• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most pirated games of 2010 as per TorrentFreak survey of pub. BitTorrent trackers

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
PC
1) Call of Duty: Black Ops (4,270,000)
2) Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (3,960,000)
3) Mafia 2 (3,240,000)
4) Mass Effect 2 (3,240,000)
5) Starcraft II (3,120,000)

Xbox 360
1) Dante’s Inferno (1,280,000)
2) Alan Wake (1,141,000)
3) Red Dead Redemption (1,060,000)
4) Halo Reach (990,000)
5) Call of Duty: Black Ops (930,000)

Wii
1) Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,470,000)
2) Wii Party (1,220,000)
3) Donkey Kong Country Returns (920,000)
4) Kirby’s Epic Yarn (880,000)
5) Red Steel 2 (850,000)

TorrentFreak article.

Discuss.

Archurro

Puzzled at Dante's Inferno being at the top. Otherwise, pretty expected. The sheer numbers are a bit shocking though.

kamspy

Since neither EA or Activision released public server code for BLOPS or BC2, what's the point in pirating the game?

subversus said:
5) Starcraft II (3,120,000)
This would likely also count people who couldn't or didn't want to use the Blizzard Downloader to install the client, as well as people who wanted a client for a different region.

CozMick said:
Jesus Christ, PC piracy is fucking insane!

No wonder Developers are going elsewhere.
:lol

Kusagari

I'm not surprised by Dante's Inferno. It seems like a good example of a game people probably wanted to play but not buy.

darkpaladinmfc said:
This would likely also count people who couldn't or didn't want to use the Blizzard Downloader to install the client, as well as people who wanted a client for a different region.
isn't the blizzard downloader just a torrent? :conspiracy

CozMick said:
Jesus Christ, PC piracy is fucking insane!

Yes and no. Piracy on the PC is insane, yeah, but it isn't the plague it is often made out to be. I don't even think it's all that harmful to the platform these days, really. Most pirates don't equate to a lost sale. Doesn't make it right! But it doesn't justify draconian DRM, either, and these figures are typically used as a justification for such measures. They serve no other purpose.

Emonga said:
Expected Civ V to end up higher because of the DRM debacle.
Why would it hurt the title? Because a publish decides to take steps to protect themselves from people ripping off their work?

echoshifting said:
Yes and no. Piracy on the PC is insane, yeah, but it isn't the plague it is often made out to be. I don't even think it's all that harmful to the platform these days, really. Most pirates don't equate to a lost sale. Doesn't make it right! But it doesn't justify draconian DRM, either, and these figures are typically used as a justification for such measures. They serve no other purpose.

Haha. What? Pirated copy = lost sale. That's all there is to that.

The biggest shame of all of this is that publishers will use this list to justify their fucking retarded DRM that makes the legitimate consumer want to pull their hair out.

Well at least Alan Wake hit a million in something.

As for Dante's Inferno. Well piracy is bad, but why I even waste your time pirating that piece of crap?

Jigsaw

Banned
no psp numbers?i remember dissidia was pirated 5 million times,i want to know how many mgs fans pirated peace walker

BloodySinner said:
Why would it hurt the title? Because a publish decides to take steps to protect themselves from people ripping off their work?
Making it too annoying for honest customers who are then forced to resort to piracy.

PC piracy is insane. Dante's Inferno and Alan Wake is not really a surprise. People wanted to play them, but didn't feel the short single player experience warranted a purchase. Damn pirates.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
subversus said:
2) Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (3,960,000)

SHAME ON YOU, PC PIRATES. SHAME ON YOU. You should be BUYING this game, assholes. :|

Rapstah

I haven't played a CoD seriously since 2, but isn't the main point of the newest games the multiplayer? Can it be assumed some of the people who pirated Black Ops decided to buy it later for MP access?

Seems like Alan Wake DL numbers trashed actual sales by a wide margin. Really sad for Remedy, I hope the sales were enough for them to continue pumping out great games.

:lol @ Wii Party. Did not expect that at all.

BloodySinner said:
Haha. What? Pirated copy = lost sale. That's all there is to that.

That's actually a pretty grand distortion of the truth. There was an interesting write-up on this from someone in the industry last year...I go now to find it. Anybody know the article I'm talking about?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I remember how I blamed low Alan Wake sales on piracy and people were like "Boooo, piracy doesn't hurt console sales" :lol

Well, but Red Dead has done pretty well on the other hand. So there's no straight correlation. And BFBC3 sold more copies on PC than on PS3 and almost outsold xbox version at one point.

I think Red Dead had mainstream appeal and BFBC2 is a multiplayer game. That's why they sold well.

Emonga said:
Making it too annoying for honest customers who are then forced to resort to piracy.

How are they forced to steal? And wouldn't that stealing justify the publisher to find new "annoying" ways for protection? The cycle continues.

I love PC gaming as much as the next guy, but some of you are full of shit.

Top Bottom