debate" earlier this year (could have been last year) in Sweden regarding the offspring of cousin marriages and that they made up a large portion of children with genetic defects in Stockholm. Turned out to be a very touchy subject with many doctors refusing to participate in the discussion :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
blu said:
I remember reading an article saying that the risk with first cousins is equal to that of waiting ten years.

Gaborn

dude said:

Look again?

Hito - so what happens if you're first cousins AND you wait 10 years?

Neo C.

cloudwalking said:

It can go either way. It depends a lot on how the SVP is going to act.

dude

dude
Bento said:
"Horrible"? Isn't that quite the exaggeration for a law that is rarely applied?
I don't care how much it's applied, but just about the fact that it's there.

Gaborn said:
Look again?
Oh, yeah... Sorry. I could never tell these two apart >.>

zoku88

blu said:
And you've probably heard stories of offspring of "normal" couples gone terribly wrong, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom