• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most pirated games of 2010 as per TorrentFreak survey of pub. BitTorrent trackers

iceatcs

Kimosabae said:
How are they extrapolating these numbers??
IP numbers with multi-torrent files add up?

I think torrent can keep all the IP number history who people been downloaded.

WickedAngel said:
It really isn't, but this argument has been done to death.

Yeah, you're right. Never mind...not sure it's worth the effort of finding it. I'm sure everything said in the article will end up here soon enough :p

Rapstah said:
I haven't played a CoD seriously since 2, but isn't the main point of the newest games the multiplayer? Can it be assumed some of the people who pirated Black Ops decided to buy it later for MP access?

I bet the servers have been hacked from day one.

Surprised that Halo wasn't #1. The series is dead people, dead I tell you!

Takao

Banned
Jigsaw said:
no psp numbers?i remember dissidia was pirated 5 million times,i want to know how many mgs fans pirated peace walker

Yep, I want to see these numbers. The games on this list are mostly forgettable or blockbusters anyways.

vocab

CozMick said:
Jesus Christ, PC piracy is fucking insane!

No wonder Developers are going elsewhere.

Ya, because the 360, Wii, DS, PSP are all pirate free AMIRIGHT?

PC Piracy won't ever disappear, but people shouldn't have to put up with DRM in the mean time. Developers are just asking for lost sales, and pirating.

BloodySinner said:
How are they forced to steal? And wouldn't that stealing justify the publisher to find new "annoying" ways for protection? The cycle continues.

I love PC gaming as much as the next guy, but some of you are full of shit.
Simple behavioral economics, really. I understand how you feel about it but you just have to accept reality.

BloodySinner said:
How are they forced to steal? And wouldn't that stealing justify the publisher to find new "annoying" ways for protection? The cycle continues.
except the protection only hinders the people actually buying

John

BloodySinner said:
Why would it hurt the title? Because a publish decides to take steps to protect themselves from people ripping off their work?

Haha. What? Pirated copy = lost sale. That's all there is to that.
BloodySinner said:

I love PC gaming as much as the next guy, but some of you are full of shit.

you don't understand piracy or drm

hamchan

Volcynika said:
The PC numbers don't surprise me, considering tons of them won't buy Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines for $19.99!

:p

In a world where The Witcher is $5 and Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate 2 are $10, $20 seems like a bit much!

Digital distribution future on PC; on consoles, I think they are still making enough profit to not be too worried just yet (except maybe on Wii, but it has other problems).

Seraphis Cain said:
It boggles my mind that someone could actually believe this is true.

Meh, hard-line extremist approach to piracy. "IF YOU DOWNLOAD IT THAT'S ONE LESS SALE".

People will believe anything.

DodgerSan

Well I don't have a Wii, and my PC gaming is Steamified.

So:

2) Alan Wake (bought)
3) Red Dead Redemption (bought)
4) Halo Reach (bought)

Along with
(I shudder to think how)
many other games this year.

Rolf NB

Legendary Warrior said:
Why Dante's Inferno?
This is mildly popular games with no online, or irrelevant online, versus hugely popular games where online multiplayer is front and center of the experience.

dejan

subversus said:
PC
4) Mass Effect 2 (3,240,000)
So what's the excuse here? The Cerberus Network? I'd really like to see some numbers of Ubisoft published games like The Settlers 7 and AssCreed 2. I'm expecting Witcher 2 to make the Top 5 next year.

Takao

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
It boggles my mind that someone could actually believe this is true.

It's not 1 = 1, but you're fooling yourself if you don't believe there are pirates, especially on the handhelds and consoles would have bought the game had they not been able to get it for free. I know a person who pirates games whom I told Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep had a large amount of piracy protection, and hadn't been cracked for a long while after Japanese launch actually say he was going to buy it if that happened for the English release. The game was cracked, he didn't buy it.

iam220

CozMick said:
Jesus Christ, PC piracy is fucking insane!

No wonder Developers are going elsewhere.

More people have pcs than 360's. So yeah.

Also, lets imagine for a second that all the developers abandon the pc all together. What are all the pirates who are used to getting their games for free going to do? Will they suddenly buy a console and start to purchase their games legitimately ? Fat chance! There is no escape for piracy , moving away from one platform will allow piracy to manifest itself even more on another.

Boney

Banned
Takao said:
It's not 1 = 1, but you're fooling yourself if you don't believe there are pirates, especially on the handhelds and consoles would have bought the game had they not been able to get it for free. I know a person who pirates games whom I told Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep had a large amount of piracy protection, and hadn't been cracked for a long while after Japanese launch actually say he was going to buy it if that happened for the English release. The game was cracked, he didn't buy it.
This doesn't really tell us anything. He could've bought KH and keep pirating the others. If there was no piracy, he could've just not bought KH and got other stuff. Or simply, not justify the system and paying for games and do nothing.

Takao said:

No, it isn't 1:1, but if it's closer to 1:1000, hard-line DRM which frustrates or even dissuades customers is beyond stupid...it's counter-intuitive. No offense but your anecdote does little to defend your point.

Ranger X

vocab said:
Ya, because the 360, Wii, DS, PSP are all pirate free AMIRIGHT?

PC Piracy won't ever disappear, but people shouldn't have to put up with DRM in the mean time. Developers are just asking for lost sales, and pirating.

Wait, this is no chicken or egg situation here bud. Since publishers can witness more and more what people do to their product, they try to reinforce their protection.
Is there wasn't so many people pirating stuff, they wouldn't try to protect themselves as much. The solution to get rid of stupid DRM is to stop pirating. More piracy will simply lead to more restrictive and punitive measures and therefore will affect good users's experience... leading to piracy again.

The only way out of this mess is people getting a fucking clue and starting to respect the people creating entertainment for them. Even when it's pirating "because it's not worth buying" for whatever reason of yours -- in this case it means you don't need to play it and shouldn't. Or else than pay for what you "try". Reality is that people that can't pass on an average game or whatever game they don't feel like buying are simply golden spoon fed bastards. If it's not good enough to be worth your money, it's not good enough to play/try/pirate and you should do something else with your precious time.

I'm assuming a lot of pirates are cheap assholes (obviously since they don't buy a game that's been 20 bucks since 3 - 4 months after launch) so I bet a huge chunk could barely even run the game (it's got pretty decent requirements; had to throw out the old dual core to play the damn game). Speaking of BC2 of course. I doubt the sales were affected much.

Ranger X said:
Is there wasn't so many people pirating stuff, they wouldn't try to protect themselves as much. The solution to get rid of stupid DRM is to stop pirating. More piracy will simply lead to more restrictive and punitive measures and therefore will affect good users's experience... leading to piracy again.

Well, I don't pirate at all, and there are games I won't buy because of the DRM. Piracy on PC will never go away, no matter what I do. So what's my solution?

vocab

dejan said:
So what's the excuse here? The Cerberus Network? I'd really like to see some numbers of Ubisoft published games like The Settlers 7 and AssCreed 2. I'm expecting Witcher 2 to make the Top 5 next year.

It's just another highly anticipated title. They all get pirated.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Wii Party? :lol

Pirates are casuals confirmed.
From videos it actually looks more hardcore than Mario Party 8 did. It's just that I loathe Miis and any games they star in or I might've been interested in the game.

Ranger X

echoshifting said:
Well, I don't pirate at all, and there are games I won't buy because of the DRM. Piracy on PC will never go away, no matter what I do. So what's my solution?

Easy, voting with your wallet is the way to go. If people don't buy a product they will change it or stop making it. You don't want stupid DRMs in your games? Don't pirate them and don't buy games with said stupid DRM.
Also, this is not about getting rid of piracy completely. I don't know why people are thinking completely white or black. How about we slowdown piracy to a point it doesn't matter much for publishers so you don't get those draconian protections on your games anymore?

Problem here is that this is as much an educational and society problem than a technology one.

Top Bottom