• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Janeway Was A Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I must have missed this in the first run, but I caught this episode on SPIKE last night, and my perception of Janeway as just a worthless captain has changed. She's just a jerk.

Story:

Voyager encounters a subspace anomaly (A big gold, glowing piece of ravioli).

180px-Graviton_ellipse.jpg

Chakotay remembers this phenomenon as something that "destroyed" an early Mars mission module from earth, and sure enough, inside the space ravioli is the remains of the ship. Anyways, long story short, rescue mission goes bad, but in the end everyone is OK. They even recover the body of the person from the Mars mission and his logs. In his logs he talks about being trapped, looking for an escape, and leaves a message for his daughter that he will find a way home. Episode end, and what does the mega-bitch do? SHE SHOOTS THE BODY INTO DEEP SPACE. I know in Star Trek thats what they usually do, but this guy wanted to go home.

Janeway was a dick.

slider

Never really been into all this stuff but I do remember thinking I'd hit it. Despite her very stern, robotic voice.

I'm gonna start a "alternative hotties" thread.

I've re-read your post. I must track this episode down, sounds intriguing. What does she do as she shoots the body off? Does she smirk? Or does she look mournful?

EDIT: Dude, shantyman, what are the odds?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
shantyman said:
Uh, proper burial?
slider said:
Never really been into all this stuff but I do remember thinking I'd hit it. Despite her very stern, robotic voice.

I'm gonna start a "alternative hotties" thread.

I've re-read your post. I must track this episode down, sounds intriguing. What does she do as she shoots the body off? Does she smirk? Or does she look mournful?

5xepks9.jpg

Lo-Volt

Well, character flaws aside, if you want to put it that way, there was nothing weird about what she did in the context. Funerals were usually conducted this way in Federation ships based on what I remember watching Trek in the past. I don't know that bodies should be kept indefinitely in a ship, especially when it's unclear that this one in particular was ever going to get home to deliver it to its descendants.

Or have I punk'd myself?

Zoe

They weren't even sure they'd ever get home much less whether he still had any living descendants. His logs would have been meaningful enough.

And yeah, isn't that how they do all their burials?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Spock does not approval of this burial ceremony, she should have shot his body on to a planet....

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Slider and I are in a standoff to see who will change their avatar first. I can't fault him for having good taste in music.

Should they have carried his body around for decades?

You're talking about a ship that seemed to have lost it's power whenever a member of the crew farted; I doubt that they could've kept this guy on ice for that long.

slider

shantyman said:
Slider and I are in a standoff to see who will change their avatar first. I can't fault him for having good taste in music.

Amen brother. Is there a way to know who had it first? (By the way, saw your Saturnalia thread: amazing album!)

I think posts 2 & 3 are a bad sign though. It portends doom or something. I think I may crack.

EDIT: I cracked dammit.

God, Voyager was such crap. Out of all the places in the entire fucking galaxy the anomaly appears RIGHT IN FRONT OF VOYAGER.

99% of their episodes were so contrived and meaningless. What a waste.

Zoe

It's not as bad as I remembered, but I've been watching the reruns on Spike and it's like every other episode is a Holodeck story :lol

I liked Voyager. It's not nearly in the same league as DS9, but it was enjoyable, for the most part. Also, B'elanna was fucking hot.

I don't really get all the Voyager's hate. It featured some incredible episodes, like "The invisible man", almost entirely centered around Harry Kim and "The search for a proper style" which had the biggest final twist in all the ST saga: for the first time they don't achieve it

slider said:

She mumbles something about the Prime Directive then targets the corpse with a full photon torpedo spread.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
StopMakingSense said:
She was an even bigger dick for killing Tuvix :mad:

I didn't like that episode, but man that was a really good makeup job. It does back up the "Janeway is a dick" thing.

It seemed like she just wanted to be a strong captain to me. Then again I did get bored and only viewed maybe half the run in total and not in sequence.

Sometimes though she would let that hair down, put on some blush and I'd think... damn she'd make a hot lesbian.

Bloodwake

I don't really see the Voyager hate. Especially when the next series, Enterprise, was fucking worthless as shit.

Honestly I was thanking the gods for Voyager at that point.

I was underwhelmed by Voyager for the most part. I did like the whole B'Elanna and Paris thing, though. Seemed to be handled well, to the extent that the only full episode I can really recall was the one where those two are floating stranded in space...[/softie]

Other than that, Seven's shape is pleasantly etched in memory. And unfortunately I could never stray far from thinking of the Remo Williams movie when seeing Janeway.

I'd imagine her being a dick had something to with the writers inconsistantly building up sexual tension between her and Chakotay for 6 seasons and then completely cock-blocking her and the Doctor in the seventh with Seven.

Bloodwake said:
I don't really see the Voyager hate. Especially when the next series, Enterprise, was fucking worthless as shit.

Voyager is a smaller shit, but at the end of the day it's still shit

Bloodwake said:

When you consider that Ron Moore's BSG is in someways the version of Voyager he never got to make, I think it's kind of easy to see the hate.

As for Enterprise, Seasons 1 &2 were worthless shit, Season 3 was underwhelming, Season 4 was the best season of Trek since DS9 left the air.

bard

Kirk = badass captain
Picard = the captain's captain
Sisko = the daddy captain
Janeway = hardass captain
Archer = cowboy captain

I didn't think she came off as being a dick, just trying to man up and captain a ship halfway across the galaxy where everybody was lost and scared. Look at it this way: at least she wasn't all girly.

Voyager had some rough times, but the last few seasons started to pick up imo, especially with plots involving the doctor.

Way too much holodeck crap going on in Voyager, and Janeway was a stuck up bitch.

In Enterprise there was waaaay too much eating, every scene in that show took place at the dinner table or an eating area.. what the hell was with this? I hated watching the cast eat through their lines, chewing noisily.. i would just change the channel whenever that shit started.

Fix The Scientist said:
Way too much holodeck crap going on in Voyager, and Janeway was a stuck up bitch.

In Enterprise there was waaaay too much eating, every scene in that show took place at the dinner table or an eating area.. what the hell was with this? I hated watching the cast eat through their lines, chewing noisily.. i would just change the channel whenever that shit started.

I always wondered why my opinion of the show was much higher than everyone else and I finally realized that I just instantly skipped over any of those episodes that I came across. They're the low-point of every season (Along with the Kim-centric shows or those fucking Captain Proton throwaways).

Shouta

I actually liked Janeway in some of the better episodes in the series. She really didn't take shit and was really menacing during the critical points. It's a damn shame all of her scenes with Seven are f'ing lame. They almost make the holodeck episodes bearable (that two-part Hirogen one excluded).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shouta said:
I actually liked Janeway in some of the better episodes in the series. She really didn't take shit and was really menacing during the critical points. It's a damn shame all of her scenes with Seven are f'ing lame. They almost make the holodeck episodes bearable (that two-part Hirogen one excluded).

That Hirogen 2 parter was definitely one of Voyager's worst.

Two Best Voyager Episodes:

Timeless
USS_Voyager_buried_under_ice.jpg

Living Witness
Warship_Voyager_the_voyager_encounter_Living_Witness.jpg

Gaborn

You know, I didn't like or hate Kate Mulgrew's Janeway all that much. I was sort of neutral on her. Then I saw this and I was SO FREAKIN GLAD she was cast and not the SHE BITCH, Geneviève Bujold.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gaborn said:
You know, I didn't like or hate Kate Mulgrew's Janeway all that much. I was sort of neutral on her. Then I saw this and I was SO FREAKIN GLAD she was cast and not the SHE BITCH, Geneviève Bujold.

Actaully she quit, she was cast. Mulgrew was their backup.

Bujold-Janeway.jpg

HI THERE!

Shouta

DrForester said:
That Hirogen 2 parter was definitely one of Voyager's worst.

It's bad but it's still the best of the Holodeck ones IMO, which should tell you something. :lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shouta said:
It's bad but it's still the best of the Holodeck ones IMO, which should tell you something. :lol

I'd put the Captain Proton episodes for their camp value, and the early Doctor/Beowulf episode higher.

Xenon

Janeway had the most annoying voice I have ever heard. Its like she was a cone head missing all the funny.

Gaborn said:
Details, details. She quit, she jumped into a vat of acid, she was fired, whatever.

Imagine having to listen to pages of technobable spoken with a Quebecois accent. She realized that the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the one.

Gaborn

Pudding Tame said:
Imagine having to listen to pages of technobable spoken with a Quebecois accent. She realized that the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the one.

*shudder* as I said, we really dodged a bullet there. It's kind of like having someone shoot at you and miss, but the bullet grazes your side, and you're GLAD, because if it was an inch in the other direction it could've killed you. Or, you know, having someone stab you, but decide not to slit your throat.

Bah, the only almost good episode was the mutiny episode, which turned out to be a simulation/dream sequence :( I was thinking finally someone got rid of that stupid bitch captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom