• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PORTLANDIA: Fred Armisen & Carrie Brownstein present Actually Funny Sketch Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i was interested, then i saw that peta thing with a pseudo naked david cross.

no thanks......

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
This is pretty funny. I'm only like 2 minutes in, but still... I'll give it a chance. Portland is where young people to go retire, haha. Funny.

edit: meh... not bad but I don't know if I'd tune in regularly for this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Funnier than expected imo. I have a friend who used to live in Portland who absolutely loathes the place who is going to eat this up.

Some good gags; really my only general complaint is that they go for a big punchy ending or sight gags when they don't need to. Just keep it subtleish and it's funny.

Dartastic

As a Portlander, I'm going to eat this shit UP. Didn't know it was already on Hulu. Watching it NOW.

Edit - Tucker Max protest. Hahahah!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Portland GAF check in! I'm not a huge fan of sketch comedy but I'll watch these when I get home.

ArtG

Pretty funny. I don't know how long it can really last to be honest--I mean, you can only make so many hippie/environmental jokes, right?

soco

Parallax said:
i was interested, then i saw that peta thing with a pseudo naked david cross.

no thanks......

the stuff i've seen of it, it's pretty much poking fun of these things.

Living 45-ish minutes outside of Portland
(Probably near Aliki Farms)
for nearly 1 1/2 years now and go into the city quite often. I was waiting for a thread about this, lots of pokes and gags at the local to eat right up.

If I'm not mistaken it's a mini-series with only 6-episodes correct? Or have there been more episodes requested?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a Portlander and the only part I found funny was the adult hide and seek. The rest of it was really not funny at all. This could have been much better.

big ander

Just watched. It wasn't laugh-out-loud hilarious, but it was amusingly quirky. Adult hide-and-seek and Steve Buscemi were great.
The Experiment said:
It was boring, inane crap.

Maybe I need to have lived in or around Portland to get some of the jokes.
Never been to the state of Oregon and I still found it funny.

JCX

Besides the song, my favorite part was the extended restaurant scene. It took an easy, dull joke and made it work because they refused to kill it early.

Shurs

I watched it.

It was okay.

I have no doubt that this resonates within their circle of friends, but it felt too "inside" to draw a broad audience, if that makes sense.

I've been smitten with Carrie since I was in high school, though, so it was nice to see her in the spotlight again.

Pctx

Banned
Portland peep here... For 30 yrs now. Show was easily one the funniest shows on tv since arrested development. Loved the inside jokes and it had inspired me to start a hide and seek league with an after party.

ArtG said:
Pretty funny. I don't know how long it can really last to be honest--I mean, you can only make so many hippie/environmental jokes, right?
I work in Portland and there are a lot of different ways to joke about that.

Forgot this was on, I'll have to check it out later this week.

Portland GAFer living in Eugene checking in!

This show totally nails Portland. You have to live here to really appreciate all the nuances in the jokes, and I laughed my ass off.

It's really hit-or-miss. Some of it is fucking hilarious. Some of it is painfully bad.

My favorites: Hipster cyclist, asian tourists in a coffee shop

The worst: Mayor of Portland, Cacao, Lesbian bookstore

I feel like it has a lot of potential though. The Lesbian bookstore sketch had sooo much potential, but it felt really forced.

For a bit of context, my Dad's ex-gf is a 50-something employee of the Portland Bureau of Recycling that shops at all the organic food stores and regularly shops at thrift stores and lesbian bookstores.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i had a hard time with the last ep. had to stop watching after the "GET OUT OF THERE" sketch tbh. a lot of the sketches have really good premises but the improv just doesn't work. almost makes me wish they woulda just done a way less over-the-top show and totally ditched any of the avant-gardeish stuff.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Show just keeps getting worse. I'm definitely done with it. The sketches go on way too long, way past being funny.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
ZephyrFate said:
get out of my state!
If the office I worked at in Vancouver was still there I'd move back to Washington in a heart beat. Fuck Oregon and fuck their income tax even harder.

WinoMcCougarstein said:
If the office I worked at in Vancouver was still there I'd move back to Washington in a heart beat. Fuck Oregon and fuck their income tax even harder.
God, I love our income tax. And our lack of a sales tax.

I've only seen the first two episodes, but I've actually found it pretty damn funny. Especially the 'safe word' sketch. Thumbs up so far.

KtSlime

As a native Portlander, I can vouch that this show is 100% accurate in how it stereotypes us. It's eerily spot on.

It's pretty funny too.

Commodore_Perry: You didn't like Sam Adams(Portland's Mayor) being a gofer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom