• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Iron Giant is the best Superman movie...hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply amazing use of the Superman theme. It fantastically illustrates the potential for Superman to destroy, reigned in by his Midwestern upbringing by the Kents; the Giant is not a gun, and he can choose what he wants to be.

Hogarth Hughes: [to the Giant, in battle mode] It's bad to kill. Guns kill. And you don't have to be a gun. You are what you choose to be. You choose. Choose.

[as the Giant flies toward the missile]
Hogarth Hughes: [in the Giant's mind] You are who you choose to be.
The Iron Giant: Superman.

This is my favorite western animated film, and my second favorite animated film of all. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind holds top honors as it ticks all my boxes.

tumblr_kud10xw1CG1qz7jybo1_500.jpg

ironGiantSupermanComic_250.jpg

ironGiantSuperman_250.jpg

IronGiantlowres.jpg

Iron_Giant_by_andyparkart.jpg

2006-06-17_075743_IronGiantSuperman2nd.jpg

I'll see you soon! </sniff>

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Great movie. I think one of the saddest things about the legacy of the Superman movie is that they never bother to deal with the struggle Clark has as someone so overly powerful trying to hold back.

That said, I'm REALLY looking forward to the animated All-Star Superman movie that's coming out next year.

(There's a preview for it on the new Superman/Batman Apocalypse BluRay)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It really is the best Superman film, though it's not much of a competition.

thetrin said:
Great movie. I think one of the saddest things about the legacy of the Superman movie is that they never bother to deal with the struggle Clark has as someone so overly powerful trying to hold back.

That said, I'm REALLY looking forward to the animated All-Star Superman movie that's coming out next year.

(There's a preview for it on the new Superman/Batman Apocalypse BluRay)

Totally agree with the Clark idea.

And I wish that All-Star would have handled as a mini-series, but yup, highly anticipated!

adamsappel said:
I would post the scene where he says "soo-per-man," but then I would have to cry.

I was just watching it today, and I teared up just thinking about the scene and it was about a half hour away!

Peff

RoboPlato said:
I love this movie. Is there a blu-ray version out yet?

As far as I know the only Don Bluth Blu-Ray material is Dragon's Lair (and Space Ace?).

It really sucks.

EDIT:... I don't know why I posted that, nevermind :lol It still sucks though!

Narag

Between this recommendation, what my friend has to say about it, and the whole Ted Hughes thing, I think I'll give this a shot finally this month. I've let it go far too long.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I need to watch this again. I only watched it once when I was like 8 and it kind of traumatized me.
After everything that happened, seeing the Giant turn weaponized and evil looking really freaked me out

Danielsan

Absolutely love this movie. It desperately needs a blu-ray release. And you know why it is the best Superman movie? Because unlike Supes, the Iron Giant actually has heart.

Danielsan said:
Absolutely love this movie. It desperately needs a blu-ray release. And you know why it is the best Superman movie? Because unlike Supes, the Iron Giant actually has heart.

*rolls eyes*

The metaphor wouldn't work as well as it does if what you said is true. :lol

The Giant aspires to be the greatest hero of them all. This is the best refutation of the "Superman is a dick" nonsense.

tirminyl

Been forever since I've seen this movie. Thankfully, it is available on Netflix streaming and I will be watching it today :D

Tristam

Saw this again just a few days ago and nearly broke down crying like a little girl. It's my favorite animated film.

Yup. The best "Awwwwww man...." ending with an "Ooooooh yeah!" at the same time. The ending alone was better than Superman Returns as an entire picture.

Wish they'd bring this out on Blu-Ray. Shit, they don't even have to put any extras on it, just give me a full Blu-Ray picture quality experience and I'm happy as a clam!

After thinking about it, the latest Superman movie was like experiencing "Pineapple Time" from Little Nicky. So yeah, I watched Superman Returns once and said "yeah, this isn't happening again". But in regards to The Iron Giant: I will watch it again and again.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This thread just makes me want a Superman movie that focuses on Clark's struggle as both a small town boy living in Metropolis, and as a man vastly more powerful than anyone else around him.

There's a lot to be said for how unique he is as a character. Despite being so alien in both a metaphorical and literal sense, he's such a gregarious and empathetic person.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Dax01 said:
Is there ever gonna be a sequel to this movie? I mean, not that I think it needs one, but the ending sort of implied it...
What?! No. Just no.

Open-ended movies do not imply sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom