• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Janeway Was A Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

DrForester said:
I'd put the Captain Proton episodes for their camp value, and the early Doctor/Beowulf episode higher.

I hated the Captain Proton episodes myself. The Beowolf episode wasn't too bad though. The Doctor's Family, if you can consider it a holodeck episode, wasn't too bad.

teiresias

Yeah, Bujold was a disaster, I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they even cast her. I mean, something weird was going on that she even made it onto the set for two days (or whatever ridiculously short period it was).

I honestly didn't really dislike Kate Mulgrew as Janeway, and never really got the complaints about her voice (muppet-like, etc.).

In any event, I find this video funny:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C-01p21Gkig
:lol

Kapsama

Well I can claim to have watched every episode, however much of a dubious honor that is.:lol

Voyager had some good episodes, but most of it was pretty mediocre.

I liked that one episode when they knew that the Kazon were laying a trap, so they actually walked straight into the trap willingly, but with full battle readiness. The way Voyager kicked ass and took names in that scene was awesome.

Dyno

Voyager had its moments but Janeway quickly became an annoying character. Very shrill, very undiplomatic, and too much of a needless ball breaker. One could argue that she had to be excessively strict due to the extraordinary circumstances the crew was in, but - as a means of judging readiness - consider for a moment that Janeway captained the Enterprise; a Starfleet flagship.

There is no way Janeway could handle that job, it would ask too much of her, she isn't well-rounded enough a character (and perhaps an actor) to wear all the hats Jean Luc did. Picard was a more level headed leader in times of war and a vastly smoother operator in times of negociation.

After being spoiled with the nuanced and complex portrail of a senior officer in TNG - either from Picard or even Riker - Janeway's strident belicosity quickly wore on the nerves.

Slayven

It's funny that in the star trek novels Voyager and the crew kind of got shit on when they get back to the federation.

FStop7

Banned
Voyager sucked, it needed an injection of T&A to survive.

Then again, I watched some reruns of TNG the other day and I literally winced at some of the scenes. I didn't remember them being so terribly written and acted at the time they were new! Of course, I was only around 13 when TNG entered its "prime" years.

MrBig

I got all of TNG and Voyager. I watched TNG in its entirety over the last summer. I couldn't get through the second season of voyager. I may just go back and watch the last season to see how it ended.

Koomaster

Janeway brought two ships with disparate factions together to form one crew. I think she gets a pass on a lot of the shit people normally give her (ie: dick, ball breaker, etc). At the end of the day, Voyager and crew did a lot of good in the Delta quadrant while advancing tech and communications and making friends in the area.

The only thing I really fault her on was mentioned already; and that's the death of Tuvix. She exerted her power as captain in an effort to play God; something that no Starfleet captain should do.

Koomaster said:
Janeway brought two ships with disparate factions together to form one crew. I think she gets a pass on a lot of the shit people normally give her (ie: dick, ball breaker, etc). At the end of the day, Voyager and crew did a lot of good in the Delta quadrant while advancing tech and communications and making friends in the area.

Thing is, she didn't really do anything there. The two crews just merged together, and with the exception of a few instances which seemed to crop up very rarely, there wasn't anything she had to resolve. The job's easy when you don't have to life a finger.

Slayven

B.K. said:
They are barely out of the warmhole before the fed begins to loot their ship for tech and threatening the crew and Janeway with court-martials. But to be fair they are still getting over the Dominion war.

Zomba13

I never got all the Voyager hate. Granted I'm not big into Star Trek but have enjoyed most episodes in most series (With TNG being the best due to Picard).

Medalion

Banned
Watching the Voyager ep when the crew arrived in "modern day" San Francisco, aka 1996, was hilarious today... it's almost as bad as watching Star Trek OS in "modern day" america, aka the 1980's :D

They should really stick to just being so far into the future so things don't look dated.

Can we segue this thread into pictures of Jeri Ryan?

jeri.jpg

Slayven said:
They are barely out of the warmhole before the fed begins to loot their ship for tech and threatening the crew and Janeway with court-martials. But to be fair they are still getting over the Dominion war.

Which book(s) was this?

dalin80

Banned
All you need to know about janeway is that she locked herself in her room and refused to do anything just because she couldn't see the stars for a few days.....

Now if it was picard in a sovereign stuck out there that would have been a fun show.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Quite the thread bump.

I'm generally apathetic to post TNG Star Treks. DS9 was a well-acted rip off of Babylon 5, and Voyager had its moments (I remember the episode Course: Oblivion well.)

Loved Voyager. One of the neatest things it had going for it was the whole Seska arc, it was nice to see a recurring, darker plot through a Trek series like that.

t-storm

I was also not fond of Voyager but "Blink of an Eye" was one of the better episodes to me, if not one of my favourites out of all the Trek eps. Reminded me of TNG calibre-like episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom